Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

Round 28.03 - Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030 - 2000

In the dystopian future of 3030, Deltron 3030 (Del The Funky Homosapien Dan The Automater, Kid Koala) form to create a story that casts Del in the role of Deltron Zero, a disillusioned mech soldier and interplanetary computer prodigy rebelling against a 31st-century New World Order. In a world where evil oligarchs suppress both human rights and hip-hop, Del fights rap battles against a series of foes, becoming Galactic Rhyme Federation Champion. So it is.

It's also a darn fine piece of trip hop, excelling at everything, likely even causing Gorillaz to form in Damon Albarn's mind.

Madness

Wore this thing out in college. Sun down, windows down, hit play on the on ramp and by the time it was at highway speed 3030 was just getting started. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Round 28.03 - Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030 - 2000

In the dystopian future of 3030, Deltron (Del The Funky Homosapien Dan The Automater, Kid Koala) form to create a story that casts Del in the role of Deltron Zero, a disillusioned mech soldier and interplanetary computer prodigy rebelling against a 31st-century New World Order. In a world where evil oligarchs suppress both human rights and hip-hop, Del fights rap battles against a series of foes, becoming Galactic Rhyme Federation Champion. So it is.

It's also a darn fine piece of trip hop, excelling at everything, likely even causing Gorillaz to form in Damon Albarn's mind.

Madness

saw them at the stone pony a few years back.  very cool.

• Like 2

@Binky The Doormat will put his stamp of approval on this pick.  It's difficult to pick this band because they don't put a lot affort in to crafting full-length albums, and it takes effort to reel in their catalog.  If you squint both your eyes and ears, you'd think he was Prince's albino twin.  Straight outta New Zealand and weighing in a barely 30 minutes, I select:

27.37 - Uuu It's Teasy, by Connan Mockasin.   2006

Naughty Holidays

Sneaky, Sneaky Dogfriend

Bonus Pick:  This live recording is one of my favorite things on YouTube:  Forever Dolphin Love  Love the flourish on the drums at the end.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

One of my anniversary gifts to Mrs. Eephus this year was to give her carte blanche on cutting my hair and beard.  Previously I had been eluding her like a dog running from the bath.

The fur will begin flying shortly.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 2

I’m sure I could wait forever on this one, but I keep getting motivated by other selections. I wasn’t sure going into this if this resonated with anyone in this demo, but pre-Smash Offspring is being picked and we’re two deep now into this group’s catalog. So whether it’s on anyone’s radar or not, it’s time.

Round 28 - Incubus, SCIENCE (1997)

I have this thing for pieces of work that don’t fit in a box. I don’t think this album ever really took off because their label tried to package it as nu-metal - when it’s not. Then when it didn’t sell their label influenced their transformation into what they are now. I mean, I get it, follow the money…but I wish this version of the group – somewhere between funk metal and melodic trip hop - had stuck. Cause it’s Incubus at their best. And now the hard part, only picking two…

Vitamin (but I really should pick New Skin)

Certain Shade of Green (but I really...REALLY want to pick Glass)

And Calgone’s probably my favorite, but it’s a bit out there – even by this album’s standards. So let’s try to use the above 2 as the gateway drug – then if that gets your fix we’ll level up.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I’m sure I could wait forever on this one, but I keep getting motivated by other selections. I wasn’t sure going into this if this resonated with anyone in this demo, but pre-Smash Offspring is being picked and we’re two deep now into this group’s catalog. So whether it’s on anyone’s radar or not, it’s time.

Round 28 - Incubus, SCIENCE (1997)

I have this thing for pieces of work that don’t fit in a box. I don’t think this album ever really took off because their label tried to package it as nu-metal - when it’s not. Then when it didn’t sell their label influenced their transformation into what they are now. I mean, I get it, follow the money…but I wish this version of the group – somewhere between funk metal and melodic trip hop - had stuck. Cause it’s Incubus at their best. And now the hard part, only picking two…

Vitamin (but I really should pick New Skin)

Certain Shade of Green (but I really...REALLY want to pick Glass)

And Calgone’s probably my favorite, but it’s a bit out there – even by this album’s standards. So let’s try to use the above 2 as the gateway drug – then if that gets your fix we’ll level up.

Oh man, that was my pick this round. Love this album. 

• Love 1

56 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

fyi ...I have to step away for a half hour or so 

I'm here!  And apparently also ITC now.

28.16 [Pick subject to approval]

Has no one taken Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign because it is thought ineligible?  I can't figure it out.  It is a compilation of tunes recorded over a couple of years, some (but not all) of which had been released as singles, but nothing that could be called a "hit."  A ruling from someone in the know, please?

If that is not available, then I'll go with another Stax release featuring the same musicians (minus Albert King):  [spotlighting redacted].

Edited by krista4
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Has no one taken Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign because it is though ineligible?  I can't figure it out.  It is a compilation of tunes recorded over a couple of years, some (but not all) of which had been released as singles, but nothing that could be called a "hit."  A ruling from someone in the know, please?

If that is not available, then I'll go with another Stax release featuring the same musicians (minus Albert King):  Booker T. & the M.G.s, Green Onions.

I'm not in the know, but I say take it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

I was eying this. For whatever reason I’m not wanting to take live albums though. 

Everyone probably knows this but this is one of the best live bands out there and this collection is spotless

I've been eyeing it for the past 15 rounds and just never pulled the trigger.  Not happy that I missed it.

Like you, I don't usually take live albums in these drafts, but figured since that's where MMJ is at their best and they're also the band I've seen in concert the most times that it would be fitting here.  

It also covers right up to the point where I think their albums took a significant dive in quality so all my favorite songs are there.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Has no one taken Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign because it is thought ineligible?  I can't figure it out.  It is a compilation of tunes recorded over a couple of years, some (but not all) of which had been released as singles, but nothing that could be called a "hit."  A ruling from someone in the know, please?

If that is not available, then I'll go with another Stax release featuring the same musicians (minus Albert King):  Booker T. & the M.G.s, Green Onions.

I'd definitely take Born Under A Bad Sign. There are many blues albums from the 60s and going backwards that are compilations, because the songs were released as singles without being on any album. It just kinda worked that way a lot with the blues. The singles were finally brought together to make an album such as Born Under A Bad Sign. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

@Binky The Doormat will put his stamp of approval on this pick.  It's difficult to pick this band because they don't put a lot affort in to crafting full-length albums, and it takes effort to reel in their catalog.  If you squint both your eyes and ears, you'd think he was Prince's albino twin.  Straight outta New Zealand and weighing in a barely 30 minutes, I select:

Naughty Holidays

Sneaky, Sneaky Dogfriend

Bonus Pick:  This live recording is one of my favorite things on YouTube:  Forever Dolphin Love  Love the flourish on the drums at the end.

i wuz wunderin when u wuz gonna get around to this. almost sniped you for drill

I am here. Will catch up on my picks in a few minutes.

Today is the one year anniversary of my father's death, our country is a dystopian Hellscape, and I just found out our septic drain field failed and needs to be replaced.

How is everybody's else's Saturday going? 

• Sad 6

14 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I'm not in the know, but I say take it

9 minutes ago, simey said:

I'd definitely take Born Under A Bad Sign. There are many blues albums from the 60s and going backwards that are compilations, because the songs were released as singles without being on any album. It just kinda worked that way a lot with the blues. The singles were finally brought together to make an album such as Born Under A Bad Sign. 

Two affirmative votes.  Any dissenters or other thoughts?

1 minute ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

I am here. Will catch up on my picks in a few minutes.

Today is the one year anniversary of my father's death, our country is a dystopian Hellscape, and I just found out our septic drain field failed and needs to be replaced.

How is everybody's else's Saturday going? 

:(

Did you get thunderstorms this morning to add to the excitement?  I couldn't figure out what was going on for a while, since that almost never happens here.

51 minutes ago, simey said:

I'm a fan of this bluesy cover album by Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa. They have some more together, including a live one that also features some of Beth's original songs, but I'm going with this one, which is the first they ever did together.

Round 27

Don't Explain - Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa (2011)

Chocolate Jesus

Ain't No Way

Joe has so many live albums I may double dip before this is over. I think I read Grateful Dead have over 150 live albums. Anyway, combining with Beth has made my favorite blues of the past decade. Joe really needed a vocalist and Beth needed a spotlight. I saw her in the 80s strung out and barely 100 pounds. So glad she isn't on the list of early departures. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Naughty Holidays

Sneaky, Sneaky Dogfriend

7 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

I28.04 - Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley, Robert Palmer   1974

Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley

Hey Julia ...Hope y'all don't mind if I pick a song less that 2 ½ minutes long.

most beautiful elbow since Grace Kelly. soooo thrilled my Robby got took

• Thanks 1

27.35 Sumday - Grandaddy (2003)

I wouldn't have guessed that lo-fi electronic alt-folk would be in my wheelhouse, but this album definitely is. I imagine that the singer's voice may be polarizing. There are some silly songs on the album that are really enjoyable, but the two I picked are much more emotionally compelling. Though I can't make much sense of the lyrics of the second one.

Songs:

The Warming Sun

Okay With My Decay

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, wikkidpissah said:

most beautiful elbow since Grace Kelly. soooo thrilled my Robby got took

I took your single-groove commentary to heart.  I often get caught in a single-groove loop and I end up feeling like I ate a half-gallon of ice cream (figuratlively speaking, literally).  I was on the verve of taking BJM.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2020 at 9:27 PM, cosjobs said:
On 5/25/2020 at 9:21 PM, krista4 said:

Let's do "Sings the Best of the Blues," then.  Instead of a compilation, it's an actual LP released in 1963 and has both the selected songs.

Yeah, I did not dig into Mr. Luck and did not know it was a compilation. The others is all covers, so its not really a compilation. The albums I listened to as a teen were Best of.., etc. Tbh, many (most) black artists (particularly soul and blues) of the era were not making concept or theme albums, they were trying to churn out hit singles and when they got enough they'd put them all on an album..

I think it was the initial album of this guy - looks like you found a different one that was "less a compilation".  

As I said

2 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I think it was the initial album of this guy - looks like you found a different one that was "less a compilation".  

As I said

The first was a compilation of over 50 songs and was never released as an album but as a compilation CD in the 2010s.

13 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

I saw her in the 80s strung out and barely 100 pounds. So glad she isn't on the list of early departures. 

Fortunately for her, she went to rehab for addictions, got on proper medication for bipolar, and re-established herself in Europe, which opened the doors back up for her in the USA. She earned her way back. It helps too that she married her road manager, and whenever she feels she is headed for derailment, he helps keep her on track.

• Love 1

Just now, Binky The Doormat said:

I don't know how the two compare - thought the earlier discussion might apply

all good by me

Worth bringing up, but I'd see an easy distinction between an album actually released in 1967 from sessions recorded in 1966-67, vs. a CD compilation released in 2011 of over 50 songs recorded in 1940s-1970s.

I'll still await one more thumbs up or any logical objection before considering it final.

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Worth bringing up, but I'd see an easy distinction between an album actually released in 1967 from sessions recorded in 1966-67, vs. a CD compilation released in 2011 of over 50 songs recorded in 1940s-1970s.

I'll still await one more thumbs up or any logical objection before considering it final.

:thumbup:

• Thanks 1