What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (5 Viewers)

Finally a Linda run!  I've been ready to pick this one for 20 rounds or so, one of the all time great pop vocalists, she never released a live album until last year, which was a concert recorded for HBO in 1980, but released in 2019, this shows Linda at the very top of her game and powers.  An amazing voice and the recent documentary is well worth checking out.. one of my favorite releases of 2019...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Ronstadt:_The_Sound_of_My_Voice

34 - Linda Ronstadt ‎– Live In Hollywood - 2019

Tracklist

• I Can't Let Go3:06
  • It's So Easy2:38
  • Willin'3:36
  • Just One Look3:06
  • Blue Bayou4:18
  • Faithless Love3:54
  • Hurt So Bad3:25
  • Poor Poor Pitiful Me3:53
  • You're No Good6:12
  • How Do I Make You2:49
  • Back In The U.S.A.2:58
  • Desperado3:44

Catch up pick as I fell out early last night 

34.17    Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell(1980)

My second from this band but with Dio on vocals it's like a whole different but still awesome band. This is the second non-Beatles album I ever bought with my own money back in 1981 and Ive loved it ever since. The 3 previous albums had gotten further and further from the classic Sabbath sound and this one does to but in a good way. After the firing of Ozzy and a 2 year break the addition of Dio added new life and energy to the band. Yes there are a couple clunkers but the title track is one of my all time favs so this has to be on my island.

Heaven and Hell

Die Young

Catch up pick as I fell out early last night 

34.17    Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell(1980)

My second from this band but with Dio on vocals it's like a whole different but still awesome band. This is the second non-Beatles album I ever bought with my own money back in 1981 and Ive loved it ever since. The 3 previous albums had gotten further and further from the classic Sabbath sound and this one does to but in a good way. After the firing of Ozzy and a 2 year break the addition of Dio added new life and energy to the band. Yes there are a couple clunkers but the title track is one of my all time favs so this has to be on my island.

Heaven and Hell

Die Young
:hifive:

was looking at this one, myself ... RJD in the shuffle  :headbang:

34th rd status

@AbrantesITC

@Steve TaskerITC

@Northern VoiceITC

• 33.40cosjobs-skip-
  • 34.0--
  • 34.1cosjobs-skip-
  • 34.2simey-Linda Ronstadt-Heart Like a Wheel
  • 34.3rockaction-People Under The Stairs-The Next Step
  • 34.4Mister CIA-permaskip-
  • 34.5Bonzai-skip - timed out - owes picks-
  • 34.6RedmondLonghorn-Dread Zeppelin-Un-Led-Ed
  • 34.7MAC 32-The Doobie Brothers-What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits
  • 34.8Dr Octopus-Phish-A Live One
  • 34.9Ilov80s-skip-previously timed out - owes pick-
  • 34.10Hov34-Ben Folds Five-Live
  • 34.11rcam-Snoop Dogg-Doggystyle
  • 34.12Mr Ected-skip until I catch up-
  • 34.13Mrs Rannous-15 minute clock-owes picks-skip-
  • 34.14JZilla-@ and then skip-
  • 34.15landrys hat-Can-Tago Mago
  • 34.16krista 4-Bill Callahan-Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle
  • 34.17Raging weasel-Black Sabbath-Heaven and Hell
  • 34.18Eephus-Sonic Youth-Murray St.
  • 34.19otb lifer-Gary Numan-The Pleasure Principle
  • 34.20Binky the Doormat-Robert Plant-Now And Zen
  • 34.21Buffaloes-Blur-13
  • 34.22Yo Mama-Joe Jackson-Night And Day
  • 34.23mphtrilogy-Linda Ronstadt-Live In Hollywood
  • 34.24shuke-Spoon-Transference
  • 34.25The Dreaded Marco-Liars-Liars
  • 34.26Chaos Commish-permaskip TO THE MAX!! - by request-
  • 34.27Charlie Steiner-Whitney Houston-Whitney Houston
  • 34.28Long Ball Larry-skip until further notice-
  • 34.29Abrantes-ITC-
  • 34.30El Floppo-10 minute clock-
  • 34.31Steve Tasker-ITC-
  • 34.32Northern Voice-ITC-
  • 34.33Uruk-Hai-skip until hear otherwise-
  • 3434PIK95--
  • 34.35wikkidpissah--
  • 34.36timschochet-permaskip-
  • 34.37wazoo11--
  • 34.38zamboni-10 min clock-
  • 34.39Nigel Tufnel-10 min clock-
  • 34.40Karma Police-skip any time before 5pm CST-

***Request for judge's decision***

I would like to switch my last pick. Same artist but different album.  I would like to substitute Whitney: The Greatest Hits as it contains previously unreleased material.  If allowed, please swap All at Once for The Star Spangled Banner. 

Guess I am drafting backup kickers for a while.

Round 34) Doggystyle - Snoop Dogg (1993)

Who Am I (What's My Name)?

Gin and Juice
Dammit, that was going to be my next one- another I was surprised lasted so long.  Guess I have to dig a little deeper for my next couple rap picks.  

Round 28  Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure  -  Soundtrack (1989)

Breakaway  (Most savory music.) (Big Pig)

The Boys and Girls Are Doing It  (Vital Signs)

I don't care if it's a soundtrack of whatever.  It's on my island, dammit.
:lmao:

26.38: ABC - The Lexicon of Love (1982)

Show Me

The Look of Love (Part One)

27.03: Earth Wind & Fire - That's The Way of The World (1975)

Shining Star

Happy Feelin;

28.38: Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow (1967)

Comin' Back To Me

White Rabbit

29.03: Booker T. & The MG's - Green Onions (1962)

I Got A Woman

Mo' Onions

30.38: Humble Pie - Performance Rockin' The Fillmore (1971)

Stone Cold Fever

I Don't Need No Doctor

31.03: Jimmy Cliff - Wonderful World, Beautiful People (1970)

Many Rivers To Cross

Vietnam
Got some catching up to do, but posting above songs first.

Can someone check to see that I added these properly - hard to tell from phone.

When the next 2 you had teed up went down while you were sleeping.

Then you take a step back and realize the next 2 you had teed up were Snoop Dogg and...Neil Diamond.

Like 2 peas in a ####### pod, huh.

Dammit, that was going to be my next one- another I was surprised lasted so long.  Guess I have to dig a little deeper for my next couple rap picks. 
Considering the guy whose shtick is hip hop always hated that era's popular West Coast sound from '93-'96, it's not really a stunner. Yeah, Dre, I said it. Your P-Funk synths nearly killed rap music. 

confirmed, just saw them hit the list
Had a dream you did a full-length review of Run The Jewels 2. Can't remember what you said exactly but it had to do with "false charm." 

I don't know what that means, but damn if I didn't wake up to that. I need to get out of this thread. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a dream you did a full-length review of Run The Jewels 2. Can't remember what you said exactly but it had to do with "false charm." 

I don't know what that means, but damn if I didn't wake up to that. I need to get out of this thread. 
i dreamt i was a hamburger - correlation ... ?

:shrug:

***Request for judge's decision***

I would like to switch my last pick. Same artist but different album.  I would like to substitute Whitney: The Greatest Hits as it contains previously unreleased material.  If allowed, please swap All at Once for The Star Spangled Banner. 
Not allowed. The rule is no greatest hits, new material doesn't matter (every greatest hits in the cd era tacks on one new song)

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a "usual" Sandler movie, but Punch Drunk Love was fantastic.

Maybe a movie club theme?  Actors in unusual roles for them?  I.e., Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine, this, etc.?  Of course, last time I inadvertently suggested a theme, it was a disaster.
I rewatched Punch Drunk Love recently and I disliked it as much this time as I did when it came out. PTA is either a grand slam or a total whiff for me.

I rewatched Punch Drunk Love recently and I disliked it as much this time as I did when it came out. PTA is either a grand slam or a total whiff for me.
For me, that's still his only whiff.  I've tried with that movie 3x now, and don't get why it shows up on critic lists.  

Considering the guy whose shtick is hip hop always hated that era's popular West Coast sound from '93-'96, it's not really a stunner. Yeah, Dre, I said it. Your P-Funk synths nearly killed rap music. 
Fair enough, but you aren't the only one taking a sprinkling of rap, and I thought that would be one taken a lot earlier.  There is another big artist that I don't like and I am also a little surprised hasn't gone from the genre too.  

This draft is full of surprises like that though - ie I didn't know that RHCP seem to be just about universally disliked.  ;)

Punch Drunk Love is an uncomfortable watch. It's still a sort of accurate potrayal of the pent-up rage of the everyman in America. The scene where he's talking about the DJ who "tells it like it is" on the air is sort of revealing and stunning. 

Fair enough, but you aren't the only one taking a sprinkling of rap, and I thought that would be one taken a lot earlier.  There is another big artist that I don't like and I am also a little surprised hasn't gone from the genre too.  

This draft is full of surprises like that though - ie I didn't know that RHCP seem to be just about universally disliked.  ;)
True dat on the first. But Doggystyle was never really revered as much as The Chronic, so I'm not too surprised.

As for the latter, I skipped the RHCP hate. There are silent ones among us who like the Peppers and all the machismo they bring to the adult alternative genre. 

Did you like The Master? I did not get that one at all, despite a brilliant cast.
PDL, The Master and Inherent Vice were all pretty bad imo. Boogie Nights, There Will Be Blood, Magnolia and Phatom Thread are 4 of the best movies of the last 25ish years. 

PDL, The Master and Inherent Vice were all pretty bad imo. Boogie Nights, There Will Be Blood, Magnolia and Phatom Thread are 4 of the best movies of the last 25ish years. 
I like Punk Drunk Love, Inherent Vice was a mess but held my interest for a while. I could not follow The Master at all. If there was a point to it, it was lost on me. I have not seen Phantom Thread - will check it out as I love the rest of those.

Thirty-Three.09 - The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995)

Disc one – Dawn to Dusk
1.    "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"         2:52
2.    "Tonight, Tonight"         4:14
3.    "Jellybelly"         3:01
4.    "Zero"         2:41
5.    "Here Is No Why"         3:45
6.    "Bullet with Butterfly Wings"         4:18
7.    "To Forgive"         4:17
8.    "#### You (An Ode to No One)"        4:51
9.    "Love"         4:21
10.    "Cupid de Locke"         2:50
11.    "Galapogos"         4:47
12.    "Muzzle"         3:44
13.    "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans"         9:21
14.    "Take Me Down"      2:52
Total length:    57:54

Disc two – Twilight to Starlight

1.    "Where Boys Fear to Tread"         4:22
2.    "Bodies"         4:12
3.    "Thirty-Three"         4:10
4.    "In the Arms of Sleep"         4:12
5.    "1979"         4:25
6.    "Tales of a Scorched Earth"         3:46
7.    "Thru the Eyes of Ruby"         7:38
8.    "Stumbleine"         2:54
9.    "X.Y.U."         7:07
10.    "We Only Come Out at Night"         4:05
11.    "Beautiful"         4:18
12.    "Lily (My One and Only)"         3:31
13.    "By Starlight"         4:48
14.    "Farewell and Goodnight"      4:22

And we'll turn the corner with some more 90s. 4 singers, 4 song writers, Beatles-y power pop.

34.32 - Sloan - One Chord to Another (1996)

1.    "The Good in Everyone"    2:17
2.    "Nothing Left to Make Me Want to Stay"      2:35
3.    "Autobiography"    3:18
4.    "Junior Panthers"     2:38
5.    "G Turns to D"      3:24
6.    "A Side Wins"      3:11
7.    "Everything You've Done Wrong"     3:29
8.    "Anyone Who's Anyone"    2:48
9.    "The Lines You Amend"    2:32
10.    "Take the Bench"      3:50
11.    "Can't Face Up"    3:53
12.    "400 Metres"     4:31