What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (8 Viewers)

4.24 - CROSBY STILLS NASH AND YOUNG - 4 WAY STREET (1971)

I really love everything about these guys. Young's moody brooding.  Stills' straightforward brashness.  Crosby's childlike innocence.  Nash's intellectual complexity.  The four of them together figuring out how to bring together their awesome creative power into one synergy.  Hanging out in the scene, crossing paths with all the greats of the time, living in a world of bohemian imagination and putting out some of the great music ever.

This album's existence is so great because it really weaves all of their elements into one package, showcases songs and talents from all of them, and you can feel the energy of them together as opposed to just the studio performances.  They broke up right after this album.  Better to burn out than to fade away.

BBlack Queen

Ohio

@Abrantes up

2.25 The Flaming Lips, The Soft Bulletin (1999)

Waitin' for a Superman
Feeling Yourself Disintegrate

Alternating between the oldheads and new(er? ish?) dudes with my picks, I s'pose (and alternating crunchy rock with dreamy soundscapes, though that's generalizing a bit), but it's no actual strategy.

Man, what a dream and a marvel of a record. I came across it a few years after its release, as a college kid trying to find new music for himself, and this was a treasure. Incredibly lush and sonically layered, drenched in reverb and just ####### gorgeous on a good sound system/headphones. The trippy, all-over-the-place lunacy is part of the charm when it comes to the Flaming Lips, but it comes together beautifully and quite cohesively here, and sitting down with the whole album makes for an incredible listening experience. 

"Waitin' for a Superman" is heartbreakingly lovely and one of my all-time favorites, and I went with "Feeling Youself Disintegrate" here instead of "Race for the Prize" (probably the most playlist-friendly tune on the album) because it hit me hard one of the first times I heard it, and Wayne Coyne's vocals are particularly gorgeous on it (though there isn't all that much of it).

tagging @El Floppo in

PICK 4.16

IF ...if I wasn't limiting my selections to one artist/one album I would be ALL over a particular selection.  Though I would be concerned about not getting this one.  

YESSSONGS - YES

This TRIPLE ALBUM live set brings 2 hours and 10 minutes of rich, lucious orchestration and Jon Anderson's vocal stylings. 

For the music people here this pick likely comes as no surprise as I have shared my love for this album often and my painting of it's inner cover on an entire wall of my bedroom many years ago.  The idea that these guys sound so good live is crazy.  Pure musicianship. 

This also is a perfect representation of the concept of "album listening" that has disappeared.  You put this bad boy on just relax.  Way too much of music gets missed these days because they aren't "hits".  Deep cuts and album flow is where it's at man.  Peace and love.  

ETA:  my 2 songs

Roundabout

still deciding between Long Distance Runaround and Starship Trooper
@KarmaPolice fyi ...

decided on "Starship Trooper" as the second song in addition to "Roundabout"

you can go ahead and do the single versions of both to cut their run time way down

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Soft Bulletin a lot but most of the Flaming Lips’ catalog misses me dispute being in my wheelhouse. Guitars? Check. Druggy? Check. Weird? Check. 

Like Sam the butcher bringing Alice the meat

Like Fred Flintstone driving around with bald feet.

4- Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique

Be back with the tunes in a bit...

Missed a chance to see them at the cat club when I was visiting NYC to look at schools in the summer of 85...my NYC friends wanted to go drinking at the west end instead. At that point, I was digging cooky ####, which was getting good air play on kusf...but their first album hadn't been released yet.

The actual Paul's Boutique was around the corner from where we've been living the last 20 years, so aside from just loving the album (which got me through a rough year of architecture studio in undergrad) it also feels close to home.

Looking down the barrel of a gun

Shadrach

I like Soft Bulletin a lot but most of the Flaming Lips’ catalog misses me dispute being in my wheelhouse. Guitars? Check. Druggy? Check. Weird? Check. 
Yeah, I didn't mean to slander albums others might be looking to take, but I mentioned the cohesion of Soft Bulletin specifically 'cause most/all of their other albums is short on that, despite great moments.

Surprised Paul’s Boutique lasted so long. It was on my list. 
Doolittle, houses of the holy, and I'm already spacing on one or two others that were my list from the previous round that all got snaked.

I have one left from that, and might take it on the rebound

Like Sam the butcher bringing Alice the meat

Like Fred Flintstone driving around with bald feet.

4- Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique

Be back with the tunes in a bit...
Ouch.   I was telling 80s last night that I am not huge in the genre, but wanted a dash of rap on my island, and of course this is one of the 2 that I had written down for Rd 4.  

Ouch.   I was telling 80s last night that I am not huge in the genre, but wanted a dash of rap on my island, and of course this is one of the 2 that I had written down for Rd 4.  
Yeah..as nige mentioned, with a bunch of middle aged white guys...this was destined to go early

Missed a chance to see them at the cat club when I was visiting NYC to look at schools in the summer of 85...my NYC friends wanted to go drinking at the west end instead. At that point, I was digging cooky ####, which was getting good air play on kusf...but their first album hadn't been released yet.

The actual Paul's Boutique was around the corner from where we've been living the last 20 years, so aside from just loving the album (which got me through a rough year of architecture studio in undergrad) it also feels close to home.

Looking down the barrel of a gun

Shadrach
I saw them on back to back nights at the Roseland Ballroom with the Rollins Band opening up in the early nineties- great shows.

I saw them on back to back nights at the Roseland Ballroom with the Rollins Band opening up in the early nineties- great shows.
I remember a lot of folk from my HS saw them open for Madonna later in 85 or 86. Most of them were :whoosh: ...but a couple got it. And then that first album dropped and the rest got it.

the worst revenge is that I live in a state that has ZERO White Castles.  They don't even have it's slightly lesser cousin, "Krystal" Burgers.  

ZERO!!!
In MD, they used to have Little Tavern, but I think they're all gone too.  Check your grocery store's frozen section; one near me has frozen White Castle sliders even though there's never been one of them anywhere  near here.

I remember a lot of folk from my HS saw them open for Madonna later in 85 or 86. Most of them were :whoosh: ...but a couple got it. And then that first album dropped and the rest got it.
It was a huge deal when Madge played SF on the Like a Virgin tour.  She was booked in the ####ty old Civic Auditorium which was one of the smaller halls she played and it seemed like everybody in town was trying to get inside.

Users who are viewing this thread