What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Will Be The Effect Of Expanded Rosters On Fantasy Football? (1 Viewer)

HairyGOATee

Footballguy
What Will Be The Effect Of Expanded Rosters On Fantasy Football?

Do you think we'll see more gadget players?

Will elite players be better off or worse off?  What about middle-of-the pack players?

Will there be any noticeable effect at all?

Maybe we can finally start having larger starting rosters(and larger rosters in general) and at least some of the "luck" part of fantasy football will be minimized.

Nah, must football fans, and by extension fantasy football fans, don't want ANY changes. At all costs. To hear them tell it the world is going to implode in on itself because there might be 17 regular season games instead of 16 regular season games. The horror.

Maybe we can finally start having larger starting rosters(and larger rosters in general) and at least some of the "luck" part of fantasy football will be minimized.

Nah, must football fans, and by extension fantasy football fans, don't want ANY changes. At all costs. To hear them tell it the world is going to implode in on itself because there might be 17 regular season games instead of 16 regular season games. The horror.
I like expanding the regular season. I hope they go to 18 games, 2 preseason games, and then expand rosters to where only 3-5 people max are healthy scratches. 

But I do think we may see some more marginal players, and that may also create an opportunity for more late round rookies and UDFAs to get some meaningful snaps, and perhaps even steal a job away. We've seen it happen many times before.

Do you not want any changes? If you do, then what kind of changes do you want to see?

Also,  I'm very curious to see how fantasy plays out when the season and playoffs are both expanded. I'm kinda hoping that a full 18 week fantasy season can be played. Honestly, this last point is worthy of its own thread.

What Will Be The Effect Of Expanded Rosters On Fantasy Football?

Do you think we'll see more gadget players?

Will elite players be better off or worse off?  What about middle-of-the pack players?

Will there be any noticeable effect at all?
No noticeable affect.   Any random QB/RB/WR/TE that would have been on a practice roster on a 53 team squad but makes it because it's increased, should not be on any fantasy team imo.

Dr. BD said:
much like these threads. can count on them this time of year like I can count on the sun rising in the east

Next will be who is the toughest qb in the league
Depends on how you define toughness. If we talking taking hits and fighting through contact without injuries, then MAYBE it's Dak. But most active starts belong to Rivers and Russ Wilson, so maybe it's them.

Deamon said:
No noticeable affect.   Any random QB/RB/WR/TE that would have been on a practice roster on a 53 team squad but makes it because it's increased, should not be on any fantasy team imo.
Yeah, but there are teams who already carried 8 OL, so they do get an extra player and then the PS player like you mentioned. But I'd probably just use those extra spots on a 3rd RB and then a defensive player. 3rd RB prolly doesn't factor in unless my work horse goes down.

Do you not want any changes? If you do, then what kind of changes do you want to see?
I would have liked to seen a 20 game season where players only played a maximum of 16 games with multiple bye weeks to be honest. I'd also like to see rosters increased to 60+ so players could get more developmental time as backups would actually have to play in meaningful games even without injuries and the multiple bye weeks would give players that actually are hurt more chances to rest and recuperate so we saw healthier players on the field(and maybe longer careers as a result). Yes, the owners make more money..... but the players also make more money and aren't subject to any more injury risk. Actually less long term risk if they are less compelled to play while they are hurt.

If the NFL had ONE preseason game on the first weekend of August, started the season in the middle of August and ended the regular season in the middle of January that would be ideal to me. With the expanded rosters the three and a half preseason games to decide who makes the last roster spot or two would be even less needed than it is right now imo. As long as the SB is played before March Madness starts I really couldn't possible care less if the SB is played at the start of February or the end of February. I'm pretty shocked there's such a vocal % of fans that would rather be subjected to over a month of meaningless preseason games rather than a few games that MEAN SOMETHING and have a mix of bench players. Fans are already watching bench players for the entire month of August play meaningless games and paying full price for the privilege! Baffling. "But, but..... CHANGE".

Yeah, but there are teams who already carried 8 OL, so they do get an extra player and then the PS player like you mentioned. But I'd probably just use those extra spots on a 3rd RB and then a defensive player. 3rd RB prolly doesn't factor in unless my work horse goes down.
Right but the player that they would be keeping on the active roster would be a 4th/5th RB or 7th WR on THAT team.  When has that type of player ever made any fantasy impact?  (And I'm not talking injuries where they BECOME the starter/backup, but a fully healthy team where a fringe roster spot guy actually plays that game and has a fantasy impact)

Right but the player that they would be keeping on the active roster would be a 4th/5th RB or 7th WR on THAT team.  When has that type of player ever made any fantasy impact?  (And I'm not talking injuries where they BECOME the starter/backup, but a fully healthy team where a fringe roster spot guy actually plays that game and has a fantasy impact)
Well, there are teams that just carry 2 RBs, but I guess the FB can also be viewed as the 3rd RB, and specifically with the Cowboys, if Zeke and Pollard both went down with injury in the same game, they probably would have used the FB and Tavon Austin. Perhaps a WR, LB, or DB just for their athletic tools. 

Well, there are teams that just carry 2 RBs, but I guess the FB can also be viewed as the 3rd RB, and specifically with the Cowboys, if Zeke and Pollard both went down with injury in the same game, they probably would have used the FB and Tavon Austin. Perhaps a WR, LB, or DB just for their athletic tools. 
2?  I don't know any teams that only had 2 RB's on the 53 man roster.  The average in the NFL is FOUR.  Fullbacks are also becoming obsolete, so you can't really count that.

You'd be carrying a guy on your fantasy team that wouldn't get a carry unless at least 2 RB's (likely 3-4 for most teams) got hurt in the same game?  Seriously?

Deamon said:
2?  I don't know any teams that only had 2 RB's on the 53 man roster.  The average in the NFL is FOUR.  Fullbacks are also becoming obsolete, so you can't really count that.

You'd be carrying a guy on your fantasy team that wouldn't get a carry unless at least 2 RB's (likely 3-4 for most teams) got hurt in the same game?  Seriously?
Cowboys only had 2 on gamedays. Zeke and Tony Pollard. I was really hoping they'd give Tavon some snaps at RB, but that never came to fruition.

Cowboys only had 2 on gamedays. Zeke and Tony Pollard. I was really hoping they'd give Tavon some snaps at RB, but that never came to fruition.
This is EXTREMELY rare.  They were the only team in the NFL that did this.

That being said, let's say they did keep Morris as their 3rd RB on game days.  Would you actually roster him in ANY league??? (again, this is given that Zeke and Pollard are healthy).  Even deep leagues wouldn't roster Morris in this situation.

And the 31 other NFL teams you DEFINITELY wouldn't roster the 4th RB that the team carried due to expanded rosters.

I expect the expanded rosters to allow teams to have deeper Special Teams players and more gameday linemen.   

Overall, it will drive down salaries by increasing the supply of players.  I suspect QB salaries will adjust soon to the new rules protecting QBs, increasing the supply. 

Just my two cents. 

If the NFL had ONE preseason game on the first weekend of August, started the season in the middle of August
I don't think they would ever do that. Years ago they once started the regular season on Labor day weekend and the ratings were disastrous

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they would ever do that. Years ago they once started the regular season on Labor day weekend and the ratings were disastrous
Ya, no chance they start the season in August.  It's hot, people are on vacation, and many other factors.  If anything it'll just go longer, there's no real reason the season can't go into late February if they need to make it longer.

Depends on how you define toughness. If we talking taking hits and fighting through contact without injuries, then MAYBE it's Dak. But most active starts belong to Rivers and Russ Wilson, so maybe it's them.
Jameis Winston was involved in more tackle attempts than any other QB.

Yep I remember when I was in my 20s having football games on in the background of parties down the shore. They will never go back to having NFL opening weekend be an afterthought to people enjoying the last days of summer.

Oh, to be clear I don't think they will ever do that either. I'm saying they SHOULD do that.

When they negotiate TV contracts with the networks and streaming services I think they look at the season as a whole and the amount of content. Do you honestly think they would make LESS money with 20 regular season games of content? I simply don't. 

IMO a regular season game on Labor Day still gets a TON more ratings than your average August preseason game now.

For some reason there is some lingering misconception that roster size has increased. It hasn't. Two relevant things changed:

1. Active rosters on gameday increased from 46 to 48, but one of them must be OL.
  2. 1-2 practice squad players can be elevated to the active roster each week. But they remain PS players and have to return to PS after gameday unless the team otherwise clears a spot on the 53 man roster. A given PS player has to go through waivers to return to the PS starting the third time he is activated on gameday.
I really don't see these changes having any effect on fantasy. If a PS player was good enough to be fantasy relevant, he wouldn't be on the PS and able to be signed by any other team. And the 47th active player (the non-OL) is not likely to have any fantasy relevance.

This is EXTREMELY rare.  They were the only team in the NFL that did this.

That being said, let's say they did keep Morris as their 3rd RB on game days.  Would you actually roster him in ANY league??? (again, this is given that Zeke and Pollard are healthy).  Even deep leagues wouldn't roster Morris in this situation.

And the 31 other NFL teams you DEFINITELY wouldn't roster the 4th RB that the team carried due to expanded rosters.
I wouldn't, but I know some people who would, lol. But that's not saying much because those people decide to roster some people at the tail end of their team just for kicks and giggles and to show support for their favorite teams.

But if the 3rd RB was a pass-catching back, I might have considered it.

I wouldn't, but I know some people who would, lol. But that's not saying much because those people decide to roster some people at the tail end of their team just for kicks and giggles and to show support for their favorite teams.

But if the 3rd RB was a pass-catching back, I might have considered it.
But again, there was one team in the whole league who didn't roster at least 3RBs.  So we're really talking about the 4th RB... no one is rostering that dude.

Users who are viewing this thread