What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The future of Police forces in the U.S. (1 Viewer)

gobrowns33

Footballguy
Just a thought and figured I would see other opinions.  But who in their right mind would be a police officer in this country after the past few years.  Even if you offered me 250k a year, it would be a hard pass...and I am in the military!  I would rather spend a year in Afghanistan at my current pay, then a year as a police officer in a major city (even if offered 250k a year).  I probably wouldn't do it for half a million a year!

Is the police force going to end up with more and more bad apples, because no else is crazy enough to do the job?  It has got be one of the worst occupation in the country at this point.  

Last edited by a moderator:
A very touchy subject for sure.  As an armed officer, you MUST play by the rules of the force continuum, but the bad guys don't.  Often you will find yourself having to decide in a split second what the right call is.  If you go a step too low in the continuum, you could be overpowered.  If you go a step too high, you are at risk of looking like a bully with a badge.  If you spend any amount of time in the career field, you will eventually end up in one of these situations.

Just a thought and figured I would see other opinions.  But who in their right mind would be a police officer in this country after the past few years.  Even if you offered me 250k a year, it would be a hard pass...and I am in the military!  I would rather spend a year in Afghanistan at my current pay, then a year as a police officer in a major city (even if offered 250k a year).  I probably wouldn't do it for half a million a year!

Is the police force going to end up with more and more bad apples, because no else is crazy enough to do the job?  It has got be one of the worst occupation in the country at this point.  

Honestly, I'm glad you don't want to be a cop. We need fewer ex-military on police forces. Cops aren't at war with American citizens. And they shouldn't have a soldier's mentality.

Will never understand why anyone would want to be a cop or a teacher. The way kids are brought up today leads to kids thinking they are above everything.  I know a couple teachers and one is definitely getting out of the profession. Police literally cant do anything without scrutiny.  And neither profession pays anything close to what is deserved. 

For starters, cops should be closer to teachers in their education and training. Also their should really be two divisions. The ones who show up to armed stand offs and deal with violent drug dealers shouldn’t be the same people who do wellness checks, take reports on missing peoples, enforce misdemeanors, etc. You do need one group that is well armed and trained but most of the issues need more of a social workers mentality. 

Will never understand why anyone would want to be a cop or a teacher. The way kids are brought up today leads to kids thinking they are above everything.  I know a couple teachers and one is definitely getting out of the profession. Police literally cant do anything without scrutiny.  And neither profession pays anything close to what is deserved. 
My issues as a teacher are far less with the kids and much more with bureaucratic BS and the over the top CYA paperwork/documentation.

Honestly, I'm glad you don't want to be a cop. We need fewer ex-military on police forces. Cops aren't at war with American citizens. And they shouldn't have a soldier's mentality.
I would agree, the rules of engagement or much different. What I would like to see is better training for the police ala military. There are plenty of private courses that would enable cops to diffuse situations better than just pulling a gun or trying to confront someone with force.

For starters, cops should be closer to teachers in their education and training. Also their should really be two divisions. The ones who show up to armed stand offs and deal with violent drug dealers shouldn’t be the same people who do wellness checks, take reports on missing peoples, enforce misdemeanors, etc. You do need one group that is well armed and trained but most of the issues need more of a social workers mentality. 
Agree with this as well although you are going down a slippery slope here and almost advocating for a militia style force within the force. We have that today with SWAT and the many task forces that are formed for this. Could it be done better? Sure, always, as is evident from what we are seeing unfold across the country.

Depends on what community the police work.  Where we live the police basically drive around and maybe on a busy day give a couple of rolling stop sign violations without having an actual run to make.   In Detroit the police I know get 10-12 real runs a shift and can`t even make them all at times.  So their stress levels on the job are much different.

Depends on what community the police work.  Where we live the police basically drive around and maybe on a busy day give a couple of rolling stop sign violations without having an actual run to make.   In Detroit the police I know get 10-12 real runs a shift and can`t even make them all at times.  So their stress levels on the job are much different.
The theory is that the work could make those dangerous neighborhoods safer because instead of dealing with problems as they occur, they are helping to better the community by preventing problems. Developing relationships is the most important thing. The issue is right now people in those neighborhoods don't trust the police and the police don't trust the people in the neighborhoods. I feel there should be a altogether different unit working on the ground to solve community issues. Sending in the police with guns should be more of a last resort than it is. Local community members should be on law enforcement boards for their communities so they have a say in protocol and chances to review behavior. More similar to how schools work. 

I would agree, the rules of engagement or much different. What I would like to see is better training for the police ala military. There are plenty of private courses that would enable cops to diffuse situations better than just pulling a gun or trying to confront someone with force.

Agree with this as well although you are going down a slippery slope here and almost advocating for a militia style force within the force. We have that today with SWAT and the many task forces that are formed for this. Could it be done better? Sure, always, as is evident from what we are seeing unfold across the country.
I think we currently have a military force. I am talking about reducing it as much as possible. Think more maintenance and prevention than waiting for emergencies to happen.  

The theory is that the work could make those dangerous neighborhoods safer because instead of dealing with problems as they occur, they are helping to better the community by preventing problems. Developing relationships is the most important thing. The issue is right now people in those neighborhoods don't trust the police and the police don't trust the people in the neighborhoods. I feel there should be a altogether different unit working on the ground to solve community issues. Sending in the police with guns should be more of a last resort than it is. Local community members should be on law enforcement boards for their communities so they have a say in protocol and chances to review behavior. More similar to how schools work. 
I got pulled over last week in Plymouth and felt my heart racing when I saw the lights in that black SUV go on.  Then watching the officer walking up in my mirror he undoes his holster.  I put both my hands on the steering wheel.

Exactly.   A cop in a suburban town seems like a cushy gig especially if you're not interested in the white collar route.   

Personally I would never want to be a cop or teacher or anything blue collar for that matter, but a lot of people aren't cut out for the white collar world.   

In general the Police do a lot more good than bad, they pull over and enforce traffic and local laws we as citizens pay them to enforce in order to keep us relatively safe. 

None of that excuses anything by any of them however let's not pretend they don't keep most of our neighborhoods safe in general and allow us to operate our lives relatively risk free of most major crimes. 

It's foolish and shortsighted to lump all police into the same boat as the 4 who killed George Floyd. If I treated all people of one race or another based on the actions of a few, that wouldnt be very smart IMO. 

Mr Floyd couldn't breathe even though he wanted to, could I ask everyone to join me in breathing because this thread could go in many directions but it would be really good for everyone if we could find some "COMMON" ground vs tearing each other apart over some differences we may have. 

-I would also encourage this forum and it's community to try and look past some of the immediate stress being forced upon all of us and the Police right now and see what we can do to calm things down but remain steadfast in making "Real Progress" and not just a lot of yelling and screaming and banging trash cans and generating violence and violent behavior so we can use these great brains and ability to critically think and start presenting ideas vs condemning a system that we know needs "updating" I'll say vs fixing which seems to alienate a few folks for whatever the reasons but mainly I think it's because they don't view the system as currently broken or in need of repairs. 

We need the Police but we also need to be honest that they have been forced to buy up a lot of military technology over the years and have turned from the old Sheriff-West days into a para-military group that seems to be the right hand extension of the government vs protecting citizens, that's how I view it at the moment. 

I'm interested in what others have to say. 

Cheers!

I got pulled over last week in Plymouth and felt my heart racing when I saw the lights in that black SUV go on.  Then watching the officer walking up in my mirror he undoes his holster.  I put both my hands on the steering wheel.
When I was younger, I was harassed by the police several times. Driving in a suspicious neighborhood (where my best friend lived but also happened to be on the border of a mostly black city) a couple times, car searched for no reason and cops being a-holes, etc. I never felt concerned for my safety but it was also ridiculous. There were also some close calls that I got the benefit of the doubt- most notably with a bunch of weed on me, friend driving had been drinking and was underage. Luckily his dad was a former cop and dropping that got us off no problem. 

Exactly.   A cop in a suburban town seems like a cushy gig especially if you're not interested in the white collar route.   

Personally I would never want to be a cop or teacher or anything blue collar for that matter, but a lot of people aren't cut out for the white collar world.   
I don't think I would consider teachers blue collar but that's relatively unimportant for this thread. 

When I was younger, I was harassed by the police several times. Driving in a suspicious neighborhood (where my best friend lived but also happened to be on the border of a mostly black city) a couple times, car searched for no reason and cops being a-holes, etc. I never felt concerned for my safety but it was also ridiculous. There were also some close calls that I got the benefit of the doubt- most notably with a bunch of weed on me, friend driving had been drinking and was underage. Luckily his dad was a former cop and dropping that got us off no problem. 
I grew up off Outer Drive in Detroit.    We had run ins with Detroit Police quite often.

I think we currently have a military force. I am talking about reducing it as much as possible. Think more maintenance and prevention than waiting for emergencies to happen.  
I'd disagree. There maybe a fair amount of former military in the police force (I don't think there is but don't know) but that doesn't mean they are a military force. Lot of stuff mentioned already in this thread but I think we all agree, this isn't a position a lot of people grow up saying, "I want to be a cop." You're not always getting the cream of the crop but you're in a position to take what you get because you're always understaffed. Like nurses and teachers, they are overworked and probably just trying to tread water in larger cities.

If you want to make them an effect force, they need better stress training in order to react accordingly when those situations come up. It won't stop all the problems but it would go a long to stopping stuff like what gave rise to the current crisis we find our country in.

I'd disagree. There maybe a fair amount of former military in the police force (I don't think there is but don't know) but that doesn't mean they are a military force. Lot of stuff mentioned already in this thread but I think we all agree, this isn't a position a lot of people grow up saying, "I want to be a cop." You're not always getting the cream of the crop but you're in a position to take what you get because you're always understaffed. Like nurses and teachers, they are overworked and probably just trying to tread water in larger cities.

If you want to make them an effect force, they need better stress training in order to react accordingly when those situations come up. It won't stop all the problems but it would go a long to stopping stuff like what gave rise to the current crisis we find our country in.
They look more like military forces than the police officers I remember when I was younger. Tanks, humvees, body armor, snipers, WARRIOR training, Navy Seal training, etc. They raid homes without knocking  and often for consensual crimes. I think the Founding Fathers would think of how police in major cities operate to be an occupying army as much as anything. Now I agree that there is a need for this to a degree and the Founding Fathers were neither perfect nor totally prescient. However, we need more working with the community to improve it and less aggression. 

They look more like military forces than the police officers I remember when I was younger. Tanks, humvees, body armor, snipers, WARRIOR training, Navy Seal training, etc. They raid homes without knocking  and often for consensual crimes. I think the Founding Fathers would think of how police in major cities operate to be an occupying army as much as anything. Now I agree that there is a need for this to a degree and the Founding Fathers were neither perfect nor totally prescient. However, we need more working with the community to improve it and less aggression. 
we talking regular patrolman or swat?   

Do they? Seriously asking, don't know. I feel like there would be more in the news about this if it was happening frequently but again, don't know.

To your point they have better toys now, yes. Thank 9/11 for that. A lot of departments received piles of money for all the "want but could never have" stuff and no one blinked as they loaded up.

Your last sentence is counter-insurgency 101 and kinda what I've been trying to elude to. In order to be effective within the community they patrol in, you need cops from that community that live there when they get off work. This is what worked overseas and it will work here as well but then we get back to how many people are signing up to be police officers these days? It's a tough situation and not something we'll resolve here but the discourse has to start at some point.

Being a cop today is a no win situation.   You could lose your life at any moment, you have a fine line of being too forceful or not enough (and risk death to yourself).  Because of all of this the people that would actually make good cops do not want the hassle or risk of doing so which means that many with the wrong attitude end up being the only choices which escalates the situation. 

Many of you have already said building a better relationship between LE and community is the best way to right the ship.  I totally agree with this.  I also think the unions are too strong and make it very difficult to get rid of the bad apples.  The union's biggest protection is to keep officers jobs so the firing process is difficult.  At some point the union leadership needs to take ownership and weed out the bad apples quickly which will help in a lot of ways as well.

FWIW, I am not a cop, but I do carry at work.  We play war games often, and many times we are forced into a shot or not decision.  If we shoot, we must justify it, or they unarm us for real, and make us think about what we did.  And while we are unarmed, it sucks.  They don't make us scrub toilets or anything, but let's just say a few unarmed shifts can drag on forever.  What does this lead to?  You guessed it - many of my coworkers are afraid to fire their weapons, even though we are only playing laser tag.  Our goal as a guard force is to protect the place I work, and we sometimes lose drills because people won't shoot.

We need the Police but we also need to be honest that they have been forced to buy up a lot of military technology over the years and have turned from the old Sheriff-West days into a para-military group that seems to be the right hand extension of the government vs protecting citizens, that's how I view it at the moment. 

"updating" I'll say vs fixing which seems to alienate a few folks for whatever the reasons but mainly I think it's because they don't view the system as currently broken or in need of repairs
🤙

The pay is good (once you get hired by a decently-sized municipality), the benefits are often fantastic, and statistically you are far safer than being in the military (or many other careers). Plus, there's room for every type of personality, whether you're Tackleberry or Uncle Frank.

we talking regular patrolman or swat?   
I am not talking about disarming SWAT  but it does seem like every cop has access to SWAT style gear now (even though many inner city schools don't have access to modern tech and sometimes even functional safe buildings. I have been in schools in Detroit where the library books are 30 years old, the ceilings leak, toilet paper is a precious commodity (precovid lol) and the heat barely works. It does send a certain message when people head out to protest police violence and the police show up armed like a paramilitary force. Now of course when looting and rioting happen, the police need to respond and protect themselves. However, when that is how they start the protest, it reinforces the worries of the community. 

Do they? Seriously asking, don't know. I feel like there would be more in the news about this if it was happening frequently but again, don't know.

To your point they have better toys now, yes. Thank 9/11 for that. A lot of departments received piles of money for all the "want but could never have" stuff and no one blinked as they loaded up.

Your last sentence is counter-insurgency 101 and kinda what I've been trying to elude to. In order to be effective within the community they patrol in, you need cops from that community that live there when they get off work. This is what worked overseas and it will work here as well but then we get back to how many people are signing up to be police officers these days? It's a tough situation and not something we'll resolve here but the discourse has to start at some point.
Breonna Taylor, the paramedic who the police killed in Kentucky recently was killed in a no-knock raid. They were looking for a drug dealer and for whatever reason thought he could be at her home (turns out when the raid happened, they had already detained the suspect). Plain clothes officers entered her home without knocking at midnight. She and her BF were asleep in bed. As one might do when people violently burst into your home in the middle of the night, her boyfriend fired at them. They returned fire killing Breonna and wounding her BF. Her BF was arrested for attempted murder of an officer (charges have since been dropped once the story went viral). The warrant was legal. A judge signed off on a no-knock warrant which allows police to enter a home without knocking and without identifying themselves as police. The cops claim they knocked several times and identified themselves. We can't know for sure because they all turned their body cams off. There IMO is no justificstion for a raid like this in the middle of the night for a non-violent offender. They did not believe Taylor was a drug dealer but that the drug dealers may have stored drugs at her house. They found no drugs in the raid. As of 2015, there are about 20,000 of these no-knock raids made a year. 

I caused a 3-vehicle wreck on M5 yesterday evening and the Oakland County Deputy Sheriff all but high-fived me. I received every possible benefit of the doubt 

I caused a 3-vehicle wreck on M5 yesterday evening and the Oakland County Deputy Sheriff all but high-fived me. I received every possible benefit of the doubt 
Good for you!  I got a 180.00 dollar stop sign ticket.

Interesting note from the 538 podcast. Over the last decade or so, people killed by the police has remained steady. The numbers have been going down in the 30 largest major cities but increasing in suburbs and rural areas to balance the overall trend. Interesting takes on the theories for why. 

The 538 podcast from Monday is really a must listen for anyone interested in the topic 

Breonna Taylor, the paramedic who the police killed in Kentucky recently was killed in a no-knock raid. They were looking for a drug dealer and for whatever reason thought he could be at her home (turns out when the raid happened, they had already detained the suspect). Plain clothes officers entered her home without knocking at midnight. She and her BF were asleep in bed. As one might do when people violently burst into your home in the middle of the night, her boyfriend fired at them. They returned fire killing Breonna and wounding her BF. Her BF was arrested for attempted murder of an officer (charges have since been dropped once the story went viral). The warrant was legal. A judge signed off on a no-knock warrant which allows police to enter a home without knocking and without identifying themselves as police. The cops claim they knocked several times and identified themselves. We can't know for sure because they all turned their body cams off. There IMO is no justificstion for a raid like this in the middle of the night for a non-violent offender. They did not believe Taylor was a drug dealer but that the drug dealers may have stored drugs at her house. They found no drugs in the raid. As of 2015, there are about 20,000 of these no-knock raids made a year. 
In this case the cops serving the warrant should not be at fault and they did nothing wrong.  The root cause of this situation is the warrant process and serving the warrant at the wrong address.  In order to prevent these situation (very sad but I wouldn't consider this police brutality), you need to solve the root cause of the incident and that was not having the correct person/address on the warrant.

In this case the cops serving the warrant should not be at fault and they did nothing wrong.  The root cause of this situation is the warrant process and serving the warrant at the wrong address.  In order to prevent these situation (very sad but I wouldn't consider this police brutality), you need to solve the root cause of the incident and that was not having the correct person/address on the warrant.
I think there’s several issues here. Was is necessary to ask for the no knock warrant for someone who might be hiding drugs? Why turn body cams off? Why raid the house at midnight? Why plain clothes officers, wouldn’t you want them in uniform for their own safety? The process here was really bad. 

Gally said:
Being a cop today is a no win situation.   You could lose your life at any moment, you have a fine line of being too forceful or not enough (and risk death to yourself).  Because of all of this the people that would actually make good cops do not want the hassle or risk of doing so which means that many with the wrong attitude end up being the only choices which escalates the situation. 

Many of you have already said building a better relationship between LE and community is the best way to right the ship.  I totally agree with this.  I also think the unions are too strong and make it very difficult to get rid of the bad apples.  The union's biggest protection is to keep officers jobs so the firing process is difficult.  At some point the union leadership needs to take ownership and weed out the bad apples quickly which will help in a lot of ways as well.
Excellent post.

I also think that police departments need to hire local. Their patrolmen/women need to be local. Part of the problem is a cop from some far out suburb wakes up and drives into work with a 'going to war' mentality. If they lived where they work, they would automatically be recognized as part of the community, and would have a vested interest in bettering that community.

Excellent post.

I also think that police departments need to hire local. Their patrolmen/women need to be local. Part of the problem is a cop from some far out suburb wakes up and drives into work with a 'going to war' mentality. If they lived where they work, they would automatically be recognized as part of the community, and would have a vested interest in bettering that community.
The 538 podcast had a researcher on who has specialized in this topic for several years and said there are some clear things shown to reduce violent encounters between police and citizens. I don't remember all of them but some major ones were barring the use of chokes, mandatory non-lethal force except at last resort and an emphasis on de-escalation. Those show to significantly lower the issues of police killing or harming people. However, most cities still do not employ any of those strategies. He also said in the city police force is >35% black, the city police is much more likely to believe their needs to be reform and thus by nature reform becomes taken more seriously. He also mentioned a few things that didn't have an impact- one of those was bias training. Not sure I heard the area of residence mentioned but it makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, I believe there is a correlation between police violence and how much training/weapons they get from military sources. I believe there are specific pools of money available for those weapons and training that cities have been encouraged to take advantage of. It seems the places that have invested more in that have had more incidents. That doesn't prove causation and there could be other issues at play. 

Also this kind of ties into our military spending with city police budgets. This seems to really have come into light now as we saw the country seem to struggle to get health care workers the needed protection and supplies - many had to come up with do it yourself alternatives. Yet the entire nation's police force seemed to be suited up like they were headed to a warzone instantly. That doesn't happen by accident- it's the money. LA spends 30% of it's budget on the police. That is the largest item in the budget. Minneapolis spends $193 million on police and 400,000 on crime prevention, $250,000 on youth outreach and $31 million on affordable housing. For lots of reasons the police are always going to be a huge part of a budget. It' important as Americans are pretty violent and lots of people do need protection. However, could we bring these numbers a bit more in balance? How much crime could be prevented with more affordable housing and in creating more opportunities for underprivileged kids? More drug counseling, therapy and mental health? 

Da Guru said:
Maybe you can answer this.  Is there much rotation of officers between high stress and low stress areas?  Do you have to work your way up to get assigned the low stress areas?

Kind of a tough situation because I would think you would want experienced officers in high stress areas, but being on edge and dealing with what they deal with day after day and year after year can't be good for one's psyche.  

TheWinz said:
A very touchy subject for sure.  As an armed officer, you MUST play by the rules of the force continuum, but the bad guys don't.  Often you will find yourself having to decide in a split second what the right call is.  If you go a step too low in the continuum, you could be overpowered.  If you go a step too high, you are at risk of looking like a bully with a badge.  If you spend any amount of time in the career field, you will eventually end up in one of these situations.
The force continuum is not the standard.  It's used most places, but not everywhere.  

http://useofforceproject.org/#project

TheWinz said:
FWIW, I am not a cop, but I do carry at work.  We play war games often, and many times we are forced into a shot or not decision.  If we shoot, we must justify it, or they unarm us for real, and make us think about what we did.  And while we are unarmed, it sucks.  They don't make us scrub toilets or anything, but let's just say a few unarmed shifts can drag on forever.  What does this lead to?  You guessed it - many of my coworkers are afraid to fire their weapons, even though we are only playing laser tag.  Our goal as a guard force is to protect the place I work, and we sometimes lose drills because people won't shoot.
Can humans really be THAT perfect in bang-bang situations? I don't think that can be trained into a person.

(I am curious about what the difference is between an armed shift vs. an unarmed shift. Manning a station is manning a station, isn't it? Either way would seem pretty boring 99% of the time. Unless 'unarmed shift' means 'deskwork').

Maybe you can answer this.  Is there much rotation of officers between high stress and low stress areas?  Do you have to work your way up to get assigned the low stress areas?

Kind of a tough situation because I would think you would want experienced officers in high stress areas, but being on edge and dealing with what they deal with day after day and year after year can't be good for one's psyche.  
I am talking about cities as well.  In my town it is all low stress as I think we have had one shooting in the last 20 years and that was domestic in Detroit they get multible shootings a day at times so it is pretty much all high stress except for the downtown area and stadium district.

I think you bid on areas and openings with seniority.  So the older more experienced police don`t want to deal with all the problems in bad areas.

I am talking about cities as well.  In my town it is all low stress as I think we have had one shooting in the last 20 years and that was domestic in Detroit they get multible shootings a day at times so it is pretty much all high stress except for the downtown area and stadium district.

I think you bid on areas and openings with seniority.  So the older more experienced police don`t want to deal with all the problems in bad areas.
I would be curious what percentage of shootings DPD responses are to an active crime vs a crime scene. 

It looks like there will be more attempts made at increasing bureaucracy and limits placed upon police forces. A greater number of training courses will be implemented all the while increasing oversight and the amount of second-guessing after the fact. (Think Biden being foolish and telling people that police need to shoot knife-wielding attackers in the extremities). Those in charge will legislate the police and inundate them with confusing rules and regulations. Attempts will be made to further “diversify” police forces but will require a lowering of current standards to do so. All of this will result in future police forces that are set up for massive failure as they will be managed by those without a clue about proper police procedures or the use of lethal force and by many officers unprepared for the harsh realities of the world in which we live. 

I would think low, most police calls are reactive.
Same and there’s so many unsolved murders. My student got shot and killed 2 years ago (it was about a month after Hs graduation). Hasn’t been solved. His dad was shot and killed in Detoit 15 years prior. Never solved either.

Same and there’s so many unsolved murders. My student got shot and killed 2 years ago (it was about a month after Hs graduation). Hasn’t been solved. His dad was shot and killed in Detoit 15 years prior. Never solved either.
Maybe the same person did it......

Just like any profession, they need to police themselves better. Otherwise outsiders will have to get involved, and nobody in any profession wants that.

Users who are viewing this thread