What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (7 Viewers)

Been offline for much of the last couple weeks. Working and prepping for a trip to WI. I think I have enough to make 30, most of them are far off the beaten path, so I don't think they've been taken.
@Mr. Ected - where you heading to around here?  I think at one point you said your wife's side of the family is from WI?

What I have learned the over the last week, is that while I am loving exploring the albums and doing that, I really don't seem to love doing reviews for all of them - I am sure that's why they are coming fewer and farther between and some of them are getting shorter.   Anyway, just wanted to post that I did finish my visit to @Bonzai island and I will probably be moving on to another tonight or tomorrow.   Here is a reminder of what else on his island and a few thoughts:

PAVEMENT - BRIGHTEN THE CORNERS (1997)

I haven't heard much of them as I posted, but this is exactly what I was expecting.  Good stuff, and very distinct sound - sometimes the vocals get to me a tad, but overall a good solid album.  From my limited experience this seemed be a little bit on the "softer side" of Pavement - is that accurate?  The limited exposure I have left me with the memory of a little bit of fuzzier guitar sounds.  6.5/10

MARGO & THE NUCLEAR SO AND SO'S - THE DUST OF RETREAT (2006)

On of the 2 on my list of his that I had 0 clue what it was.   However, this one I was completely wrong on my guess of what the sound was going to be like.  This is one that I want to give another spin to.  Most I have gone through 2-3 times, but this I have hit just once.   I also thought of my wife with this one, and I think she would like this as well.   I wrote down Skeleton Key and Quiet as a Mouse, but I know there were a couple others I really dug too.   Paper Kitten Nightmare might be a skip next listen though.  ;) 7/10

CHARLES MINGUS - THE BLACK SAINT AND THE SINNER LADY (1963)

I think this one is going to be a cop out and say that I reserve the right to circle back to this in the future and give it a more educated listen and rating.   I will admit that it was a bit of a struggle, but did feel it a little more then 2nd time around.   I joked but I was kind of serious - I don't think I am smart enough for this one yet.  My gut was telling me that this might be something that you work up to after dipping your toe into the waters more, and not your 5th jazz album.   So, this is for sure not a negative on Bonzai's selection at all.   My impression was that me listening to this now is equivalent to me sitting my son down for a David Lynch movie.  ;)   I am curious on replies if my gut is off or not...   I like it and for sure want to get back to it, I was just left a bit confused.  

Last edited by a moderator:
..and if I read the room correctly, it seems like most aren't interested in more spins and if they are it seems like people are already travelling around which is cool.   I think tonight I am just going to do a random dice roll and see where I am heading next.   Unless something else comes up, it seems like my pace of 5-6 albums for the week was just about right, I just need take less time for the typing and fit more time for my movie obligations.  ;)  

@krista4 is the rest of the album similar? 
Not entirely.  There are a few songs similar - "No Sir" and "You Can't Help Me Now" come to mind immediately.  But much of it is more rocking.  My favorite is "Milwaukee" as just a blast of fun rock-n-roll, and "Volunteers of America" is in the same vein.  I also like "Bedtime Stories," which is kind of in between.  Let me know what you think if listen to more!

Not entirely.  There are a few songs similar - "No Sir" and "You Can't Help Me Now" come to mind immediately.  But much of it is more rocking.  My favorite is "Milwaukee" as just a blast of fun rock-n-roll, and "Volunteers of America" is in the same vein.  I also like and "Bedtime Stories," which is kind of in between.  Let me know what you think if listen to more!
Will do - thanks for the input.  

:lmao:

Well, random.org gave me a 25, so I guess that means I am swimming to @krista4 island.   Have any suggestions? (and be gentle with the picks...)

One is going to be The Both for sure.  I am going to scan your albums tonight and write some ideas down.  

I mean, I took a Loudon Wainwright album in the draft; I don’t know how you could be surprised I’d link a song of his.

:lmao:

Well, random.org gave me a 25, so I guess that means I am swimming to @krista4 island.   Have any suggestions? (and be gentle with the picks...)

One is going to be The Both for sure.  I am going to scan your albums tonight and write some ideas down.  
Oh boy!  I know no jazz and no country.  Will think about it...but let me know what looks of interest.

What I have learned the over the last week, is that while I am loving exploring the albums and doing that, I really don't seem to love doing reviews for all of them - I am sure that's why they are coming fewer and farther between and some of them are getting shorter.
Not I. Just haven't had dead times during the work day and evenings/weekends are returning to normal. Nice to spend 2 1/2 hours at the baseball diamond on a Wednesday evening again. Hoping for another spin Friday morning...

Not I. Just haven't had dead times during the work day and evenings/weekends are returning to normal. Nice to spend 2 1/2 hours at the baseball diamond on a Wednesday evening again. Hoping for another spin Friday morning...
Yeah, your posts and many others make me realize just how little my life changed during COVID.   I am mean I put a mask on now at the store, but besides that....  :bag:

Oh boy!  I know no jazz and no country.  Will think about it...but let me know what looks of interest.
@krista4

There is a lot on your list I am not familiar with.  On first pass besides The Both  I wrote down:

Stevie Wonder, Big Star, XTC, The Frames, Albert King, Nick Drake, Otis Redding, Belle and Sebastian. 

There is a ton of stuff.  Like others have said, I am not a huge fan of my introduction to bands being a live album, but besides that, the ones I am familiar with are -  The Shins, Flaming Lips, Modern Lovers, REM, The Verve, MC5, Husker Du, Damien Rice.   

And of course I am going to sit down and have a talk with Sgt. Peppers.  

@KarmaPolice that’s a pretty heady jazz album for sure. Your Lynch comp is good. Like assigning a Nabokov novel to an 8th grader- no offense
So you or anybody else - what are 5 jazz albums you would start a beginner off with? 

I honestly don't know what albums I have listened to fully.  I think a couple Miles albums, a Dave Brubeck album (evidently enough to recognize it when it came up on a playlist shuffle), I think a Buddy Rich album?, and the Whiplash soundtrack (LOL).  

Again, I don't dislike it when I hear it, I think it's a combo of:

1.  not being in the right headspace

2.  despite saying I am not a lyrics guy, I am for sure usually not an instrumental guy (which probably leads to #1 a bit)

3.  I constantly post about drums in my metal bands and gravitating to bands that have great ones.   Now, when I hear jazz I hear a distinct jazz drumming beat, but nothing that makes my pants tight, and then the rest of the instrumentation is the draw.  

I will add some jazz and classical music as extra credit to my islands as I go if people have similar classical suggestions ( I am SLIGHTLY more versed there). 

I remember you mentioning this a while ago, and then I saw you two doing trivia night together and doing this draft together and I assumed there was a reversal.

Best of luck to both of you.
For sure.  I am horrible with my notebooks, so I am confused a bit what's going on, but echo the bolded 100%.  

@krista4

There is a lot on your list I am not familiar with.  On first pass besides The Both  I wrote down:

Stevie Wonder, Big Star, XTC, The Frames, Albert King, Nick Drake, Otis Redding, Belle and Sebastian. 

There is a ton of stuff.  Like others have said, I am not a huge fan of my introduction to bands being a live album, but besides that, the ones I am familiar with are -  The Shins, Flaming Lips, Modern Lovers, REM, The Verve, MC5, Husker Du, Damien Rice.   

And of course I am going to sit down and have a talk with Sgt. Peppers.  
I thought of both The Frames and Nick Drake for you, and Big Star would be a top choice now that you mention it.  But...Yo Mama reviewed The Frames and Big Star when he visited my island, and I think has Nick Drake on his list.  I don't know if you want to double up?  It certainly is OK with me, and especially Big Star since The Frames is a live album and maybe not the spot to start after all.  The more people who listen to the Big Star the better.  I've yet to introduce it to someone who was disappointed.

If you don't know that Stevie Wonder album, well...start there.  To me it's one of the greatest of all time, and it has a bit of everything.  You can't go wrong with Otis either, of course, but if you're choosing between the two I'd say start with Stevie.  

I have some weird hunch you might like Belle and Sebastian.  I don't know why and could be way off.  XTC would be my second choice for you there in terms of a somewhat similar sound.

I think you like blues, and Albert King is one of the greatest blues guitarists of all time, so good if you're in the mood for that.

I know I've basically recommended all of them now, but I'd say Big Star, Stevie, and Belle and Sebastian off the top, for a variety.  Nick Drake too if you don't mind doubling, in case Yo Mama gets to that one.

So you or anybody else - what are 5 jazz albums you would start a beginner off with? 

I honestly don't know what albums I have listened to fully.  I think a couple Miles albums, a Dave Brubeck album (evidently enough to recognize it when it came up on a playlist shuffle), I think a Buddy Rich album?, and the Whiplash soundtrack (LOL).  

Again, I don't dislike it when I hear it, I think it's a combo of:

1.  not being in the right headspace

2.  despite saying I am not a lyrics guy, I am for sure usually not an instrumental guy (which probably leads to #1 a bit)

3.  I constantly post about drums in my metal bands and gravitating to bands that have great ones.   Now, when I hear jazz I hear a distinct jazz drumming beat, but nothing that makes my pants tight, and then the rest of the instrumentation is the draw.  

I will add some jazz and classical music as extra credit to my islands as I go if people have similar classical suggestions ( I am SLIGHTLY more versed there). 
I would have to think about it but the Brubeck album (Time Out) would be on there. The drumming on Take Five is so good. I would say Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins has some of the best drumming courtesy of Max Roach . I’ll think about what would also make a good introduction. There’s lots of jazz with singing btw- much of Sinatra for example is basically jazz music.

Weekend project:  Got a spotify offer for three free months.  I plan to milk it and publically share my 52-Pickup playlist with all y'all.  Don't snooze, 'cause it's really good; it's surprisingly good.

But after three months, it may die.

I'm the worst.

You cannot present me with a playlist and suggest I check it out, and hold expectations I'll actually check things out.  No matter how open-minded I try to be, I have to discover new music organically (for lack of a better term).

I'm the best.

Naan Pizza.

I thought of both The Frames and Nick Drake for you, and Big Star would be a top choice now that you mention it.  But...Yo Mama reviewed The Frames and Big Star when he visited my island, and I think has Nick Drake on his list.  I don't know if you want to double up?  It certainly is OK with me, and especially Big Star since The Frames is a live album and maybe not the spot to start after all.  The more people who listen to the Big Star the better.  I've yet to introduce it to someone who was disappointed.

If you don't know that Stevie Wonder album, well...start there.  To me it's one of the greatest of all time, and it has a bit of everything.  You can't go wrong with Otis either, of course, but if you're choosing between the two I'd say start with Stevie.  

I have some weird hunch you might like Belle and Sebastian.  I don't know why and could be way off.  XTC would be my second choice for you there in terms of a somewhat similar sound.

I think you like blues, and Albert King is one of the greatest blues guitarists of all time, so good if you're in the mood for that.

I know I've basically recommended all of them now, but I'd say Big Star, Stevie, and Belle and Sebastian off the top, for a variety.  Nick Drake too if you don't mind doubling, in case Yo Mama gets to that one.
Awesome - thanks.   I will use some of these and maybe a couple of my ideas and probably just unleash a quick post of comments next week sometime.  

I am sure I have listened to that Stevie, but he's one that I don't listen to enough and I am not 100% familiar with.   I am also obsessed with listening to stuff again with the upgrade in headphones too.    

Thanks again.  

Yeah, your posts and many others make me realize just how little my life changed during COVID.   I am mean I put a mask on now at the store, but besides that....  :bag:
I am hoping this new habit sticks. When I hit a lull during the day rather than putting on something familiar and wandering through the psf or tinker with my baseball lineup for the 37th time that day instead - lose myself in some new music. 

Was Sgt Pepps an album that you weren’t familiar with?
I am sure at some point I have listened to it.  Y'all know I have a contentious relationship with The Beatles, so it's not something I would seek out to listen to, so this was a good reason to do so and give an honest listen.  

I am sure at some point I have listened to it.  Y'all know I have a contentious relationship with The Beatles, so it's not something I would seek out to listen to, so this was a good reason to do so and give an honest listen.  
Good one to use the new headphones for!

First Beatles album I really was exposed to and listened to a lot so for me it’s just so embedded that it’s hard to imagine someone not being familiar. However, if you aren’t a big Beatles guy than it makes sense. I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts.

I really like all 3 finalists but I think I’m pulling for Voltaggio. We are grilling some shrimp and fish for tacos so I guess that’s my big plan.
Still on Team Melissa here.  She's absolutely dominated this season, but I hope winning the last three challenges in a row won't lead to a let-down.  I like all three finalists as people, though, so not rooting against anyone!  As an aside, I love Bryan's laugh; it's so dorky and sincere.  All three are very likable.

There is a new pizza place here that opened a couple of weeks ago, and since pizza is my comfort food, I got one of each type they had tonight for a taste test.  Basically didn't touch the Sicilian (which was fabulous) because the "Detroit style" was so amazing.  Not sure I'd ever had that before, but I guess you know what I'm talking about!  Turned out the owner/pizzamaker learned from, and was part of the team that won world championship with, Tony of Tony's Napoletana in San Francisco, which until tonight was probably the best pizza I'd ever had, including all over Italy.  But now Tony has a rival in his old apprentice...  Anyway, that's a long way of saying I'll be celebrating with reheated pizza, I think.

Still on Team Melissa here.  She's absolutely dominated this season, but I hope winning the last three challenges in a row won't lead to a let-down.  I like all three finalists as people, though, so not rooting against anyone!  As an aside, I love Bryan's laugh; it's so dorky and sincere.  All three are very likable.

There is a new pizza place here that opened a couple of weeks ago, and since pizza is my comfort food, I got one of each type they had tonight for a taste test.  Basically didn't touch the Sicilian (which was fabulous) because the "Detroit style" was so amazing.  Not sure I'd ever had that before, but I guess you know what I'm talking about!  Turned out the owner/pizzamaker learned from, and was part of the team that won world championship with, Tony of Tony's Napoletana in San Francisco, which until tonight was probably the best pizza I'd ever had, including in Italy.  But now Tony has a rival in his old apprentice...  Anyway, that's a long way of saying I'll be celebrating with reheated pizza, I think.
Yeah Melissa has certainly earned it- she’s amazing. Great group of chefs. As for the Detroit style pizza, yes that’s become a huge thing now. We never called it Detroit style here but everything has grown off of 2 places: Shields and Buddy’s. Those two pizza places were the top local spots and the whole country is starting to catch on in the last couple years. 

Users who are viewing this thread