What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

It's a little late, as I stuck to my other crap, but here was my extended morning mix.  Some interesting transitions in this one... 

EVERCLEAR - HEROIN GIRL   I forgot how much some of their songs rock.  Good tune.  

DR. DRE - LET ME RIDE    love it.  However, I was a little surprised on my research how little the album as a whole held up.  There were a few tracks in there I could do without
Two of my picks back to back. :excited:  

Everclear rocked a lot less on subsequent albums, which is why I picked this one and not those.

This pick I'm sure is way off everyone's radar but it sold 11 million copies, won 2 grammys, got a 5-star Allmusic review, spawned 8 singles and despite that works perfectly as a cohesive album.

25.09 - Dixie Chicks - Fly (1999)

"Ready to Run" 3:52
"If I Fall You're Going Down with Me" 3:05
"Cowboy Take Me Away"  4:47
"Cold Day in July" 5:12
"Goodbye Earl"  4:19
"Hello Mr. Heartache"  3:49
"Don't Waste Your Heart" 2:49
"Sin Wagon"  3:37
"Without You"  3:32
"Some Days You Gotta Dance" 2:27
"Hole in My Head"  3:22
"Heartbreak Town"  3:53
"Let Him Fly"  3:07

I'm having trouble with this site tonight. I keep getting frozen, and then it says bad gateway or something like that. I re-enter another way. It says they will be doing maintenance on the site on May 31st for ten hours starting at 11 pm est.  Anyone else having issues now? 
yes

I'm having trouble with this site tonight. I keep getting frozen, and then it says bad gateway or something like that. I re-enter another way. It says they will be doing maintenance on the site on May 31st for ten hours starting at 11 pm est.  Anyone else having issues now? 
same

24.16 - The Verve - Urban Hymns (1997)

I suspect this pick won't be lauded by the cool kids, but I'm still mining my late-90s The Chicago Era.  The first Mr. krista - whose music and voice were often compared to Jeff Buckley, I'll have you know - composed music like this that was lush, exquisitely orchestrated, multi-layered. He loved this record, so we had it on repeat.  We weren't into That Song Everyone Knows From An Ad, but instead played these two the most frequently.  I hope that wikkid won't find them single-groove.

Sonnet

The Drugs Don't Work
Btw, meant the bold seriously.  wikkid, I'm hoping you might find something to like in these.

Yes.

Yup.  Happened several times now

Yeah, I was just locked out for a while as I was adding songs.  Strange.

Current shuffle

Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M. - a classic, and an album I would've taken had it lasted longer

The Jesus and Mary Chain - You Trip Me Up - one of those bands that I always enjoy, very much my style of music, odd transition from the Wu into this

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Anyhow - I kinda naturally assumed I wouldn't like this, since I've never known too much about them other than "it's not my kinda music", but I actually really enjoy this.  I always assumed it was more country/Americana, but it's a little bluesy, which I like.  She's got a helluva powerful voice.  I bet they put on a good live show.  Will have to actually sit down and listen to their stuff, give it a shot.

James Brown - I'll Go Crazy - of course it's great, it's the godfather

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night - I think this is sacrilege, but the early 90s grunge just doesn't do it for me.  I know this MTV Unplugged set is legendary, but not my thing.

Nick Drake - Time Has Told Me - I respect the musicianship, but too folksy for my liking personally

Peter Gabriel - That Voice Again - an artist I've always enjoyed but admittedly never listened to in-depth other than the hits.  Maybe a little slow for me.

Frightened Rabbit - The Modern Leper - not a band that I've listened to a ton, just never really had the draw.  Certainly my favorite of these past few.

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Anyhow - I kinda naturally assumed I wouldn't like this, since I've never known too much about them other than "it's not my kinda music", but I actually really enjoy this.  I always assumed it was more country/Americana, but it's a little bluesy, which I like.  She's got a helluva powerful voice.  I bet they put on a good live show.  Will have to actually sit down and listen to their stuff, give it a shot.
They're awesome live. 

I totally agree. I listened to some stuff today totally expecting to pick a different one of theirs and I think it’s like a top few Spoon album. 
Hot Thoughts is the same for me, actually. Like that thread I started a few months ago, Britt and the boys can bring a Three Axe Attack! like no other when the mood strikes them for their later material. The early stuff relies so heavily on minimalism that three axes overdo and muddle the message. The later stuff was meant for guitar ornamentation. 

24.39 Spoon - They Want My Soul (2014)

Rainy Taxi

Do You
This keeps creeping up in my upper echelon of Spoon albums. I really like this one. Top notch songwriting, IMHO. 
I love this one too. Actually thought it went already. My favourite will always be the Girls Can Tell/Kill The Moonlight/Gimme Fiction/Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga run but love the love for new Spoon. And also that they're like the 4th most drafted band here :wub:

I'm almost afraid to comment on some of the hip hop stuff because I'm sure it's all classic stuff that I've just never ever heard before. 

Case in point - Respiration by Black Star and Common is really ####### good IMO.

I love this one too. Actually thought it went already. My favourite will always be the Girls Can Tell/Kill The Moonlight/Gimme Fiction/Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga run but love the love for new Spoon. And also that they're like the 4th most drafted band here :wub:
I heard a critic once say the "very good but not great" Spoon. I couldn't help but think that was the biggest kick in the face to an otherwise great band from a dead era of pyrotechnic rock n' roll qua rock n' roll. But that was the cool part. Even people not disposed to be moved can say very good and call it for that. They're sort of undeniable in their relevance to the history of rock n' roll music scene. 

I'm almost afraid to comment on some of the hip hop stuff because I'm sure it's all classic stuff that I've just never ever heard before. 

Case in point - Respiration by Black Star and Common is really ####### good IMO.
You should feel very free to comment, even in the negative. That's Abrantes's pick, and he quoted it in the selection. It's freaking awesome. A billion Chapelle Show fans can't all be wrong.

Breathe in...

Breathe out...

You should feel very free to comment, even in the negative. That's Abrantes's pick, and he quoted it in the selection. It's freaking awesome. A billion Chapelle Show fans can't all be wrong.

Breathe in...

Breathe out...
It's funny because I almost tagged you and Tasker in that post assuming it was one of you who picked it.

yes
The servers are having problems processing KP's massive review post

Love in an Elevator - Aerosmith - Loving it up When I'm Going Down. My older brother had Pump and played the hell out of it, so that's probably where some of my Aerosmith fatigue comes from. They're kind of a weird band in that I can pick and choose songs I really like (and dislike) from all their different eras. It's not like I started hating or loving them at some point, they just sometimes hit for and sometimes don't. #### all that Armageddon soundtrack stuff though.

I'm going one at a time now because I don't trust this site tonight not to eat all my brilliant thoughts.

I will say that when art like this gets dismissed in one fell swoop, however, people suspect other things afoot besides mere critical judgment. Not even racism, the underlying cause many might be thinking as I type it. I think it's more misunderstanding, the inability to let a new form stand out and speak for itself. Abrantes hit the killer song of the draft for hip hop. If one song combines hip hop and poetry, surely it is this. If not surely, then I don't have much else, and it'll fly by, unnoticed. This is nothing short of Roman poetry and classics about the city by Juvenal, the satirist, among others. It finds its influence there. 

The new moon rode high in the crown of the metropolis
Shining, like who on top of this?
People was hustling, arguing and bustling
Gangsters of Gotham hardcore hustling
I'm wrestling with words and ideas
My ears is picky, seeking what will transmit
The scribes can apply to transcript, yo
This ain't no time where the usual is suitable
Tonight alive, let's describe the inscrutable
The indisputable, we New York the narcotic
Strength in metal and fiber optics
Where mercenaries is paid to trade hot stock tips
For profits, thirsty criminals take pockets
Hard knuckles on the second hands of working class watches
Skyscrapers is colossus, the cost of living
Is preposterous, stay alive, you play or die, no options
No Batman and Robin, can't tell between
The cops and the robbers, they both partners, they all heartless
With no conscience, back streets stay darkened
Where unbeliever hearts stay hardened
My eagle talons stay sharpened, like city lights stay throbbing
You either make a way or stay sobbing, the Shiny Apple
Is bruised but sweet and if you choose to eat
You could lose your teeth, many crews retreat
Nightly news repeat, who got shot down and locked down
Spotlight to savages, NASDAQ averages
My narrative, rose to explain this existence
Amidst the harbor lights which remain in the distance

So much on my mind that it can't recline
Blasting holes in the night til she bled sunshine
Breathe in, inhale vapors from bright stars that shine
Breathe out, weed smoke retrace the skyline
Heard the bass ride out like an ancient mating call
I can't take it y'all, I can feel the city breathing
Chest heaving, against the flesh of the evening
Sigh before we die like the last train leaving

I've been having access problems but liked the Primal Scream, Verve and Dylan picks.

Love the band but I don't really know individual Spoon albums that well but they're all pretty good.

The Dixie Chicks' new album has been delayed twice by Covid. 

Can't say I've ever listened to a Mamas & the Papas album.

I will say that when art like this gets dismissed in one fell swoop, however, people suspect other things afoot besides mere critical judgment. Not even racism, the underlying cause many might be thinking as I type it. I think it's more misunderstanding, the inability to let a new form stand out and speak for itself. 
I don't want to go the racism route but I think classism plays a part.

Users who are viewing this thread