What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (2 Viewers)

This thing has gotten harder and harder as it's gone along. My list keeps getting bigger and bigger. Starting to feel the squeeze. Not sure what to leave out.

29.10 - Sandro Perri - Impossible Spaces (2011)

I really loved this album from like 2011-2013, then it totally fell off my radar until I rediscovered it like a year ago and remembered how fantastic it is.  Been heavy in the rotation since.  I'm not really sure what genre this is.  Some kind of bizarre experimental indie rock, I guess.  He actually put out an album in 2019 that I enjoyed, but it's not as good as this.

"Changes"

"How Will I?"

Again, songs to be named later, but I decided I will need a sprinkling of rap/hip-hop and I thought this was long gone.  (seems like that's the mantra of the last couple rounds)

33.01:  KENDRICK LAMAR - TO PIMP A BUTTERFLY (2015)
Huh. I thought no way I'd get sniped. Not to worry, I've got two.

30.31 - Nujabes - Spiritual State (2011)

I suppose it's time I pick something from Nujabes.  I'll continue to carry the torch on this one as he's one of the most important artists of all-time for me.  This album is a mostly-instrumental jazz hip-hop album with a few features here and there from his usual collaborators.

He died in a car accident in February 2010, leaving this album unfinished.  After sitting idle for a few months, some of his friends and frequent collaborators banded together to finish the album in his memory.  It was released in December 2011, about 22 months after he died.  These are the last two tracks of the last album he'll ever release, and they're a perfect encapsulation of his music.

"Prayer"

"Island" (feat Uyama Hiroto and Haruka Nakamura)

Shuffle play review

Slave -  Elton John - Good song. My go to Elton album has always been Tumbleweed, and I need to spend more time with his other albums such as this one (Honky Chateau). 

A Pillar of Salt - The Thermals - Good thrashing music, but lyrics could be better

A Good Idea - Sugar.  Catchy tune

Backseat  Freestyle - Kendrick Lamar - This music makes me want to shoot the singer just to make it stop

The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana Live - Great cover

Drivin' Sister - Mott the Hoople - Good old fashioned 70s rock

Frank & Ava - Suzanne Vega - Nice tune

Get Down - Nas - Eh tough getting through it, so I had to shut it down.

Mix Results:

Christchurch Woman - Justin Townes Earle:  Had never heard it, like it a lot.  8

Hells Bells - AC/DC: Wow, what a transition.  If I could have a GH AC/DC album I would. 9

Pyramid Song - Radiohead:  Would not have been my selection from Amnesiac but mabye it should have been 8.5

Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys:  Wow, when I was younger I just thought this was a silly beach song, so musically meticulous. 9

Getting In Tune - The Who:  Its The Who 7 (Oasis must have liked this song)

Amok - Atoms For Peace:  :oldunsure:   5

New Pony - The Dead Weather:  Jack White on the drums?  Sure, I'll play.  8.5

Willie Nelson - On the Road Again:  So good live, who doesn't like Willie 8

Last edited by a moderator:
PICK 34.20

ROBERT PLANT - NOW AND ZEN (1988)

Still accumulating the smooth portion of my island collection.  This CD was a big part of our beach vacations in Hilton Head - we went every year for the first ten years or so of our marriage.  I hear this - it takes me back ... :)

Allmusic - After years of trying to separate himself from his legendary status as Led Zeppelin's frontman, Robert Plant finally reconciles with his past on Now & Zen. He borrows a few Zeppelin riffs, and even enlists Jimmy Page to play guitar on his hit "Tall Cool One." 

Songs

- Heaven Knows

- Tall Cool One

Rd 34

The Pleasure Principle - Gary Numan (1979)

... there's that year again

looking back now, some 40 years later, this was such a natural progression from Kraftwerk to Bowie's "Low" to this - but when i first heard Kraftwerk it was "kinda weird" ...  "Low" was a surprise, but it was Bowie bein' Bowie (his genius was never shocking) ... but this, this Gary Numan platter?  this was ####### alien 👽

yep, "Cars" is here, and it's one of the landmark songs of this mossy era - still sends a shiver after 40 yrs, and enough to wanna take this wherever i'm heading  - the synth barrage is as lethal as any guitar - likewise throughout much of the other 38 minutes on the album - he can be called "one hit wonder" to many, but his influence reached out to many genres and artists ... this was a watershed event as we hit the eve of the 80s. 

nothing sounded like this, the production made use of techniques that i hadn't heard used together before -  there was a chilling minimalism to post punk, this brushed on that ambiance via lyric content, and a foreboding air of "wtf" permeated throughout ... like A.I. had control of this whole friggin' affair - claustrophobic and bizarre a.f.

visionary cat here ... lotta love for this piece of work. 

Metal

Cars 

I can't see what pick this is because Binky(?) might be sorting the spreadsheet.

I'm going to move away from my traditional bleak singer-songwriter dude music, and...

KIDDING!

Not that anyone but me was taking this, but all the Golden Smog pick (verrrryyyyy different from Smog) made me think I'd go ahead.

whatever pick - Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle (2009)

I just realized that a lot of my favorite music is from people I wouldn't want to hang out with.  Bill Callahan also falls into that category.  

Too Many Birds

Jim Cain

I feel like I am watching a different movie than everyone else.  I am 1 hour in, uninvested, and kind of bored.  
I don't think you are.  All the posts I've read here were from people who didn't like it.  :shrug:  

ETA:  It was the near-universal disdain that made me want to watch it.  :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I am watching a different movie than everyone else.  I am 1 hour in, uninvested, and kind of bored.  
THANK YOU!

touched on it in other threads, but this was dreck for the most part ... 

KRISTA (or whoever else hasn't seen it) - DO NOT OPEN!!

Krista, what are ya doing here?

😁

... until the end - LOVED IT, and i cheered! 

You know you’re over-thinking things when you’re this deep into the draft and you spend more than 5 seconds thinking about which of the next 2 to take first. I did. So I smacked myself in the face, stopped, and just picked the one I found myself chair dancing to more. Much like the next one, this is my favorite offering from an artist I want on my island and would have prioritized sooner if this were greatest hits.

Round 33 - Bob Seger, Live Bullet (1975)

I get this artist elicits some strong reactions, ones I don’t particularly understand, I am rather surprised he is completely unrepresented this deep into this thing. There may not be any Night Moves (oh noes! spoiler!), but he’s better live than in the studio so I’ll deal with the trade-off.

Turn the Page

Ramblin' Gamblin' Man
Great value, love that album 

More Shuffle review

A bit of finger/Sleeping village/ Warning - Black Sabbath -  It's a mood piece for me. Deep cut rock song that is long, but not bad at all.  I could see really liking it if I was high, cause I would lose track of time, and not realize how long it's been playing.

You Are the Everything - REM - It's no Orange Crush

Right Now, Right Now - Rev. Al Green - Groovy Goodness. I especially like the mid part of the song.

Save A Prayer - Duran Duran - They made some good songs, and this is one of them.

My Morning Song - Black Crowes - Good song. I like the guitars and the backup singers.

None of Us - Fruit Bats - Do I hear a pedal steel? I like it. 

Everybody Dance - Chic - Disco is always good in my book. Nile Rodgers is super talented.

Monday Monday - Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs - Nice cover to a great song

I don't think you are.  All the posts I've read here were from people who didn't like it.  :shrug:  

ETA:  It was the near-universal disdain that made me want to watch it.  :lol:  
Yeah,but most of the complaints I seem to see is too much swearing and unlikable characters.  That never bothers me and I usually think those are dumb complaints.  

I just didn't expect to be bored and looking at my phone.  

Yeah,but most of the complaints I seem to see is too much swearing and unlikable characters.  That never bothers me and I usually think those are dumb complaints.  

I just didn't expect to be bored and looking at my phone.  
I remember people saying unlikable characters and agree that's never a factor for me either.  But swearing?  Adult humans are worried about too much swearing?  :lol:  

Users who are viewing this thread