Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

17 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Round 22

JOHN BUTLER TRIO - GRAND NATIONAL

(2007)

I haven’t thought about this band in years but it suddenly came to me.  Grooves galore and some really great guitar playing.  

Better Than

Used to Get High

I'm happily surprised to see this. I've seen them a few times, and have a sticker somewhere around here from one of their shows. 

Edited by simey
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Comparing Ziggy to Low is like two different artists.

Every so often, I'll listen to one of his 80s or 90s albums to see if I like them any better this time.  None are bad and some are quite good but he had set the bar impossibly high.

The only concert I've ever lost my voice at was at a David Bowie concert. It wasn't like I was hollering the whole time. I don't know if I was singing loud or going woooo too much or what, but after the show I lost my voice completely. I saw him two more times after that, but my voice was fine. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, simey said:

The only concert I've ever lost my voice at was at a David Bowie concert. It wasn't like I was hollering the whole time. I don't know if I was singing loud or going woooo too much or what, but after the show I lost my voice completely. I saw him two more times after that, but my voice was fine. 

Saw the Serious Moonlight tour and saw him perform on stage as the Elephant Man at the Blackstone in Chicago circa 1980.

didn't lose my voice either time.

• Like 1

The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Truly awesome. I love the melody.

Radiohead - Bodysnatchers - Pretty cool. Makes me want to listen to In Rainbows again, something I haven't done in ages.

Pearl Jam - Black - I make fun of high school break-ups to this song. Am I a cynic? Maybe. Did I spend one night with this song after a two-year break up? Maybe. So maybe my schadenfreude is just pain resurfacing. Either way, it's certainly downtempo. Heard so many times it gets the skip treatment.

Tears For Fears - Suffer The Children - Somebody wanted this on their island? Cool, I guess. I have respect for Tears For Fears for their "Mad World" song that Donnie Darko made so popular. It's sort of bouncing along pleasantly but I get a feeling that it's hiding the lyrics.

Whistle Down The Wind - Nick Heyward - Okay. There's a Colin Blunstone-esque breathy vocal thing going on. He actually said "in my humors," I think. This is also rather pleasant. Good chorus. Or is that a bridge? It's a bridge. We just got to the chorus. "Hello, Hello, Hope you're feeling fine. Hope you're feeling mine?" Oof -- next song.

Cut-Out Witch - Guided By Voices - Where's @Apple Jack. He'd dig this the most. I like it, too. A lot. GBV and Yo La Tengo are two bands I've always known I'd like, like everything I hear, but haven't clawed their way into regular rotation. Robert Pollard for the win! Great Song, nice fadeout.

Police On My Back - The Clash - Oh, Sandinista! Such terrible album politics (ahem). Such a good song. They even sort of make the guitars sound like sirens. This actually sounds like Livin' After Midnight by Judas Priest, only it predates it. Song could be edited down to an even sleeker time.

No song has been over eight minutes yet. Not even close. Well, Black was, but we skipped that. Oops, just jinxed that.

So What - Miles Davis - Oh, you tricky jizzy jazz heads. I've heard this before. Your place in culture is safe, apparently. Slick. Sublime, actually. This brings back memories of lying down face first in piles of powders. Well, okay, not really. They were always in little glassine baggies and I never had enough of them. Goes to show, huh?

Express Yourself - N.W.A. - The first rap song I ever found truly palatable. I still dig Dre's sample idea and Yella's turntablism. Love it. Well, I picked the darn thing.

Dulcimer Song/The Other Side - Aerosmith - Oh. Late-era Aerosmith. I played the hell out of this my sophomore or junior year summer when I had a crush on KK. Uh huh. Always wanted to make the call. Never did. It would have worked, apparently, we found out years later. So this album will always take me there.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 7

The Delicate Place - Spoon - I love this. It has whistling from out of nowhere that builds into a riff that grows throughout the song.

Statesboro Blues - The Allman Brothers Band - I dug this. Easily could have heard it on classic rock radio in my youth, if our classic rock had been forward-thinking. We did have WCCC 106.9. Connecticut's independent.

Dear Prudence - The Beatles - I don't think I've really listened to this that much as hippie-era Beatles are not my favorite. Really a quality song, though. Love it.

Backstreet Freestyle - Kendrick Lamar - ilov80's love child. Martin had a dream/Martin had a dream/Kendrick have a dream. This song was stuck in my head when I was in Spain last summer. It dominated my thoughts. Start up that Maserati/and vroom vroom I'm racing. It's quite clear I've become like the kids. The stuff that really turns my crank is unadulterated hip hop made with skill.

Cover Me - Percy Sledge - A+

Wandering Star - Portishead - Pretty dope. Reminds me of certain bars you go to, though. Like the Corona Milk Bar in Clockwork Orange. With nice martini glasses and attempts at modernity with white countertops and frosted glass. Latex. Lots of latex, too. But not for that reason. Just a teaser. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

25 minutes ago, simey said:

I wish my wife could go to that show

• Laughing 4

18 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Saw the Serious Moonlight tour and saw him perform on stage as the Elephant Man at the Blackstone in Chicago circa 1980.

didn't lose my voice either time.

Only time I saw Bowie in concert was in the late 90s (I think) when he toured with Nine Inch Nails. It was extra cool when he came on to do a couple NIN songs with them and then Trent came onstage in Bowie’s set to do a couple of his songs. 

I didn’t lose my voice, but I’m pretty sure I couldn’t hear clearly for a couple weeks since I was too close to some of the speakers. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Backstreet Freestyle - Kendrick Lamar - ilov80's love child. Martin had a dream/Martin had a dream/Kendrick have a dream. This song was stuck in my head when I was in Spain last summer. It dominated my thoughts. Start up that Maserati/and vroom vroom I'm racing. It's quite clear I've become like the kids. The stuff that really turns my crank is unadulterated hip hop made with skill.

C-O-M-P-T-O-N, I win then ball at your defeat
C-O-M-P-T-O-N, my city mobbin' in the street

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 2

27.xx  Rufus Wainwright - Poses (2001)

Poses

Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk

Rufus was the first concert my daughters attended in 2007, 12 and 8 at the time, now 24 and 20. We're still big fans.

That same year, for my 40th birthday party we asked all the guests to bring a CD-R of their favorite 3 songs of the previous 40 years and played them all on shuffle as the soundtrack for the night. My youngest picked that 2nd song as one of her favorites. Her other 2 favorites were 3rd Planet by Modest Mouse and King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1 by Neutral Milk Hotel.  :lmao:  Obviously my playlists had a lot of influence on her at that time.  I kept that CD-R. :wub:   And she still listens to all 3 of those albums and that makes me happy.  

Anyway, Rufus Wainwright is a super talented artist and, IMO, this is his best album of many excellent albums.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

4 minutes ago, simey said:

A concert I went to where I didn't expect rowdy people at was at a Neil Diamond concert in the late 90s. That place was energized.  I almost lost my tickets in the toilet bowl too. 

in the toilet bowl?

3 minutes ago, simey said:

A concert I went to where I didn't expect rowdy people at was at a Neil Diamond concert in the late 90s. That place was energized.  I almost lost my tickets in the toilet bowl too. 

In my experience, summertime outdoor venues bring out crowds that are rowdier and drunker than SF club kids checking their phones.

But if I ever almost lost my tickets in a portajohn, I'd just head home.

7 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

That same year, for my 40th birthday party we asked all the guests to bring a CD-R of their favorite 3 songs of the previous 40 years and played them all on shuffle as the soundtrack for the night.

Happy birthday nerd

• Laughing 2

15 minutes ago, Eephus said:

In my experience, summertime outdoor venues bring out crowds that are rowdier and drunker than SF club kids checking their phones.

But if I ever almost lost my tickets in a portajohn, I'd just head home.

It was a winter concert indoors at Wake Forest University. I used the bathroom in a restaurant prior to the show, and had already flushed the toilet. When I put on my coat (I had previously had it hanging on the hanger in the stall) the tickets in my pocket fell into the toilet. Thankfully, I looked down to see them floating in the water. I got them out and put them under the hand dryer thing in the bathroom, and all was good other than the fact they had contact with toilet water.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

How did you save them? 

I bobbed for them like an apple. * i put my hand in the toilet and got them out. There wasn't any pee or poop in there. If there was pee in there, I still would have put my hand in there to get them out. This was Neil Diamond, man. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Edited by simey
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, simey said:

I bobbed for them like an apple. * i put my hand in the toilet and got them out. There wasn't any pee or poop in there. If there was pee in there, I still would have put my hand in there to get them out. This was Neil Diamond, man. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Now that's dedication.  I went one of his concerts back in '81.  He could get an audience going, that's for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yo Mama said:

OK, so I’ve had a long short week this week so I’ve had a few drinks - pretty sure this hasn’t been taken after some perusal of the master list via phone. Dipping back into the seventies for another classic. Yo Mama welcomes The Thin White Duke and all his coked-out awesomeness to the island and selects:

27.19 - David Bowie - Station to Station (1976)

This one had me considering *shudder* doubling up. Great pick, glad it got taken.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

27.xx  Rufus Wainwright - Poses (2001)

Poses

Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk

Rufus was the first concert my daughters attended in 2007, 12 and 8 at the time, now 24 and 20. We're still big fans.

That same year, for my 40th birthday party we asked all the guests to bring a CD-R of their favorite 3 songs of the previous 40 years and played them all on shuffle as the soundtrack for the night. My youngest picked that 2nd song as one of her favorites. Her other 2 favorites were 3rd Planet by Modest Mouse and King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1 by Neutral Milk Hotel.  :lmao:  Obviously my playlists had a lot of influence on her at that time.  I kept that CD-R. :wub:   And she still listens to all 3 of those albums and that makes me happy.  

Anyway, Rufus Wainwright is a super talented artist and, IMO, this is his best album of many excellent albums.

Rufus has a wonderful stage presence live. This was on my list from the jump too, and I agree that it's his best. Truly lovely. I should probably take the opportunity and give it another spin. His voice is like honey.

• Like 1

🎶  🚬  :coffee:  🚬  🎶

5:23 a.m. shufflin' ...

On an Island - Artist Gilmore

i've been doing some digging into PF's earliest days, as i've grown fascinated with Syd ... anyways, every time i hear Gilmour interviewed it's a revelation - gotta be the most erudite musician still kickin' - didn't they do a ton of drugs? and his playing is sublime beyond my words here ... noodling on this, but it's not necessarily hippie noodling, so i appreciate it for the genius it is (still too ####in' long, tho) - 7.0

Box of Rain - Cherry Garcias

ok ... this is not exactly inducing a hurl of patchouli and Strawberry Boone's Farm, which is my permanent reaction to anything but "Uncle John's Band" - too detached to give a #### to check, but ... is the ice cream man doing lead vocal here?  this is a safe enough house for Dead haters - 7.0

Reason To Believe - The Jerzee Boy

wonder if i can petition Time to redact that '75 cover featuring this charlatan ... if it ain't "Sherry Darling" live, it's dead to me - 3.5

Outlaw Heart - Joe Exotic Army

perfect Honky Tonk punkabilly - Cash would be proud, better than anything Ness churned out - yeah, it's pretty damn cool - 10

Found a Job - RISDy Darlings

i really struggle with the whole concept of "David Byrne" - 4.0

Melissa - ABBuhh ...

it's a sweet vibe ... just not feeling it on caffeine and cigs - like a xanax spiked cuppa - 6.0

Geyser - Mitzki Gaynor

slow burn into a very deep and lush finish ... not horrible at all, pretty shimmering soundscape, i can replay this one, sure - 7.0

Talk of the Town - Fakers

Chrissy Hynde is rock n' roll goddess extraordinaire - her vocal is so damn dreamy on this one - still can't forgive for "Brass In Pocket", but that's not the song here, so - 10

Girls on Film - D2

forgot how much i despised this tune in rhe 80s, because i love it now - chugg chugg that groove - 9.0

Ask - Manchester M&Ms

"spending warm summer days indoors/writing frightening verse/to a buck toof gurl in Luxembourg" - is why i love Morrissey - and that Marr kid can jangle yer ### clear off - 9.0

tally:

2 cuppas 

10 tunes

7.2 avg

11 smokes (2 during Gilmour)

g'morning shuffle ... pleasure getting twisted and turned, as always!  :bye:

Edited by otb_lifer
TyPo
  • Like 3

Putting up some stockade this morning I will check back in at lunch..

here is the latest Tally:

@Binky The DoormatITC

@otb_liferITC

@EephusITC

• 27.1Karma Police-Mastodon-Emperor of Sand
  • 27.2Nigel Tufnel-10 min clock-skip-
  • 27.3zamboni-10 min clock-said skip-
  • 27.4Wazoo11-permaskip-
  • 27.5timschochet-permaskip-
  • 27.6wikkidpissah-two times out? skip-
  • 27.7PIK95-Disco Biscuits-The Classical Set
  • 27.8Uruk-Hai-The Highwaywomen-The Highwaywomen
  • 27.9Northern Voice-Skip i dee doo dah-
  • 27.10Steve Tasker-Please keep me on daytime skip today - thanks.-
  • 27.11El Floppo-Superchunk-Superchunk
  • 27.12Abrantes-skip might be studying or some such?-
  • 27.13Long Ball Larry-skip until further notice-
  • 27.14Charlie Steiner-The Smithereens-A Date with the Smithereens
  • 27.15Chaos Commish-permaskip-
  • 27.16The Dreaded Marco-Rufus Wainwright-Poses
  • 27.17shuke-Mott the Hoople-All the Young Dudes
  • 27.18mphtrilogy-Ray Lamontagne ‎– Trouble - 2004-Ray Lamontagne ‎– Trouble - 2004
  • 27.19Yo Mama-David Bowie-Station to Station
  • 27.20Buffaloes-The Strokes-First Impressions of Earth
  • 27.21Binky the Doormat-ITC-
  • 27.22otb lifer-ITC-
  • 27.23Eephus-ITC-
  • 27.24Raging weasel-- SOON
  • 27.25Krista 4-- SOOOOON
  • 27.26landrys hat--SOOOOOOOON

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Thunderstorms or hazy sunshine?

Assateague beach or board games?

You can get with this, you can get with that, you can get with this, cause this is where it's at.

My son and some of his friends just got back from Assateague.  Said the mosquitoes aren't out yet.

Just now, Uruk-Hai said:

Seriously. Someone posted a shuffle list a couple of days ago and had a song that made me go "Crap! How'd I miss the album that came from?". I went to see who took it and it was me :bag:

I just tried to list all mine from memory and got to five albums deep. Oops.

• Laughing 1

22 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

My son and some of his friends just got back from Assateague.  Said the mosquitoes aren't out yet.

just this minute? thunderstorms appear to be have missed... looks sunny. 

we've been a couple times since it opened- haven't even seen the horses, except at a distance. but it's those horse flies I have the bigger problem with.

• Like 1

1.11-LCD Soundsystem-Sound of Silver 2007

2.30-The Velvet Underground & Nico-The Velvet Underground & Nico 1967

3.11-The Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquet 1968

4.30 -The Beastie Boys-Paul's Boutique 1989

5.11 -Hüsker Dü-Zen Arcade 1984

6.30 -Pavement-Slanted and Enchanted 1992

7.11 -Parquet Courts-Wide Awake 2018

8.30 -New Order-Power, Corruption & Lies 1983

9.11 -Massive Attack-Blue Lines 1991

10.30 -Yo La Tengo-I'm Not Afraid Of You And I'll Beat Your ### 2006

1111 -Kraftwerk-Trans-Europe Express 1977

12.30 -Sonic Youth-Sister 1987

13.11 -The National-Boxer 2007

14.30 -Radiohead-Kid A 2000

1511 -James Brown-The Payback 1973

16.30 -Liz Phair-Exile in Guyville 1993

17.11 -Fugazi-13 Songs 1989

18.30 -Radiohead-Hail To The Thief 2003

19.11 -The Hives-Veni Vidi Vicious 2000

20.30 -Elvis Costello-Trust 1981

21.11 -Guided By Voices-Bee Thousand 1994

22.30 -David Sylvan-Gone to Earth

23.11 -IDLES-Joy as an Act of Resistance 2018

24.30 -Various Artists-Duck Dance Vs China Town 1988

25.11 -Fela Kuti-Zombie 1977

26.30 -Mission Of Burma-Signals, Calls And Marches 1981

27.11 -Superchunk-Superchunk 1990

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 5

Rd 27 

Ramones - Leave Home

fitting for an island jaunt, eh? though mine is Rikers ... so :shrug:

anyways, no way in hell i was goin' anywhere without the DumDum Bruddas - this was the one i was targeting all along, what with the aforementioned theme and all.

those first 3 platters all coulda been one album, though the eponymous debut is certainly the rawest of the lot ... this one, along with "RtR", had a bit slicker production - the boys became much more interesting fodder for Stein and Sire. 

better than the Clash and the Pistols, the originators of the sonic template (Johnny's downstroke is the ####in' teats), and the greatest live "bang for the buck" you could ever hope for ... all the bands formed in their wake owe a tremendous debt here - drunken Vedder's  H.o.F. induction of them says it all  (pack a lunch ... or a shotgun).

NYC to the bone. 

R.I.P., ya magnificent sonsof#####es ✌

Commando - if i had to choose one Ramones tune for a time capsule, here it is ... also title of Johnny's book - damn straight. 

Pinhead  - the centerpiece of their live shows "gabba gabba/we accept ya/we accept ya/one of us" x2 ... last time i caught them live there were more "Gabba Gabba Hey!" signs in the audience than there were fauxhawks, which i appreciated very much. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Sex Bob-Omb – Garbage Truck. I’m gonna guess this add was shticky. 3? Although I could see listening to more of them, if that makes sense.

Little Richard – Long Tall Sally. Second time through a morning spin and gotten Little Richard early on. That’ll wake you up. 8 and probably a 9 with more coffee.

Roky Erickson – Burn the Flames. This is a lot different than the other Roky I got exposed to on this play list. The 2 minute version was more attention grabbing, but I’m definitely going to be coming back for more of this artist. I’m a sucker quasi-spoken word after all. 7ish, maybe.

New York Dolls – Trash. Good start this morning – 3 artists I’m unfamiliar with and now 2 about refuse. Killer combo. By itself this was forgettable, but this sounds like one of those groups in which I’d like a full album spin. So I’m gonna hit that heart and comeback to this later. 6 with room for more

Seldom Scene – Muddy Waters. This may be the best spin through yet. More foreign territory and we’re ascending upwards. Although I feel like I’ve heard this before, but since I can’t recall we’re gonna go with my version of the truth. That’s a 9.

White Stripes – Ball & Biscuit. I was very happy when I saw our Elephant drafter selected this one. Garage rock epic. 10.

Radiohead – There, There. Hmm…this is kinda groovy. But is it one groove? Oh….it’s Radiohead. Huh…well apparently there’s more than Paranoid Android from this group that’ll get me to come back for more. 8

Blondie – Heart of Glass. Well, it’s been a good morning spin. Hell, there was even Radiohead that stuck in my ears. So we’ll stop here.

• Like 1

Be prepared for another sever-clogging post after this morning.   

Gotta start in on putting this damn exercise bike together and I am completely unmechanical.  Anger will be rising, so putting on the headphones, hitting shuffle, and praying no reggae comes on during my marathon no-skip session.  

:popcorn:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Be prepared for another sever-clogging post after this morning.   

Gotta start in on putting this damn exercise bike together and I am completely unmechanical.  Anger will be rising, so putting on the headphones, hitting shuffle, and praying no reggae comes on during my marathon no-skip session.  

:popcorn:

lighten up, mon