What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (4 Viewers)

For some reason, whenever I'm ITC, I expect what happened to  Dr. Manhattan is going to happen to me.

26.27: Son of a Son of a Sailor - Jimmy Buffett (1978)

Except for the lack of money, one of my favorite eras was when I was in college and working at a place called the Terrapin Taco House (any U of Md. alums circa 1970-2000 may remember the place).  The last few years I worked there, 2 former employees bought the place from the original owner, and one of them was a huge Buffett fan. There was hardly a time when some song or other of his wasn't playing in the background.  I never really enjoyed Margaritaville, but I did like some of the songs that didn't get on the radio, including the two for the playlist: Livingston Saturday Night and Cowboy in the Jungle.

I need some CCR on the Island, went to my brothers 30th birthday party in Queens back in '85, he got Chronicle on CD, a bit of a music late bloomer,  I was 19 at the time, and I put it on to check it out and it blew me away hearing those songs for the first time.  If we were choosing greatest hits comps, that would be in my top 3 easy.

rd 26 - Creedance Clearwater Revival - Willy and the Poor Boys - 1969

• down on the corner 
  • fortunate son
spinning now

Willy and the Poor Boys
I forgot about this.  Great pick.  Top ten imo.

Coming strong with the Screaming Trees declarative. I don't know...I never dug Mark Lanegan's voice. I think I still like others a bit better. About ten of them better. 

I intended to wait for a couple of obvious albums to be plucked before firing this bullet, but it appears as though this crop’s got a thing against this Americana bastardized Rolling Stones-knock off. I think this pick is driven by drenched nostalgia for me, but I’m curious how others feel about it.

Round 26 - Aerosmith, Permanent Vacation (1987)

This was the first cassette tape I ever bought. It was summer 93 and I heard them over the loud speakers at the city pool (Livin On The Edge). I asked a friend’s parent who was there with us who it was then I set out to the record store that day to make the purchase. Only I didn’t consider that an artist could have multiple different albums. The brain of a 10 year old, huh. So I couldn’t tell you why I bought this one, but I did, and while waiting for that song that never came I was too busy rocking out to the rest to realize this wasn’t the right one until some time during the final instrumental.

It isn’t a once-a-monther, but it still gets dialed up front-to-back at least a few times per year. Sometimes I even listen to Angel. And I’ve tried their others, some good/some not, but since I keep coming back to this I’m taking this one with me.

Heart's Done Time

Hangman Jury
I had it, but they have better albums out there undrafted.

I need some CCR on the Island, went to my brothers 30th birthday party in Queens back in '85, he got Chronicle on CD, a bit of a music late bloomer,  I was 19 at the time, and I put it on to check it out and it blew me away hearing those songs for the first time.  If we were choosing greatest hits comps, that would be in my top 3 easy.

rd 26 - Creedance Clearwater Revival - Willy and the Poor Boys - 1969

• down on the corner 
  • fortunate son
spinning now

Willy and the Poor Boys
Nice. I've never given a CCR album a spin beyond greatest hits albums. I suppose I should try, because their Chronicle Vol 1 and Vol 2 albums were on steady rotation for me back in the middle school. 

I intended to wait for a couple of obvious albums to be plucked before firing this bullet, but it appears as though this crop’s got a thing against this Americana bastardized Rolling Stones-knock off.

Cinderella and Faster #####cat just kicked rocks. No drafty, well, except for Zilla maybe. 

I'll take Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams

Was gonna take this way back in the teens, then I forgot.  I need an active list, lol. I always thought Winter Time was his best tune myself.

Songs are..

No.TitleWriter(s)Length

1."Threshold"Steve Miller1:05

2."Jet Airliner"Paul Pena4:25

3."Winter Time"Miller3:10

4."Swingtown"Miller, Chris McCarty3:54

5."True Fine Love"Miller3:10

6."Wish Upon a Star"Miller3:39

7."Jungle Love"Lonnie Turner, Greg Douglass3:10

8."Electro Lux Imbroglio"Miller0:55

9."Sacrifice"Curley Cooke, Les Dudek5:17

10."The Stake"David Denny3:56

11."My Own Space"Jason Cooper, Bobby Winkelman3:00

12."Babes in the Wood"Miller2:40

Wintertime

True Fine Love

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I've never given a CCR album a spin beyond greatest hits albums. I suppose I should try, because their Chronicle Vol 1 and Vol 2 albums were on steady rotation for me back in the middle school. 
I'm not a fan of Fogerty's extended guitar jams.  He's best when pumping out four minutes of Rock 'n Roll. 

Willy and Cosmo's have so many familiar songs on them that have become a part of American culture.

I'm not a fan of Fogerty's extended guitar jams.  He's best when pumping out four minutes of Rock 'n Roll. 

Willy and Cosmo's have so many familiar songs on them that have become a part of American culture.
Thanks. That is the album I hear about a lot. I assume it went about 15-20 rounds ago. And while I have never heard an extended Fogerty guitar jam, that doesn't sound good. 

There is one reason and one reason only I went to see this artist on July 31, 2004. Sex. The ticket was free. I didn't have to drive. We had piles of booze and food leftover from a party from the night before. I just needed to deal with a couple hours of lousy music. Seemed like a good price to pay. Then I was enlightened.

Round 25 - John Mayer, Where The Light Is: Live in LA (2007)

So apparently this guy really isn't the pop-knock off of Dave Matthews that just does a dozen different renditions of Bigger Than My Body and Your Body Is A Wonderland. At the beginning of that day that's who I thought he was. I learned better that night. He's more modern day blues-jazz than pop-adult contemporary. So I chose this because of that first exposure, live actual Mayer isn't anything like the radio version I knew prior. But more than that, those two abominations of music are nowhere to be seen. That acoustic guitar may have been his vehicle into the industry, but it isn't who he really is.

Vultures

Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
He’s really good playing with the Dead also.

Rd 26

The Slits - Cut (1979)

... more '79 goodness!

took these gals awhile to lay their cacaphonous mishmash of punky ska/reggae down - they were the first all female act to really hit on the scene, and the members all had various ties to the big guys in the rooms  ... lead singer Ari Up would become Rotten's stepdaughter, guitarist Viv Albertine had relationships with Sid and Mick Jones (Clash), and is rumored to have been the muse for "Train In Vain".

Albertine was the centerpiece here in forming the band ... she kicked around with various startups and failures ... then good pal Chrissy Hynde lit a real fire under her ###, and off she went to form the Slits. 

the footage of their early live gigs is brutal ... they were a pure noise punk extravaganza - part shtick, part lack of polish - but they clicked with the fans, and became a staple on the circuits, supporting the Clash most often ... Strumner really believed in the gals, he just thought they needed to constantly play live to better hone their skills. 

by the time they got into the studio for this debut, drummer Palmolive had left ... Siouxsie's drummer (and future husband) Budgie provided the majority of the album's percussion. 

it's such an influential and groundbreaking work ... the great D.I.Y. ethos meshed with the powerful woman's point of view made for a landmark release which shaped many who followed. 

So Tough  -  for Sid

Typical Girls (track begins at 1:15 mark in this vid)

Thanks. That is the album I hear about a lot. I assume it went about 15-20 rounds ago. And while I have never heard an extended Fogerty guitar jam, that doesn't sound good. 
The long version of I Heard It Through the Grapevine has about five minutes of riffing.

Users who are viewing this thread