Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

Losing My Edge by ADD Soundsystem: this is a band where I either love the song or hate the song, no mids. Maybe because so many songs are 7 minutes long and it is a commitment to hang with a sketchy 1 groove electronica if it doesn’t grab you...this one doesn’t really grab me

Sweet Transvestite by Tim Curry:  I honestly have never heard this full song before or seen the full RHPS movie but this song is pretty good. Curry would have made a hell of a rock star or at least Bowie impersonator 

Be Sweet by The Afghan Whigs:  I got a #### for a brain and my brain is gonna sell my ### to you  ???

Kid Charlemagne by Dan of Steel: Ok, I can hear why Kanye sampled this. The hook is gold and the band really is loose. I might actually like Steely Dan?

Nutshell (album version): I feel like this song keeps coming up at an improbable rate. I am not complaining though, I am a big fan of Alice in Chains.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Abrantes said:

:hifive:

Yeeeeeeeeeep. 'Bout to crash, but prepping to interpret a mock lecture on international relations for class tomorrow. Y'all can keep on skipping me 'til I check back (likely 'round 2, 3PM tomorrow)! 

Happy mocking

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simey said:

I eat red meat, but not a lot of it. If I become a vegetarian (never vegan) or pescatarian like my oldest nephew, the thing I would miss most would be a good steak now and then.

We eat fish and fowl. I gave up red meat Iirc when our son was born 13 years ago. My wife stopped when she was 18 or so. I was never really a big meat eater anyways...only ate an occasional steak (1x/year) and lamb...more of the burgers and pork. Those were harder to give up and replicate with turkey for me...but ultimately hasn't been missed too much, and has been filled with more fish. And I'm not ruthless about it regarding the pork...I'll have carnitas or regular bacon every now and then. But yeah...sometimes when neighbors start grilling burgers- i get to jonesing.

Oh #### it.  Been dragging my feet on the metal, but we have Angel of Death and some SOAD in the playlist, so I am not going to feel bad about adding this duo, especially since I am adding each band's late stage tamer stuff.  

I blab about this band a lot in these drafts and we have some new ears, so I will blab again.   They ditched the back and forth between normal and growly vocals about a decade ago, and judging by some of the songs drafted that lean to the proggy side, I think there are a few in this draft that would dig this album especially.  As I've said before, this is probably the band I have listened to the most in the last 10-15 years, so of course I would have them on the island.   Honestly, most of my island of 40 albums would probably just be about 5 Floyd albums, 6-7 from these guys, 5 RH, 4 Talking Heads, etc..  Always been impressed with the music, enough so that it got me over that initial hump of dealing with the growls that I didn't usually go for in my metal.  But as I said, those are long gone.  Pretty sure the albums for this turn and the songs were taken in our 50 year draft, but now I put them in the playlist.   Love the drumming on these two tracks...

26.40?:  OPETH - PALE COMMUNIION (2014)

Eternal Rains Will Come

Cusp of Eternity

Seeing a trend here, but grabbing another album featuring yet another of my current favorite metal drummers.  Just exhausting watching and listening to this guy play.  It always feels like the rest of the band is trying to play catch-up with him on a lot of the songs.  Like Opeth, these guys have softened a bit, but still kick ### and their last album has become one of my favorites.  

27.01:  MASTODON - EMPEROR OF SAND (2017)

Precious Stones  <----  found a link of Brann playing the song.  :jawdrop:

Andromeda    <---- Not Brann, but another favorite youtube rabbit hole of this guy that does great covers of a lot of Tool songs, but others as well.  

• Like 5

I eat a lot of meat ...I mean a lot

all kinds of lunchmeat, dried meats, ground beef, prime rib, bacon, sausage, pork tenderloin, ground pork, spam, lamb, chicken - baked, fried, poached ...I'm sure I have left some out 

and cheese ...don't get me started.

ETA:  I cook 9lbs of bacon at a time in the oven (takes all afternoon but totally worth it - buy three 3lb pkgs of the thick slice when it goes on sale)

Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Listening to the mix and "She Sells Sanctuary" by The Cult just came on. Was this a hit? The title seems familiar, but I don't ever recall hearing it before.

Yeah, it was definitely an alt-rock hit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Listening to the mix and "She Sells Sanctuary" by The Cult just came on. Was this a hit? The title seems familiar, but I don't ever recall hearing it before.

WHAT?

The words in your post appear to English, but I can't make heads or tails of the content.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

1 minute ago, Binky The Doormat said:

all kinds of lunchmeat, dried meats, ground beef, prime rib, bacon, sausage, pork tenderloin, ground pork, spam, lamb, chicken - baked, fried, poached ...I'm sure I have left some out 

I get most of my caloric intake from animal fats and proteins (meat, dairy, eggs) along with a decent amount of vegetables.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Read that as a combo of spam spam spam spam...and bubba Gump.

• Laughing 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Hot dog hats can read the rice loaf? 

:lmao:  Well done.  I was going for some of the traditional accoutrements in seeing RHPS.  I couldn't find something appropriate for a water pistol or playing cards, but I got frankfurter, hat, newspaper, rice, and toast.

• Like 1

Just now, Uruk-Hai said:

Welp. I guess one of the blind spots in my music game just became apparent :lol:

That's a great album, fwiw. Toed the line between alt/new wave fans and metal. Kinda like a primer for the former group who had been listening to a lot of symths and less hard guitars.

1 minute ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Gotta be careful for that processed meat. I would miss steak the most if I cut out animals, but pork I think is good in so many different ways. I live in one of the BBQ capitals. Pigs are smart too, which makes me feel bad about eating them, and NC still uses some of the gestation methods on the pigs, and it makes me sick. I'll probably still eat a pork chop this week. I'm hell bound.  One of these days I more than likely will become a pescatarian.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

The idea that you, a well known music nerd, have never heard "She Sells Sanctuary" is incredibly bizarre. So much so that it seems implausible.

I dunno, man. As I said, the title was pinging me but the music didn't sound familiar. But '80s/90s (it WAS '80s/90s, right?) alternative is not my strong suit.

Janie Jones - The Clash - I like their late period where they'd try anything vs. the early Punk stuff.  There were lots of Punk bands in 1977 but none with the musical ambition of Strummer and Jones.

Portishead - Glory Box - Beautiful but unsettling.  You have to be in the right mood.

Neil - Down by the River - Beautiful but unsettling.  You have to be in the right mood.

U2 - The Fly - Never been a big U2 guy but I've listened to all of em. I love their early stuff for nostalgic reasons but this is near peak

Iron & Wine - Resurrection Fern - This is really nice.  Always enjoy him but rarely listen.  Betcha he has a humdinger of a quarantine beard.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, krista4 said:

I'm listening to a lot of stuff tonight from The Chicago Era, and it reminds me of pizza. 

Wait, let me explain.  Mr. krista grew up with this horrible non-pizza thing in the OH/PA/WV area where they just cook the crust and sauce, and then when it comes out of the oven they throw a bunch of provolone and the toppings on it.  Awful, right?  But it's what he grew up with and he loves it. Similarly, there is a pizza called "Pizza King" or "Arni's" that I grew up with (I think @shuke might have it by him, too?), which I recognize objectively is not a good pizza, but I grew up with it and love it.

Similarly, anything I listened to in that 1996-2001ish time of my life is pretty much going to be beloved by me, because that's when I musically grew up (along with my senior year of college).  I'm not saying any of this is awful like that pizza is, but I know I'm going to appreciate it more than anyone else.  

Which is also why there's probably no additional records from that time period that I'll be sniping from anyone else.  The stuff I'm taking will be mostly highly personal to me.

There was a Cassano's Pizza King where I grew up in Dayton, and also a Pizza King in northern Indiana where I lived for a while.

Neither of them threw the cheese and toppings on when the pizza came out of the oven.  Don't be ridiculous.

• Like 1

Just now, shuke said:

There was a Cassano's Pizza King where I grew up in Dayton, and also a Pizza King in northern Indiana where I lived for a while.

Neither of them threw the cheese and toppings on when the pizza came out of the oven.  Don't be ridiculous.

her Pizza King is not the Dayton - Cincy area Pizza King (link in her post) ...it does look pretty bad

3 minutes ago, shuke said:

You and Binky both seem to have mixed up the two different pizzas I posted about, so I guess I wasn't clear.  The "throw toppings on later" place is where Mr. krista grew up, in the WV/PA/OH corridor.  The one I linked.  Not the Pizza King.

Edited by krista4

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

You and Binky both seem to have mixed up the two different pizzas I posted about, so I guess I wasn't clear.  The "throw toppings on later" place is where Mr. krista grew up, in the WV/PA/OH corridor.  The one I linked.  Not the Pizza King.

Still don't believe it.

7 minutes ago, simey said:

Gotta be careful for that processed meat. I would miss steak the most if I cut out animals, but pork I think is good in so many different ways. I live in one of the BBQ capitals. Pigs are smart too, which makes me feel bad about eating them, and NC still uses some of the gestation methods on the pigs, and it makes me sick. I'll probably still eat a pork chop this week. I'm hell bound.  One of these days I more than likely will become a pescatarian.

My mother & I were talking about this recently. I grew up pretty poor, but we ate very little store-bought food. We raised and canned veggies that would last us through the winter. We hunted and stored that meat. We also butchered our own beef/pork/poultry, and harvested seafood (LOTS of fish) out of the Bay. I don't think I ate store-bought meat or veggies (except at a restaurant) until I was well into my 20s. She'd buy lunch meat for our school meals, but that's about it. She swears that's why most of our family is long-lived.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

It's West Virginia. Anything is possible.

I remember the old joke that the state flower of WV is the satellite dish.  West Virginia gets a rap for being a backwards bumpkin place, but it has some beautiful landscapes there. I like to go skiing in West Virginia or go to the river gorge. NC gets its share of hillbilly digs too. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Yeah "Love" by The Cult was a big hit. Then they made a huge pivot with their next release "Electric" produced by Rick Rubin. Here's a sample:

https://youtu.be/k6PgftKbQnQ

• Like 1

Deerhunter - Desire Lines - Get them mixed up with Deerhoof.  I liked the song but it sure took its sweet time going away.  Long meandering instrumental outro without a lot going on.

Marcus King - Wildflowers & Wine - Nice voice.  Hey it's a 2020 release.

The Sundays - My Finest Hour - Ms. Wheeler has a lovely voice and the boys can do Johnny Marr.

Gram In My Hour of Darkness - The shuffle has given me more than a Gram's worth.  I think I like GP better as an album but this is great too.

The Cars - Stranger Eyes - Did Mutt Lange produce Heartbeat City?  I know Roy Thomas Baker was gone.  I used to know this.

6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Private to @Eephus only:

Just finished Top Chef - felt like I wasn't into it last night so put it off.  Happy to see that four of five remaining would be worthy winners.

Watched it last night.  Curious who you think is unworthy with Malarkey's grand exit