What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (4 Viewers)

Buffaloes said:
24.21 D'Angelo - Voodoo

(2000)

Write up and songs later
This was a release that kind of came out of nowhere. Technically neo-soul, but this is a masterclass in funk, soul, r&b, hip hop, jazz, and probably some other genres I've neglected to mention here. silky smooth with top-class production and some serious instrumentals. missed out on my favorite Marvin Gaye album, some Prince and some others, but D did his homework and his roots are evident in this release. so in a way, got a little bit of all that here.

as for playlist songs:

Untitled (How does it feel)

Playa Playa

Replying to the quote below because wtf i can't figure this out, I'm glad you didn't spotlight this. I wanted to get a few 'essentials' and add this on the back end.

Eephus said:
This is the guy I wanted to spotlight as someone heavily influenced by the dank, murky funk that Sly pioneered on There's A Riot Goin' On.

SHUFFLE STATUS#!#!# - TOP 100 (50?) (20?) NV SONG OF ALL TIME ALERT THAT I DIDN'T DRAFT

HERE ARE YOUR CLUES:

MAIN VOCALS BY A DUDE

BRIDGE DOMINATED BY INCREDIBLE FEMALE BACKING VOCALS

WOOOOO-OOOOO-OOOOO-OOOOOO

HEY-LA, HEY-LA, HEY-LA, HEY-LA

quick spin

Smashing Pumpkins/Mayonaise - I like the Pumpkins and though I appreciate the heavy fuzz, they have a lot better to offer

Tom Petty/Louisiana Rain - I could listen to most anything he does, this sounds like a bad Garth Brooks song

The Damned/I Feel Alright - well ok then, a little punk pick-me-up

James Brown/Lost Someone (Live) - there's only one thing I can say ...was never a big fan, but he is undeniable

Allman Brothers/Melissa - happens to be one of my picks, classic, quality Southern rock and roll

Hawkwind/Orgone Accumulator - takes me back ...good old blues based British rock

I don't want to go the racism route but I think classism plays a part.
Yeah, neither do I. As I was typing it out, I was thinking that people on this very board who have supported broad and inclusive or egalitarian social causes do not like hip hop, therefore chalking up potential disdain up to its status as a newer form that wasn't even that artistic in its poetry until very late in the game. Transformed, it was, as it were. 

And the subject matter of a lot of songs hasn't moved from the street. Orwell would be proud in his own erudite way about this, but for many it is too much, too vulgar to speak of. Regardless, I just wanted to post the lyrics, say even negative comments are welcome, and to come in, the water's warm. There is no P in our OOL. 

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - Led Zeppelin - I really like this. Despite holding them up an example of being kind of samey, I love most of what they do, and even more when they branch out. I went through a huge LZ phase when I was probably 15 but they're not part of my regular rotation these days. I blame classic rock radio in the 90s/00s

Ok then...

23...IDLES- Joy as an Act of Resistance

Colossus

Danny NedelkoNedelko

#1IDLESfan

So many tunes I'd pick here...pretty much all of them except the song about Joe's still born kid. The hair raising Colossus of course, and crowd favorite sing along, Danny Nedelko leaving my other fave, never fight a man with a perm on the outs. Still good advice.
God I love Danny Nedelko. My #1 song that year.

I will say that when art like this gets dismissed in one fell swoop, however, people suspect other things afoot besides mere critical judgment. Not even racism, the underlying cause many might be thinking as I type it. I think it's more misunderstanding, the inability to let a new form stand out and speak for itself. Abrantes hit the killer song of the draft for hip hop. If one song combines hip hop and poetry, surely it is this. If not surely, then I don't have much else, and it'll fly by, unnoticed. This is nothing short of Roman poetry and classics about the city by Juvenal, the satirist, among others. It finds its influence there. 

The new moon rode high in the crown of the metropolis
Shining, like who on top of this?
People was hustling, arguing and bustling
Gangsters of Gotham hardcore hustling
I'm wrestling with words and ideas
My ears is picky, seeking what will transmit
The scribes can apply to transcript, yo
This ain't no time where the usual is suitable
Tonight alive, let's describe the inscrutable
The indisputable, we New York the narcotic
Strength in metal and fiber optics
Where mercenaries is paid to trade hot stock tips
For profits, thirsty criminals take pockets
Hard knuckles on the second hands of working class watches
Skyscrapers is colossus, the cost of living
Is preposterous, stay alive, you play or die, no options
No Batman and Robin, can't tell between
The cops and the robbers, they both partners, they all heartless
With no conscience, back streets stay darkened
Where unbeliever hearts stay hardened
My eagle talons stay sharpened, like city lights stay throbbing
You either make a way or stay sobbing, the Shiny Apple
Is bruised but sweet and if you choose to eat
You could lose your teeth, many crews retreat
Nightly news repeat, who got shot down and locked down
Spotlight to savages, NASDAQ averages
My narrative, rose to explain this existence
Amidst the harbor lights which remain in the distance

So much on my mind that it can't recline
Blasting holes in the night til she bled sunshine
Breathe in, inhale vapors from bright stars that shine
Breathe out, weed smoke retrace the skyline
Heard the bass ride out like an ancient mating call
I can't take it y'all, I can feel the city breathing
Chest heaving, against the flesh of the evening
Sigh before we die like the last train leaving
Related: Beer 30

3rd Planet - Modest Mouse - Pretty shocking how far this album fell in the draft. It's still my favourite of theirs front to back, this is one of the standouts.  

The 3rd planet is sure that they're being watched
By an eye in the sky that can't be stopped... when you get to the promise land
You're gonna shake that eye's hand

SHUFFLE STATUS#!#!# - TOP 100 (50?) (20?) NV SONG OF ALL TIME ALERT THAT I DIDN'T DRAFT

HERE ARE YOUR CLUES:

MAIN VOCALS BY A DUDE

Have you arrived at this point on the shuffle?

The Medication is Wearing Off - Eels Electro-Shock Blues is an ALBUM. It's almost weird hearing this outside the context of that album. I don't think I've ever listened to it any other way. Shuffle probably won't bring P.S. You Rock My World next, will it?

HERE ARE YOUR CLUES:

MAIN VOCALS BY A DUDE

The Great Gig in the Sky?

Wasted Nun - Cherry Glazerr - Another band I saw open for Spoon (other tonight was Deerhunter). Spoon spreading not just their own greatness but bringing us even more fantastic bands at the same time. Mrs. NV absolutely hated Cherry Glazerr. I like them. Not new to me but always happy to go back to it. 

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - Led Zeppelin - I really like this. Despite holding them up an example of being kind of samey, I love most of what they do, and even more when they branch out. I went through a huge LZ phase when I was probably 15 but they're not part of my regular rotation these days. I blame classic rock radio in the 90s/00s
So fine...

The Medication is Wearing Off - Eels Electro-Shock Blues is an ALBUM. It's almost weird hearing this outside the context of that album. I don't think I've ever listened to it any other way. Shuffle probably won't bring P.S. You Rock My World next, will it?
I need to listen to this as an album. 

One hour to Top Chef on the West Coast

No spoilers
🤞

I don't like to skip but the Grandmaster Flash tribute is almost eight minutes long.
That was my pick.  I guess "wickety wickety wack" isn't a good thing.  :(  

I will say that when art like this gets dismissed in one fell swoop, however, people suspect other things afoot besides mere critical judgment. Not even racism, the underlying cause many might be thinking as I type it. I think it's more misunderstanding, the inability to let a new form stand out and speak for itself. Abrantes hit the killer song of the draft for hip hop. If one song combines hip hop and poetry, surely it is this. If not surely, then I don't have much else, and it'll fly by, unnoticed. This is nothing short of Roman poetry and classics about the city by Juvenal, the satirist, among others. It finds its influence there. 

The new moon rode high in the crown of the metropolis
Shining, like who on top of this?
People was hustling, arguing and bustling
Gangsters of Gotham hardcore hustling
I'm wrestling with words and ideas
My ears is picky, seeking what will transmit
The scribes can apply to transcript, yo
This ain't no time where the usual is suitable
Tonight alive, let's describe the inscrutable
The indisputable, we New York the narcotic
Strength in metal and fiber optics
Where mercenaries is paid to trade hot stock tips
For profits, thirsty criminals take pockets
Hard knuckles on the second hands of working class watches
Skyscrapers is colossus, the cost of living
Is preposterous, stay alive, you play or die, no options
No Batman and Robin, can't tell between
The cops and the robbers, they both partners, they all heartless
With no conscience, back streets stay darkened
Where unbeliever hearts stay hardened
My eagle talons stay sharpened, like city lights stay throbbing
You either make a way or stay sobbing, the Shiny Apple
Is bruised but sweet and if you choose to eat
You could lose your teeth, many crews retreat
Nightly news repeat, who got shot down and locked down
Spotlight to savages, NASDAQ averages
My narrative, rose to explain this existence
Amidst the harbor lights which remain in the distance

So much on my mind that it can't recline
Blasting holes in the night til she bled sunshine
Breathe in, inhale vapors from bright stars that shine
Breathe out, weed smoke retrace the skyline
Heard the bass ride out like an ancient mating call
I can't take it y'all, I can feel the city breathing
Chest heaving, against the flesh of the evening
Sigh before we die like the last train leaving
The body guard dude from John Wick was involved with this I believe.

Just finished season one of Making a Murderers.  I'm so angry I now find myself cheering for the rioters on TV.  This country got really effed up since I last had only four TV channels.  Oof.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like to skip but the Grandmaster Flash tribute is almost eight minutes long.
That was my pick.  I guess "wickety wickety wack" isn't a good thing.  :(  
Love the Flash album and occasionally have flashbacks to dancing to Scorpio at a house party we threw in July 1984.

The version on the playlist isn't the original recording.  It's just wrong.

The body guard dude from John Wick was involved with this I believe.
I wouldn't get the reference, to be honest. Never saw John Wick nor knew of his bodyguard. 
I won't watch John Wick because as I understand it, it centers around a dog dying and I'm that guy. My two pooches have been beside me all night as I've shuffled through the evening. 

Also, I think the Killers album isn't actually coming out tonight, they should email me personally if they are going to do this.  :(

I won't watch John Wick because as I understand it, it centers around a dog dying and I'm that guy. My two pooches have been beside me all night as I've shuffled through the evening. 

Also, I think the Killers album isn't actually coming out tonight, they should email me personally if they are going to do this.  :(
It isn't just a dog dying, it is a puppy being murdered. By Russian mobsters, of course.

24... Various Artists- Duck Dance vs China Town (1988)

Hear me now...

Side 1- duck dance

Duck Dance: Inna De Dance Again/Jump and Spread Out/Show Me Respect/Another For You/DJ Find Me/Every DJ Wah Bust

by Little John/Johnny P/Lady English & Sister Linda/Michael Marshall/Lecturer

Side 2- china town

China Town: Don't Throw It All Way/Greatest Girl Lover/You're A Big Girl Now/Stand Up and Fight/Get Up Stand Up/No Weh No Better Than Yard

by Home T/Anthony Malvo & Daddy Lizard/Hopeton James/Leslie Thunder/Shabba Ranks/Admiral Bailey

Got to be friends with a grad student from Ghana my last year in college and ended up at a few parties with his African and Caribbean friends. This was a staple each time and got the place dimming the lights dark and sweaty in seconds. All the dancehall stars of the year in one big mix. I'd play the record at my own parties and we'd end up just flipping it over and over for hours. Hear me now!

Depeche Mode - Stripped (Live) - No disrespect to DM in particular but most live albums have an element of you had to be there.  There are a special few that transcend that and improve on the studio versions.  This song had a nice intro but never went anywhere after that.

The Proclaimers - 500 Miles - Griyt phookin toon

Titus Andronicus - A More Perfect Union - this is a easier record to respect than to love.  You really have to listen to lyrics but my concentration wavers during the long instrumental breaks.  This jig dancing bit reminds me of a Punk Jethro Tull.

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick - Oh #### me.   22:40 of this.  Don't tell Mrs. Rannous I'm going into the other room while it plays.

Bummer on both counts. I can relate to not wanting to watch entertainment that sets as very real that which I find either sad or offensive. 

Users who are viewing this thread