Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Baked potato

Baked potato  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

Of course but if you make at home you have to wash with a potato scrubber or else you're eating dirt.

I don't scrub unless it visibly looks very dirty.  You're going to kill everything cooking it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, kutta said:

The skin is my favorite part. Tons of butter and salt. I'll sometimes empty out the "meat" portion and go right for the skin.

Also good with a dash of Worcestershire.  I use that instead of the salt....

• Thinking 1

Baked potato’s are terribly overrated.  You basically have to smother it in butter and salt just to make it palatable and then add some cheese and sour cream and bacon and chives to actually make it good, making sure to save enough of the good stuff for every bite 

having said that the skin is the best part, so if you are going to power through that tasteless starch ball you might as well reward yourself at the end

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

Of course but if you make at home you have to wash with a potato scrubber or else you're eating dirt.

I grew up pulling carrots out of the ground and eating them raw dawg. A little dirt won't hurt you. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Baked potato’s are terribly overrated.  You basically have to smother it in butter and salt just to make it palatable and then add some cheese and sour cream and bacon and chives to actually make it good, making sure to save enough of the good stuff for every bite 

having said that the skin is the best part, so if you are going to power through that tasteless starch ball you might as well reward yourself at the end

Baked potatoes are are the low man on the totem pole of potato dishes. Now if it's a twice baked potato we we're talking about... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Super King said:

Baked potatoes are are the low man on the totem pole of potato dishes. Now if it's a twice baked potato we we're talking about... 

Agreed.  Other than raw, baked has to be the worst possible way to eat a potato 

Nah.  I nuke my potatoes.   They take to long to cook in an oven.    I don't get much out of it taste wise and I don't really care to scrub it down (potatoes are pretty high up there on lists with most pesticides) so I nuke it with the skin on and then peal it off.   These are yukon golds I'm talking about which are far superior to russets (your typical baked potato potato).  

Edited by NutterButter

1 hour ago, Nipsey said:

A decent wash should knock off any large clumps of dirt, and cooking it means any germs get killed. Honestly, I taste more dirt whenever I have beets. Awful stuff.

• Thanks 1

I could until I turned 50 and now my colon can’t handle stuff like this because apparently potato skins and apple skins and lettuce and all kinds of things that you wouldn’t think of like seeds and nuts and pork and delicious fat and popcorn and salsa and anything spicy plus not to mention beans and ribs and soda and booze and all the good things turn my intestines and colon into a water slide that was positioned over a rocky mountaintop and you can take all this bullcrap to the bank of bull caca bronachos which i can’t eat those either just shoot me now

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Kal El said:

A decent wash should knock off any large clumps of dirt, and cooking it means any germs get killed. Honestly, I taste more dirt whenever I have beets. Awful stuff.

They just taste like straight dirt. Horrible, vile things. One of a few foods I absolutely hate

I used to just give them a rinse and a hand scrub. Then I got the potato scrubber and those suckers didn't even look like what I was used to eating. The difference in appearance (and taste) between just rinse/hand rub and potato scrubber was eye popping. And it's not just dirt on those tubers, it's animal and human feces. Both kinds together.

2 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

I used to just give them a rinse and a hand scrub. Then I got the potato scrubber and those suckers didn't even look like what I was used to eating. The difference in appearance (and taste) between just rinse/hand rub and potato scrubber was eye popping. And it's not just dirt on those tubers, it's animal and human feces. Both kinds together.

If your potatoes are growing in human feces, there is a whole list of questions I'd have for that farmer.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I can eat a leftover potato right out of the fridge with nothing on it, skin and all.

1 hour ago, NutterButter said:

Nah.  I nuke my potatoes.   They take to long to cook in an oven.    I don't get much out of it taste wise and I don't really care to scrub it down (potatoes are pretty high up there on lists with most pesticides) so I nuke it with the skin on and then peal it off.   These are yukon golds I'm talking about which are far superior to russets (your typical baked potato potato).  

I nuke mine as well, I still consider it a baked potato. 

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Baked potatoes are a delivery mechanism for salt, butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon, chives. The skin helps hold it all in. Love baked potatoes. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dezbelief said:

I can eat a leftover potato right out of the fridge with nothing on it, skin and all.

I chop those up, nuke them for short while, and add a bit of butter, plus some sour cream if I have any.  Yum.

Edited by Mrs. Rannous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I think you may have slightly bad taste.  Russet skins are gross.  White potatoes are wonderful.

We really should have clarified this in the poll. The type of potato could make huge changes in the numbers. I assumed we were talkin russets

8 minutes ago, seahawk 17 said:

I like to rub the skin in olive oil and sea salt. After cooking has a nice slightly crisp skin that taste delicious.

I do the same. And after baking I broil the thing for a few minutes too to get the skin nice and cooked up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

Human feces are on every fruit/veg you buy at the supermarket.

They're also on our shoes, the ground, and just about anywhere within shouting distance of a toilet. What's your point?

A genuinely awful food. Pretty much the lowest good taste to work required ratio of any food on the planet.

By themselves, a regular old baked potato tastes awful. And if you're just looking to eat butter/sour cream/bacon bits or whatever other actually decent tasting good you''re using the potato as a vehicle for, there are ALWAYS better options.

If I'm served one, I'll usually just eat  the skin because doing so is less annoying than having to spend 2 minutes extracting the "good part"

Edited by TLEF316
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TLEF316 said:

And if you're just looking to eat butter/sour cream/bacon bits or whatever other actually decent tasting good you''re using the potato as a vehicle for, there are ALWAYS better options.

I agree that a potato is generally a vehicle. But there isn't a much better one for your combo of add-ons

19 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

I've always punched a few holes in the 🥔 with a fork before throwing it in the oven....is that necessary? Does it help in any way?

it helps them to avoid exploding

• Like 1