Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Boats - a thread about them


Recommended Posts

Boats.  Starting a thread because search gets me nowhere.

I went boat shopping this week.  I looked at 300k (pavati) boats, I looked at 40k (tracker) boats.

I want to surf and hang out and fish and tow a tube.

Figured I would start a thread for questions/thoughts on boats.

Edited by matuski
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

VanDusen; "You know what i tell my firends that ask me what it's like to own a boat?  I tell them to stand under a cold shower and rip up $100 dollar bills".

Officially bought. Should get her christened officially in a. Few weeks, registration is a mess due to Covid and terrible local online forms.    hopefully in 3 weeks...   I need a dep

Just pulled the trigger and put a deposit down on a Pursuit DC266 for delivery in June.  Went way above our initial price range (went in jointly with my Dad), but ultimately happy with the decision. 

Buddy of mine bought a lake house last weekend.  I mentioned to him I want to buy a boat but all the ancillary costs keep me from doing it.  He has offered to let me keep my boat at his place (on his covered lift or garage pending needs).  

His proposal - I buy a boat, keep it at his lake house, he gets to use my boat, I get to use his lake house.

No brainer.

So now I need a boat.  I looked high and low.. have decided I want an entry levelish boat that can do everything well enough.  I have found the Yamaha jet boats and think i may go with the 212x or 210s.   Anyone have experience with these?  I like the no propeller (the lake we will be on is notorious for claiming a prop now and then), the safety of it, tha ability to do shallow water.  But I have only been on prop boats, recently inboard surf boats (Nautique G23 and MB Tomcat22).  I realize the yamaha wont touch that wave, but it seems good enough to start with?

Faust reminded me @Joe Bryant is in the business.  Weird no thread.

Edited by matuski
Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever someone starts talking about getting a boat i always recommend finding a friend with a boat.  Much cheaper and boat people usually like having friends come along.  Pay for the gas for the weekend and you are good to go.  

 

However,  you are doing it next level by finding a friend with the lake house.   Bravo, Bravo!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gally said:

Whenever someone starts talking about getting a boat i always recommend finding a friend with a boat.  Much cheaper and boat people usually like having friends come along.  Pay for the gas for the weekend and you are good to go.  

 

However,  you are doing it next level by finding a friend with the lake house.   Bravo, Bravo!

Right.. I was about to sign on a pool this week.

The lakehouse perk changes everything.

Edited by matuski
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Bring

On

Another

Thousand

In general, this applies.. in my scenario it appears it does not.

Regardless, people buy boats and I am finding it fascinating right now.  I visited 3 dealers today and figured I might be in a position with leverage - instead i find them sold out of damn near everything.

The Nautique dealer literally laughed when I approached it as a negotiation.  "Buy it this week or it will be gone next week".... well damn.  ☹️

Edited by matuski
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I sold the boat company a few years ago. It's an interesting business. Take your time and figure out what you want. A Yamaha jet boat and a $120,000 Nautique are miles apart. Good luck in finding what you want. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a few boats and a few Waverunners.  Currently have a 22' saltwater bay boat (outboard) and a couple waverunners. I love the concept of the Yamaha jetboats, but don't assume they are good for shallow water.  Just like Waverunners, they will run in shallow water but if they get too close to silt/sand the water intake on the bottom of the boat sucks it up like a vacuum cleaner.  If the water were just used for propulsion, no big deal, but the Yamaha's also use that water for cooling the engine and it is not uncommon for the cooling orifices to get clogged and overheat the engine from running in shallow water for too long.

Also, as you have noticed the boat industry is in a major boom mode right now. It is a feast or famine industry and boat values swing wildly.  Now is not the time to buy new or used.  But, I am reasonably confident we are about to hit a major bust.  So be patient, watch the market over the next few months and prepare to be rewarded.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Best two days of a boat owners life is the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it. 

My wife is constantly pushing the buying of a boat. I will keep pushing it off as long as I can. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a ski boat with a wake tower and ballasts for surfing (though we really only wakeboard, wakeskate and go tubing). Bought a slightly used Moomba Mobius LSV and it was a great deal that didn’t break the bank. We ended up avoiding jet boats after doing some research, primarily because they are more challenging to control at slow speeds and when pulling into a dock or onto a trailer. But our lake is really deep so we don’t have to worry about prop damage. Also something to consider is the sound system. Tunage is a major plus to the experience (and is a challenge in wet environments).

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AcerFC said:

Best two days of a boat owners life is the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it. 

My wife is constantly pushing the buying of a boat. I will keep pushing it off as long as I can. 

Honestly, it’s one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. A ton of fun and a lot of great memories. As my son goes off to college in the fall though, it’s not going to get used as much, so not sure if we’ll keep it long term. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just sold my boat last summer.  I had Glastron 185GX.   Just a small 18ft open bow that we used for tubing mostly.  It was a lot of fun and I am glad that I had it as the kids were growing up, but eventually we got too busy to get enough use out of it.  I bought mine used and ended up selling it for very close to what I paid for it, but there was a lot invested along the way.  I grew up with a boat in the family, but that was a 41ft 1968 wooden Chris Craft...a much different boating experience.  I think the real key to enjoyment is usage, and your usage depends on how easily accessible it is.  I live in a lake community.  The I had the boat docked at the end of my street.  I could be on that boat in a matter of a few minutes of deciding I wanted to be...morning, afternoon, evening...didn't matter.  I could go out for an hour or 5 hours...or come and go sporadically at different times of the day.  I didn't have to commit to a weekend.  How far away is the lake house?  If I had to drive an hour to use my boat, I would not likely have gotten as good of use out of it.  All the money and maintenance wouldn't have been worth it to me if I didn't have the ease of access.  I wouldn't have enjoyed it near as much.    Your friend says you can use the lake house, but how often?  Will they always be there?  I suppose you know your friend best, but you guys better have some agreements in place or you'll be stepping on each other's toes when it comes to wanting to use the house and/or boat.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you've ridden on a nautique you're going to be severely disappointed with a jet boat.  I owned a moomba for years and was very happy with it.  Didn't break the bank but could do everything.  I would definitely look used, not sure what area of the country you're in but you can find used boats with low hours occasionally in the northeast.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, lumpy19 said:

I think if you've ridden on a nautique you're going to be severely disappointed with a jet boat.  I owned a moomba for years and was very happy with it.  Didn't break the bank but could do everything.  I would definitely look used, not sure what area of the country you're in but you can find used boats with low hours occasionally in the northeast.

I am going up to look at Moomba's today/tomorrow.

My limitation is my buddies garage.. it is 25ft deep but a couple inches shy of 8ft high through the door.  The jet boat will fit, need to see what my options are on the Kaiyen.

On the weekends it will be kept in the water on his dock.  During the week, needs to be stored (preferably in his garage).

Edited by matuski
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Galileo said:

I just sold my boat last summer.  I had Glastron 185GX.   Just a small 18ft open bow that we used for tubing mostly.  It was a lot of fun and I am glad that I had it as the kids were growing up, but eventually we got too busy to get enough use out of it.  I bought mine used and ended up selling it for very close to what I paid for it, but there was a lot invested along the way.  I grew up with a boat in the family, but that was a 41ft 1968 wooden Chris Craft...a much different boating experience.  I think the real key to enjoyment is usage, and your usage depends on how easily accessible it is.  I live in a lake community.  The I had the boat docked at the end of my street.  I could be on that boat in a matter of a few minutes of deciding I wanted to be...morning, afternoon, evening...didn't matter.  I could go out for an hour or 5 hours...or come and go sporadically at different times of the day.  I didn't have to commit to a weekend.  How far away is the lake house?  If I had to drive an hour to use my boat, I would not likely have gotten as good of use out of it.  All the money and maintenance wouldn't have been worth it to me if I didn't have the ease of access.  I wouldn't have enjoyed it near as much.    Your friend says you can use the lake house, but how often?  Will they always be there?  I suppose you know your friend best, but you guys better have some agreements in place or you'll be stepping on each other's toes when it comes to wanting to use the house and/or boat.

Yea all of these things are considerations.  And the more we think about it the more come up. If it were anyone else, I would balk.  We have been good/best friends for 27 years.

Keeping the wives out of it (my wife has already brought up 5 times the fear of causing fights) - he and I have agreed to deal with each other.  Baseline agreement is my family gets dibs on the boat in any conflict, and I am not asking for dibs on the house at all... if we get to use it a couple times a year, great.  Otherwise kind of a standing invitation both ways.  If they are at the house then we will or wont join them, if we are on the boat they will or wont join us.  

I have to drive 45/hour to any lake, so yes - an hour.

Worst case scenario I move the boat to a marina/storage or sell it.  Would suck, but willing to give this a go.

 

Edited by matuski
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lumpy19 said:

I think if you've ridden on a nautique you're going to be severely disappointed with a jet boat.  I owned a moomba for years and was very happy with it.  Didn't break the bank but could do everything.  I would definitely look used, not sure what area of the country you're in but you can find used boats with low hours occasionally in the northeast.

Ditto this. I looked at Nautiques when I was in the market, but ultimately found that the Moomba was mid-level option that checked all the boxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, matuski said:

I am going up to look at Moomba's today/tomorrow.

My limitation is my buddies garage.. it is 25ft deep but a couple inches shy of 8ft high through the door.  The jet boat will fit, need to see what my options are on the Kaiyen.

On the weekends it will be kept in the water on his dock.  During the week, needs to be stored (preferably in his garage).

My moomba came with a swing away hitch to tuck neatly in the garage, this was in 2004 so I'd imagine it still does or is at least an option.  Saves about 3ft when folded back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, matuski said:

I am going up to look at Moomba's today/tomorrow.

My limitation is my buddies garage.. it is 25ft deep but a couple inches shy of 8ft high through the door.  The jet boat will fit, need to see what my options are on the Kaiyen.

On the weekends it will be kept in the water on his dock.  During the week, needs to be stored (preferably in his garage).

The height limitation will be a concern if you have a wake tower.  Our wake tower can be lowered, but it's a real pain (and requires two people).  If there's a wake tower, make sure you look into how it is lowered/raised before making a purchase.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

p.s.  One other thing since it sounds like you're going to have to launch the boat.  Make sure that you have someone who can back the trailer down the launch, and someone else who can drive the boat up on the trailer.  When my kid was younger, it was just my wife and I to handle this (if we didn't have friends with us) and she wasn't comfortable doing either.  That becomes a real pain in the ####.  I'd have to drive the trailer around to the launch, and then swim out to the boat to drive it onto the trailer.  I ended up remodeling the boathouse and installing a lift so I wouldn't have to deal with launching it any more.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, matuski said:

Yea all of these things are considerations.  And the more we think about it the more come up. If it were anyone else, I would balk.  We have been good/best friends for 27 years.

Keeping the wives out of it (my wife has already brought up 5 times the fear of causing fights) - he and I have agreed to deal with each other.  Baseline agreement is my family gets dibs on the boat in any conflict, and I am not asking for dibs on the house at all... if we get to use it a couple times a year, great.  Otherwise kind of a standing invitation both ways.  If they are at the house then we will or wont join them, if we are on the boat they will or wont join us.  

I have to drive 45/hour to any lake, so yes - an hour.

Worst case scenario I move the boat to a marina/storage or sell it.  Would suck, but willing to give this a go.

 

Sounds like you have it figured out but also take into consideration what happens if damaged.  I know we all say we are good for it or will take care of it, until something happens...A lot easier to damage a boat then a lake house...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yak651 said:

Sounds like you have it figured out but also take into consideration what happens if damaged.  I know we all say we are good for it or will take care of it, until something happens...A lot easier to damage a boat then a lake house...

Right, actually thought of that earlier.  How do I insure them, or do they need their own?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, matuski said:

Right, actually thought of that earlier.  How do I insure them, or do they need their own?

That’s actually a really good question. I know my insurance policy covers my family from any third party claims. I don’t loan my boat out, so I honestly have no idea if it would provide the same coverage if a third party were driving. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, matuski said:

Right, actually thought of that earlier.  How do I insure them, or do they need their own?

That's actually a good point - I was thinking more of damage to the boat.  But along with that would you be liable if they hit someone tubing or swimming with your boat?  Definitely a grey area, I trust friends and family members to use motorcycles and atvs, but in todays society have second thoughts.  I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sue me if something happened, but would a third party sue?  Would their health insurance company come after me to pay for medical bills if they were hurt on my vehicle?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, matuski said:

Right, actually thought of that earlier.  How do I insure them, or do they need their own?

Call your insurance company and they will add a policy. It's not expensive. I think mine was maybe $30 a month and it includes liability. Mine is not an expensive boat so YMMV regarding costs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2020 at 9:56 AM, matuski said:

Yea all of these things are considerations.  And the more we think about it the more come up. If it were anyone else, I would balk.  We have been good/best friends for 27 years.

Keeping the wives out of it (my wife has already brought up 5 times the fear of causing fights) - he and I have agreed to deal with each other.  Baseline agreement is my family gets dibs on the boat in any conflict, and I am not asking for dibs on the house at all... if we get to use it a couple times a year, great.  Otherwise kind of a standing invitation both ways.  If they are at the house then we will or wont join them, if we are on the boat they will or wont join us.  

I have to drive 45/hour to any lake, so yes - an hour.

Worst case scenario I move the boat to a marina/storage or sell it.  Would suck, but willing to give this a go.

 

Why does it need to be stored out of the water during the week?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Worm said:

Why does it need to be stored out of the water during the week?

buddy's lakehouse, no dock yet (previous owner built a fixed lift, water receded) and they dont live there...  house only going to be used weekends at most.

eta - reading back up the thread I see that wasn't clear.  Buddy told me about the covered lift... I assumed it was in the water :lmao: but apparently the water level fluctuates a lot annually and the previous owner was a moron.  So he has a covered slip/lift currently sitting about 50 feet from the water :bag:

Edited by matuski
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Worm said:

Call your insurance company and they will add a policy. It's not expensive. I think mine was maybe $30 a month and it includes liability. Mine is not an expensive boat so YMMV regarding costs.

Yep just talked to them this morning, apparently no big deal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, matuski said:

Yep just talked to them this morning, apparently no big deal.

Is the lake private?  If so, there may be insurance liability minimums necessary to get a permit to use the lake.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Is the lake private?  If so, there may be insurance liability minimums necessary to get a permit to use the lake.  

Not private.  Medina Lake Bandera TX area.

I need to add their names to the policy, and if something happens while they drive it will be my policy paying for it.... and my premium skyrocketing :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matuski said:

buddy's lakehouse, no dock yet (previous owner built a fixed lift, water receded) and they dont live there...  house only going to be used weekends at most.

eta - reading back up the thread I see that wasn't clear.  Buddy told me about the covered lift... I assumed it was in the water :lmao: but apparently the water level fluctuates a lot annually and the previous owner was a moron.  So he has a covered slip/lift currently sitting about 50 feet from the water :bag:

Ah, gotcha. 

Well, I'll just say that we ended up buying our boat because we found a cheap (relatively) place to keep it in a wet slip on the lake. My cousin sold it to me because of how much launching and trailering it sucked. It's a little different if you have a private ramp and storage location for the trailer, but in general it's just something to think about. They just didn't use the boat as much as they wanted to because of how much a pain it is to trailer/launch it and do everything that comes with that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Worm said:

Ah, gotcha. 

Well, I'll just say that we ended up buying our boat because we found a cheap (relatively) place to keep it in a wet slip on the lake. My cousin sold it to me because of how much launching and trailering it sucked. It's a little different if you have a private ramp and storage location for the trailer, but in general it's just something to think about. They just didn't use the boat as much as they wanted to because of how much a pain it is to trailer/launch it and do everything that comes with that.

Yep, I lived with that for a couple summers.  We had a dock where we could store the boat while we were there using mooring whips, but had to trailer it every time we left the lake house.  It was so much of a pain that we ended up converting the dock into a boathouse with a lift.  Now we can be out on the water within minutes of arriving at the lake house.  Downside is that boathouses are expensive. 

Edited by bigbottom
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Worm said:

Ah, gotcha. 

Well, I'll just say that we ended up buying our boat because we found a cheap (relatively) place to keep it in a wet slip on the lake. My cousin sold it to me because of how much launching and trailering it sucked. It's a little different if you have a private ramp and storage location for the trailer, but in general it's just something to think about. They just didn't use the boat as much as they wanted to because of how much a pain it is to trailer/launch it and do everything that comes with that.

 

2 hours ago, bigbottom said:

Yep, I lived with that for a couple summers.  We had a dock where we could store the boat while we were there using mooring whips, but had to trailer it every time we left the lake house.  It was so much of a pain that we ended up converting the dock into a boathouse with a lift.  Now we can be out on the water within minutes of arriving at the lake house.  Downside is that boathouses are expensive. 

His goal is to have a covered slip (with or without lift) eventually.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In for this.  Bought a house on a lake in October and have gutted/renovated it.  Dock, lift, and boathouse already built.  Now I just need the boat. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Grahamburn said:

In for this.  Bought a house on a lake in October and have gutted/renovated it.  Dock, lift, and boathouse already built.  Now I just need the boat. 

Nice! Definitely do some research to figure out what you want. Really depends on the activities you want to do and you'll find that different types will accommodate different things way better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience over this last week trying to find a boat has been frustrating as hell.

Everything is sold (wake/surf boats).  Boats that aren't sold have deposits on them.  Saw a Regal in Austin Monday, had never heard of them.  Did some research and figured I would settle... called yesterday and its gone.  mother effers.

Starting to think I'm just gonna chill for a couple months, maybe the year and try again.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, matuski said:

My experience over this last week trying to find a boat has been frustrating as hell.

Everything is sold (wake/surf boats).  Boats that aren't sold have deposits on them.  Saw a Regal in Austin Monday, had never heard of them.  Did some research and figured I would settle... called yesterday and its gone.  mother effers.

Starting to think I'm just gonna chill for a couple months, maybe the year and try again.

 

What is driving the demand? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

What is driving the demand? 

Being locked up?  Maybe the factories had to shut down and supply is scarce?

I believe it is the former, these guys are saying how the business has never been better.  Which leads to another point of suckage... you will pay MSRP, or apparently more for the most desirable boats.

Edited by matuski
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, matuski said:

My experience over this last week trying to find a boat has been frustrating as hell.

Everything is sold (wake/surf boats).  Boats that aren't sold have deposits on them.  Saw a Regal in Austin Monday, had never heard of them.  Did some research and figured I would settle... called yesterday and its gone.  mother effers.

Starting to think I'm just gonna chill for a couple months, maybe the year and try again.

 

Thats just crazy.  I've been considering getting one for a while too, but have the same issues.  THeres nothing to buy in Central MS.  Have to go to Louisiana or Texas to find any inventory.  

I've never been a boater, so a I know nothing, but my neighbor has said he'll teach me.  We live near a big lake that has a neighborhood marina.  I think its $125 a month, but its not covered.  He keeps his at a bigger marina a few miles away.  Said its $265, but they dry store it for you and have it gassed up and ready in the water whenever you need them.   Just give them a short heads up.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

Thats just crazy.  I've been considering getting one for a while too, but have the same issues.  THeres nothing to buy in Central MS.  Have to go to Louisiana or Texas to find any inventory.  

I've never been a boater, so a I know nothing, but my neighbor has said he'll teach me.  We live near a big lake that has a neighborhood marina.  I think its $125 a month, but its not covered.  He keeps his at a bigger marina a few miles away.  Said its $265, but they dry store it for you and have it gassed up and ready in the water whenever you need them.   Just give them a short heads up.  

Even more maddening is the inventory shows online... but you go to look at it - gone.

eta - yea looking into dry dock storage.

Edited by matuski
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, matuski said:

Being locked up?  Maybe the factories had to shut down and supply is scarce?

I believe it is the former, these guys are saying how the business has never been better.

I have a friend that runs a local bike store.  He said a few weeks into the pandemic that he couldn't keep bikes on the shelf.  Stuff that had been sitting for 2-3 years was being sold.  He said after its gone they might close though because the supply of new inventory is gone.  

I guess its the same for the boating industry?   Your $5-10k family vacation get canceled?  Might as well buy a boat and stay at home?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...