What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (5 Viewers)

I played this album a lot my freshman year in college. The Kinks played in the gym there that year, and I'm sure the fire law was broken for having too many people inside. It was so much fun, but hot as hell from all of the body heat, and it was like 45 degrees outside. There is a song on here called Good Day, and I used to play it on my way to work every day. 

Round 32

Word of Mouth - The Kinks (1984)

Do It Again

Living on a Thin Line

29.23 - Late For the Sky - Jackson Browne (1974)

I'm going to close out my undrafted artists gimmick with a guy whose star has fallen a bit since the 70s.  Who would have guessed Zevon's alpha male cosplay would age better than Browne's sensitive poetry.

Browne's peak was pretty short in the early 70s.  His songwriting suffered as he got richer and more famous.  But when he was on, he could write beautiful, literate lyrics with a strong melodic sense.  This is the El Lay sound brought to life by the cream of the LA session men including the great multi-instrumentalist David Lindley whose solos are a perfect match for Browne's introspective words.

Fountain of Sorrow

Before the Deluge

Some of them knew pleasure
And some of them knew pain
And for some of them it was only the moment that mattered
And on the brave and crazy wings of youth
They went flying around in the rain
And their feathers, once so fine, grew torn and tattered
And in the end they traded their tired wings
For the resignation that living brings
And exchanged love's bright and fragile glow
For the glitter and the rouge
And in a moment they were swept before the deluge
I love this album, and the song "For a Dancer" still makes me cry as it reminds me of a friend I lost. 

30.18 - Tusk - Fleetwood Mac (1979)

My third and final draft gimmick is to pick overlooked albums from artists who've already been selected.  This really doesn't differ that much from what everybody else is doing but humor me, I'm having a bad day.

Tusk isn't some obscurity but it was a commercial failure at the time of its original release.  The band had unlimited money and unlimited cocaine to record a follow-up to one of the biggest hits ever.  They came back with a bizarre record that still manages to be more than the sum of its disjointed parts.

I'm picking two songs by Lindsey Buckingham because him living out his Brian Wilson fantasies is what makes Tusk such a trip.

That's Enough For Me

Tusk

I'm going to sleep on my next pick because I haven't thought out this gimmick as well as the others.

ETA:  That late pick of Lodger hurt my strategy

Last edited by a moderator:
30.18 - Tusk - Fleetwood Mac (1979)

My third and final draft gimmick is to pick overlooked albums from artists who've already been selected.  This really doesn't differ that much from what everybody else is doing but humor me, I'm having a bad day.

Tusk isn't some obscurity but it was a commercial failure at the time of its original release.  The band had unlimited money and unlimited cocaine to record a follow-up to one of the biggest hits ever.  They came back with a bizarre record that still manages to be more than the sum of its disjointed parts.

I'm picking two songs by Lindsey Buckingham because him living out his Brian Wilson fantasies is what makes Tusk such a trip.

That's Enough For Me

Tusk
I love this album.

Years grow shorter, not longer,
The more you've been on your own.
Feelin's for movin' grow stronger'
So you wonder why you ever go home,
Wonder why you ever go home.

I am home.

Owe two. FBGs shutting down? Is that what I speedread catching up?

I'll add some more relatively recent, completely essential pop to my mix.

30.32 - Robyn - Body Talk (2010)

1. Dancing On My Own 
2. Fembot
3. Don't F***ing Tell Me What To Do
4. Indestructible
5. Time Machine
6. Love Kills
7. Hang With Me
8. Call Your Girlfriend
9. None Of Dem feat. Röyksopp
10. We Dance To The Beat
11. U Should Know Better feat. Snoop Dogg
12. Dancehall Queen
13. Get Myself Together
14. In My Eyes
15. Stars 4-Ever
I was ready to take this several rounds ago but wanted to give you a shot at it, given I just took it in the 2010s draft. ^______^

I'll add some more relatively recent, completely essential pop to my mix.

30.32 - Robyn - Body Talk (2010)

1. Dancing On My Own 
8. Call Your Girlfriend

Perfect playlist picks, btw. "Call Your Girlfriend" is so underrated and heartbreaking. It's wild to think, though, that it might still be a desert island-worthy album even without those two. "Indestructible" is such a killer pop song.

30.03 - Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 3 (2016)

Since Yo Mama broke the seal, I'll take this one and save everyone the burden of doubling down on RTJ sequels. This one's my personal favorite, veering from the sort of "we're a lark of a band" attitude to one that brings the emcees nature right before the project began to the fore. It is uniquely topical and political, so much so that when the band played NPR's Tiny Desk series, Killer Mike can be heard saying, "At some point, they're going to try and label us a political band. We're not." Well, Mike, a duck is a duck. You guys wandered into the arena now, and thus the charge sticks. Wear it with honor and go ahead and run with it.

Ironically, the first selection has nothing to do with topical things, just some old fashioned braggadocio. We made it! Second one. Topical as hell. Makes me emotional when I drink (which I apparently don't anymore, so that's good).

Tracks:

Call Ticketron

A Report To The Shareholders/Kill Your Masters

eta* Mike can be seen wearing the "Kill Your Masters" RTJ shirt during his now slightly famous impromptu speech during a press conference in Atlanta regarding the recent riots. I only mention it because it's all over my Twitter feed, retweeted by people way outside music and politics (my Twitter feed is largely fantasy football-oriented, and those guys are retweeting it).
Dammit!!!!

.4:06 a.m. shufflin' ...

🎶  🚬   :coffee:   🚬  🎶

Jack the Stripper/Fairies Wear Boots - I.W.B.O

how incredible is Tony Iommi (nee Iomi - RA)?  always think this is his greatest riffage ever, then i'll hear another Sabbath song and go "NO, WAIT! THIS!" Bill Ward needs a seat at the greatest drummers dais 🥁 best kickoff since i started shufflin'- 10+

The Payback - The Man

aborted selection for me, as Flop already snagged it - i am not rating my own additions, so this here is a treat to drop the highest number on - been my go to song for any number of things (buzz, workout, slappin' a foo', etc) for some 35 years ... you pass by a certain street at a certain time around my neck, and you'll hear this epic funkathon blasting out the closed winnderrs ... best 1-2 punch to start i've heard yet, too much "OOOOOMPH! #### YEAH!" for 4:17 a.m. - 10+

3rd Planet - Humble Mickey

welp, quite a comedown from the first two, but that was one hell of a high bar set ... this will be penalized a bit for failing in their wake - not enough to move my needle on it's own, then that abrupt STOP just as i was kinda warming - 5.5

Cup of Eternity - iHopeth

melodic metal, this is a burner - we're cooking again 🔥 has all the emblematic hallmarks of Njorl's Saga on 'roids - which, i assure you, is a damn blasted great thing - this will bore into your skull, and it's gonna stick with ya - 10

The Drugs Don't Work - Pinache

was very disappointed when this one was taken (don't recall the drafter), because i wanted (needed) to have it with me -  also appreciate that the big Stones sample song was not one of the choices ... bonus TMI - my reformed cokehead ### drunkenly warbled this to my (then) junkie gf from the Bill - she never forgot that, last time we spoke she reminded me. i'm no Richard Butler. nope - 10

The Last Polka - Fluff n' Fold

reminds me too much of my grammar school music instructor - 5.0

Hand of Fate - Tax Exiles

first Stones song i've encountered on this shuffle shtick ... also Woodie's first proper album, one i feel is pretty under-rated ... some gruff/butch Mick vocals here really help - standard fare elevated by the talent in the room - 8.0

Don't Look Back In Anger - Fab Faux

bag on Oasis all ya want for the derivative bent (and i just did), but when they hit it was brilliant- this HITS.  right behind "Live Forever" for me - the Gallagher bros. were uniquely cool, and i got a soft spot for 'em ... they were legit rock stars in an era devoid of that kinda brash sensibility - also yuuuuge props for casting Patrick Macnee in the vid - 10

Mother - PF Flyers

one of theirs that i try to avoid because it makes me wanna listen to them more! usually not a fan of lyrics that come across as penned straight from the fetal position, but these hit way too close to home to slag - 9.0

The Bells of Rhmney - Admiral Byrds 

"If I Needed Someone" played sideways and tossed in a blender with "TurnTurnTurn" ... which is not the worst thing in the world, but i've heard those two songs many times - 5.5

final tally:

1 cuppa 

10 songs 

8.3 avg

7 smokes

the highs in this one were the best yet ... really hit on some awesome tunes ✌

lovin' the wheel spin this is providing - it's some spicy ####, no matter where the needle lands.  

32.03 -  J Dilla - Donuts (2006)

Last album and swan song for now-deceased beat maker from Detroit, Donuts is a shining example of one of the best producers in hip hop from around 1993-2006. The rarest of records, this record is pretty much pure beats for the listener -- seemingly half-fleshed out song ideas -- that certainly holds one's attention for nearly every snippet, every song. From the opening grabber of "Wokinonit" and "Waves," to the jaw-dropping "Lightworks," and through to "Last Donut Of The Night," Dilla captures the listener and renders he or she rapt before what are largely one and a quarter to a half minute snippets of beats. In the interest of citing authority as fallacy, P'fork gives it a 10 out of 10 in a posthumous review, saying "The songs on Donuts are like miniature lessons in how to take sample-based music and use it to build elaborate suites out of all those nagging little pieces of songs that stick with you long after you've last listened to them." And so they are indeed. 

Lightworks
Last Donut Of The Night

In addition, I began listening to more songs. I was going to review it per usual, but I've decided to only note when they strike as something I really like, which hurts the integrity of the pure shuffle review, but puts me and the reader in a better place. I read my last night's shuffle review and cringed, because even though it was earnest, it wasn't what I really wanted to read. So I'll drop some favorites in the future. I'm excited to work with the list in that format, in that way. 

Catching up:

28.38: Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow (1967)

29.03: Booker T. & The MG's - Green Onions (1962)

30.38: Humble Pie - Performance Rockin' The Fillmore (1971)

31.03: Jimmy Cliff - Wonderful World, Beautiful People (1970)

Songs to follow later.

@Steve Tasker motivated me to slide this one to the top of the to listen list. It’s littered throughout various play lists, but I haven’t listened to it in sequential order in years. It’s still a fun listen and @Eephus hit on it with his playlist commentary last week - because I can see why young MAC was into this. It’s influence on teenage/20something ears is clear. I think it fits best near the top of the would like to have but not a must tier. So we’ll see if it’s still available when I get to that part of the list – and, voila!

Round 32 - Fall Out Boy, From Under The Cork Tree

I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me

Snitches & Talkers Get Stitches & Walkers

.4:06 a.m. shufflin' ...

Cup of Eternity - iHopeth

melodic metal, this is a burner - we're cooking again 🔥 has all the emblematic hallmarks of Njorl's Saga on 'roids - which, i assure you, is a damn blasted great thing - this will bore into your skull, and it's gonna stick with ya - 10
:excited:   :thumbup:

@Steve Tasker motivated me to slide this one to the top of the to listen list. It’s littered throughout various play lists, but I haven’t listened to it in sequential order in years. It’s still a fun listen and @Eephus hit on it with his playlist commentary last week - because I can see why young MAC was into this. It’s influence on teenage/20something ears is clear. I think it fits best near the top of the would like to have but not a must tier. So we’ll see if it’s still available when I get to that part of the list – and, voila!

Round 32 - Fall Out Boy, From Under The Cork Tree

I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me

Snitches & Talkers Get Stitches & Walkers
I considered this one, there are some really solid hits on it.  I remember buying this CD and Beck's Guero at the same time at a Media Play in Niagara Falls.  I always associate those two albums together in my mind.  They might've been the last CDs I've ever purchased.

I know I still owe a few, my internet went on the fritz last night while I was catching up and trying to update the Spotify list.  I don't think I managed to get my songs on the Spotify before giving up, I'll revisit tonight.  Keep me on skip.

Island Take so far

• The Beatles Beatles for Sale1964

[*]John Mayall With Eric Clapton Blues Breakers1966

[*]Creedence Clearwater Revival Willy And The Poor Boys1969

[*]The Doors Morrison Hotel1970

[*]David Bowie Alladin Sane1973

[*]The Allman Brothers Band Brothers and Sisters1973

[*]Richard and Linda Thompson I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight1974

[*]Warren Zevon Warren Zevon1976

[*]The Runaways The Runaways1976

[*]Ramones Rocket to Russia1977

[*]Billy Joel 52nd Street1978

[*]Joe Jackson Look Sharp!1979

[*]Pretenders Pretenders1979

[*]The B-52's The B-52's1979

[*]Elvis Costello Armed Forces1979

[*]Rockpile Seconds of Pleasure1980

[*]Donald Fagan The Nightfly1982

[*]Talking Heads Speaking in Tongues1983

[*]Bruce Springsteen Born in the U.S.A.1984

[*]John Hiatt Bring The Family1987

[*]The Proclaimers Sunshine On Leith1988

[*]Indigo Girls Indigo Girls1989

[*]Matthew Sweet Girlfriend1991

[*]Richard Thompson Rumor & Sigh1991

[*]Eva Cassidy Songbird1998

[*]Fountains of Wayne Welcome Interstate Managers2003

[*]Keane Hopes and Fears2004

[*]Ray Lamontagne Trouble2004

[*]Snow Patrol Eyes Open2006

[*]Ben Howard Every Kingdom2011

[*]Maggie Rogers Heard it in a Past Life2019

I can't tell who is supposed to be up with the skips/timeouts etc. etc. I looks like I might be ITC with hour+ timeouts for Bonzai and rockaction. Also, I could've sworn I just saw a Dr. Ock pick but it then disappeared. Maybe the new board is having issues. So, if I jumped the gun or sniped your pick to the point where it matters... I will repick. 

These next two fall into a similar vein as my 2Cellos pick. I like symphony, "classical", instrumental music - but usually something with a more modern sound (whether it be from a soundtrack or instrumental take on a modern song) unless the album is a compilation of a bunch of different classical composers it is highly unlikely for it to hold my attention. "Classical" here is more of colloquial definition of dead ancient composers not the strict definition of period + structure of the piece. 

Cyrin's album is solid but the Pixies cover is an absolute gem. I'm sure most have heard it by now because there was a period of time I heard it popping up in a lot of semi-popular shows. 

Round 31) Novo Piano - Maxence Cyrin (2010)

Where is my Mind (Pixies piano arrangement)

Kids (MGMT piano arrangement)

I'd like to say more about the next composer but it is kind of hard without spotlighting. Djawadi is awesome though and his Heart Shaped box arrangement is well worth a listen.

Round 32) Westworld Season 2 - Ramin Djawadi (2018)

Heart-Shaped Box (Orchestral version, Nirvana cover)

Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes cover)

It's amusing, but sometimes it really takes me a bit to figure out which band otb was listening to on the mix.  

Same here and even worse as I often wouldn't know the band if he used their correct name, lol
it's intentionally horrible shtick (think Nick Rails level) ... but i do try to worm the actual name of the band/artist into each song's hot take blurb

32.03 -  J Dilla - Donuts (2006)

Last album and swan song for now-deceased beat maker from Detroit, Donuts is a shining example of one of the best producers in hip hop from around 1993-2006. The rarest of records, this record is pretty much pure beats for the listener -- seemingly half-fleshed out song ideas -- that certainly holds one's attention for nearly every snippet, every song. From the opening grabber of "Wokinonit" and "Waves," to the jaw-dropping "Lightworks," and through to "Last Donut Of The Night," Dilla captures the listener and renders he or she rapt before what are largely one and a quarter to a half minute snippets of beats. In the interest of citing authority as fallacy, P'fork gives it a 10 out of 10 in a posthumous review, saying "The songs on Donuts are like miniature lessons in how to take sample-based music and use it to build elaborate suites out of all those nagging little pieces of songs that stick with you long after you've last listened to them." And so they are indeed. 

Lightworks
Last Donut Of The Night

had this as your 31st pick, are we missing one?

latest tally

• 31.38rockaction-J Dilla-Donuts
  • 31.39simey-Cowboy Junkies-The Trinity Session
  • 31.40cosjobs-skip-
  • 32.0--
  • 32.1cosjobs-skip-
  • 32.2simey-The Kinks-Word Of Mouth
  • 32.3rockaction-ITC-
  • 32.4Mister CIA-permaskip-
  • 32.5Bonzai-Skip me, I’ll pick later.-
  • 32.6RedmondLonghorn-timed out - skip-
  • 32.7MAC 32-Fall Out Boy-From Under The Cork Tree
  • 32.8Dr Octopus-Tony Bennett and Dave Brubeck-The White House Sessions
  • 32.9Ilov80s-itc-
  • 32.10Hov34-10 min clock-
  • 32.11rcam-Ramin Djawadi-Westworld Season 2
  • 32.12Mr Ected-itc-
  • 32.13Mrs Rannous-15 minute clock-
  • 32.14JZilla-@ and then skip-
  • 32.15landrys hat--
  • 32.16krista 4--
  • 32.17Raging weasel-skip until tomorrow after the bored reset-
  • 32.18Eephus--
  • 32.19otb lifer--
  • 32.20Binky the Doormat--

did you make your rd 32 pick or decide to skip?
I made picks for J. Dilla - Donuts - 2006 with Round 32 and had Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter - 2004 with Round 31 last night, I think. Also, spreadsheet has my Run The Jewels pick as just Run The Jewels for the album. It's Run The Jewels 3. I only bring it up so that if somebody searches, they'll know. PIK95 expressed that I sniped him, so if he had relied on the list, he might have picked that one.

I hope that settles it on the admin side of things. Keep up the good work, fellas!

Users who are viewing this thread