What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

Crap,   I’m ten pages behind.  Take a break, you maniacs.  
I made two picks late yesterday afternoon. Grilled up dinner. Spent maybe another hour outside with the family then came in and we all watched a movie. As they went to bed I checked back in to see what I missed only to find out I was in the chamber again. 

I made two picks late yesterday afternoon. Grilled up dinner. Spent maybe another hour outside with the family then came in and we all watched a movie. As they went to bed I checked back in to see what I missed only to find out I was in the chamber again. 
What movie? 

What movie? 
It was probably our 143rd spin through Cars. But our first one in a few years and it actually kept our 4 year old from not finding his typical evening appetite for destruction, so I pretended to pay attention then magically woke up this morning to our house not being destroyed like every other morning. I could actually walk to get the day's first cup of coffee without concern of stepping on a painfully sharp landmine.

And now the Cars 2 bribe has been laid out for tonight. We'll see if we can get there without any blood.

26.29 Boards of Canada, Music Has the Right to Children (1998)

Roygbiv
Wildlife Analysis

I remember first listening to Boards of Canada in art school. One of our teachers had it on for inspiration as we painted, and it felt totally alien. I'd never heard anything like it, but I was digging it. Only came back to it later, but MHTRTC is a beautiful listening experience. Another one that's best appreciated as an album, though. I went with two of the shorter tracks for the playlist. You don't get the full immersion in the album experience, but it gives you an idea of what it's about.

27.12 Legião Urbana, Dois (1986)

Tempo Perdido
Quase Sem Querer

One of the most iconic bands of the Brazilian rock boom in the '80s. Unabashedly influenced by the Smiths, the Cure, Joy Division and others. Lead singer Renato Russo was one of Brazilian rock music's most celebrated lyricists, though they're not considered properly cool these days, I'd say (falling into a similar space as that of U2, maybe). But they're a cultural touchstone for me, many of my friends back in high school and countless others.

28.29 REM, New Adventures in Hi-Fi (1996)

Electrolite
Leave

I listened to a #### ton of REM back in high school and they were/are one of my all-time favorites. Just ended up slipping through the cracks in this draft, and I'm glad I got New Adventures this late, 'cause it's probably my second-favorite of theirs after Automatic for the People, and I could've gone many different ways with the playlist picks (hi @Binky The Doormat). "Leave" is the longest song on the album (sorry playlist), but it really is amazing.

Short write-ups and song choices added.

29.12 Tom Waits, Rain Dogs (1985)

Jockey Full of Bourbon
Singapore

Waits can be a bit/very extra at times with his mise-en-scène, but I love Rain Dogs. Was my entry point into his music, and it was the one album of his I had down on my list (and the one I figured might go first). I love the language of it, the vibe and the canvas he paints here. It all fits according to its own internal logic and feels appropriate for drinking at sea, at least, if not necessarily for the desert island sun.

skip me for now. I'm in and out for the day. 
I think this means I can go. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I got one teed up and am gonna be out for at least a few hours.

Round 30 Tool - 10,000 Days (2006)

I had a feeling I’d be doubling up on this group when we started this thing. They have a clear 1-2 at the top and this is a distant 3rd. But that distant 3rd is still better than almost every other album ever recorded. You could say I feel about them how @Charlie Steiner apparently feels about The Smithereens, who I have some how dodged on the playlist shuffle (and still don’t know anything about them). Since today in particular seems like an appropriate day for some self-reflection it’s time to double-dip.

Right In Two - a perfect song to listen to this morning

And while I had The Pot teed up the events of last night motivated me to alter course, cause we all feed – on tragedy – it’s like blood to a vampire – VIIICAAARIIIOOOUUUSLYYY IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII...

Last edited by a moderator:
30.03 - Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 3 (2016)

Since Yo Mama broke the seal, I'll take this one and save everyone the burden of doubling down on RTJ sequels. This one's my personal favorite, veering from the sort of "we're a lark of a band" attitude to one that brings the emcees nature right before the project began to the fore. It is uniquely topical and political, so much so that when the band played NPR's Tiny Desk series, Killer Mike can be heard saying, "At some point, they're going to try and label us a political band. We're not." Well, Mike, a duck is a duck. You guys wandered into the arena now, and thus the charge sticks. Wear it with honor and go ahead and run with it.

Ironically, the first selection has nothing to do with topical things, just some old fashioned braggadocio. We made it! Second one. Topical as hell. Makes me emotional when I drink (which I apparently don't anymore, so that's good).

Tracks:

Call Ticketron

A Report To The Shareholders/Kill Your Masters

eta* Mike can be seen wearing the "Kill Your Masters" RTJ shirt during his now slightly famous impromptu speech during a press conference in Atlanta regarding the recent riots. I only mention it because it's all over my Twitter feed, retweeted by people way outside music and politics (my Twitter feed is largely fantasy football-oriented, and those guys are retweeting it).

29.20 Beck - Morning Phase

Follow up of sorts to Sea Change. This is my favorite version of Beck (Sea Change + Morning Phase). A little more sparse in strings than its predecessor, it's still ponderous and meticulously produced and you don't have to listen too hard to hear some of Beck's classic rock era influences.

songs:

Morning

Turn Away

Did RTJ ever settle on a release date for the new one? I had a buddy who's super into rap ask me the other day why "rock music guys" all like them. I didn't have a good answer. I think maybe the backing music is rock-ish

Did RTJ ever settle on a release date for the new one? I had a buddy who's super into rap ask me the other day why "rock music guys" all like them. I didn't have a good answer. I think maybe the backing music is rock-ish
The beats behind it are blocky, if that could be a term. There's crunch to them due to El-P's production. He's incredibly varied, though his beats have always veered towards hyper electronica, so that might not be as easy a case as one could make. I also think that both in lyrical content and delivery, they're a little more old school, which most people can deal with than straight new trap, which sounds distant, and like it's in a tunnel. There's also the element of a "band" that people mythologize, and they seem to fit every construct of what constitutes one. 

And I think there's a not-so-gentle question that we try to elide when we talk about rock audiences and RTJ, (that I hadn't noticed until RTJ2 hit big), and that's, "Why so many white fans who don't like other rap music?" Fair enough. There have always been those acts. In the 90s it was Tribe, in the 00s, Jurassic 5 and OutKast fit the bill. Now it's RTJ. Aside from obvious inclusions in the actual group itself, I have some answers for that, actually, that aren't as pernicious as they seem, but are incidental and causative.

They weren't supposed to be a big, quasi-headline festival act. Their first album came from a list that you had to have searched out because of El-P or Mike and signed up for willingly as fans of their previous work. If you did that, their free electronic distribution of their first album was yours. This means you had to have a) been a fan of Definitive Jux's label or El-P or Mike's work, all of which had previously been consumed by large number of white audiences due to past connections and b) had high-speed internet access and c) used the internet quite a bit and paid attention to these guys.

So already the screen is in place. Now what happens? Well, the kids pass it to their friends, who are largely the same racial composition as they are, just because we haven't hit full desegregation yet. Anywhere, really. That's due to a whole ton of reasons that are wildly political, but we aren't totally desegregated, and I won't go there. And the marketing and promotion is given by "whiter" outlets like Pitchfork and Adult Swim, which goes way back with hip hop/electronica, thus hitting the appropriate "white" audiences.

And then there are the factors that I mentioned up top. Plus the actual shows they play are too big to just be for small clubs of urban youths. So it's a perfect confluence of things, really, none as pernicious as they seem, but deeply entrenched and under the surface. 

It's June 5th, I believe, if El-P's twitter feed is sticking right with me right now. 

current spreadsheet situation

30.7MAC 32-Tool

30.8Dr Octopus-skip

30.9Ilov80s-skip-previously timed out

30.10Hov34-10 minute clock-timed out-skip

30.11rcam-ITC

30.12Mr Ected-ITC

30.13Mrs Rannous-15 minute clock - owes picks, skip

30.14JZilla-@ and then skip

30.15landrys hat-ITC

30.16krista 4-

30.17Raging weasel-

30.18Eephus-

30.19otb lifer-

30.20Binky the Doormat-

30.21Buffaloes-

Jockey Full of Bourbon
Singapore

Waits can be a bit/very extra at times with his mise-en-scène, but I love Rain Dogs. Was my entry point into his music, and it was the one album of his I had down on my list (and the one I figured might go first). I love the language of it, the vibe and the canvas he paints here. It all fits according to its own internal logic and feels appropriate for drinking at sea, at least, if not necessarily for the desert island sun.
I’d been shocked this wasn’t taken yet.  Seems like the consensus “best” of his records.  I decided just to get one song of his through the Basquiat soundtrack instead of taking a whole album.  I think...

Sorry I haven't been very active in the thread the past few days.  We bought a travel trailer (camper) yesterday in Sevierville, TN.  We've been to 3 different states and looked at several campers.  Finally pulled the trigger.

I think I owe 4 picks so I'll try to knock them out here:

26.10 Prince - Parade (Music from Under the Cherry Moon) (1986)

Terrible movie, great soundtrack.  The pop hit "Kiss" overshadowed some really great songs that sort of get lost in his vast catalog.  Also check out: Girls and Boys, Life Can Be So Nice, and Snow in April. The Prince song @Eephus took "Sexual Suicide sounds like it belongs on this album.

Mountains

Anotherloverholenyohead

27.31 Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - Live at The Twist & Shout (2008)

Sort of cheating as it's an EP shortly after he left DBT and it's mostly DBT songs and he has come out against it's release and probably becuse he doesn't own the rights, but I love this version of Danko and a bonus of my favorite Van Morrison song.

Danko/Manuel

Into the Mystic

28.10 Michael Kiwanuka - Love & Hate (2016)

Love & Hate

Cold Little Heart (you can use the radio edit of this one for the mix if you want)

29.31 Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs (2008)

Cath...

Grapevine Fires

I will possess your heart is great too, but 8+ minutes long.

The New Bomb Turks - !!Destroy-Oh-Boy!! (1993)

Up there with the best punk rock records of all time. Every time I listen to this I'm amazed at how they manage to stay so damned tight while playing so fast. 

Mr. Suit

Sucker Punch
I think it's in my top ten of all time for punk records. Quite neatly and easily, actually. One of their songs will have a huge and significant place in the rocacktion punk hundred coming in...sometime (another shameless plug). The selections you pick include one of the hardest, sprawlingest-yet-tight rock songs I've ever heard and a wonderfully re-imagined cover song off of what may be the best punk album ever. Nice work all around. I wish there was more than love to give this. 

An addendum: People are unaware of how good '90s punk actually was, musically. This is a shining example of punk spirit and technical competence, mixed with a critic's eye for their influences. There were lots more that ascended during those years of '92-'96. 

I also think that both in lyrical content and delivery, they're a little more old school,
hmm, i don't feel that way about el-p at all, although he might be a little different now that in the co flow and solo days.  i guess i can't speak for current rTJ fans, but co flow seemed like they crossed over a lot with the backpack rap crew (despite his beef with sole) which was certainly predominantly white and i think had a certain crossover with indie and punk rock and i always thought that the connection stemmed from there.

but i can't say for sure (and don't mean to short shrift any of your other ideas, just this line stood out to me.

Jockey Full of Bourbon
Singapore

About time 

hmm, i don't feel that way about el-p at all, although he might be a little different now that in the co flow and solo days.  i guess i can't speak for current rTJ fans, but co flow seemed like they crossed over a lot with the backpack rap crew (despite his beef with sole) which was certainly predominantly white and i think had a certain crossover with indie and punk rock and i always thought that the connection stemmed from there.

but i can't say for sure (and don't mean to short shrift any of your other ideas, just this line stood out to me.
Oh yeah, I tried to touch on all of this as succinctly as possible so it didn't become a wall of text, and I think his previous love from the indie/backpack crew has tons to do with it. I also think I hedged the bet on gently disagreeing with the beats having a ton to do with it. He's wildly experimental and always has been. And I'll agree to an extent about the line standing out about their content and delivery, and while his flow hasn't changed all that much since his Co Flow days, the content is certainly different, and emcees tag teaming for braggadocio raps is certainly old school. It could be that it sounds old school to me because it's like water to me as a listener, possibly partially because of his influence now coming to the fore twenty years later in pop culture. But, the new album has production from other people (DJ Premier) and other albums do indeed have trappings that Co Flow and El-P solo just don't, and those flourishes veer toward more traditional rap culture rather than departing from it.  

With respect to the previous posting, it's fun to talk about this seriously and with like-minded people. This is the stuff I think about at night, so I feel like I'm simply in oxygen discussing something I obviously love. Feels good.

Users who are viewing this thread