What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

One Armed Scissor - At the Drive in 6.0

This sounds like Our Lady Peace, meets Rage, meets Audio Slave, meets Korn, covering System of the Down.  Congratulations on being completely unoriginal.  
They predate some of the bands mentioned. They formed in 94.

One Armed Scissor - At the Drive in 6.0

This sounds like Our Lady Peace, meets Rage, meets Audio Slave, meets Korn, covering System of the Down.  Congratulations on being completely unoriginal.  
They predate some of the bands mentioned. They formed in 94.
His point stands, it just applies to all the ####ty bands he mentioned, not At The Drive-In. 

My brother in law and his family are still rocking this playlist during their strict quarantine in India, btw.  He's been very appreciative of our efforts here.  His 14 year old son particularly enjoyed #### You Gently by Tenacious D.... :lmao:  

He has asked us to keep it up as long as we can.  I had to break the news that we only have about 200 albums and 400 songs to go.  

My brother in law and his family are still rocking this playlist during their strict quarantine in India, btw.  He's been very appreciative of our efforts here.  His 14 year old son particularly enjoyed #### You Gently by Tenacious D.... :lmao:  

He has asked us to keep it up as long as we can.  I had to break the news that we only have about 200 albums and 400 songs to go.  
Speak for yourself, I'm going to sixty.

Playing it this afternoon for my mom and the in-laws at our outdoor distancing BBQ. Will report back. 

Here is my mix I was hit with this am.  interesting mix of stuff that I hadn't come across before.  

SUZANNE VEGA - UNBOUND    pretty good song, and decent way to kick off the mix.

THE LA'S - THERE SHE GOES    another decent familiar song, but it drove me crazy because I know it's one of those stupid movie ones that I usually have - something like Dumb and Dumber it was in.  

CHARLIE RICH - WILL THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN   not my thing, but it does remind me of my parents and their music, so that was alright.  

MARVIN GAYE - INNER CITY BLUES  I just know the main hits.  This was a pleasant change as all I know is the cliché get in your knickers hits.   

THE BESNARD LAKES - LIKE THE OCEAN, LIKE THE INNOCENT:  PART 2   this was one of the new ones that really grew on me.  ended up really liking it and adding it to the newly formed research list

PAT BENATAR - WUTHERING HEIGHTS   meh.  it was ok I guess, but for sure was surprised that it was a Benatar song.  

JEDI MIND TRICKS - EXERTIONS REMIX   this I didn't see picked.   I know a little bit of JMT through these drafts, but not this one.  good stuff

VITAL SIGNS - THE BOYS & GIRLS ARE DOIN' IT   :lmao:   a cheesy blast from the past.  I had both these soundtracks and played the #### out of them - mostly the Extreme song on this one.  

HISS GOLDEN MESSENGER - JENNY OF THE ROSES   not bad

JIM JAMES - HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT   Ok, now this was a nice find - never heard of this before and added it, but made a note not to stare at the album cover high.  

LAKE STREET DIVE - GOOD KISSER  -   THIS was the surprise of the bunch.  I thought I was really in trouble in the first 20secs, but ended up loving it.  nice mix of styles in here and loved the voice.  

MGMT - TIME TO PRETEND  been here, done that - love the song.  

OASIS - SHAKERMAKER    I don't dislike Oasis, but by the time the 100th "shake along with me" hits, I am about ready to punch something.  

JUDAS PRIEST - BEYOND THE REALMS OF DEATH    Hell yeah, another band that I know too little from besides a couple albums and songs.   Never heard this before and loved it.  

SUN KIL MOON - CARRY ME OHIO   one of my picks, and a great way to cleanse the horrible Liam Gallagher repetitive singing from the palate.  

The grass is cut. Put on some 2009 Disco Biscuits to recover from "the Playlist"

Allen is putting on a drum clinic as always.

My guy is..."DrFameus is an electronic music project created by the versatile drummer, Allen Aucoin. Allen explores many realms with DrFameus ranging from breakbeats to drum 'n' bass to dubstep to techno/house. It is his ability to survey the crowd and then improvise that has allowed Aucoin to play in such diverse projects over the years.

Allen began his musical career not onstage, but instead in education and composition. This included instructing and writing for award winning percussion ensembles and teaching drum lessons. While attending Berklee College of Music in Boston Massachusetts Allen was given the nickname DrFameus and it has stuck ever since. Like so many of us, college was not exactly a punctual time for Allen. He became known as the guy that was famously late all the time; so much that a friend gave him the honorary doctorate, DrFameus.

After moving back to the southeast from Boston, Allen continued to work as a teacher and percussion instructor while touring with the band “Skydog Gyspy." In 2005 Aucoin acquired his current role as the drummer for Philadelphia electronic act, the Disco Biscuits. Since winning the “drum off” held by the Biscuits in Atlantic City, Allen has played 450-500 shows with the quartet including shows at the Gorge Amphitheatre and Red Rocks Amphitheatre.

Keep an eye out for live shows and studio work from Drfameus!"

Playing it this afternoon for my mom and the in-laws at our outdoor distancing BBQ. Will report back. 
Highway to Hell - mother in law doesn't like the lyrics

Watching the Wheels - big hit with this crowd

Mazzy Star - the big hit - no reaction. 

Coltrane - skipped by unanimous consent. 

Bad Brains - wrong target audience

Dylan I Want You - back on track here

Well, here's an overlooked gem.  Expecting to take their 1990 album, I noticed this stellar recording was still available.

Are there better Replacements albums? Probably, or maybe, or maybe not?

44.04:  Pleased to Met Me, The Replacements   1987

One of my tougher whittles, this album.  Let's go with ...

Valentine

Alex Chilton   Spotlight dimmed.

ETA: Can't Hardly Wait (Alternate Version)

Last edited by a moderator:
46.xx  Beck - Mellow Gold (1994)

I was going to go with another album tonight but then Beck's "Nobody's Fault But My Own" came up on a shuffle and I lamented that I hadn't drafted anything from him. I then remembered my multiple misses on albums I thought had been drafted but hadn't so I checked----I was shocked and pleasantly surprised that this has not been taken yet.  One of his best.  Tough to decide which 2 songs to add--all are favorites in their own way. Loser is great but ubiquitous.  So I'm going with these two. 

Pay No Mind (Snoozer)

Blackhole

46.xx  Beck - Mellow Gold (1994)

I was going to go with another album tonight but then Beck's "Nobody's Fault But My Own" came up on a shuffle and I lamented that I hadn't drafted anything from him. I then remembered my multiple misses on albums I thought had been drafted but hadn't so I checked----I was shocked and pleasantly surprised that this has not been taken yet.  One of his best.  Tough to decide which 2 songs to add--all are favorites in their own way. Loser is great but ubiquitous.  So I'm going with these two. 

Pay No Mind (Snoozer)

Blackhole
And this is the other album that features a song on the dreaded repeating song tape.  One side was Undone, the other was Loser.  

45.23 - Hotter Than July - Stevie Wonder (1980)

I've never doubled up in the many many drafts I've participated in on this board but picking Talking Book last night got me thinking of back to back Stevie.

Hotter Than July came out when I was in college so it's the Wonder record with the greatest personal connection.  It's definitely  Stevie's best record of the 80s and possibly his last great album.

Master Blaster (Jammin')

I Ain't Gonna Stand For It

I've never doubled up in the many many drafts I've participated in on this board but picking Talking Book last night got me thinking of ack to back Stevie.

Hotter Than July came out when I was in college so it's the Wonder record with the most personal connection for me.  It's definitely  Stevie's best record of the 80s and possibly his last great album.

Master Blaster (Jammin')

Best album with a month in the title?

Hotter than July

Hot August Nights.

Whatcha got?

I've never doubled up in the many many drafts I've participated in on this board but picking Talking Book last night got me thinking of ack to back Stevie.

Hotter Than July came out when I was in college so it's the Wonder record with the most personal connection for me.  It's definitely  Stevie's best record of the 80s and possibly his last great album.

Master Blaster (Jammin')

Seems he had the same trajectory as Van Morrison.

Did you dislike it from the beginning or are you just tired of hearing it? I remember loving it the first time (still do).

And the other 11 songs on the album are somewhat similarly different and, IMO, pretty great.
No, not all, and I am mostly joking as I can still listen to it - I mean, it's been 25+ years.   It was more after about 1 month of that guy not getting tired of those 2 songs that I hit my wall.  It did take me a good decade or so before I wouldn't skip over them though.   

In retrospect he might have done it on purpose just to keep us out of his room and constantly asking to play Doom.  

46.21 EOB - Earth 

(2020!)

Might seem like a prisoner of the moment here, but this album is really good. It's one that my entire family has gravitated to and bonded over, and it's one with a diverse enough sound that I'm confident won't grow stale quickly. I was set to go in another direction but played this again today and it just hits the spot lately. Produced by Flood (who has produced I think most of the pumpkins records, some Nick cave, and others), it's a journey through folk/electronic/ambient/call back to U2. Lyrically it's not the most complex album out there, but it's fine. Plus I want to put a couple tracks on the old shuffle machine. 

Songs:

Brasil

Shangri-La

Users who are viewing this thread