What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter permanently bans Trump (1 Viewer)

From Matt Yglisias:

I’ve been thinking lately about something I’ve decided to call “lawyer-brain” though it is of course not exclusive to or universal among lawyers.

What it amounts to is the belief that things that are not courts of law should act like courts of law, where every decision is made with heavy emphasis on both adhering to precedent and setting new precedent and an extremely high priority is placed on the application of neutral principles. Courts act this way for a reason. But nowadays we often see demands that other institutions — social media companies, op-ed pages, elected officials, vaccine administrators, etc. — act like appellate judges when there’s no actual reason everything should be like a court. The bouncers at bars and clubs will normally give some kind of reason before they kick someone out, but it’s not a binding precedent and you have no right to appeal. The limiting principle is that your bar goes out of business if you can’t run it properly. Hotels have policies, which is a way of managing the staff and setting customer expectations, but the managers can also just make ad hoc exceptions if they want to.

“Check out time is at 11AM” is not a constitutional principle, and even if you write it as “Check out time is at 11AM — no exceptions,” they can still make an exception.

What economist-brain asks about Trump’s deplatforming is not “how will this precedent be used?” but “what are the incentives?” Do social media companies have strong financial incentives to be overly censorious of disfavored political views? The answer is no — if anything the incentive is to amplify non-mainstream views out of proportion to their prevalence in the population.
I think that's right.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Matt Yglisias:

I’ve been thinking lately about something I’ve decided to call “lawyer-brain” though it is of course not exclusive to or universal among lawyers.

What it amounts to is the belief that things that are not courts of law should act like courts of law, where every decision is made with heavy emphasis on both adhering to precedent and setting new precedent and an extremely high priority is placed on the application of neutral principles. Courts act this way for a reason. But nowadays we often see demands that other institutions — social media companies, op-ed pages, elected officials, vaccine administrators, etc. — act like appellate judges when there’s no actual reason everything should be like a court. The bouncers at bars and clubs will normally give some kind of reason before they kick someone out, but it’s not a binding precedent and you have no right to appeal. The limiting principle is that your bar goes out of business if you can’t run it properly. Hotels have policies, which is a way of managing the staff and setting customer expectations, but the managers can also just make ad hoc exceptions if they want to.

“Check out time is at 11AM” is not a constitutional principle, and even if you write it as “Check out time is at 11AM — no exceptions,” they can still make an exception.

What economist-brain asks about Trump’s deplatforming is not “how will this precedent be used?” but “what are the incentives?” Do social media companies have strong financial incentives to be overly censorious of disfavored political views? The answer is no — if anything the incentive is to amplify non-mainstream views out of proportion to their prevalence in the population.
Expand  
I think that's right.
I like how he acts like this is some sort of profound "Eureka!" moment, as if he's never once been on a message board when a troll whined about unfair treatment from the moderators.

Has anybody thought about how weird it is that Trump stopped communicating just because he got banned from Twitter?  Like, he could just like have a webpage set up for himself to write his thoughts or whatever and people would subscribe to it and the media would write about it.   If it makes him feel comfortable they could set him up to only be able to post up to a certain number of characters at a time.  I’m sure somebody smart could even figure out a way for him to basically retweet stuff on his webpage.  From his vantage point it would be practically the same experience.  Why hasn’t he done this?

Has anybody thought about how weird it is that Trump stopped communicating just because he got banned from Twitter?  Like, he could just like have a webpage set up for himself to write his thoughts or whatever and people would subscribe to it and the media would write about it.   If it makes him feel comfortable they could set him up to only be able to post up to a certain number of characters at a time.  I’m sure somebody smart could even figure out a way for him to basically retweet stuff on his webpage.  From his vantage point it would be practically the same experience.  Why hasn’t he done this?
Maybe no one around him thinks that's a good idea.  Or he's just bitter and still working through his grief. 

You know how tiring it is playing 36 holes in the Florida heat? After a couple of drinks and dinner you are toast!

He's embarrassed.  He humiliated himself and knows he's the worst president this country has ever had.  He held out for as long as he could, grifted a few hundred more million dollars and now exhausted.  He tarnished and ruined the one thing he cared about the most:  His brand.  Not even the Dollar Store wants anything to do with his brand.  He's toxic.  The people still loyal to him are stooges; the butts of all jokes on all levels.  

At some point, you just take all the money you fleeced and hide.  The world is much better off without him, his name, his family and his brand being front and center.  And now he knows it. 

The better question is: why would anyone want to listen to anything that man says? If it’s not bitter and vitriolic, it’s probably a lie in his case. No news is good news, and if we work at it, we can make sure that he’s remembered as a cautionary tale.

The better question is: why would anyone want to listen to anything that man says? If it’s not bitter and vitriolic, it’s probably a lie in his case. No news is good news, and if we work at it, we can make sure that he’s remembered as a cautionary tale.
Howard Stern theory says this...is not gonna happen.

I thought it was pretty weird myself. I was expecting more bravado and defiance as he was walking out the door, and I thought for sure that he'd be a constant critic and thorn in Biden's side just like he was with Obama, but the total silence has been been perplexing. Where's the lib pwning??? Maybe he's waiting for the total exoneration before he starts up again?

Howard Stern theory says this...is not gonna happen.
What's the Howard Stern Theory? Is it Stern's theory about Trump or Stern's attempt to remake himself in the public eye in some way? I'm just not sure what you're referring to.

Thank you. Makes sense now.

I guess I don't like or loathe him like other people do. I'd rather he just go away and not foment any more anti-democratic feelings the populace has. I get the feeling that he's the symptom rather than the cause of some anti-democratic trends, but we don't need a catalyst helping it along by juxtaposing the politicians and institutions against the people, making it seem like a binary choice.

My two cents on the man. If I could be guaranteed he'd go away, that would suffice for me. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee, and the American public is long on second chances, something that, as mentioned in another thread, a collapse of shame and honor constraints will do.

and the American public is long on second chances, 
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I mean it’s not great in this instance and Trump is the last guy I want to see given a second chance- but overall I think our forgiving nature has been an asset, and one that separates American culture from most of the rest of the world. 

Apparently, he's busy bringing down the global pedophile ring and replacing the "bad" 5G cell towers with "good" 5G cell towers :shrug:  

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I mean it’s not great in this instance and Trump is the last guy I want to see given a second chance- but overall I think our forgiving nature has been an asset, and one that separates American culture from most of the rest of the world. 
Is the bolded a throwaway comment, or do you really believe that most of the rest of the world does not have a forgiving nature?

I figured he would release statements through his office which would then be retweeted by whomever might want to. He also hasn’t been calling into fox shows (that I’m aware of, or maybe they aren’t taking the calls because of lawsuits.) I’m not sure the media will put his stuff out, but some fringe ones would, and plenty of supporters and “Twitter journalists” would put them out or link them. 

He could certainly be busy making many calls and attending many meetings though, so maybe he’s just busy.

Twitter CEO says trump can't come back.  Once you're banned you're banned.  TWTR stock at all time highs, Wall Street and the markets seems to love Twitter for doing it.  Meanwhile, Fox Corp stock continues to suck.  

I miss his tweets. I've been following Trump on twitter since long before he became a presidential candidate and he's been consistently entertaining.  Its a terrible shame he is not allowed to tweet his rants and insults this week and going forward.  I think I've stated this before here, but I would love to see him take his act to LinkedIn.  Would he be a square peg in a round hole? Hell yeah, but he would own that round hole, and make it his #####.

Twitter CEO says trump can't come back.  Once you're banned you're banned.  TWTR stock at all time highs, Wall Street and the markets seems to love Twitter for doing it.  Meanwhile, Fox Corp stock continues to suck.  
:lmao:   Trump and Twitter's kindergarten slap fight has nothing to do with how the market is performing. 

ETA:  Twitter's all time high was January 2014.

I miss his tweets. I've been following Trump on twitter since long before he became a presidential candidate and he's been consistently entertaining.  Its a terrible shame he is not allowed to tweet his rants and insults this week and going forward.  I think I've stated this before here, but I would love to see him take his act to LinkedIn.  Would he be a square peg in a round hole? Hell yeah, but he would own that round hole, and make it his #####.
I’m laughing just thinking of Trump going off on lengthy diatribes against Salesforce or Agile Scrum or something. 

:lmao:   Trump and Twitter's kindergarten slap fight has nothing to do with how the market is performing. 
He did not say that impacted how the market overall is performing. He was referring specifically to Wall Street reaction to TWTR stock. 

I was worried, but you veered back on task..well done :thumbup:

If there's anything we learned from the "Trump / Stock Market " thread it was that it's all about Trump...well, when things are going well anyway.
We know a lot of people here took their money out of the market because of Trump.  Some threatened to leave the country.  You didn't see much of that this latest go around.  

We know a lot of people here took their money out of the market because of Trump.  Some threatened to leave the country.  You didn't see much of that this latest go around.  
ok?  don't know what that has to do with what I said but ok :thumbup:  

Personally, I see the same nonsense now that I saw with Trump.  Two sides of the same coin for a group of people who think they are significantly different than the other.  Anecdotes are what they are though.

No. What he does and why hasn't struck me as something worth devoting mental energy to.
I kinda hope this is shtick because it's amusing as hell. You're one of my favorite posters even when I disagree - but you also spend more time posting about what you don't think about or what you don't want to discuss than everyone else combined. You posting about what' not worth your time is like sho nuff asking for links but more entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread