Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I remember people saying unlikable characters and agree that's never a factor for me either.  But swearing?  Adult humans are worried about too much swearing?  :lol: 

I could care less about the unlikable characters thing.  Give me interesting over likable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I remember people saying unlikable characters and agree that's never a factor for me either.  But swearing?  Adult humans are worried about too much swearing?  :lol: 

The complaints are the characters are all unlikable, it’s loud with lots of swearing and it’s too intense. I thought those things made it really good.

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

Rd 34

The Pleasure Principle - Gary Numan (1979)

... there's that year again

looking back now, some 40 years later, this was such a natural progression from Kraftwerk to Bowie's "Low" to this - but when i first heard Kraftwerk it was "kinda weird" ...  "Low" was a surprise, but it was Bowie bein' Bowie (his genius was never shocking) ... but this, this Gary Numan platter?  this was ####### alien 👽

yep, "Cars" is here, and it's one of the landmark songs of this mossy era - still sends a shiver after 40 yrs, and enough to wanna take this wherever i'm heading  - the synth barrage is as lethal as any guitar - likewise throughout much of the other 38 minutes on the album - he can be called "one hit wonder" to many, but his influence reached out to many genres and artists ... this was a watershed event as we hit the eve of the 80s. 

nothing sounded like this, the production made use of techniques that i hadn't heard used together before -  there was a chilling minimalism to post punk, this brushed on that ambiance via lyric content, and a foreboding air of "wtf" permeated throughout ... like A.I. had control of this whole friggin' affair - claustrophobic and bizarre a.f.

visionary cat here ... lotta love for this piece of work. 

Metal

Cars 

I was humming Cars a few days ago.  It's always on XM.  Great tune.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was one of my favorite albums from the early eighties. I love the whole album for its great vibe, but I’ll be taking the biggest hits from it since they never get old for me. Yo Mama selects:

 

34.22 - Joe Jackson - Night and Day (1982)

 

I’m too lazy to type up the whole track listing tonight, but here are my songs:

Steppin’ Out

Breaking Us In Two

 

  • Like 7
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, shuke said:

Not sure I understand this ruling.

because the picks have passed you by - you have been skipped

your turn has come and gone in the 34th rd

at least one person that has their turn after you in that rd is now able to pick 

that would enable you to make your 34th rd pick at your leisure

Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34.18 - Murray St. - Sonic Youth (2002)

Previously drafted at 8.05 by @Bonzai (Daydream Nation)

Daydream Nation is a more important and probably better album but this is my favorite Sonic Youth record and definitely better suited for a small island IMO.

It's their first album post 9/11 and their second after Jim O'Rourke joined the group.  I guess you could say it's a quieter and calmer SY but they're still capable of bringing great noise.

Rain on Tin

Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

The complaints are the characters are all unlikable, it’s loud with lots of swearing and it’s too intense. I thought those things made it really good.

That's what the Safdie Brothers do

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34.24 Spoon - Transference (2010)
 

Tracklist:

1.    "Before Destruction"  
2.    "Is Love Forever?"    
3.    "The Mystery Zone" 
4.    "Who Makes Your Money"  
5.    "Written in Reverse"   
6.    "I Saw the Light"    
7.    "Trouble Comes Running"    
8.    "Goodnight Laura"   
9.    "Out Go the Lights"    
10.    "Got Nuffin"   
11.    "Nobody Gets Me But You"

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, simey said:

Mom had this album when I was growing up, and I loved it. Still do.  "When Will I Be Loved" is on the record, which most would know, but I'm going to put a song on it that I think Wicked Wikki would like cause JD Souther wrote it, and he loves him some JD.  It's a nice song with a slow bango weaving through it. JD also sings a bit on the song. This album also has the great Hank Williams cover of I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love with You), which she does with Emmy Lou. I also love "Keep Me From Blowing Away" and more. All the songs are good on it. 

Round 34

Heart Like A Wheel -  Linda Ronstadt (1974)

You're No Good

Faithless Love

 

I didn’t think anyone took this and was lining up for next. Great choice! 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to watch something in June, but I don't remember what it is. I made a note, and can't find it. Maybe it's Laurel Canyon on EPIX. I'll tape it anyway since Ep.1 comes back on at 1:40 am. It doesn't seem like that is what it was, but I'll watch that anyway.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, shuke said:

34.24 Spoon - Transference (2010)
 

Tracklist:

1.    "Before Destruction"  
2.    "Is Love Forever?"    
3.    "The Mystery Zone" 
4.    "Who Makes Your Money"  
5.    "Written in Reverse"   
6.    "I Saw the Light"    
7.    "Trouble Comes Running"    
8.    "Goodnight Laura"   
9.    "Out Go the Lights"    
10.    "Got Nuffin"   
11.    "Nobody Gets Me But You"

Unpopular opinion but this is probably my favorite spoon

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:
3 hours ago, simey said:

Heart Like A Wheel -  Linda Ronstadt (1974)

You're No Good

Faithless Love

 

I didn’t think anyone took this and was lining up for nest. Great choice! 

I listened to this album over the weekend but went with Jackson Browne instead. 

There are so many great songs on the album and Ronstadt can sing anything.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

It’s not what Adam Sandler usually does which is why I think there was so many negative reviews.

You Don't Mess with the Zohan is back on Netflix.

I really kind of liked it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Eephus said:

 

I listened to this album over the weekend but went with Jackson Browne instead. 

There are so many great songs on the album and Ronstadt can sing anything.

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but what was your second shtick, between the compilations and the deep mining?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

It’s not what Adam Sandler usually does which is why I think there was so many negative reviews.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a "usual" Sandler movie, but Punch Drunk Love was fantastic.

Maybe a movie club theme?  Actors in unusual roles for them?  I.e., Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine, this, etc.?  Of course, last time I inadvertently suggested a theme, it was a disaster.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:
5 minutes ago, simey said:
24 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Luckily we have Top Chef in just three days.

I need to start watching that again.

do we have to download bravo app on the amazon firestick to get this season?

The finals start on Thursday.

Three episodes to go.

ETA:  and 100% less Brian Malarkey

ETA 2:  unless they bring him back to sous chef for some poor schmoe

Edited by Eephus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a "usual" Sandler movie, but Punch Drunk Love was fantastic.

Maybe a movie club theme?  Actors in unusual roles for them?  I.e., Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine, this, etc.?  Of course, last time I inadvertently suggested a theme, it was a disaster.

that "Sunday Times Crossword Puzzle" theme had no choice but to crash and burn

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The finals start on Thursday.

Three episodes to go.

ETA:  and 100% less Brian Malarkey

ETA 2:  unless they bring him back to sous chef for some poor schmoe

Oh god, no one would choose him, would they?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

side note:

I have a 50-1 odds bet on Hillary becoming his VP nominee

I also have a 75-1 odds bet she wins the election as the Democratic nominee 

Why do you hate money?

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Why do you hate money?

I have a theory that she is obsessed with becoming president and hasn't given up.  She is "biding" her time until the Dems realize that she is their best hope and beg her to come on board as VP.  Also becomes the best "fill-in" if they decide Joe becomes to much of a liability (health/voter questioning health).  

Edited by Binky The Doormat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Gotta admit he's great TV

Gotta keep someone everyone hates around for ratings-sake. I get it. We are driven by our corporate overlord's pursuit of the almighty dollar. But, still. #### that guy.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I have a theory that she is obsessed with becoming president and hasn't given up.  She is "biding" her time until the party until the Dems realize that she is their best hope and beg her to come on board as VP.  Also becomes the best "fill-in" if they decide Joe becomes to much of a liability (health/voter questioning health).  

The winds don't seem to be blowing the flames in her direction right now.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...