What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (7 Viewers)

NV beer update, the best sour brewery in Ontario - Half Hours on Earth - came out with a new fruited sour using monk fruit and vanilla instead of milk sugar. Great for lactose intolerant and vegan folks (Mrs. NV) and it delicious. 

I may shuffle through the playlist tonight. In typical millenial fashion I'm back on songs rather than albums.

Now playing Matthew Dear f/Tegan and Sara (they should have been drafted) - The Bad Ones

Been offline for much of the last couple weeks. Working and prepping for a trip to WI. I think I have enough to make 30, most of them are far off the beaten path, so I don't think they've been taken.
@Mr. Ected - where you heading to around here?  I think at one point you said your wife's side of the family is from WI?
The in-laws live in Shawano, a little north of Appleton, half hour west of GB (hard place to visit often for a Bears fan!! ;)  ).

We are headed there for a couple days, then up to Eagle River (2h north) for a week, then back to Shawano for a week or so. We need to get out of our house, and this is a great, semi-already planned opportunity to get away and see some family. 

Where are you?

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been pretty good about Top Chef spoilers during this draft.

I guess we're Team Melissa here since she's the home team.  But Stephanie has been a compelling underdog story and I've eaten at Volt.
As someone who is usually behind on this thread, I appreciate the lack of spoilers.

I'm still pulling for Melissa but I wouldn't be upset to see any of them win.  Voltaggio has the perpetual runner-up thing going, Richard Blais 2.0.  And Stephanie is the classic underdog who is not only hanging around, but consistently finishing in the top 2 of late.

I'm up for more listening program at some point, but I'm not able to get through albums at the same speed I normally would in the office, where I can listen to music pretty much all day.  I'm at home on a VPN remoting into my office computer, and running Spotify murders the bandwidth.  Add to that the fact that my wife both working from home all day is sapping our Wifi, just a no-go during the day.

The in-laws live in Shawano, a little north of Appleton, half hour west of GB (hard place to visit often for a Bears fan!! ;)  ).

We are headed there for a couple days, then up to Eagle River (2h north) for a week, then back to Shawano for a week or so. We need to get out of our house, and this is a great, semi-already planned opportunity to get away and see some family. 

Where are you?
I was up near Eagle River in St. Germain last summer. 

My cousin lives in Lac du Flambeau.

Where are you?

My cousin lives in Lac du Flambeau.
That area is a great place to visit in the summer, great outdoors stuff to do!

Lac du Flambeau looks like more water than land!!

I went to summer camp in Eagle River as a kid. Great memories of Tremblay’s Fudge and Muskie Queen. 

ETA: Also saw E.T. at the Eagle River movie theater when it came out.

@KarmaPolice have you ever listened to Django Reinhardt? That might be a good spot to start with jazz. Because it’s guitar based, it might be be quite as big of a step for a rock fan. 

NV beer update, the best sour brewery in Ontario - Half Hours on Earth - came out with a new fruited sour using monk fruit and vanilla instead of milk sugar. Great for lactose intolerant and vegan folks (Mrs. NV) and it delicious. 

I may shuffle through the playlist tonight. In typical millenial fashion I'm back on songs rather than albums.

Now playing Matthew Dear f/Tegan and Sara (they should have been drafted) - The Bad Ones
Sounds good.   

I am currently choking down a mango IPA from New Belgium Brewery.  

Where are you?
I am in Lodi - a little town slightly NW of Madison.     Have fun on that overdue trip! 

I am listening to the song Poor Skeleton Steps Out.   Again getting that Talking Heads vibe.  
Actually when you mentioned the similarities earlier, that song immediately sprung into my head as one that would qualify.  And it’s one of my top songs on that record.  So I dunno.

A couple other near misses that I just thought of:

Silversun Pickups - really like the debut and still listen to that in the car from time to time.  

Dinosaur Jr.  - either Farm or Beyond.  I really like the late stage Dino sound.  

Damn, seems like I should have suggested Bill Callahan for KP’s and Yo Mama’s visits you my island.
Well, I will add it to the list.  I am cruising at 2 albums/day now, so might dig deeper on your list.  

Like I said earlier, I am not going to be as anal with my listens and reviews.  So if I am not running through every album 2-3 times, I will get to more of them.  

Silversun Pickups - really like the debut and still listen to that in the car from time to time.  

Dinosaur Jr.  - either Farm or Beyond.  I really like the late stage Dino sound.  
I had carnavas on my list for like the last ten rounds. is that their debut? 

Also had jamiroquai - traveling without moving in queue before going with some weirder selections

Almost took shpongle - tales of the inexpressible. That would've been worth it just for a shuffle reaction from someone

Blind melon - self titled was on short list as well

Never hear of this.   Is there a specific album to plug into my extra credit jazz playlist I just started?
Someone else might be able to better answer that. He’s got a million albums and it’s pretty much all stuff recorded in the 30s and 40s as he died really young. 

Here’s one of his bigger hits, if you don’t like this than it’s probably not worth going further: Minor Swing

I had carnavas on my list for like the last ten rounds. is that their debut? 

Also had jamiroquai - traveling without moving in queue before going with some weirder selections

Almost took shpongle - tales of the inexpressible. That would've been worth it just for a shuffle reaction from someone

Blind melon - self titled was on short list as well
They had Pikul, but I thought that was more an EP.   Maybe I misspoke on that though.  

don't you ####in dare diss the Goos in this thread
Missing this show is my greatest concert regret in my life.  It was pouring rain that 4th of July.  And the tickets were like $15.  That's a lot of money when you're 17 and working part-time at an amusement park.  I ####ed up.  It's like the single most legendary concert in local history.

If I hadn’t slacked and waited until this turned into something else I would have taken a Dinosaur Jr. album. I couldn’t decide between You’re Livin All Over Me or one of the like four great albums they’ve had since reuniting.  

What I have learned the over the last week, is that while I am loving exploring the albums and doing that, I really don't seem to love doing reviews for all of them - I am sure that's why they are coming fewer and farther between and some of them are getting shorter.   Anyway, just wanted to post that I did finish my visit to @Bonzai island and I will probably be moving on to another tonight or tomorrow.   Here is a reminder of what else on his island and a few thoughts:

PAVEMENT - BRIGHTEN THE CORNERS (1997)

I haven't heard much of them as I posted, but this is exactly what I was expecting.  Good stuff, and very distinct sound - sometimes the vocals get to me a tad, but overall a good solid album.  From my limited experience this seemed be a little bit on the "softer side" of Pavement - is that accurate?  The limited exposure I have left me with the memory of a little bit of fuzzier guitar sounds.  6.5/10

MARGO & THE NUCLEAR SO AND SO'S - THE DUST OF RETREAT (2006)

On of the 2 on my list of his that I had 0 clue what it was.   However, this one I was completely wrong on my guess of what the sound was going to be like.  This is one that I want to give another spin to.  Most I have gone through 2-3 times, but this I have hit just once.   I also thought of my wife with this one, and I think she would like this as well.   I wrote down Skeleton Key and Quiet as a Mouse, but I know there were a couple others I really dug too.   Paper Kitten Nightmare might be a skip next listen though.  ;) 7/10

CHARLES MINGUS - THE BLACK SAINT AND THE SINNER LADY (1963)

I think this one is going to be a cop out and say that I reserve the right to circle back to this in the future and give it a more educated listen and rating.   I will admit that it was a bit of a struggle, but did feel it a little more then 2nd time around.   I joked but I was kind of serious - I don't think I am smart enough for this one yet.  My gut was telling me that this might be something that you work up to after dipping your toe into the waters more, and not your 5th jazz album.   So, this is for sure not a negative on Bonzai's selection at all.   My impression was that me listening to this now is equivalent to me sitting my son down for a David Lynch movie.  ;)   I am curious on replies if my gut is off or not...   I like it and for sure want to get back to it, I was just left a bit confused.  
Yes the Pavement record is their lazy Sunday afternoon record. I love it.

Glad you dug the Margot record. What did you think it was going to sound like?

No shame in not getting your head around Black Saint on first listen :lol:  I think your comparison to Lynch is a good one. First time a saw a Lynch movie I didn't understand it but I was drawn to it and just knew that I loved it. I had the same reaction to Black Saint. The fact that I couldn't get my head around it is what drew me to it. I was so intrigued by it, it was the album that drew me into jazz in general.

If I hadn’t slacked and waited until this turned into something else I would have taken a Dinosaur Jr. album. I couldn’t decide between You’re Livin All Over Me or one of the like four great albums they’ve had since reuniting.  
Uh, there's still time - I think Shuke is still drafting up in this mo' fo.  

Yes the Pavement record is their lazy Sunday afternoon record. I love it.

Glad you dug the Margot record. What did you think it was going to sound like?

No shame in not getting your head around Black Saint on first listen :lol:  I think your comparison to Lynch is a good one. First time a saw a Lynch movie I didn't understand it but I was drawn to it and just knew that I loved it. I had the same reaction to Black Saint. The fact that I couldn't get my head around it is what drew me to it. I was so intrigued by it, it was the album that drew me into jazz in general.
For some reason I couldn't get the song from Kill Bill by the 5,6,7,8s out of my head when seeing the band name.    :lol:  

Where are you?
I am in Lodi - a little town slightly NW of Madison.     Have fun on that overdue trip! 
I'll wave as we drive by! We think we're going to head thru Madison instead of Milwaukee.

This season of Top Chef began on the third day of local shutdown.  Fourteen weeks later, here we are.
I missed six episodes (2-7), but I'm all caught up with the rest of the episodes, and the finale just started. I like all three of the finalist.

Here is what was left on my list:

Madvillian - Madvilliany
Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss
Ryan Adams - Cold Roses
Ween - Chocolate and Cheese
Tom Waits
Jamey Johnson
Tyler Childers
Helmet - Meantime
Archers of Loaf - Icky Mettle
SDRE - Diary
Against Me!
Sturgill Simpson
Dr. Dog
Conspiracy Of Owls
Real Estate
Bill Callahan
Jenny Lewis
Bright Eyes
Girls Against Boys

Here is what was left on my list:
Tom Waits
Archers of Loaf - Icky Mettle
I had a some Tom Waits albums left on my list, plus Arches of Loaf (and Crooked Fingers).

Other final cuts for me were Ron Sexsmith Blue Boy, Sondre Lerche Faces Down, Preston School of Industry Monsoon, and the Hedwig and the Angry Inch soundtrack already mentioned.  And the damn Housemartins if I'd thought of them.

Users who are viewing this thread