What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (1 Viewer)

I think I mentioned way back before I shoehorned myself into this draft that this thread came at the right time. When I started working from home due to the covid I decided to listen to at least one new to me album per day. Most of the time it was more than one. Some of the time it was the same one multiple times. This was right around when the strokes, EOB, and another massive artist (massive in terms of music, actually pretty diminutive irl). And right around the time I saw this thread. So good timing and thanks again to all. I made a chart in my office of new albums. Anyway, I decided to keep trying to listen to a new album every day since I've returned to work. Some good, some amazing, and some bad.

But there is one that was so incredibly and consistently awful from front to back I had to make my wife hear it. My friend suggested it in a non shticky way telling me this was a new release. The sheer will it took to listen to it cover to cover was something. Here's a super awesome music video just to give a sample.

Soundgarden - Down On the Upside (1996) drafted by @Buffaloes at 31.20

I made it as far as track #11 Tighter and Tighter before my headphones died.  I was almost home at that point so it's not a huge difference either way.  As mentioned previously, I'm not familiar with this album and didn't recognize any of the songs immediately.  Stylistically, it was all over the map and featured more varied tempos and textures than I recalled from their early records.  It seemed like they were trying lots of different things to follow up after their hit.  Most things worked but it worked against cohesiveness.

I liked the slow burning opener Pretty Noose.  Didn't they used to have an Asian bassist?  As a kid, I was always happy to see my Asian brothers represented in Rock bands.  Anyway, the bassline drives Pretty Noose.

Rhinosaur and Dusty sounded very Zeppelinesque.  Both would have been improved by a Jimmy Page guitar solo.  I wasn't blown away by Kim Thayll's leads on this record.  His riffage is solid and he looks good next to Cornell but his solos didn't do much for me.

Loved the banjo in Ty Cobb.  Chorus was very R rated.  I thought album picked up here and carried through the next couple of songs.  Applebite is the sort of ambient semi-instrumental that CDs made possible.  It would have been an outtake if the band was limited to 45 minutes of their best material.

Never the Machine Forever got the party back going.  Cornell is great on this type of mid-tempo Rocker.  He nails the sweet spot between singing and screaming like few others can.  Tighter and Tighter is a cool track too but it needed Thayll to do more with the break to push it up a level.  The Sleep tight for me outro wasn't a strong ending.  I listened to the next song No Attention as I typed this up.  It was an uptempo little ditty and a better way to close this one out.

I made it through at least 45 minutes of Down on the Upside so I'll move on to the next album.  When I made my Screaming Trees pick, I said some provocative BS about their standing among Seattle bands.  Soundgarden was the better band obviously.  A top tier frontman lifts all boats.

Is that the one with Jakob Dylan?
No, it starts out with a guy that took photos of tons of artists that lived there, and he was in a band too and lived among them. It has the voices of a lot of musicians speaking, and a lot of film footage of musicians, and a few face interviews too. Some of the artists are from Mamas and Papas, Joni Mitchell, The Doors, The Byrds, CSNY, Love, Parsons, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, Ronstadt, Eagles,  etc.

But there is one that was so incredibly and consistently awful from front to back I had to make my wife hear it. My friend suggested it in a non shticky way telling me this was a new release. The sheer will it took to listen to it cover to cover was something. Here's a super awesome music video just to give a sample.
Sounds like it was written by an algorithm.

No, it starts out with a guy that took photos of tons of artists that lived there, and he was in a band too and lived among them. It has the voices of a lot of musicians speaking, and a lot of film footage of musicians, and a few face interviews too. Some of the artists are from Mamas and Papas, Joni Mitchell, The Doors, The Byrds, CSNY, Love, Parsons, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, Ronstadt, Eagles,  etc.
Cool.  I think we have Epix.

Was looking at the Tom Petty "Live Anthology" and then thought.  If they won't let me draft soundtracks (that aren't "greatest hits" albums) no way they'd let me draft almost every great Petty song on one album.

Then I saw it was drafted back in the 31st round.

:coffee:

48.21 Slightly Stoopid - The Longest Barrel Ride

(1998)

Back when I took Sublime's 40 oz, I mentioned that Sublime paved a way for a small niche genre. I don't even know what it would be called. But a bunch of Long Beach area acts mimicked, tweaked, and ran with the style, along with a band from Hawaii that put out a pretty ok record near the turn of the millennium.

I found Slightly Stoopid on some pirate internet radio type show back in the day and proceeded to wear this thing out in hs and college. I think I went through 2 CDs, I dunno. This was to adolescent buffaloes what disco biscuits is to current-day pik. I told everyone about this. These guys actually developed a pretty decent following and subsequent records have included more hip hop, more polished production, and collaboration. Im partial to this one release though. I think I've seen them live more than any other act and they've been a blast.

Probably not on anyone's radar, but if you dig Sublime, give it a shot. 

Songs: 

Castles of Sand

Living Dread

Eta:  single grooves abound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roll dem bones.  Got a 6 this time

1. Pixies Doolittle
  2. Shuffle favorites Golden Smog - not Bill Callahan
  3. AC/DC
  4. At the Drive In - this mini shuffle has been heavy
  5. The Tubes
and here we go...

Next album is Tuff Enuff by The Fabulous Thunderbirds (1986).

Good.  Haven't listened to this one in years.  And only 32 minutes total.  The Fabulous and Concise Thunderbirds.

Hey guys I'm ok!  Had to hit the road and then my phone died and I STILL don't have a phone but no worse for wear and I'm glad to see this is just going forever  bblllll
there's no shame is spending some mandatory time in county lock up zilla

no need for excuses I've heard from my 16 yr old.   :hifive:

I think I mentioned way back before I shoehorned myself into this draft that this thread came at the right time. When I started working from home due to the covid I decided to listen to at least one new to me album per day. Most of the time it was more than one. Some of the time it was the same one multiple times. This was right around when the strokes, EOB, and another massive artist (massive in terms of music, actually pretty diminutive irl). And right around the time I saw this thread. So good timing and thanks again to all. I made a chart in my office of new albums. Anyway, I decided to keep trying to listen to a new album every day since I've returned to work. Some good, some amazing, and some bad.

What have you come across that you have really liked?

I started something similar a bit back - trying to go through lists of "best albums" and hitting up some that I hadn't listened to or heard of.  I fell off a bit which I why I was thinking about doing something similar to what Eephus is doing.  Not sure I have the balls to fully commit to a random shuffle and deal with whatever, as my music tastes are a tad bit narrower.   That was part of the reason I asked the question over the weekend about what albums people would want others to try most from their drafts.  Figured I could start with a few of them instead of starting off with the randomizer.

Couple more random questions:

1.  Did you let the fact that this is going onto a playlist effect your draft at all?   

I was thinking about this as I stare at metal albums, that I don't think people will like at all, so I skipped over them.  

2.  Those who drafted live albums - and be honest now - what % was preferring those versions of the songs to the albums and what % was a "more bang for your buck" approach?  

If there were decent full Radiohead concerts on Spotify, I would have gone that route because like I've said before - I prefer the sound of songs from KidA especially in the live form.   There have been a couple live songs pop up that I thought sounded kind of bad, so that got me thinking about this as well.  

1.  Did you let the fact that this is going onto a playlist effect your draft at all?   

I was thinking about this as I stare at metal albums, that I don't think people will like at all, so I skipped over them.  

2.  Those who drafted live albums - and be honest now - what % was preferring those versions of the songs to the albums and what % was a "more bang for your buck" approach?  

If there were decent full Radiohead concerts on Spotify, I would have gone that route because like I've said before - I prefer the sound of songs from KidA especially in the live form.   There have been a couple live songs pop up that I thought sounded kind of bad, so that got me thinking about this as well.  
1)Yes, but not always.  Kind of a tie breaker. 

2)My first pick was Pulse.  I loved it when it came out, and still do.  I wonder if anyone still has a blinking light working.  Gotta sound perfect live for me to get it.

1. Yes, I likely would have dipped into classical if there wasn’t a playlist 

2. Stop Making Sense is probably 50/50 on being the better versions of the songs and a play to get a sampling of their work. James Brown and Jerry Lee Lewis don’t have any studio albums that match the sound on their live albums. 

Yes, but not always.  Kind of a tie breaker.  My first pick was Pulse.  I loved it when it came out, and still do.  I wonder if anyone still has a blinking light working.  Gotta sound perfect live for me to get it.
My other thing was that I needed the live album to be one concert if I was to consider it for the draft (per my previous rant), so that limited the pool a bit as well.  

Tuff Enuff by The Fabulous Thunderbirds (1986).  Drafted by @Mrs. Rannous at 30.13

Title track was an inauspicious starter.  It sounded like somebody from the label listened to ZZ Top's Eliminator and asked for something similar.  Too much reverb and a weird 80s mix, strange sound for these guys.  Fortunately things got better the closer the T-Birds got to their roots.

Kim Wilson is a better harp player than singer but his voice works for these barroom songs.  One of the songs sounded like a straight rip of Bonie Maronie.  Love Jimmie Vaughan's Stratocaster tone.  It's tough to be the big brother of a legend but Jimmie does a lot with the 8-bar leads he's mostly given here.  There's no song longer than 3:49 here; I think Stevie Ray had some solos longer than that.

Checks producer credit and lo and behold, it's our old friend Dave Edmunds.  I have a T-Birds album produced by Nick Lowe so the band has filled two squares of Rockpile bingo.  I really like the dancing songs the best on this record.  I Don't Care is a backbeat driven choogler and True Love has a Rockabilly flavor that makes me want to put on a Western shirt and some boots and cut a rug with Mrs. E.  The instrumental harmonica scorcher Down at Antones is a nice way to end things.

Funny side note is I'm a Dead Head yet haven't touched anything in that direction yet.  I play Studio 54 Radio every day, yet I have no disco.  Finally just hit some Motown which is daily at my house.  I think I just treated this a bit like I would a sports draft.  I love my records though.

I'd like to have an album by each of these guys so why not take one with both of them together? Two of my favorite tenors (Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster) get together for this gig, and who is that playing piano with them? Oh my word it's Oscar Peterson. He brought along his boys Ray Brown on bass and Herb Ellis on guitar. Alvin Stoller is on drums.

Round 48

Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster - Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster (1959)

It Never Entered My Mind

Shine on Harvest Moon

Does Radiohead have an official live album release?

Their music isn't typical big Rock show fare but I've been very impressed by them as a live act when I saw them and on concert videos.

zam, did you happen to watch the two part documentary called Laurel Canyon on EPIX? The last one was on Sunday night. If you didn't see it it was about the music scene in Laurel Canyon in the mid 60s to mid 70s. It was interesting. I never even heard of the channel until Laurel Canyon was advertised. There is an EPIX on demand where you can watch both episodes, which are about an hour 20 minutes long. 
Just an observer in here, but I watched Part one last night. Biggest surprise to me was the connections amongst the musicians that I didn't know or had forgotten. For example, David Crosby was fired from The Byrds and then produced Joni Mitchell's 1st album. Stephen Stills was in Buffalo Springfield until Neil Young quit the band to do a solo album and he was looking for his next thing.Graham Nash was bored with the direction The Hollies were headed, so he was looking for something new. Crosby, Stills and Nash came together and found they had a unique sound. They decided they needed another guitar player and chose Neil Young. I think they said Woodstock was CSNY's public concert. 

There were also a bunch of romantic entanglements amongst the musicians too.

Looking forward to Part 2!

47.31 Otis Redding - Live in London and Paris (1967)

Backed by Booker T. & The MGs!

Respect
My Girl
Shake
Day Tripper
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
Try A Little Tenderness
Respect
I Can’t Turn You Loose [Paris]
I’ve Been Loving You Too Long
My Girl
Shake
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)
These Arms Of Mine [Paris]
Day Tripper
Try A Little Tenderness

1. If I was worried about how other people would react to my picks, I wouldn't have participated; I made peace with my 'unique' taste in music a long time ago.

2. My live album picks are definitely of the 'more bang for the buck' variety.

48.27: A Question of Balance (1970)

The first seven albums by the Moody Blues mark II definitely were intended to be played in their entirety, and I think Days of Future Passed and To Our Children's Children's Children are the two most complete top to bottom. The others all had memorable tracks, and this one contains two of my favorites from their catalog: Question and It's Up to You.

What have you come across that you have really liked?
I missed these guys just based on timing as they hit big when my life hit warp speed there for a while. So embarrassingly, I totally missed arcade fire's funeral. ############ kinda missed out there. But I had a surface level acquaintance with them so they were one of the first I decided to run through. Not regretting that listen.

Both the strokes and EOB new albums were good.

I may have listened to it before, but is never struck me what a complete and incredible album Marvin Gaye's what's going on is. That's one to listen to from front to back as well since many songs segue into one another. I've played that one over and over the past few months. It was taken pretty high in this thing and ven then it feels like it was a steal. That album is class and still as relevant as ever. And it has aged like the finest of vinos. Kind of fell in love with this album over the past few months tbh.

The wrens meadowlands was one I listened to after reading reactions to early selections in this draft and was really good, particularly in the context of a full album listen.

Getting reaquainted with Manu Chao, at which point I'm beating a dead horse as far as listening to the full album, was nice. The way it segued stylistically and linguistically from one to another on each track yet maintaining a smooth journey struck me as something special. 

I would have to check my lists for more but top of my head those ones I remember well

Their music isn't typical big Rock show fare but I've been very impressed by them as a live act when I saw them and on concert videos.
I used to have some live Radiohead shows.  I don't remember them sounding great.  I had 9/11/01.  It's probably on a drive somewhere in my house.

Not really - they have I Might Be Wrong, which is a short 8 track mish mash of live stuff I think mostly from KidA/Amnesiac with my much preferred version of True Love Waits.  

They are one of my main YouTube rabbit holes.   They have been awesome at putting up stuff during quarantine on their main page HERE.    They have their 2 "in the basement" gigs, plus a handful of high quality concerts that they chose to put up.   Glastonbury 2003 is one of my favorites to go back to as well, especially for that specific version of Fake Plastic Trees.   Goosebumps every time Jonny starts wailing away at his guitar at about the 2:40 mark.  

I'm watching Vin Scully, sounds of the game right now.  When is the amateur draft this year anyway?  It's already June!  Weird.

There is a site that has aggregated some really good Radiohead shows. Some thhat aren't available on the the library last i checked.

My personal fav is live at canal+ in Paris in 2001. That was my gateway to rh. But Bonnaroo 2006 is widely considered their best. The energy for that one from both the band and the crowd was raucous. And they played like 30 songs.

Their from the basement sessions of in rainbows and the king of limbs are worthy of official release with the latter possibly (probably) being better than its studio iteration...at least as a whole. 

I used to have some live Radiohead shows.  I don't remember them sounding great.  I had 9/11/01.  It's probably on a drive somewhere in my house.
Yeah, I have about 50 in the basement.   I think a few stood out that sounded good that I DLd - a Toronto '00 show comes to mind.   I also have crappy versions of a couple shows I was at for the memories.   Check out their channel though - the stuff they loaded up sounds and looks good.  

I'll start another album while I finish the ribs under the broiler.  Maybe I'll smoke a little something before I get started.

But first let's roll dem bones. It's another 4

1. Judy Collins.  Hey, this was mine :bag:
  2. The Kinks - Word of Mouth.  Too bad, I'm not familiar w/ this one.
  3. Milton Nascimento - would have liked to listen to this.  Makes mental note.
and here we go..

Not really - they have I Might Be Wrong, which is a short 8 track mish mash of live stuff I think mostly from KidA/Amnesiac with my much preferred version of True Love Waits.  

They are one of my main YouTube rabbit holes.   They have been awesome at putting up stuff during quarantine on their main page HERE.    They have their 2 "in the basement" gigs, plus a handful of high quality concerts that they chose to put up.   Glastonbury 2003 is one of my favorites to go back to as well, especially for that specific version of Fake Plastic Trees.   Goosebumps every time Jonny starts wailing away at his guitar at about the 2:40 mark.  
Off topic, but Radiohead talk reminded me of their awesome "vidieos" that went with the songs.  Just, There There, street spirit.

Have we ever had a music video draft? 

Users who are viewing this thread