What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1971 NEXT 100 songs Number one with a bullet/hammer - Layla · Derek & The Dominos (1 Viewer)

Despite being a 1970 song :P , Lucky Man is a great tune.

I need to do a better job following this thread, to see what song are being talked about that were missed in tim's thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite being a 1970 song :P , Lucky Man is a great tune.

I need to do a better job following this thread, to see what song are being talked about that were missed in tim's thread.
I feel the need to put the disclaimer to every page.

Tim did his list of 100 songs from 71.  I saw a few songs and kept gathering but to make it to 100 and to be fair to myself I included songs dating back to September of 1970 because they were still charting strong in early 71 or were just beginning to get traction.  

So this song and all songs dating back to September of 70 qualify for my list.

I feel the need to put the disclaimer to every page.

Tim did his list of 100 songs from 71.  I saw a few songs and kept gathering but to make it to 100 and to be fair to myself I included songs dating back to September of 1970 because they were still charting strong in early 71 or were just beginning to get traction.  

So this song and all songs dating back to September of 70 qualify for my list.
I am just messing with ya and having a little fun.  No need for anyone to be a fact checker and spoil sport in threads like this that are supposed to be fun. :hifive:

You mentioned Harold and Maude up front  - this screams H&M. In the best way possible.
It is on the soundtrack as are many other Cat Stevens songs.  

Harold and Maude Soundtrack Songs by Cat Stevens

Harold and Maude Songs by Cat Stevens

Don't Be Shy (1/also 4 or 5)
On The Road To Find Out (2/1/also 4)
I Wish, I Wish (3)
Miles from Nowhere (2)
Tea for the Tillerman (2)
I Think I See the Light (3)
Where Do the Children Play? (2/1/also 4 or 5)
If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out (1/also 4 or 5)
Trouble (3/1/also 4 or 5)

originally from...
(1) Footsteps in the Dark/Greatest Hits Volume Two
(2) Tea for the Tillerman
(3) Mona Bone Jakon
When I first starting compiling the list I had ... well lets say too many Cat Stevens songs.  I pulled an Edward Scissors Hands to get down to a reasonable number.

No apologies stating who she was.  The title of the album tells the story of who the queen was when she released this this one.

From the album Young, Gifted and Black.  :fro:

Released February 15, 1971
This is way too low, for my tastes but at least you included it. Tim should be ashamed of himself for not having it on his list at all.

This record rocks.

It is one of the coolest names for a band so how'd they come up with that great name?

They were originally called the Golliwogs but I guess that had/has racial connotations.  John got drafted and when he came back they were going to reunite but on one condition, name change.  They had different names but one stood out and it consisted of three things.

First part, Tom Fogerty had a buddy named Credence Newball.

Second, they all saw a commercial for for Olympia Brewing Company ("clear water").

Third part,  all four members were renewing commitment to their band.

Great name and so much fun to listen to in the early seventies.

Released January 1971

Lightfoot has cited his divorce for inspiring the lyrics, saying they came to him as he was sitting in a vacant Toronto house one summer. At the request of his daughter, Ingrid, he performs the lyrics with a slight change now: the line "I'm just trying to understand the feelings that you lack" is altered to "I'm just trying to understand the feelings that we lack." He has said in an interview that the difficulty with writing songs inspired by personal stories is that there is not always the emotional distance and clarity to make lyrical improvements such as the one his daughter suggested.

Been awhile since I heard this and its even better than I recall.

Released December 1970

I'm not reading this thread meticulously, but based upon the thread subject updates I'm seeing, I'll take 101-200 to my desert isle.

Lightfoot has cited his divorce for inspiring the lyrics, saying they came to him as he was sitting in a vacant Toronto house one summer. At the request of his daughter, Ingrid, he performs the lyrics with a slight change now: the line "I'm just trying to understand the feelings that you lack" is altered to "I'm just trying to understand the feelings that we lack." He has said in an interview that the difficulty with writing songs inspired by personal stories is that there is not always the emotional distance and clarity to make lyrical improvements such as the one his daughter suggested.

Released December 1970
This song is incredible. Glad it’s about something. Otherwise it would be just to hard to take. 

This song is incredible. Glad it’s about something. Otherwise it would be just to hard to take. 
The divorce happened due to Gord's infidelity.

The song Sundown which came out a few years later, great BTW, is about a well-known groopie.  So I was wondering if that was the cause of the split.

Released December 1970
Part of the chorus bears a fairly strong resemblance to the chorus of "The Greatest Love Of All". Once you hear the similarity, you'll never be able to un-hear it.

Part of the chorus bears a fairly strong resemblance to the chorus of "The Greatest Love Of All". Once you hear the similarity, you'll never be able to un-hear it.
Sounds like you know the story of Gord suing Whitney and then dropping the suit because he didn't want to harm her reputation when the people responsible were the ones who wrote the tune not Whit.  Also Gord was also sued by someone claiming he stole a few bars but it got dropped.  So their is a lot of back story to the tune.

Sounds like you know the story of Gord suing Whitney and then dropping the suit because he didn't want to harm her reputation when the people responsible were the ones who wrote the tune not Whit.  Also Gord was also sued by someone claiming he stole a few bars but it got dropped.  So their is a lot of back story to the tune.
"The Greatest Love Of All" had originally been recorded by George Benson as the theme song for the 1977 biopic about Muhammad Ali, "The Greatest". Lightfoot claims that he never heard Benson's version -- and even if he had heard it, he might not have recognized any similarities because Benson's song is in a different key.

Meanwhile, the guy who wrote the song (Michael Masser) became a bigtime record producer, and ended up producing and co-writing half the songs on Whitney's debut album. He suggested that Whitney cover the song, and also suggested a key change which made the chorus sound a lot closer to Lightfoot's song.

And so, one day in 1986 Gordon Lightfoot stepped into an elevator and heard a familiar melody.......but it wasn't a cover of "If You Could Read My Mind", it was Whitney.

He subsequently filed a copyright lawsuit against Masser. In theory, this would have no effect on Whitney, since Lightfoot was only suing for songwriter royalties (and Whitney didn't co-write the song). But then Lightfoot dropped the lawsuit -- he claims it was because he didn't want to hurt Whitney and didn't want to be seen as a "bad guy" trying to ruin a newcomer's career. But I think the real story has more to do with industry politics: Lightfoot still had an active recording contract at the time, and I think Clive Davis (head of Whitney's record label) basically told him, "Drop the lawsuit or we'll ruin your career." Lightfoot accepted a public apology from Masser and that was the end of it.

BTW, another part of "The Greatest Love Of All" sounds quite a bit like "We're All Alone" by Boz Scaggs (also recorded by Rita Coolidge).

Bracie Smathers said:
This list has had a lot of different sounds and this one is a throwback to a very-raw sound.  The song is a cover from an old tune from 1953 when Smiley Lewis put out the original.  >>  Smiley Lewis - I Hear You Knockin'  Edmonds 'literally' gives Smiley a shout out with other great Rock and Roll legends in the song.

If you've ever gone back to the 'raw' stone age era of Rock and Roll when Cleveland DJ Allen Freed was coining the term it sounded something like this:

Released November 1970

...Edmunds' version features prominent guitar lines and a stripped-down, straight-quaver rock-and-roll approach.[17] In an interview, John Lennon commented, "Well, I always liked simple rock. There's a great one in England now, 'I Hear You Knocking'".[18]

Edmunds plays all the instruments (except possibly bass guitar) and AllMusic writer Stephen Thomas Erlewine suggests that the song "has a mechanical rhythm and a weird, out-of-phase vocal that qualifies as an original interpretation"
A glaring omission on Tim's list, but not surprising in the sense that I have never got the feeling he likes that kind of raw Rock n Roll.
Wasn’t “eligible”

I saw Rockpile (Edmonds/Lowe) in 1977 at Wings Stadium. We had no idea who they were, they opened for The Outlaws & Bad Co (headliner.) One of the best 8-song setlists I ever witnessed.

Wasn’t “eligible”

I saw Rockpile (Edmonds/Lowe) in 1977 at Wings Stadium. We had no idea who they were, they opened for The Outlaws & Bad Co (headliner.) One of the best 8-song setlists I ever witnessed.
Although released in the UK in December 1970, the song was eligible because the single was released and was a hit in the states in 1971 (plenty of other songs on Tim's list went by the US release date).

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony Orlando was a record executive who wanted to make it as a performer so he would release singles under pseudonyms.  He was hoping one of his singles would hit and then he could come-out as a singer after toiling away as an exec.  He got his big break with the single 'Candida' with a group he named Dawn with two backup singers Toni Wine and Linda November.  Once that song hit he put out an album Candida to capitalize on the strength of that hit but he needed other tunes to round out the album and the group made this hit. 

Released November 1970 

He knew how to make a record and hone it to a hit but he had to replace his backup singers with Telma Hopkins and Joyce Vincent Wilson.  He first renamed the group as Dawn featuring Tony Orlando to Tony Orlando and Dawn, the newly named group blew up the chart in 73 with Tie a Yellow Ribbon which became their signature tune.  A TV variety show followed and he rode that fame off into the sunset of Branson Missouri.  

Tony Orlando was a record executive who wanted to make it as a performer so he would release singles under pseudonyms.  He was hoping one of his singles would hit and then he could come-out as a singer after toiling away as an exec.  He got his big break with the single 'Candida' with a group he named Dawn with two backup singers Toni Wine and Linda November.  Once that song hit he put out an album Candida to capitalize on the strength of that hit but he needed other tunes to round out the album and the group made this hit. 

Released November 1970 
There was a great parody version of this song called "Flush Three Times" but I can't find it on YouTube.   :kicksrock:

Released November 1970 

He knew how to make a record and hone it to a hit but he had to replace his backup singers with Telma Hopkins and Joyce Vincent Wilson.  He first renamed the group as Dawn featuring Tony Orlando to Tony Orlando and Dawn, the newly named group blew up the chart in 73 with Tie a Yellow Ribbon which became their signature tune.  A TV variety show followed and he rode that fame off into the sunset of Branson Missouri.  
always had a thing for Telma ...she aged pretty damn well too

Dan was Kenny's older brother and he wrote Kenny a letter when he was going to move with his pregnant girlfriend.  He told Ken that they didn't have any money but they loved each other and that they would work it out.  Kenny wrote this tune.

Released November 1971
Would have made my top 25 of the original list - like a fine wine or whiskey, just gets better and better with age.

The original version by the Temptations ran nearly 13 minutes.  The Temps were going to try and cut it down to make a single but lead singer Eddie Kendricks wasn't cooperative.  The producer culled together members of the Motown clan and created the band Undisputed Truth whose stripped down version with the Funk Brothers backing them with a flair of psychedelic soul turned it into a classic.  'Can you dig it?'

Released May 13, 1971

Originally a song from a bank commercial that Richard Carpenter saw and for some reason he saw it had hit potential.  The bank wanted a song but not a diddy, they wanted a video that would fit a couple getting married and beginning their life together.  Here's the video done by Paul Williams. >>  Classic Commercial - "The Crocker Bank" - 1970

THAT turned into the 414 song on Rolling Stones top-500 songs of all-time and a song that has to be in any collage of music that defines the 70s.

Released September 12, 1970

"Mach schau, mach schau!"  (Make show, make show!)

Hamburg Germany 1962 the The Beatles were one of the groups at the opening of the Star Club.  They came upon Billy Preston who was in Little Richard's band that performed at the time and struck up a friendship. 

Fast forward to November of 68 when George started breaking out from the confines of the Beatles branching-out working with other musicians and one was Preston who he had carried on his friendship from Hambug and even had him sit in on the 'Get Back' sessions.  George was helping Billy with an album and on his drive to the studio he came up with this.

Released 15 February 1971

"Mach schau, mach schau!"  (Make show, make show!)

Hamburg Germany 1962 the The Beatles were one of the groups at the opening of the Star Club.  They came upon Billy Preston who was in Little Richard's band that performed at the time and struck up a friendship. 

Fast forward to November of 68 when George started breaking out from the confines of the Beatles branching-out working with other musicians and one was Preston who he had carried on his friendship from Hambug and even had him sit in on the 'Get Back' sessions.  George was helping Billy with an album and on his drive to the studio he came up with this.

Released 15 February 1971
:clap:  My pick for the best post Beatles song of all. 

"I was on a holiday in Spain. I was a kid from the West End (of London) – bright lights, et cetera. I never got to see the moon on its own in the dark, there were always streetlamps. So there I was on the edge of the water on a beautiful night with the moon glowing, and suddenly I looked down and saw my shadow. I thought that was so cool, I'd never seen it before."

Stevens,/Yusuf Islam, of his old songs he considers this his favorite.

Released 1 October 1971

The song was inspiration for the album artwork.  Cat not only did the cover for the album Teaser and the Firecat he was inspired to write a children's book where top-hat wearing Teaser and his pet Firecat try to put the moon back in place after it falls from the sky.

Director John Landis (Animal House/Blues Brothers) wanted the song for his classic horror movie 'An American Werewolf in London' but Yusuf was converting to Islam at the time and did not want the song connected to the project.

Daughter of a well-known and wealthy preacher who drew large crowds and famous people.  Aretha's mother died when she was 9 and she was raised by a group of women.  Her roots were strongly based in gospel and with women like Mahalia Jackson helping to raise her she had incredible vocalists around her as well.  

This song was covered by over 50 artists from Elvis to Cantonese versions.  In 1968 the Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance was created and was awarded to Aretha Franklin for 'Respect.  She won it again in 69 for 'Chain of Fools, again in 70 for 'Share Your Love With Me' and kept winning it until 1975, seven consecutive times.  In 1971 she won for this song.

Released March 1971

The musical catalog alone would make her the queen but consider...

In a time where it took courage she was a strong proponent of civil rights.  Her songs "Respect" and "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" became anthems of these movements for social change.  It wasn't only black people that Franklin supported, she was also a strong supporter for Native American rights and supported Indigenous Peoples' struggles worldwide, and numerous movements that supported Native American and First Nation cultural rights.

A new instrument makes the list, the banjo and as Steve Martin once said >>  Steve Martin - Cant be sad while playing the banjo

For years I thought they were singing 'Sweets Any Woman'.  

Released May 1971
Another glaring omission on Tim's list but remember he was only 6 years old in 1971 and probably never heard it. His top 100 seems comprised mostly of songs from LPs that an older sibling bought at the time, which pretty much is his entire exposure to the year 1971 in music to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread