What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

Alright, I think there was some talk earlier about this band not having any good albums post-1987 but this is my favourite of theirs and the first CD I ever bought. It's weird and kind of all over the place and there isn't a bad song on it.

4.28 - U2 Achtung Baby, 1991

Tracklist - songs for the mix bolded

1."Zoo Station"

2."Even Better Than the Real Thing"

3."One"

4."Until the End of the World"

5."Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"

6."So Cruel"

7."The Fly"

8."Mysterious Ways"

9."Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World"

10."Ultraviolet (Light My Way)"

11."Acrobat"

12."Love Is Blindness"

I think it’s my favorite album by them also. I’m not a huge fan of them though - not sure why really.
I am a huge fan of them up to, and including, this album (really actively dislike much of their later catalog).  On some days this is my favorite as well.

Well damn.....I got this one in R20 the last time.  Doesn't surprise me you took it here.  

I saw them 5 times on this tour---some of the best concerts I've ever seen.  Sadly the last few albums pale in comparison and so do the live shows.   Still love them though.
One of the best brewers in Buffalo is a big music guy and will occasionally do special one-off beers for sale only at concerts for bands he likes.  I believe the first one he ever did was called Soft Bulletin for a Flaming Lips show like 10 years ago.

I will say from having seen them twice, they are a band that are one of the "I've never gotten into" bands for me, but I find their live shows mesmerizing and I'll happily see them live.

4.31 - Are You Experienced?, Jimi Hendrix Experience (North American edition)

Never imagined i'd have a shot at this (it went 1.02 15 yrs ago). It's not even my favorite Hendrix (one other is more of-a-piece) but, on my island, the thing i'm gonna miss the most, besides the obvious, is human exceptionality and this is one of the handful of records that made me different by the listening.

Foxy Lady (for my Kathy)

Hey, Joe (for Natman)

@timschochet
Pure musical genius by the guitar god.  

One of the best brewers in Buffalo is a big music guy and will occasionally do special one-off beers for sale only at concerts for bands he likes.  I believe the first one he ever did was called Soft Bulletin for a Flaming Lips show like 10 years ago.

I will say from having seen them twice, they are a band that are one of the "I've never gotten into" bands for me, but I find their live shows mesmerizing and I'll happily see them live.
(he was high)

Arcade Fire would probably make my "band I never really got" draft.  I like some of their stuff but they never really signified for me like they obviously have for others.  It's probably mostly an age thing but I like other bands from the same general period.  The fact I've never seen them play live is another factor.
They're in my age demo. I don't get it either. 

I know Jimi's guitar work is rightfully what he's known for, but I love his voice so much, too.  Well, I love everything about him.

How could there be haters of this?
his phrasing was deadly. i used to be able to mimic the talky things in his songs pretty well. and then i encountered an amazing phenomenon - a girl in school asked me how i was doing and, just for grins, i replied "not really-a stonnnnned, but BEAUtifulllllllll" from Are You Experienced. suddenly, i realized she was frozen within a desire to kiss the person who said that. i didn't cuz it was school, but twas from then i understood power. and that many of the things in Jimi's songs were originally said into someone else's mouth...

What kind of music do you usually like?  Each of their records are pretty different sounding.
Some sorta rock n roll is my wheelhouse, but I'll go in just about any direction (country, rap, jazz, folk, etc) if it's interesting. 

There’s not a singer in that gathering who isn’t 1000 times better than Morrisey. 
I ended up re-acquainting myself with this song recently, for research, and was reminded how hilarious it is that Paul Young got two full segments of the song, far more than anyone else.  He has a terrific voice, but Paul Young!

I ended up re-acquainting myself with this song recently, for research, and was reminded how hilarious it is that Paul Young got two full segments of the song, far more than anyone else.  He has a terrific voice, but Paul Young!
He got the gig because Bowie declined

ETA:  allegedly

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t bore us get to the chorus? How about an entire album of choruses? Will update with songs and provide a recently written oral history later. If you had told me in the previous draft I’d be spending a fifth rounder on this in 2020 I probably would have asked you which was the band and which was the album title. 

5.02 Guided By Voices - Alien Lanes 

Round 5 pick 4th selection

This album had an enormous impact on how I thought about social and political things.

Also it really kicks ###

Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - Dead Kennedys

Song selection: Holiday in Cambodia, California Uber Allas

Don’t bore us get to the chorus? How about an entire album of choruses? Will update with songs and provide a recently written oral history later. If you had told me in the previous draft I’d be spending a fifth rounder on this in 2020 I probably would have asked you which was the band and which was the album title. 

I also had to do this here because I couldn’t risk not getting a GBV album and there aren’t very many of them. 

OK.

I cannot abide the double snipe in back to back picks.

Do I have any recourse?  :kicksrock:

Users who are viewing this thread