What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

From the South Bay to the Valley
From the West Side to the East Side
Everybody's very happy
'Cause the sun is shining all the time
Looks like another perfect day

I love L.A. (we love it)
I love L.A. (we love it)
We love it
Well, that's certainly another perspective.  :lol:  

I was pleasantly surprised to find this still available when I searched for talk

44.18 - Talking Book - Stevie Wonder (1972)

I love the early 70s records where Stevie discovered the brave new world of synthesizers.  There were no rules to break, just sounds and possibilities.

Superstition

I Believe (When I Fall in Love)
Yeah, wondered how it slipped through the cracks too. Almost took it a couple rounds ago, but truth is that I'm mostly just familiar with the big songs, not the album as much.

Wish I'd thought to take Talking Book.  With six Beatles-related records on my island, I could certainly have made room for two of my three favorites from Stevie.  :kicksrock:  

Time for some more 80s goodness. This brings me back to the awkward early high school years, but in a good way somehow. Its got the two mega hits but is solid throughout. Yo Mama selects :

44.22 - The Psychedelic Furs - Mirror Moves (1984)

1 - The Ghost in You

2 - Here Come Cowboys

3 - Heaven

4 - Heartbeat

5 - My Time

6 - Like a Stranger

7 - Alice’s House

8 - Only a Game

9 - Highwire Days

My first stab at a random playlist.

1. Sam Cooke - Having a Party ... 8   This is Sam Cooke's floor.
  2. Chota - Ozomatli ... 6 This can grow on me, but it will take time.  Seems a bit non-descript.
  3. Melissa Ethridge  ... 5   She's sincere, but boring.
  4. Lauryn Hill - Doo *** ... 10   Not gonna sugarcoat this; this is great.  
  5. Green Day - She ... 10 Not a huge Green Day fan, but I love everything about this song.
  6. McLaughlin/DiMeola/DeLuca - Rio Ancho ... 10 My pick
  7. The Ocean Blue - Drifting/Falling ... 4 Not my cup o' tea. No offense.
  8. David Sylvian - Wave ...  2   Don't hate me @El Floppo, I can't say anything nice about this song.
  9. Van Halen - Eruption ... 7   I'm a Van Hater, but this track is pretty good.
  10. Blink 182 - Dammit ...  5   I kinda like this song, barely.
Final Grade:  6.7

Time for some more 80s goodness. This brings me back to the awkward early high school years, but in a good way somehow. Its got the two mega hits but is solid throughout. Yo Mama selects :

Man, I love the Furs' sound. "Heaven" is sublime.

I played this a lot in college. I still catch the Furs live when they play, and they still sound good (except they could turn the volume down a touch).

Also god bless 90s ska for being on the right side of history 

Mans inhumanity towards another man
It's man's insanity and ignorance again
And now the time had come to stop whats going on
The hatreds building up, exploding like a bomb

It's a bomb with a short fuse
And I know it seems like no use
The tensions building a reaction
This is a call to action

S.O.S. we need help 
S.O.S. we need help 
S.O.S. we need help 
S.O.S. we need help

1 - The Ghost in You

2 - Here Come Cowboys

3 - Heaven

4 - Heartbeat

5 - My Time

6 - Like a Stranger

7 - Alice’s House

8 - Only a Game

9 - Highwire Days
I'm glad these songs are in the mix.  I have been staring at this album for about 20 rounds, but in the end it didn't hold up top to bottom when I listened.   Love the 2 songs you chose though.  

43.20 Marcy Playground - Shapeshifter

(1999)

These guys had that one song that was on the radio and mtv for basically a year and that was that. This album doesn't have that big hit. It doesn't have any. It's just a good late 90s album that Wozniak and co released and apparently went way under the radar. But I still spin it and I still dig it so I'm gonna take it here. 

Songs:

Wave Motion Gun

Pigeon Farm

Shuffle songs

Bodysnatchers - Radiohead - I am not sure what to think of it. I couldn't understand the words much. I guess it was the distortion. I was exhausted when it was over. I think it tried to bodysnatch me.

Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales - Car seat headrest - I like it 

50ft Queenie - PJ Harvey - Noise

Honey Don't Think - Grant Lee Buffalo - Good song

Pressure Drop - Toots & The Maytals - Nice touch of reggae

I'm Tore Down - Freddie King - rockin' blues

Preta Pretinha - Novos Baianos - Pleasing to the ears. Like the guitars.

Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters - Good rockin' song

Shuffle songs

Bodysnatchers - Radiohead - I am not sure what to think of it. I couldn't understand the words much. I guess it was the distortion. I was exhausted when it was over. I think it tried to bodysnatch me.

Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales - Car seat headrest - I like it 

50ft Queenie - PJ Harvey - Noise

Honey Don't Think - Grant Lee Buffalo - Good song

Pressure Drop - Toots & The Maytals - Nice touch of reggae

I'm Tore Down - Freddie King - rockin' blues

Preta Pretinha - Novos Baianos - Pleasing to the ears. Like the guitars.

Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters - Good rockin' song
That's a top shelf shuffle

Like somebody else posted, we are at the point were I am willing to overlook a down song or two to get some epic ones in there.  So....

Let there be sound
There was sound
Let there be light
There was light
Let there be drums
There was drums
Let there be guitar
There was guitar
Oh, Let there be rock

44.40:  AC/DC - LET THERE BE ROCK (1977)

Let There Be Rock

Hell Ain't A Bad Place to Be

PICK 44.20

ALICE COOPER - BILLION DOLLAR BABIES (1972)

Songs

- No More Mr. Nice Guy

- I Want To Be Elected

I want to be elected - This is premium satire that holds as true today as it was then ('72)  ...I would vote Alice over the two candidates we have today.  

Sorry this is such straight up rock and roll, I'll try and find some traditional Peruvian jaw harp that was the basis of a one-time Peoples Temple fund-raiser by Hot Tuna that was only released as an EP.  

Last edited by a moderator:
PICK 44.20

ALICE COOPER - BILLION DOLLAR BABIES (1972)

Songs

- No More Mr. Nice Guy

- I Want To Be Elected

I want to be elected - This is premium satire that holds as true today as it was then ('72)  ...I would vote Alice over the two candidates we have today.  

Sorry this is such straight up rock and roll, I'll try and find some traditional Peruvian jaw harp that was the basis of a one-time Peoples Temple fund-raiser by Hot Tuna that was only released as an EP.  
That's so Round 6,

30.30... Simple Minds- New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) (1982)

Big Sleep

New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)

they had a nice run before and immediately after this, netting them some global success with their single and album following breakfast club (hated the album, and their tour to support it). it somehow avoided my attention that this was a christian anthemic album... in spite of the song titles and a giant cross on the cover. so I'm covered on my island just in case.
:lol:  I just decided I was taking this next and was going to comment on never having seen them drafted here and how underrated they are... oops.   Not sure if the album you're referencing hating is OUAT... but I may now draft it instead..

44.21 Sasha & Digweed - Northern Exposure (UK import)

(1996)

I'm going to assume we can treat this like a soundtrack since it's not really orginak works by the DJs who mixed these sets. Also want to be clear that it's the import version that has 2 discs rather than just the first disc (which is admittedly the better). This harkens back to days of taking trips downtown to the Virgin megastore to pick up and discover some high-priced electronic imports. And then in college going clubbing on the weekend to this stuff. This album is pretty much royalty in the electronic dance scene. It's smooth, the album transitions from song to song are seamless, and the buildup from ambient to dance is done so well. It's class. Disc one (North) has had far more plays and is well suited for sunrises, long drives, rainy days, or pre/post dance. Disc 2 (South) is the more traditional dance that I'd probably dance to in bare feet on the sand under the full moon on the island. I'll post songs even though each disc on this album is better enjoyed from front to back, uninterrupted. 

Songs: 

Keiichi Suzuki - Satellite Serenade

Underworld - Dark & Long

44.21 Sasha & Digweed - Northern Exposure (UK import)

(1996)

I'm going to assume we can treat this like a soundtrack since it's not really orginak works by the DJs who mixed these sets. Also want to be clear that it's the import version that has 2 discs rather than just the first disc (which is admittedly the better). This harkens back to days of taking trips downtown to the Virgin megastore to pick up and discover some high-priced electronic imports.
My entire trance library is three Global Underground CDs I bought at Virgin Megastore.  It used to be a cool place to hang out.

Almost Forgot...

44.34 Marshall Crenshaw - Marshall Crenshaw 1982

I love this record and I would have been crushed someone beat me to it.

Songs are...

Someday, Someway

He did it on Letterman in 82 here

Cynical Girl
Man, "Someday, Someway" is such a great song.  I just never really listened to more from him but should.

Anybody shufflin' tonight?
I've been listening to nothing but my 45th rounder for a few hours.  Did a lot of shuffling earlier, though.  Most notable in a good way was "Does Your ##### Do the Dog" by The Cramps.  Other than that, it was mostly stuff I already knew or wish I hadn't heard.  And some Paul Simon, because there's always Paul Simon.

I guess you are right but I remember listening to it many days ago and thinking about taking it at some point and then I thought it got drafted.

:shrug:
I think we may have all fooled ourselves by seeing Tim post about it in his 1971 thread. I absolutely thought about taking it the other day.   :shrug:  

Users who are viewing this thread