What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

I see these reaction videos a lot.  Do you think these guys have never actually heard these songs before?
Re: lost in Vegas guys. Sometimes they have and they will admit when they have. But I think a lot of time they genuinely have never heard them. Re: many,many other reaction vids on YouTube, I think a lot of it is shtick and it's not first listen. 

Re: lost in Vegas guys. Sometimes they have and they will admit when they have. But I think a lot of time they genuinely have never heard them. Re: many,many other reaction vids on YouTube, I think a lot of it is shtick and it's not first listen. 
I have seen those, and can remember that one of said they have heard it and the other haven't (I think one was an Opeth song).  

I don't watch other "reaction" videos, I just like these guys.  

My favorite lost in Vegas episode is black cow by the dan. Late 90s rap song sampled it and as soon as they hear the opening to black cow it Dawn's on them that they know the song in an offhand way and proceed to lose their minds for the next 10 minutes

I don't understand reaction videos at all and get off of my lawn.
For me and those guys it's simple.   They talk about something I have a passion for with a lot of respect and excitement.    Again, I can't speak for other "reaction" videos.  

You know, similar to why I frequent these music and movie threads in the FFA.   

You're RA right?
Whoa, whoa. No need for a life story. Just know and crack up about Anchower and like Marcy Playground. Would he?

I thought this was a rockaction alias, but he would have spelled "doppelganger" correctly.  Torn.
Go with your gut. According to the red lines in this here quote box, you're spelling it wrong. You're not. Just needs umlauts. Which may itself need umlauts. It's pretty immolating, this whole thing. 

Name's Connie, by the way. "Fluttershy" Frances Constance Encumbrance. Connie Encomium. Or Connie Economy. Whichever. I'm obliged to both. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa, whoa. No need for a life story. Just know and crack up about Anchower and like Marcy Playground. Would he?

Go with your gut. According to the red lines in this here quote box, you're spelling it wrong. You're not. Just needs umlauts. Which may itself need umlauts. It's pretty immolating, this whole thing. 

Name's Connie, by the way. "Fluttershy" Frances Constance Encumbrane. Connie Encomium. 
OK, definitely RA.  The reason I didn't use umlauts was because I didn't want to highlight them in a way that would make people think it was the absence of umlauts that was the mis-spelling, but would instead see that it was the transposed "e" and "l."  Yes, I did think about it.  :lol:

Name's Connie, by the way. "Fluttershy" Frances Constance Encumbrane. Connie Encomium. 
lol @ your location :lmao:  

what's a reaction video? 
Someone reacts to a song on youtube.  Preferrable as they hear it for the first time.  
thanks - yeah, they've been around quite a while - but seems like they are getting a lot more popular

I thought at first the idea was that us oldies people were supposed to see how the youngster couldn't believe how good the music was back then - thinking we were always this crotchety with such bad musical tastes

thanks - yeah, they've been around quite a while - but seems like they are getting a lot more popular

I thought at first the idea was that us oldies people were supposed to see how the youngster couldn't believe how good the music was back then - thinking we were always this crotchety with such bad musical tastes
We should do these with KP and the Beatles.

Little Paradise - Pat Benatar  - Like this a lot. Never listened to her beyond a greatest hits context.

Games Without Frontiers - Peter Gabriel  - This is pretty great. The same song bounces through three or four unique styles.

Everywhere - Fleetwood Mac -  Just pure pure Fleetwood pop. 

Hands All Over - Soundgarden  - Cornell is actually my least favourite thing about this track, which is rare.

That's Not My Real Life - Cherry Glazerr - Big fan of this album.

Ok, time for a pick before I pass out. Listen to these guys alot, love their grungy, melodic metal sound and this is their best overall album.

Corrosion of Conformity- Deliverence (1994)

Albatross

Seven Days 

- added to playlist

Good Times - Aretha Franklin  - Get in the groove and let the good times roll :thumbup:

Annan Water - The Decemberists - I could tell from the first note I would love this song. Turns out it's a band/album/song I already love, just took a few seconds.

Soul Sacrifice - Santana  -This isn't going to be seven minutes of Santana playing the same thing over and over with like 4 words, is it? Yes, I think it is. Nice bongos and organ (that's what she said) though.

Carry On - CSNY - This whole album is pretty great. This song is great, would be excellent with more Neil Young.

Ok, time for a pick before I pass out. Listen to these guys alot, love their grungy, melodic metal sound and this is their best overall album.

Corrosion of Conformity- Deliverence (1994)

Albatross

Seven Days 

- added to playlist
I had to check that “Albatross” wasn’t a Fleetwood Mac cover. Yeah, no.

It's a song of thanks sung by a hack. When
The reflection of yourself just won't look
Back. It's that panic you feel when you don't
Know what to say when everyone wants in
And you want the subject to change. Because
I've been swallowed up and I've been split in
Two and I'm not sure which is me and who I
Respond through.

So notify my next of kin
And let them know there's so much more
To believe in. It doesn't have to be based
On blood because the next in line shouldn't
Have to know what they're made of.

This is survived by who held me up.
This is survived by who sang the song.
And that sense of purpose has made it all worth it.

So write a song that everyone can sing along to
So when you're gone you can live on, they won't forget you.

This is survived by a love.
This is survived by a cause -- that you aren't the only one who remembers what it was.
This is survived by a wish -- that you won't let down who has attached themselves to it
This is survived by a fear -- that all that's left when said and done is words you will never ever hear.

Pretty much the only time I ever won anything was in 1979. We were on vacation in Virginia at my uncle's house and I was the whatever # caller to the local radio station and won 3 albums. I chose 1) Kiss- Dynasty  2) Supertramp- Breakfast in America 3) Cheap Trick- Live at Budakan.  My redneck cousins had only heard of Kiss at the time- I was 12.

Pretty much the only time I ever won anything was in 1979. We were on vacation in Virginia at my uncle's house and I was the whatever # caller to the local radio station and won 3 albums. I chose 1) Kiss- Dynasty  2) Supertramp- Breakfast in America 3) Cheap Trick- Live at Budakan.  My redneck cousins had only heard of Kiss at the time- I was 12.
When I was a kid, I won a stereo (with cassette player!) from Rockline magazine in a trivia contest about the group Styx.  Sorry for spotlighting.

ETA:  I think it was in conjunction with the record Paradise Theatre so just a couple of years after your big win.

The Rural Alberta Advantage - Terrified I appreciate that the lead singer clears up any potential confusion by shouting the name of the song right away. I have a thing for songs that have a high-pitched ooooh ooooh in the background. Other than that the feels like a period piece. I don't know when it came out but I would guess confidently it would be the late aughts to teens. Good song. Cool band name 7.217/10

Widespread Panic - Love Tractor Cool, a song about the power forward for the late 90s Michigan bball team, Robert Traylor. Sounds like it might be a live recording too. If the year 2020 had a book title it might be this band name sooooo bonus points for that? This thing kinda jams though. Does that annoying thing when a band doesn't know how to end a live song so they break it down like, well like this. 7.79repeating/10

Tom Waits - Christmas Song From a Hooker in Minneapolis oh #### I don't get this guy. Had a friend in college who loved him. Kermit the frog smoked a couple packs a day, boozed, and made a sappy sounding song with an edgy title. I appreciate the musicians he influenced and the amount of people who dig him. Something below 3/10. 

Spotify Gremlins or something because it just tried playing the same Tom Waits song like four more times wtf

July Talk - the Garden dude. Is this guy Tom wait's protege? Ok, theres a female singer. Oh crap, it's the tom Waits sounding guy again. Songs over. 5.4365/10

Bad Company - Ready for love I know this one. Classic. Classic rock. Good one. 7.85/10

When I was a kid, I won a stereo (with cassette player!) from Rockline magazine in a trivia contest about the group Styx.  Sorry for spotlighting.
uh ...you can't stop there.

so what are some examples of the questions?  

were they easy just  3 - 4 and then you won in a drawing with everyone who knew that Tommy Shaw was only 5"4" (claims 5'6") has a 25' waist (as seen on his Levi's tag)

The Rural Alberta Advantage - Terrified I appreciate that the lead singer clears up any potential confusion by shouting the name of the song right away.
:lmao:   :lmao:   I also love your scoring system.

uh ...you can't stop there.

so what are some examples of the questions?  

were they easy just  3 - 4 and then you won in a drawing with everyone who knew that Tommy Shaw was only 5"4" (claims 5'6") has a 25' waist (as seen on his Levi's tag)
Geez, it was ages ago.  I think they were pretty easy, and I just won in a drawing from all the correct answerers.  I do remember seeing my name in lights in the magazine and finding out I'd won that way.  Then the stereo arrived a few weeks later.  No Amazon then.

I was super-obsessed up with Styx up through about 8th grade.  I had a friend who was equally obsessed with Journey (the Steve Perry version, with apologies to whoever it is that hates him - PIK?), so we'd argue over who was better.  Turned out actually we were both wrong.

Tom Waits - Christmas Song From a Hooker in Minneapolis oh #### I don't get this guy. Had a friend in college who loved him. Kermit the frog smoked a couple packs a day, boozed, and made a sappy sounding song with an edgy title. I appreciate the musicians he influenced and the amount of people who dig him. Something below 3/10. 
:lmao:

That's the 2nd Muppets reference now.  

Slow here.  I'm firing up the mix again after four hours of previewing my Round 45er.

First song is my favorite Elliott Smith song, "Waltz #2," though it's not from the album I took.  Thanks to the drafter on this one.

REMINDER THAT HE WAS MURDERED BY HIS GIRLFRIEND.

:lmao:   :lmao:   I also love your scoring system.

Geez, it was ages ago.  I think they were pretty easy, and I just won in a drawing from all the correct answerers.  I do remember seeing my name in lights in the magazine and finding out I'd won that way.  Then the stereo arrived a few weeks later.  No Amazon then.

I was super-obsessed up with Styx up through about 8th grade.  I had a friend who was equally obsessed with Journey (the Steve Perry version, with apologies to whoever it is that hates him - PIK?), so we'd argue over who was better.  Turned out actually we were both wrong.
There was a time my friends and I were Styx fans - after their hit, "Lady" they were big on tour circuit and then really hit it big with the "Grand Illusion" album.  Definition of arena rock.

There was a time my friends and I were Styx fans - after their hit, "Lady" they were big on tour circuit and then really hit it big with the "Grand Illusion" album.  Definition of arena rock.
I actually still think that earlier stuff is pretty good.  "Grand Illusion" is the best of the lot, I think.

Playlist update:  this "Olivia Tremor Control" started out so good, and I already put it on my "look into more" list, and then it...changed...and I realized I had four more minutes thereafter, so now I'm worried.

ETA:  Still good.  Definitely want to listen to more of this band!

Epic run of songs while playing euchre online. No comments because I was playing cards but these were all so good and not all immediately familiar (the bands obviously are). 

DAIZY GLAZE - BIG STAR

FOUNTAIN OF SORROW - JACKSON BROWNE

SKEW IT ON THE BAR-B - OUTKAST

WILD WEST HERO - ELO

then came a good Led Zeppelin song that I preferred all of the above to.

Users who are viewing this thread