What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boats - a thread about them (2 Viewers)

matuski said:
Expensive boat noob mistake.  Drove a few miles with biminy up.  Prob reached 65 mph.  I could see I screwed up.

Dealer: "I've never seen one bent like this."  :lmao:

He is going to put in a warranty submission, told me about 0% chance it is approved.  :cry:  
Not sure how expensive the replacement will be, but for what it's worth, I took off mine right after we bought it and I've never once put it back on.

Will do. Talked to my wife more recently though and it looks like we'll be keeping it at least through next summer.
For a well kept boat from someone I iknow, ill wait, buying a boat is a long process which requires patience.

@MTskibumYou buy it by any chance? Was going to send you the link and saw it already sold.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/1101444-fs-2002-wellcraft-scarab-sport-32-a.html
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2916449998467208/

This boat is half the price of the scarab, although the couple pictures do not do a good job of selling it. I may kick around the boat, although if it is a good deal it will sell before I get around to purchasing.

If the owner has it overpriced because of a bad transom, broken electronics, etc. Then I might have a chance at getting it at a reduced price.

@jb1020

Below is a decent boat in Mississippi. It will hold its value well, is well equipped, new wiring, new hydraulic lines. It would be worth checking out and would hold its value good over the next year or two if you decide you do not like boating.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/1104241-2007-pioneer-197sf-2018-175-suzuki.html#post13904211
Thanks for the heads up, but I'm in the market for a wake boat.  We live near a nice lake and I just want something to tool around in on a few afternoons after work and the weekends.  That looks like a boat I can get to the Bahamas in.  

I"m trying to wrap my mind around the differences in all the wake boarding boats now.  I like the V Drive boats mainly for the nice seating configuration.  I'm finally winning the battle with my wife that more often than not its just going to be the 5 of us, plus a friend or two for the kids.  Maybe 4 adults and 4-5 kids at most.  

But for a guy like me that has little to no experience with boating and wake boarding why would I spend $47k on this 2006 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV instead of $28k on this 2005 Mastercraft X2.  

Both top brands, both similar in age...what warrants the $20k difference?  We're beginner boaters, isn't it wise to go with the cheaper boat?  Or will the wake be that much different?  

I'm sure these are dumb questions, but these are the thoughts I'm mulling over these days.  

Also, best time of year to buy?  

But for a guy like me that has little to no experience with boating and wake boarding why would I spend $47k on this 2006 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV instead of $28k on this 2005 Mastercraft X2.  

Both top brands, both similar in age...what warrants the $20k difference?  We're beginner boaters, isn't it wise to go with the cheaper boat?  Or will the wake be that much different?  

When I looked at MC and Malibu I found WIDELY varying trim levels so pay attention to what you are getting with each boat. 23' vs 21' is noticeable in room (love my 21 but already wish I had done the 23).  If you are looking for surf, I think the Malibu is going to give you more, but there are always cheap (relatively) ways to create a wave behind a boat.

Buying used maybe wait till the off season?  I dunno, I think prices will stay high for the next year or so.. but I am not an expert.  I am told that early in the year is when boat manufacturers will bring back incentives/discounts.  :shrug:

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm in the market for a wake boat.  We live near a nice lake and I just want something to tool around in on a few afternoons after work and the weekends.  That looks like a boat I can get to the Bahamas in.  

I"m trying to wrap my mind around the differences in all the wake boarding boats now.  I like the V Drive boats mainly for the nice seating configuration.  I'm finally winning the battle with my wife that more often than not its just going to be the 5 of us, plus a friend or two for the kids.  Maybe 4 adults and 4-5 kids at most.  

I'm sure these are dumb questions, but these are the thoughts I'm mulling over these days.  

It is impossible to tell from the pictures, you need to look in the bilge, look in the consoles, check wiring, check if all of the systems work, etc.

Brand does matter a little bit when a boat is 10+ years old, but maintenance matters more.  For example a mid tier boat that has been rewired and the engine well maintained would be a better purchase than a higher tier boat with maintenance neglected.

However, the bigger cost difference is related to size. The Mailibu is 2 feet shorter and has 6" less beam. This is about 25 square feet less in area. In addition the Malibu has a much bigger engine, 8.1 liter verse 5.7 liter. Engine size is a big driver in total cost of the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I looked at MC and Malibu I found WIDELY varying trim levels so pay attention to what you are getting with each boat. 23' vs 21' is noticeable in room (love my 21 but already wish I had done the 23).  If you are looking for surf, I think the Malibu is going to give you more, but there are always cheap (relatively) ways to create a wave behind a boat.

Buying used maybe wait till the off season?  I dunno, I think prices will stay high for the next year or so.. but I am not an expert.  I am told that early in the year is when boat manufacturers will bring back incentives/discounts.  :shrug:
I don't think I'll  be in the market for a new boat this year or the next.  I didn't know if Sept-October was a good time to get a used boat off of someone.  The Budget I'm comfortable with is $35-40k.  

I don't think I'll  be in the market for a new boat this year or the next.  I didn't know if Sept-October was a good time to get a used boat off of someone.  The Budget I'm comfortable with is $35-40k.  
This can be especially true if you shop in the north as people who want to sell will unload them before paying for off season storage. 

Honestly I couldn't even find options like yours a month ago.  I intended from the get go to buy used, just ran out of patience.

Kind of unrelated, but I bought a paddle board to fill my water sports need for the rest of the summer.  I thought it would be for me, but my kids took right to it.  I took them to this park on the water 5 out of the first 6 days we had it.  We didn't go on the 7th day and this happened.    The pier in the picture is where we'd sit and watch the 5, 8 and 10 year old paddle out.  

It was initially deems a gator "attack" but they since changed the wording to "incidental contact" with a gator.  This is not helping with my patience...the kids and the paddle board might not be a good idea.  I've grown up on this lake for 37 years and have never once heard of any incidents with gators, though you see them all the time.  

Scary stuff...not sure I'll feel good about the paddle board anymore.  

Honestly I couldn't even find options like yours a month ago.  I intended from the get go to buy used, just ran out of patience.
Been looking for 5-6 months now and there does seem to be a lot more used options coming up daily.  I've seen lots of "sale pending" ads  that get relisted too.  

@matuski

How much is your friend dropping on the boat house?  I have one already built with an attached dock and lift, but it probably needs some rehab before I can use it. 

For a single boat slip boathouse with a shingled hip roof, the cost will range from $15-20K depending on how much deck you add and boat lift. For a boathouse with two slips and a decent size deck down the middle, the range will be $30-40K.

That is way overpriced.

I do not think so, a 2007 hull with a trailer is probably around 10,000 dollars.  A rewire if done correctly is 2-3k, A Rhodan trolling motor is 2k, new steering ~300, 2 year old engine ~10,000 dollars.

I would look at it if it was closer. Alot depends on the quality of the rewire, and the overall maintenance of the boat and trailer and if there are any issues that are not mentioned.

It may or may not be a decent deal, but would be worth looking over. If the trailer has brand new hubs, springs, tires, and wiring, then it could practically be a brand new setup at a fraction of the cost of a new boat.

Hopefully the new rewire looks like :

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030354/uploads/editor/un/tjxv5br6ofwg.jpg

and not like:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030354/uploads/editor/1i/kbtnxwyqn0zi.jpeg

Wellcraft is more of an entry level boat. This model is known for having soft deck and stringer issues. So it may need 3-5k of work right of the bat in addition to engines. The guy has not texted back yet, so even with those downsides my guess is it has sold.

There was a mid 90's hydrasport 2596 with the kevlar hull for sell a couple weeks ago for 16k and I did not call right away and it sold in a day before I could go look at it. That would have been a better hull to dump money into. 

That is very similar to my boat. Including the color. 
Yeah, you've had a good time with yours right?  

I'm still so hesitant/nervous.  My neighbor still says he'll take me (he has a mastercraft) out and show me the ropes on all this boating, but hasn't come thru yet.  I've gotten to the point where I'm probably obnoxious about asking to go out.  So I'm done asking him.    

I'f the right boat comes in at $30k or so I might jump on it.  It seems crazy, cause I know nothing about boats.  Its not like you can rent a wake boat anywhere, at least that I've found.  My wife and I just sit on the porch nearly every night looking at the water thinking about how much fun it would be. 

Its like buying a $30k car and having no licenses or ever driven a car.   

I'm still so hesitant/nervous.  My neighbor still says he'll take me (he has a mastercraft) out and show me the ropes on all this boating, but hasn't come thru yet.  I've gotten to the point where I'm probably obnoxious about asking to go out.  So I'm done asking him.    

I'f the right boat comes in at $30k or so I might jump on it.  It seems crazy, cause I know nothing about boats.  Its not like you can rent a wake boat anywhere, at least that I've found.  My wife and I just sit on the porch nearly every night looking at the water thinking about how much fun it would be. 

This is our first year with a boat and I can relate.  Just like anything, it takes awhile to get comfortable behind the wheel.  Especially at the dock putting in and taking out.

Expensive boat noob mistake.  Drove a few miles with biminy up.  Prob reached 65 mph.  I could see I screwed up.

Dealer: "I've never seen one bent like this."  :lmao:

He is going to put in a warranty submission, told me about 0% chance it is approved.  :cry:  
This thread reminded me to call one more time to check.

Freaking Nautique approved a replacement under warranty.... :pickle:

Yes indeed, it's been a blast.  I was a first time boat buyer and had no idea what I was doing.  Even now, five years later, I hardly have a clue, but it's not been a big deal.  It's good to have a dependable local shop for tune-ups, maintenance and winterizing (if your locale requires).

Buddy of mine bought a lake house last weekend.  I mentioned to him I want to buy a boat but all the ancillary costs keep me from doing it.  He has offered to let me keep my boat at his place (on his covered lift or garage pending needs).  

His proposal - I buy a boat, keep it at his lake house, he gets to use my boat, I get to use his lake house.

No brainer.

So now I need a boat.  I looked high and low.. have decided I want an entry levelish boat that can do everything well enough.  I have found the Yamaha jet boats and think i may go with the 212x or 210s.   Anyone have experience with these?  I like the no propeller (the lake we will be on is notorious for claiming a prop now and then), the safety of it, tha ability to do shallow water.  But I have only been on prop boats, recently inboard surf boats (Nautique G23 and MB Tomcat22).  I realize the yamaha wont touch that wave, but it seems good enough to start with?

Faust reminded me @Joe Bryant is in the business.  Weird no thread.
How far I have come in 3 months.

Own a great boat.  Buddy owns a great house.  Buddy builiding a luxury dock/lift to house the boat, I am subsidizing his lot to be re-platted to better suit our needs.

I have put 40 hours in on the boat in two months (7 weeks?)...... seeems low in my mind versus the amount of happiness and friendship development. Family, friends, friends of freinds..... this boat is all and more I had hoped for.  My boys love this more than life.  My friends are fighting over boat time.

Not the best financial decision - but when the hell else am i going to capitalize on...  my sons as teenagers (time), my best friends kids as teenagers (time),  people I never knew as neighbors/friends/business partners (time).... my boat has turned my relationship building into NOXSPLODE.

So I retract the bad financial decision portion of it... within weeks I have customer surgeons, and entirely unforeseeen opportunities open up via my boat.

Both personally and business-wise ... wtf why didnt I do this years ago?

Own a great boat.  Buddy owns a great house.  Buddy builiding a luxury dock/lift to house the boat, I am subsidizing his lot to be re-platted to better suit our needs.

I have put 40 hours in on the boat in two months (7 weeks?)...... seeems low in my mind versus the amount of happiness and friendship development. Family, friends, friends of freinds..... this boat is all and more I had hoped for.  My boys love this more than life.  My friends are fighting over boat time.

Not the best financial decision - but when the hell else am i going to capitalize on...  my sons as teenagers (time), my best friends kids as teenagers (time),  people I never knew as neighbors/friends/business partners (time).... my boat has turned my relationship building into NOXSPLODE.

So I retract the bad financial decision portion of it... within weeks I have customer surgeons, and entirely unforeseeen opportunities open up via my boat.

So awesome. Congrats!

Boats are starting to stick on craigslist for a little longer. The below would be an ideal boat, however it is too much of a project at that price. I have already talked to the owner and it has original tanks and stringers and that boat is notorious for needing those replaced. Even though it has new engines it is too much money for a big project like that.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/bay-city-sl5-seacat/7180980548.html
You seem pretty knowledgeable on boats and what needs to be done. Is there a good site or do I need to remember to PM you in a few years when I am looking? Short recap, but my wife and I are looking to retire on a lake and likely looking at something like a pontoon boat and a jet ski. Probably 3-5 years out as we still have 5 years left of pre-college school so we may buy earlier than we actually fully move. I might also be interested in more of a fishing type boat as well.

Not really sure until we know where we move, but it would be nice to know of good places to find out about reliability, commons issues, etc. I definitely would like to go used. As you mentioned, it wouldn’t shock me if more lake houses and boats are available at better prices in a few years when people who dove in due to COVID are looking to unload.

You seem pretty knowledgeable on boats and what needs to be done. Is there a good site or do I need to remember to PM you in a few years when I am looking? Short recap, but my wife and I are looking to retire on a lake and likely looking at something like a pontoon boat and a jet ski. Probably 3-5 years out as we still have 5 years left of pre-college school so we may buy earlier than we actually fully move. I might also be interested in more of a fishing type boat as well.

Not really sure until we know where we move, but it would be nice to know of good places to find out about reliability, commons issues, etc. I definitely would like to go used. As you mentioned, it wouldn’t shock me if more lake houses and boats are available at better prices in a few years when people who dove in due to COVID are looking to unload.
For fishing boats the site is thehulltruth.com and there are very knowledgeable people as it comes to pontoons as well. Not much discussion about jet skis or wake boats though. I do not know where to go to find detailed information on them.

I have owned boats for ~10 years, but I am still a noob compared to many people on thehulltruth.

Thats awesome to know.  I still have the major itch to pull the trigger, but so many factors will make it easier to buy in next spring.  

For fishing boats the site is thehulltruth.com and there are very knowledgeable people as it comes to pontoons as well. Not much discussion about jet skis or wake boats though. I do not know where to go to find detailed information on them.

I have owned boats for ~10 years, but I am still a noob compared to many people on thehulltruth.
Thanks! Jet ski I’d be less worried about because unless you get a Mack daddy, new is reasonable. Boats can be crazy expensive and I wouldn’t want to go cheap and have issues or spend way too much.

Users who are viewing this thread