What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid-19 In Season Dynasty Ideas (1 Viewer)

Kevrunner

Footballguy
Are your dynasty leagues doing anything in case of players testing positive during the season?  My league has already done our rookie draft and have started our weekly blind bidding.  One owner wants to expand roster roster size, I don’t think that should even be an option since we already have made draft picks and blind bids based on our current roster size.   We have 3 IR spots that we use during the season, we could use/raise that.  The best idea I can think of that is fair would be to create a taxi squad where you could place Covid-19 players on while they are out.  

Seems like a good idea to be proactive. Easiest way would be to increase IR spots by 3-5 (or even unlimited?) but only allow the additional IR spots to be used for confirmed COVID? Not sure if that will be fully disclosed, though. 

Seems like a good idea to be proactive. Easiest way would be to increase IR spots by 3-5 (or even unlimited?) but only allow the additional IR spots to be used for confirmed COVID? Not sure if that will be fully disclosed, though. 
Thanks for your reply, your post made me realize that the player(s) might not be identified as having Covid, for privacy reasons, they might just be listed as “out”.   

I would be more concerned about having rules in place for an abbreviated season.  Will it be official if there are only X games played?  When there was talk of a strike before we came up with something like 13 games to be a "complete" season (we don't have playoffs.....best record for the entire season is the league champ).  If there was less games than that it would carry over.  If there were 13 or more the season counted as complete. 

Players getting the virus and missing games is similar to any other injury or sickness.  Seems straight forward although it seems reasonable to just add IR slots to account for the possible increase of "out" players. 

I would be more concerned about having rules in place for an abbreviated season.  Will it be official if there are only X games played?  When there was talk of a strike before we came up with something like 13 games to be a "complete" season (we don't have playoffs.....best record for the entire season is the league champ).  If there was less games than that it would carry over.  If there were 13 or more the season counted as complete. 

Players getting the virus and missing games is similar to any other injury or sickness.  Seems straight forward although it seems reasonable to just add IR slots to account for the possible increase of "out" players. 
I say only allow extra IR spots for covid 19 and leave it the same for everything else.  These are special circumstances.  No one could foresee a pandemic.  It's not like other sicknesses or injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
idk, young people are affected in a very minor way. It's possible it's like the NBA where so many athletes tested positive and had no symptoms, making this far less worse for the nfl athletes than a flu epidemic. Aside from Tom Brady, I'm not sure many of them have a lot to worry about. 
I don't know if you are a medical doctor or not, but there's a lot wrong about these claims.

• What rate of NBA athletes actually tested positive with no symptoms?  Do you have data on this?
  • Why should we assume that NBA players are a representative sample of anything?
  • Young people are LESS LIKELY to experience severe illness.  That's a much different statement than saying "young people are affected in a very minor way."  CDC data indicates that people ages 18-49 represent about 20-25% of hospitalizations for COVID in a given week.  Of course, it's possible people in this age group represent an outsize part of the population, too.  Frankly, trying to crunch these numbers got to be too difficult.  But if you have data to share, I'd be interested to see it.
  • While players may be young and healthy, they do not live in a bubble, and I don't think there's a reasonable expectation that players are going to accept living in full-scale quarantine for 4-5 months.  You have completely discounted the aspect that asymptomatic players pose a risk for family members.  And let's not forget all the personnel who may not be 25 years old - coaches, trainers, officials, etc.
  • Finally, I don't know if there's hard statistical evidence on this yet, but obviously there has been significant anecdotal evidence that indicates that having COVID symptoms is a lot worse than having the flu.  I don't know what world you've been living in, but most young people who get the flu recover and move on.  Most adults who get the flu recover and move on.  COVID is causing residual health problems, even in young people.  Anecdotally, I know of people in my circles who are in their 30s, active and healthy, with non-permanent but significant respiratory problems that lingered long after their influenza-like symptoms went away.  Reports of lasting organ damage and inflammation have been well-documented.  In fairness, we don't have a statistical look, but it's bizarre to just wave it away.

I'm not going to even get in this debate with you  because theres a lot of misinformation I h what you've said. 

However, to speak as if theres documented long term effects for something that's been around probably only since October is a little much IMO

I was referring to articles where the NBA athletes tested positive but had no symptoms at all. Google can help you with that. 

I'll agree to disagree here and move on back to topic

Several leagues don’t allow “out” as eligible for IR, so if you play in a short bench league that doesn’t allow Out as qualifying for IR, you might be SOL. IMO there’s it much to do from a fantasy standpoint that wouldn't be too difficult to police to prevent abuse
Perhaps I'm derailing the thread, but you have a fascinating definition of "misinformation."

- You wrote:  "It's possible it's like the NBA where so many athletes tested positive and had no symptoms."

Yes, some NBA players were asymptomatic.  Yes, we all saw the reports on the news of INDIVIDUAL players being asymptomatic.  What does this mean for the whole?  I asked if you have evidence to back up your point that "so many" NBA players were asymptomatic, and your response is that I'm the victim of misinformation?  Who is the one making unsubstantiated claims?  By all means, share the testing data from the 30 NBA teams.

- The following medical journals have published early studies on organ damage:  JAMA Cardiology, JAMA Neurology, Kidney International and the Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis.  These are the ones I'm aware of; there may be others.  But perhaps they too are subject to misinformation?

I don't think any of this is off-topic.  There's a very real possibility that some players may choose to sit out the season.  Some may choose to leave mid-season.  You can believe whatever you want.  You can declare that the flu is more serious than COVID-19.  Some NFL players may even believe that.  Why would we apply your beliefs to the whole of the NFL?

So yes, actual facts, actual data, actual trends and actual research are useful to inform what we think may happen this NFL season and how dynasty leagues are preparing for it.

do you allow "Out" players to be put on IR?

Do you plan to "police" this so it's not abused by being used for a guy out with a knee injury week to week? 
In my league we don’t allow “Out” to be placed on IR, but since this looks like the best solution from some of the replies, for this year and this year only, I think we will end up adding 3 additional spots to IR and allow players listed as “Out” to be included.  Regardless of the reason they are listed out, then it will be no reason to police it.  However, if it ends up that the NFL teams have to identify that the player is out because of Covid, then we will more than likely only let those players be allowed to be place on the IR, it would be nice if MFL site identifies them with a (C) next to their name, that would make it easy to police.

Users who are viewing this thread