What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1971 NEXT 100 songs Number one with a bullet/hammer - Layla · Derek & The Dominos (1 Viewer)

timschochet said:
Wonderful list, I never expected the follow up. 

I’m thinking about doing another one of these. The year I have in mind is 1979. Not quite as grandiose as 71, but perhaps more diverse. 
1979 would be a good one for a point/counterpoint countdown. As you say, there were a lot of simultaneous genres going on then.

To recap a bit on some of the songs I listed.

100.  Let That Boy Boogie · Farm

I wasn’t familiar with this group or the song before making the list.  I thought I would have to go deep and found a few gems that no-one would know and this was one I really liked.

99.  Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up

Definitely would have had this rated higher but mistakenly thought a different Mayfield tune would qualify for my list but it came out later.

#89 Joy To The World · Three Dog Night

I would have had it number one if I had made this list decades ago but I personally got burnt out on it but recognize how much I used to love it.

#88 Sooner Or Later · The Grass Roots

Forgot how much I liked this group but didn't realize they were a marketing gimmic.  Very catchy tune made me put it on the list.

#87 Billy Joel - She's Got A Way 

Not just because it was his debut album but the story about how the producer screwed up and had everything playing too fast which made Joel's voice sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks where over a decade later he went back to the studio and fixed it.  So many debut albums in 71, the sheer number of first-time albums blew me away.  Joel was only 21 when he made this.

#85  The Stylistics - Betcha By Golly, Wow

Released November 6, 1971 - Multiple songs on the list were from this date which happens to be my birthday (not this year).  Thought this was an odd connection to the list.

#82  Sunshine - Jonathan Edwards

One of my DJ buddies loved this song.

#79  Hot Rod Lincoln - Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen

The first concert I went to at the Sheraton Hotel.  A big dance concert, so much fun.  Had no idea this was a cover and Scooter did a great write up on the origins.

#71  Rain Dance - The Guess Who

This song was always hypnotic to me but I didn't know what the lyrics meant so I'm glad I was able to track much of that down.

#70  Do You Know What I Mean - Lee Michaels

It doesn't get played enough and I had forgotten how great it was.

#69  Apeman - The Kinks

I take great glee sharing this song and I absolutely LOVE the video.  Also I swear he uses the F-word.  :D

#64  Love The One You're With - Stephen Stills

Personal story about this song.  I was living in a tent up in Valdez Alaska in tent city which consisted of up to over 424 people in the height of summer.  It was located next to the fish processing plant we worked in and we worked loooooong hours (typical day 7:00 AM to midnight = 17 hour days) but when their were no fish their was no work and the partying started.  

One night of partying I was in my tent and I heard this incredible sound.  A big man looked exactly like a young heavy set John Popper not the slimmed down version Popper thin-old / young-heavy and he had this guitar and he was singing and playing this song while gracefully dancing between the tents.  No one was around but me and I was hidden in my tent watching one of the greatest acoustic versions of the song EVA!

#59  "Vahevala" Loggins and Messina

I've noted I was a DJ and used to play Loggins and Messina a lot especially Loggins & Messina - Angry Eyes  because it was long enough for me to run down to the bathroom to take a leak and get back before the song ended and I love that tune but it came out in 72 so it didn't qualify for my list.  I had soo many songs that just missed my cut off date.

#58 I Hear You Knocking - Dave Edmonds

Another one that one of my DJ friends loved.  He turned me onto Edmonds/Rock Pile.

#50 If You Could Read My Mind Love - Gordon Lightfoot

As I noted I had forgotten how good this song was.  When I first moved out west to Colorado my boss was a DJ at the radio station I would work at a few years later and he told the story about how he played 'The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald' and afterwards he opened up the mic and said he was sick of that song and in a fit of anger he broke the album on air.  

He said the phone rang and a guy told him that he knew a person who had died on the ship.  My boss felt like #### as you can imagine.  Lesson learned but I always think of that story when I hear a Gordon Lightfoot song.

#49  Samba Pa Ti · Santana

I used to play this song A LOT.  I remember so many times late in the night (I was an over night DJ, six hour shift so I played a lot of tunes every night) I would play this tune and it was so calming.  I remember the full moon streaming in and just sitting in the darkened studio while this song played.  Aahhhhh.

#35  Rock and Roll Stew - Traffic

One of my other friends was a zymurgist (he was one of the first people into home brewing) and we brewed a dark beer that won a gold medal at the Colorado State fair.  We were playing this tune while brewing and I see we missed an opportunity to call that beer 'Rock and Roll BREW' but alas.  A few years later when I was a DJ and we were room mates, I knew he was listening and he was a huge Detroit Tiger fan/I was a Cleveland Indian fan who always lost and the Tigers had just won their World Series so he would rub it in to me any chance he could.  We took a big west coast road trip and he used to sing some sort of Detroit Tiger pennant song. 

Well one night I saw over the ticker-tape machine (Yes before the Internet our station had an old fashioned ticker-tape just like you would see in the old movies) and a baseball score came over the wire.  Cleveland Indians 11 Detroit Tigers 0.  I got on the air and said I would be soo embarrassed to be a Tiger fan, really rubbing it in.  I thought it was hysterical and he would laugh. 

I could not have been more wrong.  He was soo pissed at me he didn't speak to me for days, lol.  Lesson learned don't abuse the bully pulpit.

I'll continue the breakdown of the list later.....

Last edited by a moderator:
timschochet said:

I’m thinking about doing another one of these. The year I have in mind is 1979. Not quite as grandiose as 71, but perhaps more diverse. 
How about 1980 instead? Disco was fading quickly at that point and some of the good 80's music groups were starting out.

Tim/Bracie - I really appreciate the effort from you two fellas! 

Now who's gonna create the 200 song Spotify playlist to put a bow on it?  :popcorn:

Recap continued.

#29  Mr. Skin - Spirit

Was one of the warped 45s one of my older sisters left when she moved out.  

#25  All Day Music - War

Great summer song.

#22  Where To Now St. Peter? - Elton John

I rediscovered this tune making the list.  Had no clue about the meaning till I researched it for the list which makes me like it even more.

#17  Domino - Van Morrison

I remember making a Van Morrison tape where I would record from the radio and I accidentally mashed this song Into The Mystic this Come Running and it created a fantastic effect.  Just love Van.  One song I wanted was Glad Tidings but it came out in February of 70 so I missed by months for my list.

#9  Rare Earth - I Just Want to Celebrate

I beat the living #### out of this record.  It was in my pile of warped/scratched 45s.  I wanted Get Ready but it came out in 69.

#1 Layla · Derek & The Dominos

My best friend was a Beatlemaniac which made me a maniac as well so I had read a book that mentioned Pattie Boyd and Eric Clapton/George love triangle but I had not heard of the piano coda and how the drummer Jim Gordon had murdered his mother till picked up a copy of Rolling Stone and began reading the article.  I couldn't put it down till I finished and was blown away by the story.  

Well that wraps it up.  It was fun and interesting and creative.  

I kept seeing connections to Laurel Canyon and think it would be good to do a post just on that because it not only involves an incredible fantastic congregation of musical genius but a seedy conspiratorial underbelly that I had head bits and pieces but found some thing while looking into the music on this list.  

timschochet said:

Oh no, please.

Your 1971 list was the worst best of list for 1971 I have ever seen in my life (if you had labeled it your favorite top 100 that would have been a different story as you would have been entitled to list your obscurities and no one could dispute they weren't your favorites).  

Oh no, please.

Your 1971 list was the worst best of list for 1971 I have ever seen in my life (if you had labeled it your favorite top 100 that would have been a different story as you would have been entitled to list your obscurities and no one could dispute they weren't your favorites).  
So consider it his favorites - if you disagree, don’t read it. 

Keep on keepin’ on, Tim.

So consider it his favorites - if you disagree, don’t read it. 

Keep on keepin’ on, Tim.
Agreed.

I had thought about doing one for the early 80s, but I don't have the tenacity right now to keep at it for 100 songs, so best to let Tim do it and then we can critique has lack of Rush songs. :P

Agreed.

I had thought about doing one for the early 80s, but I don't have the tenacity right now to keep at it for 100 songs, so best to let Tim do it and then we can critique has lack of Rush songs. :P
If I do 1979, and I think that’s going to be the one, there will unfortunately be no Rush songs to review. Permanent Waves wasn’t released until early the next year. No Queen songs either. A few significant  bands of the era just missed out. 

Oh no, please.

You wouldn't have to read it. In fact my guess is that most people would be very happy if you would steer clear of it. You're quite insufferable.

Has anyone seen the 8-part documentary on Apple TV  “1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything”? Am just through the first part and it’s great so far.

Users who are viewing this thread