What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Van Jefferson, PIT (1 Viewer)

Went undrafted and grabbed him off waivers immediately after the draft ended. Praying this ends up the steal of all steals. (i had no picks in a 4rnd rookie draft)

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don’t know much about this guy. The depth of this class is astounding. Him and Cephus are on my watch list.
You are right about the depth of this WR class, but it is not merely the depth; the star-potential quality of this class is tremendous.  Lamb, Jeudy, J. Jefferson, Ruggs, Raegor, Aiyuk, Higgins, Pittman, Shanault, Edwards, Mims, V. Jefferson, Claypool (off the top of my head, so I am sure I missed a couple) . . . the list goes on.  I am sure they will not all hit, but this is such a loaded class!  This is the year to try to add an extra pick or two in the second and third rounds of your rookie dynasty drafts.

Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp are obviously still the incumbent starting receivers; however, Van Jefferson could be setting himself up for a nice opportunity to compete with Josh Reynolds for playing time in three wide receiver sets.

What does Rams drafting Van Jefferson mean for Kupp, Reynolds?

Excerpts:

Both Reynolds and Kupp will be free agents in 2021 and neither is certain to return to the Rams. It would seem obvious that the Rams would re-sign Kupp, who emerged as a well-rounded receiver last season, but that’s not a given.

Jefferson is a steady receiver who does just about everything well, similar to the way Kupp and Robert Woods play. He can line up at any wide receiver spot and succeed, using his route-running savvy to win one-on-one.

Kupp’s role won’t be impacted in 2020, but Reynolds’ certainly will. Jefferson will undoubtedly eat into his snaps, with both players likely splitting snaps as the No. 3 receiver. Furthermore, the Rams are expected to use their tight ends more, which will limit each receiver’s playing time.

The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue reports "it’s pretty hard for Rams coaches and teammates to stay even-keeled" about second-round WR Van Jefferson.

Jefferson has impressed with his ability to learn every receiver position. “We want to be able to have guys that are versatile that can play all over the formation,” coach Sean McVay said. “And I think that’s one of the things we liked so much about Van, is he can certainly win isolations outside, he can work inside on option routes where he understands how to work leverages and recognize coverage contours. … And you can see, kind of like what we’ve talked about ever since we drafted him, he’s got a knack for the game. Football just makes sense to him.” Jefferson was widely panned as a second-round reach, but it was not his ability to grasp the "little things" that was in question. It was his college production. Jefferson has an uncertain Dynasty league future. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 24, 2020, 10:48 PM ET

Definitely getting more and more McLaurin vibes from this guy (though he won't have anywhere near the opportunity Terry had, barring injury). Like McLaurin, he's on nearly all of my rosters simply because he was a high pick that was still available round 3+. Here's to hoping we won the lottery two years in a row, everyone.

Van Jefferson is a boss. I hear he smokes Jalen Ramsey every practice. Get out of my face with that breakout age noise. 

Man don’t know if I can see redraft value without an injury, unless it is a very deep league.

dynasty I was able to trade up and get him in 3 or my 5 leagues and feeling great about it

Man don’t know if I can see redraft value without an injury, unless it is a very deep league.

dynasty I was able to trade up and get him in 3 or my 5 leagues and feeling great about it
Yeah I mean he’d have to in a way beat out Everett’s contributions as well as Reynolds and force McVay back to more 11 personnel. I don’t think he has too much trouble passing Reynolds and the offense did support 3 wrs in the past. Of course that was before they had a contributing TE in Higbee. I understand they ran a lot more 2 te personnel down the stretch last year?

Yeah I mean he’d have to in a way beat out Everett’s contributions as well as Reynolds and force McVay back to more 11 personnel. I don’t think he has too much trouble passing Reynolds and the offense did support 3 wrs in the past. Of course that was before they had a contributing TE in Higbee. I understand they ran a lot more 2 te personnel down the stretch last year?
I remember a game last year where Kupp inexplicably barely saw the field, I'm guessing in favor of 2TE formations. Jefferson is probably the fastest receiver on the team. He's the new Cooks, and likely the slot guy Kupp is battling Everett for snaps.

I remember a game last year where Kupp inexplicably barely saw the field, I'm guessing in favor of 2TE formations. Jefferson is probably the fastest receiver on the team. He's the new Cooks, and likely the slot guy Kupp is battling Everett for snaps.
Not sure he is the new Cooks, but your right, he may be the fastest receiver they have and will probably at least split some of those deep routes with Reynolds. His versatility to play the slot and outside will increase his chances of being on the field however if they play mostly 12 personal it will probably hurt all pass catchers.

Everything I have read, nothing but positive. Is already pushing Josh Reynolds for the WR3/Slot role. Seems to have good momentum going into the season to at least show what he can do in game. 

Went undrafted in my 10 teamer last night.  Trying to make room on my bench this morning but...struggling.

The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue expects second-round rookie Van Jefferson to be the Rams' No. 3 receiver.

Jefferson has been one of the standouts of Rams camp, and he appears to have passed Josh Reynolds on the depth chart behind Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp. Before training camp, it was expected to be Reynolds replacing Brandin Cooks in three-wide sets. The Rams have a ton of targets up for grabs in coach Sean McVay's scheme that relies heavily on 11 personnel. Anyone who plays significant snaps in this offense is automatically on the fantasy radar.

RELATED: 

Josh Reynolds

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 2, 2020, 11:22 AM ET

Gun to your head - redraft - late round flier - B Edwards or Van Morrison? (Or another dark horse?) 

I would think Edwards has less competition, Jefferson has the more obvious pass-friendly scheme in his favor. 

Gun to your head - redraft - late round flier - B Edwards or Van Morrison? (Or another dark horse?) 

I would think Edwards has less competition, Jefferson has the more obvious pass-friendly scheme in his favor. 
Edwards easy for me.  LAR may be more pass friendly but the competition is much much greater (heck, Kupp had problems producing with them going more 2 TE sets)

Edwards easy for me.  LAR may be more pass friendly but the competition is much much greater (heck, Kupp had problems producing with them going more 2 TE sets)
Don’t know, if Van passes Reynolds for #3....does he also take an outside position in 12 formation? Could be interesting....

Don’t know, if Van passes Reynolds for #3....does he also take an outside position in 12 formation? Could be interesting....
This is def possible. Reynolds was on the field over Kupp at times late last year. I had Edwards ranked just a tad higher but he went early 12 in a draft last night. I got Van last round. I’m going to roster Van everywhere and see how the snaps shake out the first week or 2.

I think Van is such a great value in the late 2nd/early 3rd of rookie dynasty drafts. Wish I had more shares. 

Only downside is age. He’s 24 and the rest of the mid-to-late 2nd round guys are 21.

I think Van is such a great value in the late 2nd/early 3rd of rookie dynasty drafts. Wish I had more shares. 

Only downside is age. He’s 24 and the rest of the mid-to-late 2nd round guys are 21.
He’s the anti Breakout Age/Dominator Rating prospect for sure. 

Edwards for 2020 and likely beyond that. Van Morrison is a great singer but not particularly good at football unlike Van Jefferson.

Biabreakable said:
Edwards for 2020 and likely beyond that. Van Morrison is a great singer but not particularly good at football unlike Van Jefferson.
I was hoping that "Morrison" would become his nickname.  Or maybe "Halen"?  Some good choices out there.

Users who are viewing this thread