What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (2 Viewers)

2.9Mrs Rannous--

2.10JZilla--

2.11landrys hat--

2.12krista 4--

2.13Oliver Humanzee--

2.14Eephus--

2.15otb lifer--

2.16Binky the Doormat--

2.17Doug B--

2.18Yo Mama--

2.19mphtrilogy--

2.20shuke--

2.21The Dreaded Marco--

2.22Chaos Commish--

2.23Charlie Steiner--

2.24Long Ball Larry--

2.25Abrantes--

2.26El Floppo--

2.27Steve Tasker--

2.28Northern Voice--

2.29Uruk-Hai--

2.30PIK95--ALMOST HERE!

2.31wikkidpissah--

2.32timschochet--

2.33wazoo11--

2.34zamboni--

2.35Nigel Tufnel--

2.36Karma Police--
Seeing this makes the wait feel that much longer - thanks! 

Well if this doesn't get me rescued I don't know what will

2.10 The Beatles - Help!

I guess You've Got To Hide Your Love Away and Ticket To Ride

HAVE to have John, since he's my rock n roll spirit animal, and hoped for that to be as part of a Beatles piece, so let's just do this and regroup later

Last edited by a moderator:

2.10 The Beatles - Help!

I guess You've Got To Hide Your Love Away and I've Just Seen A Face

HAVE to have John, since he's my rock n roll spirit animal, and hoped for that to be as part of a Beatles piece, so let's just do this and regroup later
FWIW, I've Just Seen a Face has already been added to our Spotify list, so I think you could pick a different song...?

Dont really know why, but i've become a sucker for the youtube vids of young people listening to OKBoomer classics for the first time. Watching them react to the power, density & imagination of classic rock gets me all puffy & chuffy. Without a doubt, this album is A, number 1, at the top of the list for sending these young earcows over the sonic moon. Aint even close.
Link?  I have no idea what these are, but they sound interesting.

2.10 The Beatles - Help!

I was hoping that was my next pick.  Great record.

What's Going on Should have been long gone too imo.  Strange draft.

Psychocandy - Jesus and Mary Chain
Just was able to get what these guys were doing with slowcore in '89 (I'm not sure they qualify, but I'm doing it anyway) about five years ago. Cheaply priced records will do that. Now I love it.

Always loved the cover of one of their songs by a band that shall both go nameless. 

Listening to a very good band that's very influenced by them right now, actually. Great stuff.

one of my Covidtine guilty pleasures is watching those ... especially the hip-hop fans who never heard of these groups/songs.  it's a riot. 

baven't seen any Who yet, but i have seen a ton of Floyd/Zep/Tull/Sabbath ... it's like those people are blasted into another universe ... i've seen tears, man - TEARS! at how great the music they never got exposed to is. 
The Queens are dead. Long live Queens Of The Stone Age. 

2.10 The Beatles - Help!

I was hoping that was my next pick.  Great record.

What's Going on Should have been long gone too imo.  Strange draft.
Help! wouldn't have made it to you as it was going to be my pick.  Strange draft indeed.  Pick forthcoming.

2.10 The Beatles - Help!

Well ####, I guess I'll just have to hum the Beatles to myself now on my island.   Thanks.

What a ####### preposterous exercise this is. :lmao:  The time between picks means I can afford to re-listen to several of my shortlist candidates, and with every one I go "yep, this is my next pick", "no, THIS is the pick" etc. Changed my mind on my second pick like half a dozen times already. Gonna come down to whoever has the ball last, apparently.

What a ####### preposterous exercise this is. :lmao:  The time between picks means I can afford to re-listen to several of my shortlist candidates, and with every one I go "yep, this is my next pick", "no, THIS is the pick" etc. Changed my mind on my second pick like half a dozen times already. Gonna come down to whoever has the ball last, apparently.
Basically what I’m doing too. I have no idea what my next pick is going to be 

Just was able to get what these guys were doing with slowcore in '89 (I'm not sure they qualify, but I'm doing it anyway) about five years ago. Cheaply priced records will do that. Now I love it.

Always loved the cover of one of their songs by a band that shall both go nameless. 

Listening to a very good band that's very influenced by them right now, actually. Great stuff.
always figured them to be right up your alley ... these guys tossed so much influence ... one of those bands that other bands love and swear by. 

always figured them to be right up your alley ... these guys tossed so much influence ... one of those bands that other bands love and swear by. 
Yeah, funny you should comment. I just changed the record and put this on. Really just needed to grow a little in terms of taste and the speed of music, really. I was never a mid-tempo guy, so it opens up a lot of new bands to listen to. It doesn't really make sense, this aversion to slower-paced bands, but when you grew up on and loved the hyperspeed of punk for the sheer BPM fury of it, you grow with music a little differently, I guess. So Psychocandy? Great stuff. 

I skipped my favorite band in the first round since there were a lot of their albums that I'd be happy with on my island.  I just didn't expect this to be the one I'd get in mid-second round:

2.12 - The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

After my spiel about what a "complete" album Innervisions is, it's fitting that I would pick up this, the most album-y album of the Beatles ouevre.  In addition to its being a complete, self-contained work, what I like most about having this on my desert island is how diverse it is.  Outside of the usual, I get a George Indian-influenced song, the best song with Ringo on lead, and what's simply the best song the lads ever recorded.  I wanted Rubber Soul in this draft, but once it was gone (yeah, it was the "wrong" version but I"m not going to cheat by choosing the other one), I wasn't sure where I preferred to go.  Happy to have this one on my island!

A Day in the Life (duh)

Good Morning Good Morning - I'm choosing this one because I think it's underappreciated, and it showcases Ringo.  The time signatures and drum parts are just bonkers.

Mr. krista is sitting next to me, so I nudged him that he's up.

Yeah, funny you should comment. I just changed the record and put this on. Really just needed to grow a little in terms of taste and the speed of music, really. I was never a mid-tempo guy, so it opens up a lot of new bands to listen to. It doesn't really make sense, this aversion to slower-paced bands, but when you grew up on and loved the hyperspeed of punk for the sheer BPM fury of it, you grow with music a little differently, I guess. So Psychocandy? Great stuff. 
they could uptempo like a mutha

:hifive:

If you don't like FPS due to perspective - you are out of luck. If you don't like FPS due to needing to have excellent aim/fast reaction time - there are characters where you can be very helpful *without* being mechanically gifted (as long as you have decent game sense).

I am in my mid 40s but still have decent aim/reaction time. For instance, I average 175-180 ms on this over 5 attempts:

https://humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

However, I play with buddies I have known for years that are no where close to that. We play competitive together and we do hit a ceiling (I could climb higher if I just solo queued) but that ceiling isn't usually hit by solely being outclassed mechanically. The main cause for hitting a ceiling in that game is due to decision making. Also, there are a ton of game modes and modified games where you can do all sorts of entertaining stuff.
What I've found to be very interesting and unique to Overwatch is the sheer amount of information that you must process instantaneously.  The sound cues, your cooldowns, enemy cooldowns, ult tracking, etc.  It is possible to get pretty good at the game without elite mechanical skill if you're smart.  I love playing Brig, and she takes about as little mechanical skill as possible.  But she is totally useless if you're out of position, and if you miss that key CC ability in the fraction of the second that you need to land it, you've let your team down.  All of the different micro-plays that make up a win or a loss.  Coming from playing about a decade of Gears of War, I love the brawl cqc type heroes.  Players with Counter-Strike backgrounds love playing the high skill ceiling aim heroes.  It's literally a game where you can play any style of hero that you want, at least at lower ranks.

What I've found to be very interesting and unique to Overwatch is the sheer amount of information that you must process instantaneously.  The sound cues, your cooldowns, enemy cooldowns, ult tracking, etc.  It is possible to get pretty good at the game without elite mechanical skill if you're smart.  I love playing Brig, and she takes about as little mechanical skill as possible.  But she is totally useless if you're out of position, and if you miss that key CC ability in the fraction of the second that you need to land it, you've let your team down.  All of the different micro-plays that make up a win or a loss.  Coming from playing about a decade of Gears of War, I love the brawl cqc type heroes.  Players with Counter-Strike backgrounds love playing the high skill ceiling aim heroes.  It's literally a game where you can play any style of hero that you want, at least at lower ranks.
Get a room, you two.

Users who are viewing this thread