What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

I will also note that with me taking Carole King, that is only the 3rd female drafted: Nico with the VU and Amy Winehouse being the other 2. Maybe you count Meg White too? 
Regine, Sarah, AND Marika say :hi:

Last edited by a moderator:
for @RedmondLonghorn

5.35 Nothing’s Shocking – Jane’s Addiction

Getting this album this late feels like a gift. It was so ahead of its time, in my opinion. And it is the perfect bridge between the harder end of 80s “college rock” and the alternative rock sound that became more widespread in the 90s. Everybody knows “Jane Says”, and it is a great song, but I picked a couple others to highlight.

Songs:

Ocean Size
Mountain Song

@Bonzai?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was inexplicably late getting into this band. Once I finally did this quickly became my favorite of theirs, but as I learned more about it my adoration for this piece of work has only grown. *Redacted* was a tight creation. This was not. This was loose. Intense. But not always. Angry. Even when it wasn’t. *Redacted* was basically a Mother Love Bone album. This was essentially their debut. Only they had already broken out. And they hated everything about it.

5.34 - Pearl Jam, Vs.

What makes their live performances so memorable is you can really feel the music. I’ve never seen an act that puts as much emotion and raw energy into their show as them. It’s not always there in their studio work. But it went above and beyond on this grunge masterpiece. I’m tensing up here just 6 songs in writing this – he won the lottery, when he was born…1-2-3-4-5 against 1…paint Ed big, turn Ed into, one of his enemies. But those principled stands they took at that time amidst enormous pressure to do otherwise that created the environment for this record to be made - it is why they’re still here today instead of enduring the fate of their contemporaries.

Animal

Rearviewmirror

@RedmondLonghorn @wikkidpissah
Man, I played the hell out of Elderly Woman and Indifference back in the day (it was a darker period for Yo Mama back then)

I was inexplicably late getting into this band. Once I finally did this quickly became my favorite of theirs, but as I learned more about it my adoration for this piece of work has only grown. *Redacted* was a tight creation. This was not. This was loose. Intense. But not always. Angry. Even when it wasn’t. *Redacted* was basically a Mother Love Bone album. This was essentially their debut. Only they had already broken out. And they hated everything about it.

5.34 - Pearl Jam, Vs.

What makes their live performances so memorable is you can really feel the music. I’ve never seen an act that puts as much emotion and raw energy into their show as them. It’s not always there in their studio work. But it went above and beyond on this grunge masterpiece. I’m tensing up here just 6 songs in writing this – he won the lottery, when he was born…1-2-3-4-5 against 1…paint Ed big, turn Ed into, one of his enemies. But those principled stands they took at that time amidst enormous pressure to do otherwise that created the environment for this record to be made - it is why they’re still here today instead of enduring the fate of their contemporaries.

Animal

Rearviewmirror

@RedmondLonghorn @wikkidpissah
I have been looking at this shaking my head for a while now.  I probably would have taken it next swing.  Solid top fifty selection right there. :hifive:

for @RedmondLonghorn

Getting this album this late feels like a gift. It was so ahead of its time, in my opinion. And it is the perfect bridge between the harder end of 80s “college rock” and the alternative rock sound that became more widespread in the 90s. Everybody knows “Jane Says”, and it is a great song, but I picked a couple others to highlight.

Songs:

Ocean Size
Mountain Song

@Bonzai?
Ah man, was really hoping to make this one my next pick. 

5.33 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

My list has been picked apart left and right, but the list of albums I love runs deep. I'll take another double album - because hey more music - this one loaded with classics:

Side one 

1."Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding"

2."Candle in the Wind"

3."Bennie and the Jets"

Side two

1."Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"

2."This Song Has No Title"

3."Grey Seal"

4."Jamaica Jerk-Off"

5."I've Seen That Movie Too"

Side three

Side three

1."Sweet Painted Lady"

2."The Ballad of Danny Bailey (1909–34)"

3."Dirty Little Girl"

4."All the Girls Love Alice"

Side four

1."Your Sister Can't Twist (But She Can Rock 'n Roll)"

2."Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting"

3."Roy Rogers"

4."Social Disease"

5."Harmony"

My picks for playlist:

Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding

All The Girls Love Alice

Man, I played the hell out of Elderly Woman and Indifference back in the day (it was a darker period for Yo Mama back then)
There have been more than a few times those songs have spoken to me given what i was going through at that particular time. Not necessarily me, personally - but if not me then someone close. And I could write something similar in regards to probably every song on this record. The emotion that's elicited from this piece of music is incredible.

for @RedmondLonghorn

Songs:

Ocean Size
Mountain Song

@Bonzai?
That dude has some good f---ing taste.

Joni Mitchell - Blue

I was getting nervous with all the chatter last page. Probably should have taken it with the last bunch, but I'm glad it's dropped to me here. I've always considered it a classic but my connection to it has grown more personal over the last few years. My wife is a huge fan and we've spent many a Tuesday evening sipping on bourbon/wine to this one. 

All I Want

My Old Man

@krista4 did the lords work today adding the years to all the missing albums, so now I can say that the breakdown as of now is:

1950s 2

1960s 30

1970s 67

1980s 36

1990s 27

2000s 15

2010s 6

If you don't mind going forward trying to put the year in the post with picks, even if just for this little bit of nerdiness that may only be of interest to me, that would be awesome.

I skipped some recent pages while snipe hunting via the second post on page 1. So, will go another way if needed. 

You nerds and the 86% empty chalkboard is both awesome and a source of anxiety. So some chalk because sometimes I still feel like they did.

Round 5

Peter Frampton Comes Alive

couple of love songs

All I Want To Be

Baby, I Love Your Way

Moment of silence probably better than any write up to which I am capable.

Joni Mitchell - Blue

I was getting nervous with all the chatter last page. Probably should have taken it with the last bunch, but I'm glad it's dropped to me here. I've always considered it a classic but my connection to it has grown more personal over the last few years. My wife is a huge fan and we've spent many a Tuesday evening sipping on bourbon/wine to this one. 

All I Want

My Old Man
Fantastic album top-to-bottom. First indirect contact with it was actually a Brazilian band doing a cover of "The Last Time I Saw Richard".

Was on my list, but I had no idea where to take it. Not sure what the big obvious playlist picks would be for this one, but "River" is so damn beautiful.

I skipped some recent pages while snipe hunting via the second post on page 1. So, will go another way if needed. 
Updated now. I think this is where we stand:

4.19Doug B-- SKIP

5.20Doug B-- SKIP

5.28Mrs Rannous-- SKIP

5.29Mr Ected-Peter Gabriel-So

5.30rcam-Supergrass-I Should Coco

5.31Hov34-Tame Impala-Currents

5.32Ilov80s-Carole King-Tapestry

5.33Dr Octopus-Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

5.34MAC 32-Pearl Jam-Vs

5.35RedmondLonghorn-Jane's Addiction-Nothing's Shocking

5.36Bonzai-Joni Mitchell-Blue

5.37simey--

5.38cosjobs--

6.0--

6.1cosjobs--

6.2simey--

6.3Bonzai--

6.4RedmondLonghorn--

6.5MAC 32--

6.6Dr Octopus--

6.7Ilov80s--

6.8Hov34--

@krista4 did the lords work today adding the years to all the missing albums, so now I can say that the breakdown as of now is:

1950s 2

1960s 30

1970s 67

1980s 36

1990s 27

2000s 15

2010s 6

If you don't mind going forward trying to put the year in the post with picks, even if just for this little bit of nerdiness that may only be of interest to me, that would be awesome.
The fact the 90s are currently the fourth most popular decade blows me away.

Fantastic album top-to-bottom. First indirect contact with it was actually a Brazilian band doing a cover of "The Last Time I Saw Richard".

Was on my list, but I had no idea where to take it. Not sure what the big obvious playlist picks would be for this one, but "River" is so damn beautiful.
Yeah, I didn't know what songs to pick. River is great. That Christmas-y element is so inviting and tender without ever being sappy. I love it.

Joni Mitchell - Blue

All I Want

My Old Man
Top notch 

Just shuffled through:

• Dead Leaves and Dirty Ground
  • Janie Jones
  • Tumbling Dice
  • Josie
  • It Ain't Hard to Tell
  • Monday
  • The Motivator
  • You Make Loving Fun