Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program


Recommended Posts

Atoms for Peace - Amok

2013

Gonna bring some headphone music to the island. I'm not sure this was on anyone's radar, but this is probably my favorite Radiohead side project and I prefer it to a couple Radiohead LPs. Thom Yorke on vocals and probably some of the sounds and guitar, Flea on bass, a session drummer for Beck, a percussionist that's done some work with David Byrne, and Nigel Godrich producing. It's a lot of clicks and clacks, but plenty of instrumentation to move it along. Not an album for everyone, but if you do give a listen, throw some decent cans on and let it ride.

 

songs:

Amok

Default

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hov34 said:

Sorry I haven't been very active in the thread the past few days.  We bought a travel trailer (camper) yesterday in Sevierville, TN.  We've been to 3 different states and looked at several campers.  Finally pulled the trigger.

I think I owe 4 picks so I'll try to knock them out here:

26.10 Prince - Parade (Music from Under the Cherry Moon) (1986)

Terrible movie, great soundtrack.  The pop hit "Kiss" overshadowed some really great songs that sort of get lost in his vast catalog.  Also check out: Girls and Boys, Life Can Be So Nice, and Snow in April. The Prince song @Eephus took "Sexual Suicide sounds like it belongs on this album.

Mountains

Anotherloverholenyohead

27.31 Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - Live at The Twist & Shout (2008)

Sort of cheating as it's an EP shortly after he left DBT and it's mostly DBT songs and he has come out against it's release and probably becuse he doesn't own the rights, but I love this version of Danko and a bonus of my favorite Van Morrison song.

Danko/Manuel

Into the Mystic

28.10 Michael Kiwanuka - Love & Hate (2016)

Love & Hate

Cold Little Heart (you can use the radio edit of this one for the mix if you want)

 

29.31 Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs (2008)

Cath...

Grapevine Fires

I will possess your heart is great too, but 8+ minutes long.

 

 

Was first introduced to "Cold Little Heart" via the HBO show "Big Little Lies". Great song!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

His Estonian guitar player is a prodigy. 
 

And Sturgill writes great songs. 

Just double checked and Laur Joamets, the Estonian prodigy, is no longer in Simpson's band. He played on the first 3 albums but not Sound & Fury.

He's now touring in another band that has yet to be drafted.

The one time I've seen Sturgill in concert I just remember my eye being drawn to my left to watch this guy play. And I'm a big Sturgill fan.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rd 30 

Pornography - The Cure (1982)

easily the heaviest and most claustrophobic work the band ever did ... this here platter is why they got slapped with the "Goth" tag, for better or worse.

Smiff was in a real dark place during this phase, and maybe his time around Siouxsie rubbed off on him, as well ... lotta drugs n' drinking, and the band on the verge of collapse. 

so what does he do? 

well, instead of trying to release a more accessible record to maybe bolster sales/interest, he lays out this mammoth slab of atmospheric doom ... they would go on to release more successful and "radio friendly" material, but this is THE one album the great majority of Cure fans will point to as the band's most compelling and ambitious work, as well as their greatest. 

this is the one that helped kickstart a movement, and made them the force they were to become in it's wake ... Smiff never reached this high (or low, if you will) again with this particular ambiance/theme for a whole recording session  ... there were continued forays and explorations into the darker/gloomier recesses, but nothing as consistent as this entire album's worth. 

nothing else touches this, imo ... my favorite of theirs by a very wide margin, and the tour de force that established Smiff as the ####### genius he is. 

The Hanging Garden

One Hundred Years

Edited by otb_lifer
fixed link
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

Rd 30 

Pornagraphy - The Cure (1982)

easily the heaviest and most claustrophobic work the band ever did ... this here platter is why they got slapped with the "Goth" tag, for better or worse.

Smiff was in a real dark place during this phase, and maybe his time around Siouxsie rubbed off on him, as well ... lotta drugs n' drinking, and the band on the verge of collapse. 

so what does he do? 

well, instead of trying to release a more accessible record to maybe bolster sales/interest, he lays out this mammoth slab of atmospheric doom ... they would go on to release more successful and "radio friendly" material, but this is THE one album the great majority of Cure fans will point to as the band's most compelling and ambitious work, as well as their greatest. 

this is the one that helped kickstart a movement, and made them the force they were to become in it's wake ... Smiff never reached this high (or low, if you will) again with this particular ambiance/theme for a whole recording session  ... there were continued forays and explorations into the darker/gloomier recesses, but nothing as consistent as this entire album's worth. 

nothing else touches this, imo ... my favorite of theirs by a very wide margin, and the tour de force that established Smiff as the ####### genius he is. 

 

The Hanging Garden

One Hundred Years

Dammit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Just double checked and Laur Joamets, the Estonian prodigy, is no longer in Simpson's band. He played on the first 3 albums but not Sound & Fury.

He's now touring in another band that has yet to be drafted.

The one time I've seen Sturgill in concert I just remember my eye being drawn to my left to watch this guy play. And I'm a big Sturgill fan.

I just watched.  Definitely mesmerizing.  I'll be eager to see what other band he's touring with now.  :popcorn:

Does Sturgill always wear mom jeans?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mphtrilogy said:
17 hours ago, krista4 said:

 

Sometimes I forget that you've gone
That we'll never see you again
I think for a moment, I've got to give him a call
But I can't now I realize that

 

love this one, and I made a mixtape with that title (sometimes I forget) back in the day...probably because I lost my Dad that year as well...  such a great record from Loudon, seen him many times and is a terrific live performer...

I'm glad you love it, too.  The lines above are the ones that get me the most.  I went through that feeling for so long, about to call my Dad before realizing I couldn't.  I've only seen Loudon play live once, but it was a turning point in my life for reasons I needn't bore you all with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30.06 Mariachi El Bronx (II) - Mariachi El Bronx (2011)

The Bronx is a hardcore group that started a mariachi group as a side project. Is that shameful cultural appropriation? I don't know, but they absolutely do the musical form justice and write great songs in that style. They don't do it as shtick or as a novelty act. In fact, the mariachi group is probably more popular than the main group.

Songs:

Revolution Girls

Bodies of Christ

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My island's library:

U2-The Unforgettable Fire 1984

The Clash-The Clash 1977

The The-Soul Mining 1983

The Pogues-Live in London (w/Joe Strummer) 1991

Jane's Addiction-Nothing's Shocking 1988

Alice in Chains-Jar of Flies 1994

Dr. Dre-The Chronic 1992

Gorillaz-Plastic Beach 2010

Killing Joke-Killing Joke 2003

Bobby Blue Bland-Two Steps From The Blue 1961

Sinead O'Connor-I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got 1990

Broken Bells-Broken Bells 2010

Muse-Live At Rome Olympic Stadium 2013

Sugar-Copper Blue 1992

The Police-Regatta de Blanc 1979

The Clash-Sandinista! 1980

Various Artists-Broken Hearts & Dirty Windows: The Songs of John Prine 2010

Everclear-Sparkle and Fade 1995

Beck-Guero 2005

Soundgarden-Louder Than Love 1989

Jimmy Smith-Midnight Special 1961

Royal Blood-Out of the Blood 2014

The Cult-Love 1985

Big Audio Dynamite-No. 10 Upping Street 1986

Tiger Army-Tiger Army 1999

Wang Chung-To Live And Die In LA Soundtrack 1985

Grandaddy-Sumday 2003

Cracker-Kerosene Hat 1993

Freddie King-Getting Ready 1971

Mariachi El Bronx-Mariachi El Bronx (II) 2011

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30.16 – Elton John – Live in Australia with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (1987)

I mentioned in my last pick that my next one would be in honor of my Dad, and it’s fitting that this is the 30th round as he died five days after my 30th birthday.

About a year after law school, I moved to Los Angeles but realized nearly immediately what a mistake that had been.  Less than five months later, I decided to move back to Chicago, and despite my “I’m an adult” protestations my Dad insisted on coming to LA to do the 2000+ mile drive back with me. 

My parents divorced when I was five, and my Mom liked a variety of music, but Dad only listened to two types of music that I was aware of, and which I’d grown up on:  gospel and classical.  We had symphony season tickets, and I enjoyed those experiences, but what I really loved was when my Dad joined a gospel quartet that performed around the Midwest.  He had a beautiful baritone voice that *I* think was the highlight of their shows.

Driving across the country, I brought my tall stack of CDs going back to my college days for the 29-hour drive, and my Dad was (as always) very kind and supportive of whatever I put on, even though I knew none of it was his thing.  But then I put in this one, and everything changed.  He wasn’t just being polite; he LOVED this record.  We kept listening to it over and over, and he would point out different aspects I hadn’t noticed, until finally he declared that Elton John was a modern-day Mozart.  I never really understood that comparison, but it made me happy anyway.  

My dad died just a few years after that trip.  This isn’t a record I listen to much – not sure when I last had before this exercise – but I want it on my island.

Sixty Years On

Take Me To The Pilot

  • Like 3
  • Love 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, rcam said:

Again, not breaking any new ground here... but loved this album as a kid. I especially loved the pro wrestlers she had in her videos (though not in either of these)

Round 30) She's So Unusual - Cyndi Lauper (1983)

Time After Time

All Through the Night

would've opted "She Bop" instead of the over hyped "Time", but love the pick :thumbup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30.25  Slint - Spiderland (1991)

I'm ecstatic to get one of the best albums of the 90's as (approximately) the 1200th album in this draft. 

I was in med school when this came out.  I was living in a communal grad student apartment at the U. of Washington.  I tended to play this very loud and very often and none of my apartment mates (2 other med students, a dental student and a fisheries grad student) were fond of it.  :lmao:   

 

Good Morning, Captain

Breadcrumb Trail

 

 

Edited by The Dreaded Marco
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple of other things about that Elton John record, which I just read about for the first time:

- He was the first rock act to take a full orchestra on an entire tour.  88-piece orchestra along with his 14-piece band!

- It was the last show Elton did before he had throat surgery that ended up rendering his range down to baritone from tenor.

- This was the last time he wore costumes on stage, and in fact he did the second act of this show dressed as Mozart.  Maybe my Dad knew something after all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Dreaded Marco said:

30.25  Slint - Spiderland (1991)

I'm ecstatic to get one of the best albums of the 90's as (approximately) the 1200th album in this draft. 

I was in med school when this came out.  I was living in a communal grad student apartment at the U. of Washington.  I tended to play this very loud and very often and none of my apartment mates (2 other med students, a dental student and a fisheries grad student) were fond of it.  :lmao:   

 

Good Morning, Captain

Breadcrumb Trail

 

 

Geez, I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for someone to take this.  I can't believe this wasn't in the first 10 rounds.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

30.25  Slint - Spiderland (1991)

I'm ecstatic to get one of the best albums of the 90's as (approximately) the 1200th album in this draft. 

I was in med school when this came out.  I was living in a communal grad student apartment at the U. of Washington.  I tended to play this very loud and very often and none of my apartment mates (2 other med students, a dental student and a fisheries grad student) were fond of it.  :lmao:   

 

Good Morning, Captain

Breadcrumb Trail

 

 

First link is sturgill simpson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s got a few low points, but this was an album I played the hell out of and the highs in the album are top notch.  Plus, I love these guys in concert so I need some Foo on my island.  Yo Mama selects:
 

30.22 - Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape (1997)

1 - Doll

2 - Monkey Wrench

3 - Hey, Johnny Park!

4 - My Poor Brain

5 - Wind Up

6 - Up In Arms

7 - My Hero

8 - See You

9 - Enough Space

10 - February Stars

11 - Everlong

12 - Walking After You

13 - New Way Home

14 - The Colour and the Shape

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

@Charlie Steiner on deck

 

 

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Before I post my album choice, just wanted to share with you guys about my last couple of hours...

My youngest graduated HS this year, and of course there was no traditional graduation ceremony.  Instead, they organized a parade that started about 2 miles from the school and they encouraged all the locals to stand along the parade route and wave/cheer as we went by.  Even though the initial rallying point was like a goat rodeo at first, they were able to pull it off and it started on time.  I was pleasantly surprised by all the people who came out and waved and cheered for EVERY SINGLE CAR in the procession.  It helped that we were instructed to have the graduate's name either on a sign or written on the car, but either way, the outpouring of goodwill touched me.  I know that many of the people along the route wouldn't have been at a 'normal' graduation, so to see so many from the community at large show up and cheer on kids they didn't know was such a great spectacle, especially given recent events that some will use to divide us. There was a lot of 'hurry up and wait' once we got to the school, but it was all part of the show, and it was one of the few times I didn't feel anxiety about being in/around a large group.  If you have kids or live near a school that's going to do this as well, I encourage you to embrace the experience.  I've been to 2 of my own graduations--HS and college--as well as each of my 2 sons' graduations, but this one blew them all away.

Anyway, on to my pick.

I'm still buzzing so I don't even know what round and don't feel like looking it up!

Start the Car - Jude Cole (1992)

Another album that I identify with my yuppie era, in that it marked the end and I actually found comfort in when I walked away from my first entry-level job.

For the playlist: Worlds Apart and Right There Now.

  • Like 6
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30.29 Kate Bush, Hounds of Love (1985)

Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
Cloudbusting

Wild that this lasted to round 30. She was mentioned way earlier in the context of guest vocals on an unrelated album and I figured someone would wise up and take it not long after. "Running Up That Hill" would be worth a pick by itself, really. It's not for everyone, but I love her vision, her sound and the layers upon layers of production. There's a whole world in there.

It made the rounds and P4K retweets it regularly, but I love Big Boi fanboying over "Running". I could've gone with The Big Sky for the playlist too, but "Cloudbusting" is a personal favorite (I've taken it in at least one past draft, and I got this Daniel Danger print depicting the device in the video).

Edited by Abrantes
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Charlie Steiner said:

Before I post my album choice, just wanted to share with you guys about my last couple of hours...

My youngest graduated HS this year, and of course there was no traditional graduation ceremony.  Instead, they organized a parade that started about 2 miles from the school and they encouraged all the locals to stand along the parade route and wave/cheer as we went by.  Even though the initial rallying point was like a goat rodeo at first, they were able to pull it off and it started on time.  I was pleasantly surprised by all the people who came out and waved and cheered for EVERY SINGLE CAR in the procession.  It helped that we were instructed to have the graduate's name either on a sign or written on the car, but either way, the outpouring of goodwill touched me.  I know that many of the people along the route wouldn't have been at a 'normal' graduation, so to see so many from the community at large show up and cheer on kids they didn't know was such a great spectacle, especially given recent events that some will use to divide us. There was a lot of 'hurry up and wait' once we got to the school, but it was all part of the show, and it was one of the few times I didn't feel anxiety about being in/around a large group.  If you have kids or live near a school that's going to do this as well, I encourage you to embrace the experience.  I've been to 2 of my own graduations--HS and college--as well as each of my 2 sons' graduations, but this one blew them all away.

That's awesome, man. :thumbup:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Just double checked and Laur Joamets, the Estonian prodigy, is no longer in Simpson's band. He played on the first 3 albums but not Sound & Fury.

He's now touring in another band that has yet to be drafted.

The one time I've seen Sturgill in concert I just remember my eye being drawn to my left to watch this guy play. And I'm a big Sturgill fan.

Yeah, he's incredible. Bummed I never got to see Sturgill with him in the band. 

I never knew he joined another band. Interesting choice...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I can see that happening on a cover album like this one more than a regular originals type album

For example Genius Loves Company used to be on Spotify, and it is now gone. I love that record with all the duets.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

30.25  Slint - Spiderland (1991)

I'm ecstatic to get one of the best albums of the 90's as (approximately) the 1200th album in this draft. 

I was in med school when this came out.  I was living in a communal grad student apartment at the U. of Washington.  I tended to play this very loud and very often and none of my apartment mates (2 other med students, a dental student and a fisheries grad student) were fond of it.  :lmao:   

 

Good Morning, Captain

Breadcrumb Trail

 

 

This has been staring at me for several rounds. I only got really into in the last few months--it's a great album to blast during quarantine. The guitar lines, the punishing rhythms, creepy vocals.. so good.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

 

Before I post my album choice, just wanted to share with you guys about my last couple of hours...

My youngest graduated HS this year, and of course there was no traditional graduation ceremony.  Instead, they organized a parade that started about 2 miles from the school and they encouraged all the locals to stand along the parade route and wave/cheer as we went by.  Even though the initial rallying point was like a goat rodeo at first, they were able to pull it off and it started on time.  I was pleasantly surprised by all the people who came out and waved and cheered for EVERY SINGLE CAR in the procession.  It helped that we were instructed to have the graduate's name either on a sign or written on the car, but either way, the outpouring of goodwill touched me.  I know that many of the people along the route wouldn't have been at a 'normal' graduation, so to see so many from the community at large show up and cheer on kids they didn't know was such a great spectacle, especially given recent events that some will use to divide us. There was a lot of 'hurry up and wait' once we got to the school, but it was all part of the show, and it was one of the few times I didn't feel anxiety about being in/around a large group.  If you have kids or live near a school that's going to do this as well, I encourage you to embrace the experience.  I've been to 2 of my own graduations--HS and college--as well as each of my 2 sons' graduations, but this one blew them all away.

Anyway, on to my pick.

I'm still buzzing so I don't even know what round and don't feel like looking it up!

Start the Car - Jude Cole (1992)

Another album that I identify with my yuppie era, in that it marked the end and I actually found comfort in when I walked away from my first entry-level job.

For the playlist: Worlds Apart and Right There Now.

congrats, gotta make the best of it in these strange days!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...