What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Booger Be Gone (1 Viewer)

Glad Booger is gone...he was awful and the reason I watched ABCs draft coverage over ESPN.

Joe may have been ok with a competent partner.

Huh. Never fun to express glee over somebody losing a dream job they enjoy, but Booger was not a very good commentator. I will say this: They've got to give whoever else comes in time to learn and to grow. Not everybody is going to walk into the booth and be Tony Romo. 
:goodposting:

Tony Romo was horrible his first year. He never stopped talking. Which I understand, he knows a lot, but he didnt need to vomit it all to us. I think he learned and now he is great
Hmm, I actually thought Romo was at his best his first year. Then he kind of got neutered a little bit. He's still one of the best guys, but that first year, I thought he was maybe the best color commentator ever. He just analyzed and described things on the fly, that no other announcer really did/does. I still remember one of his first games, where he was breaking down the different reads and hot routes a QB/WR make at the line, when facing cover 1, cover 2, or cover 3 looks. Then in the afternoon game, the announcers were throwing out gems like, "Boy, that Tyreek Hill is fast!"

After that first year, CBS(I assume) told him to focus less on describing the hows and whys in real time, and do more play predictions(as he'd hit on a high %) and more storyline of the game driven stuff. That is fine, but its just not quite the same, and not as good to me. Maybe I'm in the minority(I'm sure I'm more attentive than the average fan) but the how/why is a lot more interesting to me than the who/what. I can see the who/what(its not radio) for myself.

On the main topic. I'll miss Booger. I kinda liked him, I mean he was terrible, but I'd gladly take terrible over average. I want either great commentary(SNF) or awful commentary(MNF) nothing is worse to me than decent commentary that is just instantly forgettable background noise(Buck/Aikman) Booger always seemed energetic at least, and that is a big bonus to me. Why should I care about what is happening if it doesn't sound like the announcers do?

Tony Romo was horrible his first year. He never stopped talking. Which I understand, he knows a lot, but he didnt need to vomit it all to us. I think he learned and now he is great
Huh. I thought Romo was a natural, but tastes certainly vary. The Romo thread in the FFA is basically fifteen of us talking about how awesome Romo is, and mr. furley, who thinks he stinks.

I do like him a lot, I think hes the best of all of them. His first year was a bit distracting from the game

Point remains, good broadcasters are hard to come by... 
I figured you did. I was just talking to shoot the breeze, make a distinction, what have you.

Point does remain. Not an easy profession. It's probably a bit like acting. One has no idea how bad one could be at it until cameras roll and you're on, baby. 

I am not sad about Booger’s departure. 

on the radio this AM dude said, “he brought a unique perspective”

which is like saying “pruno brings a unique perspective to the wine genre”.

Given their recent history, the replacement may not be an upgrade. :shrug:  

I’m on Booger Island, because I actually liked the guy. He definitely was not as bad as you guys made him out to be.
I never was a fan personally, but get where you are coming from -- he can be entertaining, but not in a way that can help carry a three hour color commentary broadcast.

I will say one thing -- you are right that no one who takes up the mantle is going to be as bad as we're going to make them out to be. Seems people will unhappy with the MNF crew no matter who they were unless you are Al Michaels and the corpse of Howard Cosell. 

You ask me they should hire away Kevin Harlan and Romo.

'

ESPN should make Greg Olsen an offer he can't refuse.  He was really good in the games he has done the last couple of years.

Booger was terrible and his sideline setup was really stupid.

You all know it'll be Beth Mowins. It's a given IMO.

She's not bad but she calls every single play as if it's a game breaking play. lol
Ugh, that's probably a good call with "progressive" ESPN.

As to your second sentence, that wouldn't be any different than Tessitore.

I would imagine that whoever ESPN puts in there they'll continue to call each other by nicknames instead of their actual names. Boog? Tess? Wit?

I think one of the problems with Booger/Joe....is that this was a dream job for both of them....and they acted like it.....it was just a little too much from both of them....on like every play

Dream team for sure, but to my earlier point about fans never being satisfied no matter who it is, remember that even Gifford (a gold standard in his role in the booth, IMO) was criticized himself by fans while in the job for his performance.
That never once bothered Kathie Lee. She said Frank had a tremendous butt.

I still don’t understand why they had him as one of the analysts during the draft. I don’t think he’s great on tv, but Matthew Berry or some other fantasy guy would be a great addition. Give us not only the breakdown of the player from football guys, but give us the instant take on how the pick affects fantasy. Hard to believe it’s not actually happened by now.

I still don’t understand why they had him as one of the analysts during the draft. I don’t think he’s great on tv, but Matthew Berry or some other fantasy guy would be a great addition. Give us not only the breakdown of the player from football guys, but give us the instant take on how the pick affects fantasy. Hard to believe it’s not actually happened by now.
Just to be clear, my intent was never to pick on Booger.  I just thought his role was too big, maybe just the sideline reporter job would have been a good spot for him.

Booger got into Emmitt Smith territory where there were compilation videos of his often nonsensical takes on things,, along with his malaprops. There were also instant Twitter means on many of his quotes (which were meant to mock him). When one is regularly made a laughing stock on social media, it is usually just a matter of time before you are shown the door. 
Yep every sportscenter post on FB, the first comment would be a gif of booger, and then a stupid rant about the picture they posted that was spot on as something he would actually say. 

it won’t be hard for mnf to be better than those two....

I was not a Booger fan, but I think there are worse.  Tessitore on the other hand.....that guy is the worst.  So happy he is gone.  Every play was huge and great and epic and every player or coach was just such an outstanding human being at the absolute top of their profession.  The guy would never criticize anyone.  No one ever made a bad play someone else just happened to best them by making an even greater play.  And the constant hyping of other ESPN programming was nauseating. 

ICON211 said:
I was not a Booger fan, but I think there are worse.  Tessitore on the other hand.....that guy is the worst.  So happy he is gone.  Every play was huge and great and epic and every player or coach was just such an outstanding human being at the absolute top of their profession.  The guy would never criticize anyone.  No one ever made a bad play someone else just happened to best them by making an even greater play.  And the constant hyping of other ESPN programming was nauseating. 
I think all network telecasts are veering that way. You're not going to get a true sense of the game anymore unless you're talking among friends or online with people who at least care and have some knowledge about the game. Not necessarily a pro's knowledge, but a working knowledge is enough -- nobody shares that pro knowledge but Romo, anyway. 

You all know it'll be Beth Mowins. It's a given IMO.

She's not bad but she calls every single play as if it's a game breaking play. lol
I like her.  My biggest problem with her is that every game I've heard her call she's given the absolute worst color guy the network can force upon her.  I think she did a game with Rex Ryan where he spent the first drive completely silent.

Users who are viewing this thread