Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

Just now, Nigel Tufnel said:

I can do hers if you want. 

:heart:  They are caught up as of now, but if you want to take hers going forward, that's fab.  I'll keep doing Uruk's and wikkid's.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:
11 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Give me an assignment. I can grab one of them. 

i can use the help also 🧍‍♂️

2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I am behind, but can keep adding yours. 

You guys can fight it out over who does the honors.  I'll keep adding wikkid and Uruk, and Nigel can do Mrs. R.  Not really do her...

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

37.16  The Glands - The Glands (2000)

Another excellent Athens band that never got the notoriety they should have.  This one is a lost classic, IMO.

Livin' Was Easy

I Can See My House From Here

I knew you’d be on this. I listened in recent years and added about five songs from it to my big playlist. 

• Like 1

humpshuffle:

Hyperballad - Bjork. Seems auspicious that my first shuffle song in a week should be a single-groove number from an artist i like and drafted for my desert island. Empirically. it feels to me that the early establishment of a short-arc groove that wont be varied or played with in any way immediately and completely makes all the added goodness feel like a toupee atop it

Muddy Waters - The Seldom Scene. Excellent Americana here - not only bluegrass instrumentation, but the earnest urgency of classic pre-rock folk songs 

My Name is Jonas - Weezer. The pluck v crunch contrasts dont work for me at all here. poorly integrated

Love For Sale - Cannonball Adderly. What a terrible segue - jazz really blends poorly with the body of this mix. One of my favorite tunes, both sexy & lonely, but Miles & Adderly just arent on the same page with the theme, so it dont really work.

Smile, Please - Stevie Wonder. This is the 7th or 8th shuffle i've done and this is the first song on them that i drafted. Funny that it might be the most important song of my life. I was having a cardiac incident and i wanted to sing thru the pain til help was available. couldnt think of a song, so i hit my bedside CD player and this, the 1st song of Fulfillingness, gave me the presence to survive

Room Without A View - the Smithereens. Odd band - sounds both derivative and honest. Like it, tho

Winona - Matthew Sweet Little above the songs every dood who heard i was in the music biz ptiched to me that he wrote in his dormroom. I can do without all of em and intend to.

Bring on the Night - The Police. I've told the story before, The Monkees' Michael Nesmith had a cable music channel before MTV. There was this vid of three gorgeous boys walking up Mulholland @ sunset strumming palm fronds as they sang. It was this, my first exposure to one of my alltime favorite bands. I never saw the video on MTV and it has never been available on youtube.

Badlands - The Boss. First good segue, except Seldom Scene into Weezer, which got blown up fast. As i've also written before, a regular sketch on my radio show was Springsteen as an old man in a nursing home complaining from his wheelchair about food, service, and inattentive family in a geriatric version of his hotrod soap opera voice and it has spoiled me for their variants ever since.

Red Barchetta - Rush. Prog as realized by chipmunks with erections. What's not to love?!

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 4

Can’t live on my island without a bit more Steely Dan. This is another one of my favorites of theirs with their usual great vibes on top of some great variety across the album. Yo Mama selects:

37.19 - Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic (1974)

1 - Rikki Don’t Lose That Number

2 - Night by Night :thumbup:

3 - Any Major Dude Will Tell You

4 - Barrytown

5 - East St. Louis Toodle-Oo 🎶

6 - Parker’s Band 😎

7 - Through with Buzz

8 - Pretzel Logic

9 - With a Gun

10 - Charlie Freak

11 - Monkey in Your Soul

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Yo Mama said:

Can’t live on my island without a bit more Steely Dan. This is another one of my favorites of theirs with their usual great vibes on top of some great variety across the album. Yo Mama selects:

4 - Barrytown

6 - Parker’s Band 😎

7 - Through with Buzz

8 - Pretzel Logic

9 - With a Gun

10 - Charlie Freak

11 - Monkey in Your Soul

may your island ever be embued with major dudeness

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

4 - Barrytown

6 - Parker’s Band 😎

7 - Through with Buzz

8 - Pretzel Logic

9 - With a Gun

10 - Charlie Freak

11 - Monkey in Your Soul

Was on my list.  Would have picked Barrytown and Any Major Dude, but to each his own.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Was on my list.  Would have picked Barrytown and Any Major Dude, but to each his own.

Funny, I was actually leaning towards Night by Night and Parker’s Band, but decided to stick with the popular ones since they were always my favorite. So much goodness on this album. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Muddy Waters - The Seldom Scene. Excellent Americana here - not only bluegrass instrumentation, but the earnest urgency of classic pre-rock folk songs 

Room With A View - the Smithereens. Odd band - sounds both derivative and honest.

You got two of mine that time.

Didn't learn until recently that Johnny Cash had also recorded Muddy Waters, and before the Scene did. I never didn't like this song, but it grows on me with each passing year.

Not to nitpick, but the Smithereens' song is Room Without a View.  Not disagreeing with your assessment about being derivative, but in their defense, I think their lead singer/songwriter (Pat DiNizio--RIP) knew what his strength was and stuck to it.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Huh. Wonder what happened. 

What's happening IMO is that trolls are being allowed to overrun the site while good people are getting suspended and/or frustrated and leaving.  Redmond is an IRL friend of mine and one of the people around here I admire most.

Anyway, heard from him again, and he wanted to be sure I expressed his regrets to this group, because he is a fan of a whole lot of people in this thread and hopes he'll be able to stay in touch even if he doesn't come back on this site.  

He's not going to make the remaining picks; I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

14 minutes ago, krista4 said:

@RedmondLonghorn has been suspended for a month for reasons unknown and won't be able to complete the draft.  I offered to post his picks for him if he wanted to wind up through Round 40 and am awaiting a reply.  He might be (understandably) too pissed.  

Vague cliff notes on what happened?

He is a sniper of my stuff, but I want him to keep going fwiw.

Edited by PIK95

7 minutes ago, PIK95 said:

Vague cliff notes on what happened?

He is a sniper of my stuff, but I want him to keep going fwiw.

See above.  He doesn't seem to know what got him clipped.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, krista4 said:

What's happening IMO is that trolls are being allowed to overrun the site while good people are getting suspended and/or frustrated and leaving.  Redmond is an IRL friend of mine and one of the people around here I admire most.

Anyway, heard from him again, and he wanted to be sure I expressed his regrets to this group, because he is a fan of a whole lot of people in this thread and hopes he'll be able to stay in touch even if he doesn't come back on this site.  

He's not going to make the remaining picks; I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.

Yeah, this place has been particularly cesspooly this AM. Basically have to stay in this thread...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Yeah, this place has been particularly cesspooly this AM. Basically have to stay in this thread...

They locked down my town with an 8pm curfew last night because of "threats"  Businesses boarded up, national guard, and Helicopters were out all night.  Absolutely nobody came to destroy our city surprisingly.  Point is my Facebook was a face palm all night.  I am not going near it being a public figure here.

Anyway, I'm thinking I'm gonna change up my strategy a bit around the round of forty.  Play list be damzed!

Edited by PIK95
  • Like 1

36.33 Car Wash - Soundtrack (1977)

For better or worse, one of the formative movies of my teenage years. It takes several cues from American Grafitti, mainly that the music almost never stops. It launched Rose Royce's career and - while they only had about a 3 year run - they made some fine songs after this album.

"Car Wash"

"I Wanna Get Next To You"

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

The politics forum is not a warm fuzzy place to be that's for sure. I looked back on Redmond's last comments in there, and unless something got deleted, I saw nothing that would warrant a warning let alone a suspension. 

• Thinking 1

I popped my head in the Jets thread the other day, other than that, this is basically it for me on this site for now..  or until the next music draft is created by NV, I'm music 12/7 these days, with 2-3 hrs of tv time to wrap up the day...  been working for me for months...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

humpshuffle:

Hyperballad - Bjork. Seems auspicious that my first shuffle song in a week should be a single-groove number from an artist i like and drafted for my desert island. Empirically. it feels to me that the early establishment of a short-arc groove that wont be varied or played with in any way immediately and completely makes all the added goodness feel like a toupee atop it

My Name is Jonas - Weezer. The pluck v crunch contrasts dont work for me at all here. poorly integrated

Love For Sale - Cannonball Adderly. What a terrible segue - jazz really blends poorly with the body of this mix. One of my favorite tunes, both sexy & lonely, but Miles & Adderly just arent on the same page with the theme, so it dont really work.

Smile, Please - Stevie Wonder. This is the 7th or 8th shuffle i've done and this is the first song on them that i drafted. Funny that it might be the most important song of my life. I was having a cardiac incident and i wanted to sing thru the pain til help was available. couldnt think of a song, so i hit my bedside CD player and this, the 1st song of Fulfillingness, gave me the presence to survive

Room Without A View - the Smithereens. Odd band - sounds both derivative and honest. Like it, tho

Winona - Matthew Sweet Little above the songs every dood who heard i was in the music biz ptiched to me that he wrote in his dormroom. I can do without all of em and intend to.

Bring on the Night - The Police. I've told the story before, The Monkees' Michael Nesmith had a cable music channel before MTV. There was this vid of three gorgeous boys walking up Mulholland @ sunset strumming palm fronds as they sang. It was this, my first exposure to one of my alltime favorite bands. I never saw the video on MTV and it has never been available on youtube.

Badlands - The Boss. First good segue, except Seldom Scene into Weezer, which got blown up fast. As i've also written before, a regular sketch on my radio show was Springsteen as an old man in a nursing home complaining from his wheelchair about food, service, and inattentive family in a geriatric version of his hotrod soap opera voice and it has spoiled me for their variants ever since.

Red Barchetta - Rush. Prog as realized by chipmunks with erections. What's not to love?!

I guess Winona was of its time, in context of the era in which it was published it was just a great voyeuristic type song back in the day, but I guess without that context it may not hold up as well, but for me, it still takes me back to that era and that mood of the times...ymmv

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

Funny, I was actually leaning towards Night by Night and Parker’s Band, but decided to stick with the popular ones since they were always my favorite. So much goodness on this album. 

On this note, what are people’s thoughts on playlist songs. Do y’all prefer lesser known songs on the playlist to the more popular ones? I’ve been building my own playlist with my songs, so I’ve been picking more of the well known songs if those are my favorites (especially if they haven’t been in my listening rotation for a while). Do you prefer to have deeper cuts on the master playlist to hear more new stuff (or things you don’t typically hear on the radio)?

Rd 37

Damaged - Black Flag  (1981)

Hank Rollins is a cuddly lil' sort these days, it's oh so "elder statesman" of him  :wub:

but i remember the freak who came screaming into the Misfits mic during a show down in DC ... the gangly tweaked kid (before the *ahem* muscles kicked in) who replaced Dez on vocals for BF and made them THE premier H.C. act in SoCal, if not the World.  

this is brutal stuff, makes ya wanna go run electrical tape 'round your legs and knock a hippie down - wore this album out at least two/three times, incredible batch of legit angst ridden insanity  ... Rollins was a sick bastid, and this is his hallmark punch to everyone and everything ... right in the mutha trukkin' jaw :boxing:

PS - Greg Ginn smokes the livin' #### outta his axe straight thru.

Six Pack  yes, plz

Depression  Hank wasn't ####in' around 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, PIK95 said:

I want to see how original DI drafter Randall is doing.  I haven't really gone outside this thread in a long time though. 

I think of him often, and seeing your name makes me think of him even more cause of the Rhode Island connection.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

On this note, what are people’s thoughts on playlist songs. Do y’all prefer lesser known songs on the playlist to the more popular ones? I’ve been building my own playlist with my songs, so I’ve been picking more of the well known songs if those are my favorites (especially if they haven’t been in my listening rotation for a while). Do you prefer to have deeper cuts on the master playlist to hear more new stuff (or things you don’t typically hear on the radio)?

peoples favorite songs, can be a hit or not, the more personal the better for me...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

Since many(most) of the artists are new to me I prefer best or one that makes you feel something.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

I guess Winona was of its time, in context of the era in which it was published it was just a great voyeuristic type song back in the day, but I guess without that context it may not hold up as well, but for me, it still takes me back to that era and that mood of the times...ymmv

33 words from a basement jerkwad, no matter how resplendent with genius he may be, should never change anyone's relationship to a song

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

8 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

I've just been picking personal favorites from that particular album.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

peoples favorite songs, can be a hit or not, the more personal the better for me...

5 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

Since many(most) of the artists are new to me I prefer best or one that makes you feel something.

Agree with both of these!

@Eephus ITC

• Like 1

37.20 Manu Chao - Clandestino 

(1998)

This became a huge worldwide album after Manu Chao traveled the world and recorded this during his travels. He sings in French, english, Spanish, I think Portuguese and other languages. This is world music without pandering or feeling watered down. It's also a seamless album with each track seguing into another. I was introduced to Manu's music by a Spanish teacher in frosh or soph yr of college and would like some of this on the island.

Songs:

Bongo Bong

Desaparecido

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

37.20 Manu Chao - Clandestino 

(1998)

This became a huge worldwide album after Manu Chao traveled the world and recorded this during his travels. He sings in French, english, Spanish, I think Portuguese and other languages. This is world music without pandering or feeling watered down. It's also a seamless album with each track seguing into another. I was introduced to Manu's music by a Spanish teacher in frosh or soph yr of college and would like some of this on the island.

Songs:

Bongo Bong

Desaparecido

Great one that I had totally forgotten.  

@Raging weasel ITC

• Thanks 1

• 37.4Wazoo11-ITC-
  • 37.5timschochet-permaskip-
  • 37.6wikkidpissah-Was Not Was-What Up, Dog?
  • 37.7PIK95-The Beach Boys-All Summer Long
  • 37.8Uruk-Hai-The Doobie Brothers-Takin' It To the Streets
  • 37.9Northern Voice-Pet Shop Boys-actually
  • 37.10Steve Tasker-Tasker is permaskip-
  • 37.11El Floppo-10 minute clock-
  • 37.12Abrantes-skip until further notice-
  • 37.13Long Ball Larry-skip until further notice-
  • 37.14Charlie Steiner-Spinal Tap-This Is Spinal Tap
  • 37.15Chaos Commish-permaskip-
  • 37.16The Dreaded Marco-The Glands-The Glands
  • 37.17shuke-skip-
  • 37.18mphtrilogy-Rory Gallagher-Irish Tour 74