Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

11 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Going same genre on this back-to-back.

Round 42 - Death Cab For Cutie, Plans (2005)

I waffled which ones to pick first because I have a tendency to consider irrelevant minutia like that, but then I realized how much easier the song selections were for this one.

I Will Follow You Into The Dark

Crooked Teeth

Need to listen to these guys more.

• Like 1

Told myself that I wasn't going to double up, but I also said that if I were grabbing 50 albums for real, it would probably just be mostly 10 bands and loading up on their albums, so what the hell.   I am slowly warming up to this album, especially the 2nd half, but it has on it what is becoming of my favorites of RH in Codex, so at least I will have that on my island.  

46.40:  RADIOHEAD - KING OF LIMBS (2011)

Codex

Lotus Flower

• Like 3
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Ah, #### it - I missed out on 2 and 3, so I will take the chance that this will hold up.  I've already been through it about 5 times, so nothing else I assume I will still like it as much as the others. 

45.01:   RUN THE JEWELS - RTJ4 (2020)

Walking in the Snow

goonies vs. E.T.

The last minute and a half of Goonies vs et is insane

Also, Bloom is one of my fav Radiohead songs of all time, but I've had a hard time getting really into the king of limbs

Edited by Buffaloes

46.29 American Football, American Football [LP1] (1999)

Never Meant
Honestly?

Another meta pick with American Football here at FBG.

No idea if this is on anyone's radar, 'cause I can't remember seeing it taken in previous drafts here. Maybe familiarity through one of Mike Kinsella's other bands (Cap'n Jazz, Joan of Arc)? Discovered it a while back through a similar "best '90s albums" music exercise on a (*gasp*) different board, and was caught completely off-guard, 'cause I'd never heard of them, but their sound was extremely my ####.

Here's a band that gives me hope that the Wrens might someday still release their follow-up to The Meadowlands, 'cause their follow-up to this one would only come 17 ####### years later. Come to think of it, this makes for a really interesting thematic pairing with The Meadowlands. Maybe the Wrens are just pulling a long-con American Football cosplay with their delay. 

They're classified as emo due to their lyrics (which are wonderful), but they don't sound much like the stereotypical emo band at all, as far as their instrumentation, going for a more stripped-down sound with lovely guitar work, and it works wonderfully for me.

PS. Amazing "Never Meant" mashup. Girl Talk could never

PPS. @Northern Voice Here's Hayley with a guest part on the second single from their third album, released last year. (Spotlighting ain't a thing this deep in the draft, screw it.)

Edited by Abrantes
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

The last minute and a half of Goonies vs et is insane

Also, Bloom is one of my fav Radiohead songs of all time, but I've had a hard time getting really into the king of limbs

Bloom is one I still struggle with.  Maybe a little too much like the Amnesiac songs I don't like?  I really dig the 2 I took and Separator plus a couple others.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Ah, #### it - I missed out on 2 and 3, so I will take the chance that this will hold up.  I've already been through it about 5 times, so nothing else I assume I will still like it as much as the others. 

Walking in the Snow

goonies vs. E.T.

I had a feeling you were gonna do that.  I was gonna take it at fifty.  I like it.

6 hours ago, Hov34 said:
9 hours ago, krista4 said:

Spreadsheet updated to here.  I removed The Big Chill and Forrest Gump soundtracks, too. 

I'm out for the day!

So there are rules now???

I assume all the other "Various Artists" Soundtracks are gone too?

It's amazing how I just say I've updated the spreadsheet to what NV the draft initiator and arbiter says to do, and then I get attacked with questions.  :lmao:  I don't GAF!

4 minutes ago, krista4 said:
6 hours ago, Hov34 said:
9 hours ago, krista4 said:

Spreadsheet updated to here.  I removed The Big Chill and Forrest Gump soundtracks, too. 

I'm out for the day!

So there are rules now???

I assume all the other "Various Artists" Soundtracks are gone too?

It's amazing how I just say I've updated the spreadsheet to what NV the draft initiator and arbiter says to do, and then I get attacked with questions.  :lmao:  I don't GAF!

No worries, sorry - didn't mean to point that at you really.  I tried to cheat and got caught. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Lol.  I almost took it the day it dropped, but I figured I should at least give it a handful of listens first.  

I'm giving it a first listen right now. It's a lot more cohesive than previous efforts. It might be a better album than their previous three. A Dilla sample of "Lightworks" in the background of "out of sight" is killer. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

46.xx  Beck - Mellow Gold (1994)

I was going to go with another album tonight but then Beck's "Nobody's Fault But My Own" came up on a shuffle and I lamented that I hadn't drafted anything from him. I then remembered my multiple misses on albums I thought had been drafted but hadn't so I checked----I was shocked and pleasantly surprised that this has not been taken yet.  One of his best.  Tough to decide which 2 songs to add--all are favorites in their own way. Loser is great but ubiquitous.  So I'm going with these two. 

Pay No Mind (Snoozer)

Blackhole

I had a Beck song come up on the shuffle yesterday and was reminded that some of his stuff really is good.  These songs included.

• Like 1

Let me attempt to draft a Jazz album. Actually, it's where jazz meets the blues, with a hop.

46.04 - Cleanhead's Back in Town, Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson

Kidney Stew

It Ain't Necessarily So

There's no way of getting around a compilation here.  No idea what year to specify.  The album drafted was released in 2000, but the songs go way back.

• Like 3

I just got home from spending the day with my mom and stepfather.  All was well until a bit ago when my mom tripped and fell, hitting her head on the concrete.  I had already called 911 when I didn't think it was so bad, but then got to her and found that she was bleeding profusely from her head.  I guess that heads bleed a lot, but holy hell, until you've held your mom's head as you pack towel after towel in it soaking up the blood...

I was calm at the time and doing what I needed to do until EMTs came.  They took care of it all and deemed her fit after she refused to go to the hospital, but now that I'm home I'm a bit of a wreck.  She said by text now that her head hurts and she's woozy.  Hopefully my stepfather is watching out.

####.

• Sad 21

3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I just got home from spending the day with my mom and stepfather.  All was well until a bit ago when my mom tripped and fell, hitting her head on the concrete.  I had already called 911 when I didn't think it was so bad, but then got to her and found that she was bleeding profusely from her head.  I guess that heads bleed a lot, but holy hell, until you've held your mom's head as you pack towel after towel in it soaking up the blood...

I was calm at the time and doing what I needed to do until EMTs came.  They took care of it all and deemed her fit after she refused to go to the hospital, but now that I'm home I'm a bit of a wreck.  She said by text now that her head hurts and she's woozy.  Hopefully my stepfather is watching out.

####.

Damn!  Thoughts and well wishes.

• Thanks 1

Time for some pure synthpop on the island (Depeche Mode needs some company). This came out in parallel with their Circus album, but this was much better and more complete. I don’t know anyone who liked Erasure that had the main album - everyone had this version. I listened to the regular Circus this morning and didn’t even recognize some of the songs since I was used to all the remix versions. This has remixes of the Circus releases, plus a few orchestral versions and a bunch of bonus live tracks. Also, this will be my way to sneak some ABBA on the island. Yo Mama selects:

46.22 - Erasure - The Two Ring Circus (1987)

1 - Sometimes

2 - It Doesn’t Have to Be

3 - Victim of Love 🥰

4 - Leave Me to Bleed

5 - Hideaway

6 - Don’t Dance

7 - The Circus

8 - If I Could (orchestral)

9 - Spiraling (orchestral)

10 - My Heart. . . So Blue (orchestral) 🥰

11 - Victim of Love (live)

12 - Spiraling (live)

13 - Sometimes (live)

14 - Oh l’amour (live) 🥰

15 - Who Needs Love Like That (live) 🥰

16 - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (live) :headbang:

So much 80s goodness packed in this album (including one of my favorite 80s songs in Sometimes), I probably would have taken it earlier if I remembered it sooner. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Eephus said:
1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

would you like me to select a new album?

It's a shame Bete Noire isn't on Spotify. It's one of my favorite Ferry albums; Johnny Marr plays on it. 

sigh.  

The Bryan Ferry selection is lean ...like really lean.

My first preference would be "Taxi" - don't believe it's ever been on there.  Drafted Bete Noire ...and at least one song from the album is there ...except it's off a special album that is either ragtime or closer to ragtime than I would ever want to hear. 

REPLACEMENT PICK 45.21 

BRYAN FERRY - BOYS AND GIRLS (1985)

Love this album ...but come on, it's my third pick - just trying to get 1 DAMN BRYAN FERRY ALBUM!!!!

Pretty sure this is one of them without Bill Callahan on it. 

Songs

- Slave To Love 

- Don't Stop The Dance

Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, krista4 said:

####.

Very sorry to hear, krista. Best to you and your mom. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, krista4 said:

####.

That's scary, krista. I'm sorry. Like Zamboni said, best to your and your Mom.  

• Thanks 1

Speaking of RTJ, when I picked #2 I had been drinking (shocker) and thought it would be funny to link to Meow the Jewels songs in my write up to see if anyone actually clicked on the links. I was too lazy to actually do it, but I still laughed at my own inside joke. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, krista4 said:

####.

Scary stuff.  Please tell your stepdad that he should be checking on her every hour over night.

Edited by shuke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44.24 Fairport Convetion - Liege and Lief (1969)

Tracklist
1    Come All Ye   
2    Reynardine   
3    Matty Groves  
4    Farewell, Farewell   
5    The Deserter
6    Medley: The Lark In The Morning, Rakish Paddy, Foxhunter's Jigs, Toss The Feathers
7    Tam Lin    
8    Crazy Man Michael

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just went on my Facebook.  There is a war over a local doughnut shop that discontinued police and military getting free doughnuts. One hundred and fifty five responses to my buddy's post in like six hours. Lotta hate. It's getting real now.   Oof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Walking in the Snow

goonies vs. E.T.

Ok finally getting around to listening to this for the first time since I’ve either been listening to albums for the draft or to the master playlist. This is fire - great song choices too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

45.17 Modest Mouse - We Were Dead (2007)

Tracklist:
March Into The Sea  
Dashboard   
Fire It Up    
Florida    
Parting Of The Sensory   
Missed The Boat   
We've Got Everything    
Fly Trapped In A Jar  
Education    
Little Motel 
Steam Engenius    
Spitting Venom    
People As Places As People 
Invisible

Edited by shuke
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

46.24 Marshall Tucker Band - Where We All Belong (1974)

This one is a double album, studio and live!

Studio Album
A1    This Ol' Cowboy
A2    Low Down Ways   
A3    In My Own Way  
B1    How Can I Slow Down   
B2    Where A Country Boy Belongs    
B3    Now She's Gone    
B4    Try One More Time    
Live Album
C1    Ramblin'  
C2    24 Hours At A Time    
D1    Everyday (I Have The Blues)   
D2    Take The Highway

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

36 minutes ago, krista4 said:

####.

I'm sorry that happened. I hope she is ok, krista. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PIK95 said:

I just went on my Facebook.  There is a war over a local doughnut shop that discontinued police and military getting free doughnuts. One hundred and fifty five responses to my buddy's post in like six hours. Lotta hate. It's getting real now.   Oof.

Why did they discontinue it?

17 minutes ago, simey said:

I'm sorry that happened. I hope she is ok, krista. 

Thanks to you and everyone who posted.  I'm getting in touch every hour but now wish I'd stayed there (they live ~1 hour from me).  With everything else going on, I think this is especially wrecking me.

• Sad 1