Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Do you know the story behind the "lost" album?

Yeah, I've read it.  The songs don't seem particularly personal to me but maybe they are for Neil.  He was certainly going through some things at the time.

The album he released instead Tonight's the Night seems to come from a darker place than Homegrown.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My penultimate listen on @Steve Tasker's island was Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe.

Wow.  This is a weird one for me, because I think this is a fabulous album, but I'm not sure I'd listen to it repeatedly in full.  Not because any of it isn't good, but I'm not sure it fits my listening preferences.  I kept thinking, "Tasker must go dancing a lot more than I do."

But damn, there is so much that I found incredible on here.  Not just individual songs, but the variety and flow of the record.  I'm not even sure how to describe it.  R&B obviously, and electronica sure, but with hip-hop, a bit of jazz, great pop.  And the songs are so aurally complex and deep - this is one I need to re-listen to with headphones.  And I'll definitely be re-listening to try to pick up more from these songs and maybe even put more of them on my "favorites" playlist.  This is smart, fascinating music.

My favorites:  I was a fan of the opener, "Chamakay," and then started to get blown away when I got to the fourth track, "No Right Thing."  That one's going straight to the playlist.  "Always Let You Down" will, too, despite having a female singer, as will "Time Will Tell."  The latter made me think of both Prince and Michael Jackson (the good version) - dayum!  

Let's see what Tasker chose:  "You're Not Good Enough" and "Time Will Tell" - I'm, as usual, one for two.  :) 

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, zamboni said:

New draft time?

Drunkapalooza (can't call it this or Joe will ban us)... PartyPalooza?

Whiskey songs

Beer songs 

BBQ songs

Club songs

Celebration songs

Summer songs

Sorrow drowning songs

Food/drink pairing songs

Party songs

Between the sheets party songs

Last night on earth songs

Wedding songs (sappy or dancy)

Breaking the law songs

Birthday songs

Festival songs

Sports/Championship songs

Baby/birth songs

Funeral/celebration of life songs

etc...

:shrug: 

------

 

I'm not at all commited to this, just an idea that came to me drinking beers in the backyard. 

It's possible I'm still trying to get the sex and drugs through under the radar but I think this would work. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Yeah, dying out a bit in here.  :sadbanana:

Anyway, @krista4 - I am almost done snooping around your island, and might be shoving off sooner than expected.  I think I will be on album #8 tonight.  

Thanks for the visit!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2020 at 9:20 PM, KarmaPolice said:
On 6/18/2020 at 9:18 PM, Mr. Ected said:

Mental note....LOVE Culvers. Ice Cream is awesome, we might stop by for a break!!!

Custard !!!!! 

My humble apologies! Still delicious. We went thru Milwaukee and made it up here in one trip. Had a wonderful fish fry last nite, now I just need some Fried Cheese Curds and Culver’s and I’m set!!!

There is a Culver’s in town here, so I plan to make several trips while we’re here.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

My humble apologies! Still delicious. We went thru Milwaukee and made it up here in one trip. Had a wonderful fish fry last nite, now I just need some Fried Cheese Curds and Culver’s and I’m set!!!

There is a Culver’s in town here, so I plan to make several trips while we’re here.

Culver's has cheese curds.  They aren't the best curds I've ever had but they're still fried cheese.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

 

Sports/Championship songs

Since there are no sports, this might be a good one.

A few liked the album opening/closing song idea, but I’ll drop that one for lack of enough interest.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2020 at 11:01 PM, Yo Mama said:

It’s been a rough week at work and I had it out this past Sunday with a close friend who’s turned into a big mask conspiracist so my heart really hasn’t been in it. 

I'm sorry.  It's a bit like a death in the family.  At least Arnold Schwarzenegger is on your side.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

 

We could go jukebox and then everyone pick their own shtick (i.e. only take first/last songs). 

I kind of like everyone pursuing the same theme and sniping, but I’ll go with whatever the masses want.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, zamboni said:
14 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

We could go jukebox and then everyone pick their own shtick (i.e. only take first/last songs). 

I kind of like everyone pursuing the same theme and sniping, but I’ll go with whatever the masses want.

The scarcity in the Jukebox format comes from no doubling up on years.  Fifty songs but no two from any year.  There is a hundred years of recorded music so this is the easy part.  The hard part is when you want two songs from 1971, 79, 92 or whatever your favorite year is and can only draft one.

The other gimmick in Jukebox #1 was drafting two songs at a time starting with round #3.  I don't remember if that was a good thing or not but it's still in the constitution.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I will be staying one more day.  I just looked at my notes and realized I didn't get to the Big Star album, so I will try to get to that tomorrow.  

You are welcome to stay!  All of our treehouses are booked for the night, but we have a lovely hammock available for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2020 at 9:22 PM, krista4 said:

My favorites:  I was a fan of the opener, "Chamakay," and then started to get blown away when I got to the fourth track, "No Right Thing."  That one's going straight to the playlist.  "Always Let You Down" will, too, despite having a female singer, as will "Time Will Tell."  The latter made me think of both Prince and Michael Jackson (the good version) - dayum!  

Let's see what Tasker chose:  "You're Not Good Enough" and "Time Will Tell" - I'm, as usual, one for two.  :) 

I think I've posted this story before, but apparently "Time Will Tell" wasn't even a planned song.  Supposedly during one of the studio sessions recording the album, Dev Hynes was just jamming on the piano with the rest of the studio musicians warming up, and this song was an unplanned, recorded-in-one-take jam session recording that was so good that he put it on the album.  That's why the lyrics are kinda non-sensical and are all rehashed partial lyrics from other songs of his....because it was a warmup and wasn't intended to be a real song.  For example, the "time will tell" main lyrics are just lyrics from his song "It Is What It Is" and the "come into my bedroom" part comes from the fantastic song "Champagne Coast" from his previous album.  It's also why, like halfway through the song, you can hear woman ask a question and hear people murmuring in the background.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright - here is what I ended up digging through on @krista4 island:

SGT PEPPER'S

BELLE AND SEBASTIAN 

BIG STAR

INNERVISIONS

ALBERT KING

OTIS BLUE

THE BOTH

BILL CALLAHAN

XTC

 

All in all, there wasn't a whiff or bad album in the bunch.  I didn't write many notes or songs that stuck out, so sorry about that.  The couple that I remember were my comment about XTC having a Talking Heads vibe, liking that Stevie album - especially the transition between tracks 2 and 3, that Bill Calhallan reminded me of Beck's Sea Change + Sun Kil Moon so that would fit on my island nicely, and that I for some reason I thought Big Star was more on the lines of XTC in sound but was pleasantly surprised that they rocked a bit more.

Again - I liked them all a lot, which is probably why I kept digging through the list.   I think the ones I liked the best were Stevie, XTC, The Both, and Big Star.  The Beatles are still a little bit of a struggle, but I like most of Sgt Pepper's.  I think there were a middle song or two that didn't click, but like the rest.   Anyway - thanks for the extended stay and I hope i didn't forget to flush the toilet or something gross.  

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

@Northern Voice - 

The list for your draft that I wrote down is a lot too: Frightened Rabbit, Bowie, Tragically Hip, T.Swift, Elbow, Tokyo Police Club, PUP, Arkell, Metric, Robyn, Sloan, Rihanna, Suede, Lana Del Rey, INXS, and I don't think I've listened to all of that Charly Bliss album. 

I'll take a peak and see if NV has other recommendations :bag:

 

  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once upon a time I flirted with Microsoft's Edge browser.  Turns out I bookmarked a few gems.

Jimmy Smith and Friends, Homicide  ... the original, which is better.

The Walkmen, Fly Into the Mystery

The Country Giants I consider the live performances I witnessed at Tacoland as God's gift to me. I did not see this show, but it's funny/sad that years after bookmarking it, it only has five views.

Charles Mingus, Moanin'  Feel free to agree this song is great

Zero 7, Today

Not sure who this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAp1_nA8QpU&index=26&list=PLofNwzTzUckh5uJ1Xvz1blReBKMtyLoYl&t=14s

Not sure who this is either, but they're in the running for whitest band ever:  https://youtu.be/pgjiRrnDmz0?list=PLofNwzTzUckh5uJ1Xvz1blReBKMtyLoYl&t=6

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Alright - here is what I ended up digging through on @krista4 island:

SGT PEPPER'S

BELLE AND SEBASTIAN 

BIG STAR

INNERVISIONS

ALBERT KING

OTIS BLUE

THE BOTH

BILL CALLAHAN

XTC

 

All in all, there wasn't a whiff or bad album in the bunch.  I didn't write many notes or songs that stuck out, so sorry about that.  The couple that I remember were my comment about XTC having a Talking Heads vibe, liking that Stevie album - especially the transition between tracks 2 and 3, that Bill Calhallan reminded me of Beck's Sea Change + Sun Kil Moon so that would fit on my island nicely, and that I for some reason I thought Big Star was more on the lines of XTC in sound but was pleasantly surprised that they rocked a bit more.

Again - I liked them all a lot, which is probably why I kept digging through the list.   I think the ones I liked the best were Stevie, XTC, The Both, and Big Star.  The Beatles are still a little bit of a struggle, but I like most of Sgt Pepper's.  I think there were a middle song or two that didn't click, but like the rest.   Anyway - thanks for the extended stay and I hope i didn't forget to flush the toilet or something gross.  

 

Happy you found stuff you liked so much!  You were an excellent visitor, but now the guys on the mopey side of the island are sad again.

6 minutes ago, Guy Who Likes Bad Music said:

I'll take a peak and see if NV has other recommendations :bag:

 

I'd seen this name "liking" posts and wondered who it was.  :lmao: 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

@Northern Voice - 

The list for your draft that I wrote down is a lot too: Frightened Rabbit, Bowie, Tragically Hip, T.Swift, Elbow, Tokyo Police Club, PUP, Arkell, Metric, Robyn, Sloan, Rihanna, Suede, Lana Del Rey, INXS, and I don't think I've listened to all of that Charly Bliss album. 

To be clear - these are the ones I am not familiar with so I had them down as possibilities to listen to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Guy Who Likes Bad Music said:

I think he got clipped for 5 weeks for this. He'd never even had a warning in 15 years here but :shrug:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/776645-trump-2020-hq-the-great-place/?do=findComment&comment=22801727

Wow.

I told you guys to stay out of the PSF!  @Eephus, quick, start your new draft so that we don't lose KP, too!

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

There is worse around there, but I assume the "and his supporters" part probably got one of the usual crew of 5-6 to hit the report button. Probably the one that quoted it.  

 

Yeah, NV is in a bunch of fantasy baseball leagues with HT so hopefully not him, but I'm sure the "supporters" mention did him in. 

Edited by Guy Who Likes Bad Music
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, krista4 said:
21 minutes ago, Guy Who Likes Bad Music said:

I think he got clipped for 5 weeks for this. He'd never even had a warning in 15 years here but :shrug:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/776645-trump-2020-hq-the-great-place/?do=findComment&comment=22801727

Wow.

I told you guys to stay out of the PSF!  @Eephus, quick, start your new draft so that we don't lose KP, too!

THIS WILL NOT STAND!!  WE HAVE WAY TOO MANY ASSWIPES DRAGGING THESE BOARDS DOWN.  

JOE ...THIS ISN'T RIGHT.  

Edited by Binky The Doormat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

THIS WILL NOT STAND!!  WE HAVE WAY TOO MANY ASSWIPES DRAGGING THESE BOARDS DOWN.  

JOE ...THIS ISN'T RIGHT.  

Joe and FBG Moderator and all the rest are completely complicit in what the FFA has become :tumbleweed:and what the PSF is :tinfoilhat:, honestly we should probably have a backup forum ready for music discussion like the old Hoof days because more and more people leave to never return every day 🥺

Edited by Guy Who Likes Bad Music
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, krista4 said:
12 minutes ago, Guy Who Likes Bad Music said:

Joe and FBG Moderator and all the rest are completely complicit in what the FFA has become :tumbleweed:and what the PSF is :tinfoilhat:, honestly we should probably have a backup forum ready for music discussion like the old Hoof days because more and more people leave to never return every day 🥺

Absolutely true on all counts.

I like Joe Bryant (nice guy and all), but his capitulation to those intent only on sowing seeds of discord (aka, flying T**** monkeys) has been one of the sadder developments in these parts.  

He's gone full Neville Chamberlain and he's gonna stand that ground.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...