What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (1 Viewer)

30.18 - Tusk - Fleetwood Mac (1979)

My third and final draft gimmick is to pick overlooked albums from artists who've already been selected.  This really doesn't differ that much from what everybody else is doing but humor me, I'm having a bad day.

Tusk isn't some obscurity but it was a commercial failure at the time of its original release.  The band had unlimited money and unlimited cocaine to record a follow-up to one of the biggest hits ever.  They came back with a bizarre record that still manages to be more than the sum of its disjointed parts.

I'm picking two songs by Lindsey Buckingham because him living out his Brian Wilson fantasies is what makes Tusk such a trip.

That's Enough For Me

Tusk
Love the Tusk video with the USC marching band. Love, love, love it.

32.16 - Antonio Vivaldi - Le Quattro Stagioni (The Four Seasons) - The English Concert with Trevor Pinnock (conductor/harpsichord) and Simon Standage (violin) (recorded 1976)

Realized last night that my island was getting awfully dreary.  While this might be an "obvious" pick in this realm, this piece invariably improves my mood, and I want it to liven up my island.  

For some reason, I almost always prefer Baroque music when played on period instruments.  I don't feel that way about other eras, but Baroque sounds best to my ear performed in this fashion.  While there's a renowned and terrific version of this piece with Perlman on violin, I prefer this one for its passion and intensity, as well as the balance provided by the period instruments. 

No "song" choices so as not to mess up the mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
S8 to a far greater extent than S7, but this too, of course.  :rant:

The one show I dearly hope sticks the landing now is Dark. First two seasons were ####### stunning in pretty much every sense, despite the wildly ambitious ideas involved.
This is one I need to check out.  Seems right up my alley.  

@krista4:

Dark is a German science fiction thriller web television series co-created by Baran bo Odar and Jantje Friese.[5][6][7] Set in the fictitious town of Winden, Germany, Dark concerns the aftermath of a child's disappearance which exposes the secrets of, and hidden connections among, four estranged families as they slowly unravel a sinister time travel conspiracy which spans three generations. Throughout the series, Dark explores the existential implications of time and its effects upon human nature.

ETA:  and yes, it's on Netflix.

Last edited by a moderator:
32.16 - Antonio Vivaldi - Le Quattro Stagioni (The Four Seasons) - The English Concert with Trevor Pinnock (conductor/harpsichord) and Simon Standage (violin) (recorded 1976)

Realized last night that my island was getting awfully dreary.  While this might be an "obvious" pick in this realm, this piece invariably improves my mood, and I want it to liven up my island.  

For some reason, I almost always prefer Baroque music when played on period instruments.  I don't feel that way about other eras, but Baroque sounds best to my ear performed in this fashion.  While there's a renowned and terrific version of this piece with Perlman on violin, I prefer this one for its passion and intensity, as well as the balance provided by the period instruments. 

Huh. Like I told wikkid, I'd appreciate the change in the list. You couldn't pick a movement? It probably wouldn't be as long as the MIles Davis song I heard last night. 

Skip me if I come up anytime this week before 5pm central.   Work every day, and the kiddo is back at daycare, so I will be getting home later after picking her up.  

Yep, German show set in a small town, lots of intertwined stories spanning multiple time periods. I was impressed beyond belief with how they delivered on the concept in the first two seasons. 
Nice - looks like 3rd and final season is coming out in a few weeks?  Perfect time to hop on and try this out.  

sends me into such a fury of delight. i listen to it nowhere near as much as i'd like to because i can't work to it since it immediately launches me into fantasias of being a dragonfly, leaf or ice skate

Huh. Like I told wikkid, I'd appreciate the change in the list. You couldn't pick a movement? It probably wouldn't be as long as the MIles Davis song I heard last night. 
Oh, I could definitely pick a couple of movements.  They're short.  I thought the discussion here had eventually landed on not including, but I could very well be wrong.

@krista4:

Dark is a German science fiction thriller web television series co-created by Baran bo Odar and Jantje Friese.[5][6][7] Set in the fictitious town of Winden, Germany, Dark concerns the aftermath of a child's disappearance which exposes the secrets of, and hidden connections among, four estranged families as they slowly unravel a sinister time travel conspiracy which spans three generations. Throughout the series, Dark explores the existential implications of time and its effects upon human nature.

ETA:  and yes, it's on Netflix.

Yep, German show set in a small town, lots of intertwined stories spanning multiple time periods. I was impressed beyond belief with how they delivered on the concept in the first two seasons. 
Sounds interesting.  It's not over yet, though, right?  I usually don't watch a show until it's complete.  Right now I'm watching Deadwood.  :lol:  

Oh, I could definitely pick a couple of movements.  They're short.  I thought the discussion here had eventually landed on not including, but I could very well be wrong.
i'd be all for a separate mix, but it will harsh too many good buzzes in the general. and good buzzes are what we need right now

Oh, I was unaware that I was dissenting from general agreement on non-inclusion. If so, I don't mean to give the wrong impression. I really don't know. Just consider that my personal vote.

Sorry, a bit scattered here since we may be going on curfew here soon (rumors of some places near me being target of looting so everything is shutting down). 

I told myself I wouldn’t double dip in the original 30 round draft, but I won’t be able to make it to 40 without hitting up a couple groups I’ve already taken.  This one was a close call when I took Ill Communication a while back since they are my 2a/2b Beastie albums depending on my mood. Yo Mama selects:

31.19 - Beastie Boys - Check Your Head (1992)

I’ll make my song choices later tonight or tomorrow.  Feel free to notify and skip me if I come back up tonight. 

Here are my song choices, which I’ll add to the master playlist:

Jimmy James

Stand Together

Sounds interesting.  It's not over yet, though, right?  I usually don't watch a show until it's complete.  Right now I'm watching Deadwood.  :lol:  
Third season's coming in late June, and I believe it's supposed to be the last one. I don't know if it's for everyone, but it was extremely up my alley. Multiple people have told me they struggled telling the adult Germans apart, but you quickly get used to it.

I still have to watch Deadwood too.  :ph34r:

30.18 - Tusk - Fleetwood Mac (1979)

My third and final draft gimmick is to pick overlooked albums from artists who've already been selected.  This really doesn't differ that much from what everybody else is doing but humor me, I'm having a bad day.

Tusk isn't some obscurity but it was a commercial failure at the time of its original release.  The band had unlimited money and unlimited cocaine to record a follow-up to one of the biggest hits ever.  They came back with a bizarre record that still manages to be more than the sum of its disjointed parts.

I'm picking two songs by Lindsey Buckingham because him living out his Brian Wilson fantasies is what makes Tusk such a trip.

That's Enough For Me

Tusk
First link not working - redirects to this thread.  And I'm too lazy to look it up on Spotify.

32.06 True Democracy - Steel Pulse (1982)

I was one of those suburban white kids who was really into reggae in the 80s. I didn't have dreads and I didn't even indulge in the ganja back then. I also didn't truly understand the message of most of the songs. But I still love this album, both for nostalgia reasons and also because it is just damn good.

Songs:

Worth His Weight in Gold

Your House

I felt so badass when my dad somehow allowed me to buy this record. I don’t think he’d heard yet that Another One Bites the Dust was really backwards for It’s Fun to Smoke Marijuana. Just to keep @Mrs. Rannous from taking all the Queen albums, Yo Mama selects:

32.22 - Queen - The Game (1980)

1 - Play the Game

2 - Dragon Attack

3 - Another One Bites the Dust

4 - Need Your Loving Tonight

5 - Crazy Little Thing Called Love

6 - Rock It (Prime Jive)

7 - Don’t Try Suicide

8 - Sail Away Sweet Sister

9 - Coming Soon

10 - Save Me

30.34 the Go-Go's Beauty and the Beat 1981

Getting this record and Duran Duran Rio so late makes me very happy.

Our Lips Are Sealed

We Got the Beat

80's party!!
Almost took this last round.

Love "How Much More" - my GoTo Go-Go's

Users who are viewing this thread