What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

My best friend growing up had five siblings that were all older than her, and three of them were Deadheads/Dead Heads. My first introduction to the Grateful Dead was hanging out at my friend's house, and her sisters playing their music. The family was originally from NJ, and they spent every summer in Cape May. I remember riding up to Cape May with my friend and a couple of her sister's and them playing lots of Dead, and this album that I'm choosing was my favorite. They are known for their live music, but I want the album that first attracted me to them. I attended many of their shows in the 80s, and some of the 90s, and always had a great time. I enjoyed the tailgating as much as the shows. It was like a giant flea market with music, booze, drugs, nitrous balloons, hare krishnas, and the smell of pot and patchouli floating in the air. Good times.

Round 5

American Beauty - Grateful Dead

Ripple

Box of Rain

My best friend growing up had five siblings that were all older than her, and three of them were Deadheads/Dead Heads. My first introduction to the Grateful Dead was hanging out at my friend's house, and her sisters playing their music. The family was originally from NJ, and they spent every summer in Cape May. I remember riding up to Cape May with my friend and a couple of her sister's and them playing lots of Dead, and this album that I'm choosing was my favorite. They are known for their live music, but I want the album that first attracted me to them. I attended many of their shows in the 80s, and some of the 90s, and always had a great time. I enjoyed the tailgating as much as the shows. It was like a giant flea market with music, booze, drugs, nitrous balloons, hare krishnas, and the smell of pot and patchouli floating in the air. Good times.

Round 5

Ripple

Box of Rain
When I was contemplating joining last night, this was my 1.xx of that which was left. Love this pick. I'm surprised that you're not a fan of their other great studio effort, though, which is more countrified.

Just shuffled through:

• Dead Leaves and Dirty Ground
  • Janie Jones
  • Tumbling Dice
  • Josie
  • It Ain't Hard to Tell
  • Monday
  • The Motivator
  • You Make Loving Fun
  • The Unforgettable Fire
  • Lip Service
  • Dreams
  • Black Like Me
  • Half Light II
Aside from the obvious pro-Tasker bias, it really doesn't get better :thumbup:
Half Light II feels so Springsteen influenced to me.

I'm going to draft an island.  I like a nice temperate climate and had asked earlier (twice) if the existing fauna would be on the island, because I wasn't going to take this one due to the grizzlies.  I'll assume the fauna won't be there, or that if the bears are, they will be more like Yogi and Boo-Boo and less like those that Timothy Treadwell tried to befriend.

Vancouver Island
lolz. Well played. 

I was inexplicably late getting into this band. Once I finally did this quickly became my favorite of theirs, but as I learned more about it my adoration for this piece of work has only grown. *Redacted* was a tight creation. This was not. This was loose. Intense. But not always. Angry. Even when it wasn’t. *Redacted* was basically a Mother Love Bone album. This was essentially their debut. Only they had already broken out. And they hated everything about it.

5.34 - Pearl Jam, Vs.

What makes their live performances so memorable is you can really feel the music. I’ve never seen an act that puts as much emotion and raw energy into their show as them. It’s not always there in their studio work. But it went above and beyond on this grunge masterpiece. I’m tensing up here just 6 songs in writing this – he won the lottery, when he was born…1-2-3-4-5 against 1…paint Ed big, turn Ed into, one of his enemies. But those principled stands they took at that time amidst enormous pressure to do otherwise that created the environment for this record to be made - it is why they’re still here today instead of enduring the fate of their contemporaries.

Animal

Rearviewmirror

@RedmondLonghorn @wikkidpissah
Well, #### - I misread the drafters for this one.  I honestly thought the other would go first and I could wait a little bit on Vs.  Might have to get a little weird for my PJ fix now.  

Good pick!! 

Round 5

Ripple

Box of Rain
I wanted this for the Attics of my life,  but there are so many live options so I waited. Plus I didn't remember you were a Head.  Not many in here I would guess.

When I was contemplating joining last night, this was my 1.xx of that which was left. Love this pick. I'm surprised that you're not a fan of their other great studio effort, though, which is more countrified.
I am a fan of their other studio album that came out the same year, but American Beauty is my favorite of the two.

I am a fan of their other studio album that came out the same year, but American Beauty is my favorite of the two.
I would have went this way too, although my favorite tune is on the other.   A quickie mart stole the name fwiw.

Nice. I spoke wrong. I meant that I was surprised it wasn't maybe your favorite. But you're incredibly diverse enough to where it's more just an observation than a pigeon-holing. It's more about the albums than your taste, really. They both are sitting front row and center in my collection. Love 'em. 

my first 10 shuffle ...  :thumbup:

Off the Wall - MJ

Closet Chronicles - Kansas

Cities - Talking Heads

Mambo Sun - TRex

Guiding Light - Television 

Ten Years Gone - Zep

Digital Love - Daft Punk

Temptation - New Order

Intervention - Arcade Fuego

Another Star - Stevie Wonder 

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Velvet Underground was second skip.  Luckily Shadrach was next!  Yay!

Great Pick on Graceland.

5.33 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

My list has been picked apart left and right, but the list of albums I love runs deep. I'll take another double album - because hey more music - this one loaded with classics:

Side one 

1."Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding"

2."Candle in the Wind"

3."Bennie and the Jets"

Side two

1."Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"

2."This Song Has No Title"

3."Grey Seal"

4."Jamaica Jerk-Off"

5."I've Seen That Movie Too"

Side three

Side three

1."Sweet Painted Lady"

2."The Ballad of Danny Bailey (1909–34)"

3."Dirty Little Girl"

4."All the Girls Love Alice"

Side four

1."Your Sister Can't Twist (But She Can Rock 'n Roll)"

2."Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting"

3."Roy Rogers"

4."Social Disease"

5."Harmony"

My picks for playlist:

Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding

All The Girls Love Alice
I feel bad for sniping All Things Must Pass from you, but you had a great recovery here.  :)

@krista4 did the lords work today adding the years to all the missing albums, so now I can say that the breakdown as of now is:

1950s 2

1960s 30

1970s 67

1980s 36

1990s 27

2000s 15

2010s 6

If you don't mind going forward trying to put the year in the post with picks, even if just for this little bit of nerdiness that may only be of interest to me, that would be awesome.
:hifive:   Figured that looked like a PITA so I should do it.  

my first 10 shuffle ...  :thumbup:

Off the Wall - MJ

Closet Chronicles - Kansas

Cities - Talking Heads

Mambo Sun - TRex

Guiding Light - Television 

Ten Years Gone - Zep

Digital Love - Daft Punk

Temptation - New Order

Intervention - Arcade Fuego

Another Star - Stevie Wonder 

:popcorn:
nice ...here's how I'm viewing my album list so far 

1)  NOT "All Things Must Pass" - George Harrison

2)  NOT "All Things Must Pass" - George Harrison

3)  NOT "All Things Must Pass" - George Harrison

4)  NOT "All Things Must Pass" - George Harrison

5)  NOT "All Things Must Pass" - George Harrison

I haven't "let go" yet.

that's right krista ...looking out of your mountain estate ...that could be me, in marmot form, on your deck railing ...screaming 

wife is telling me I'm focusing on the negatives.

I don't see it.

Odd. I don't like (bordering more on despise or hate) the Lilith Fair/Emo rock of the mid-late 90s but there was some damn good music during that decade. 
 I hate most Hair Metal from the early 90's, but like the Grunge that came out of it.  Late 90's was a mess overall, but had some greatness in some spots.

I’m not a player, so I’m sure he’s technically proficient and better than he sounds. I just find his playing mostly boring and the “nailing a sound” part while true is sort of why. He always sounds the same to me.
To me also.  Too much production and not enough "feels".  I find it annoying.

nice ...here's how I'm viewing my album list so far 

1)  NOT "All Things Must Pass" - George Harrison

2)  NOT "All Things Must Pass" - George Harrison

3)  NOT "All Things Must Pass" - George Harrison

4)  NOT "All Things Must Pass" - George Harrison

5)  NOT "All Things Must Pass" - George Harrison

I haven't "let go" yet.

that's right krista ...looking out of your mountain estate ...that could be me, in marmot form, on your deck railing ...screaming 

wife is telling me I'm focusing on the negatives.

I don't see it.
Shhhh, don't interrupt me.  I'm reading every post you've ever made in this forum to analyze what you might plan to take next.

R5, pick 83773

Monterey International Pop Festival [30th Anniversary Box Set]

I'll link a couple of songs shortly

Disc: 1

1. Festival Introduction - John Phillips

2. Along Comes Mary - The Association

3. Windy - The Association

4. Love Is A Hurtin' Thing - Lou Rawls

5. Dead End Street - Lou Rawls

6. Tobacco Road - Lou Rawls

7. San Franciscan Nights - Eric Burdon/The Animals

8. Hey Gyp - Eric Burdon/The Animals

9. Rollin' And Tumblin' - Canned Heat

10. Dust My Broom - Canned Heat

11. Bullfrog Blues - Canned Heat

12. Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine - Country Joe & The Fish

13. Down On Me - Big Brother & The Holding Company

14. Combination Of The Two - Big Brother & The Holding Company

15. Harry - Big Brother & The Holding Company

16. Road Block - Big Brother & The Holding Company

17. Ball And Chain - Big Brother & The Holding Company

Disc: 2

1. Look Over Yonders Wall - The Butterfield Blues Band

2. Mystery Train - The Butterfield Blues Band

3. Born In Chicago - The Butterfield Blues Band

4. Double Trouble - The Butterfield Blues Band

5. Marry Ann - The Butterfield Blues Band

6. Mercury Blues - The Steve Miller Band

7. Groovin' Is Easy - The Electric Flag

8. Wine - The Electric Flag

9. Bajabula Bonke (Healing Song) - Hugh Masekela

10. Renaissance Fair - The Byrds

11. Have You Seen Her Face - The Byrds

12. Hey Joe (Where You Gonna Go) - The Byrds

13. He Was A Friend Of Mine - The Byrds

14. Lady Friend - The Byrds

15. Chimes Of Freedom - The Byrds

16. So You Wanna Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star - The Byrds

17. Dhun: Fast Teental (Excerpt) - Ravi Shanker

18. The Flute Thing

Disc: 3

1. Somebody To Love - Jefferson Airplane

2. The Other Side Of This Life - Jefferson Airplane

3. White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

4. High Flyin' Bird - Jefferson Airplane

5. She Has Funny Cars - Jefferson Airplane

6. Booker-Loo - Booker T & The MG's

7. Hip Hug-Her - Booker T & The MG's

8. Philly Dog - Booker T & The MG's/The Mar-Keys

9. Shake - Otis Redding

10. Respect - Otis Redding

11. I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now) - Otis Redding

12. Satisfaction - Otis Redding

13. Try A Little Tenderness - Otis Redding

14. Substitute - The Who

15. Summertime Blues - The Who

16. Pictures Of Lily - The Who

17. A Quick One While He's Away - The Who

18. Happy Jack - The Who

19. My Generation - The Who

Disc: 4

1. Killing Floor - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

2. Foxy Lady - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

3. Like A Rolling Stone - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

4. Rock Me Baby - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

5. Hey Joe - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

6. Can You See Me - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

7. The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

8. Purple Haze - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

9. Wild Thing - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

10. Straight Shooter - The Mamas & The Papas

11. Got A Feelin' - The Mamas & The Papas

12. California Dreamin' - The Mamas & The Papas

13. I Call Your Name - The Mamas & The Papas

14. Monday, Monday - The Mamas & The Papas

15. San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair) - Scott McKenzie

16. Dancing In The Streets - The Mamas & The Papas

Just saw the thread title update.  Can I join in and catch up?  Reading Tim's 1971 countdown is making me mad, but instead of drinking and making fun of him I'd rather drink and join in the festivities here.  Outside a handful of obvious picks, I won't be sniping anyone here.
Oh damn~

Also: lol

Users who are viewing this thread