What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (2 Viewers)

I don’t think the SEC or ACC care at all what the Midwest or west coast schools do. If the Big 12 plays they’ll run it with 3. 
I don't think they care what they do either.  But if those schools all said no, I don't think the SEC schools are all going to say yes.  I don't see it.

I don't think they care what they do either.  But if those schools all said no, I don't think the SEC schools are all going to say yes.  I don't see it.
Again, why are you convinced this wouldn't happen when we have the state of Georgia sending kids back to school without requiring masks? 

Trevor Lawrence doesn't have to play another down to open up opportunities at the pro level.  He's a top 3 pick regardless if this season is played or not.  

Of course he wants to play, I believe all of them want to play.  And I believe all of them are concerned about safety.  They know what they're doing day to day and if they feel like it is safer than leaving kids to their own, then why should we rip them for their opinion?  
Well if history has taught us anything, it’s that big time college athletes never party and never get into trouble thanks to the structure in place.

Again, why are you convinced this wouldn't happen when we have the state of Georgia sending kids back to school without requiring masks? 

SEC and ACC holding strong for now. Come on, Big12.

I don’t think the SEC or ACC care at all what the Midwest or west coast schools do. If the Big 12 plays they’ll run it with 3. 
SEC commissioner: Unlikely SEC will play football if all other conferences cancel season

not sure what good this does but....

@max_olson: As @drewdavison reported, sources confirm the Big 12 could release its revised conference schedule tonight if the conference's presidents take no action in their meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news Gasparilla Bad Boy Mowers Fans!

@RossDellenger: A Group of 5 update, after the end of a hectic day: AAC, Sun Belt & C-USA continue toward a 2020 fall football season, sources in those leagues tell @SINow.

AAC presidents met today. C-USA expected to meet tomorrow.

As long as the Power 5s are hanging, I believe they will too.

Well I'm surprised.  Really didn't think they'd go ahead with the first two conferences dropping out. 

Spring season idea is kinda screwed now.  I wonder if the other two divs wish they could re vote :P

bagger said:
Auburn.  Rings already being made.
At least this national champ (if it happens) will have been won on the field.  Some schools claim paper national championships even though the never played in the actual national championship game.

Well I'm surprised.  Really didn't think they'd go ahead with the first two conferences dropping out. 

Spring season idea is kinda screwed now.  I wonder if the other two divs wish they could re vote :P
This reminds me of a group of kids sent to the principal's office.  While waiting to go in they all agree to take responsibility. When the principal asks the guilty party to step forward, only 2 actually do.

This reminds me of a group of kids sent to the principal's office.  While waiting to go in they all agree to take responsibility. When the principal asks the guilty party to step forward, only 2 actually do.
really good analogy actually lol

At least this national champ (if it happens) will have been won on the field.  Some schools claim paper national championships even though the never played in the actual national championship game.
Sorta.   Ohio State had a legitimate shot to win it this year and now they don't.

Sorta.   Ohio State had a legitimate shot to win it this year and now they don't.
The fans on the OSU boards are out for blood.  I wonder if they're gonna put out new coaches and AP polls after everyone has decided.  We all know how important those preseason polls are.

I think all players should be given an extra year of eligibility, but there is still a domino effect. We're just putting the playing time hurt on next year's incoming freshmen, and there will have to be roster size allowances made if any of that is going to work. Players can sit out, but only if they have a redshirt.

I just hate it for the kids, and Joe Burrow might have been drafted, but he wouldn't have even been picked in the second round.

BTW, players can transfer right now, and the NCAA can grant the waiver. That's not a rule change which needs to be put in place. What I think would need to be put in place is a roster size expansion since I'm also guessing only 3 conferences will even bother with playing in the fall, and I imagine most of those schools are already at the 85 limit. I guess you could land at Vandy or Duke.

The ACC seems like they want to play even more than the SEC. SEC says it won't go it alone. I think they'll do it as a 3 some with the Big12. I don't know about 2. I hope Austin isn't making the decisions for the other schools.
I’m not sure the acc/sec would go alone. Guess they could put champ against champ but sheesh what a farce. You don’t really need the Pac 10 to crown a legit champ but losing OSU kind of makes the whole thing feel cheap. If they even play. 

I’m not sure the acc/sec would go alone. Guess they could put champ against champ but sheesh what a farce. You don’t really need the Pac 10 to crown a legit champ but losing OSU kind of makes the whole thing feel cheap. If they even play. 
You can only play the guys on the schedule.  Imagine 3 SEC teams in the CFP.  You think the riots are bad now?

Pipes said:
0 chance a spring season happens.  Football players need an offseason to allow their bodies to heal and then prepare for an upcoming grueling season.  A couple of months isn't enough time to accomplish that.
I really like the idea of a P5 single elimination tournament. Similar to March Madness. Spread over 6 weeks. Only two teams play 6 games, only four teams play 5 games, etc. Late Jan to early March. Yes, some draft eligible players would still drop out. But you lower the injury and Covid risk with fewer games. Have pods for games some multiple teams are all in there for a number of games without others. Similar to March Madness sites. Not too much wear on most players and then start up the fall as normal in early September. 

Can't one of these engineering nerd schools come up with a fully enclosed supplied air uniform?

What about robots?

Not an original thought, but "interesting" how conference decisions are mostly coming down to blue vs red.   Sigh.

Wonder how all of this affects recruiting and signing dates?
I know they have an early signing period in NOV/DEC........and then an official Signing Day in late JAN

But you would have to guess that conferences that play in the fall would have a huge advantage as schools playing would get TV game coverage, not to mention the sport talk programs on various media sites.  And recruits would get to see how they may fit into a scheme, depth charts, etc.     Recruits trying to go to a non-playing school would have more unknowns.

I was thinking the same thing.
I mean, kinda but not really?

A lot of these states flip flop from election to election and are probably more accurately labeled purple. Many are probably switching this election, but these states all voted for Trump in 2016:

Michigan, Ohio, PA, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin.

That represents 9 of the 14 teams.

The PAC-12 is obviously a different story. That’s 9-3 in favor of blue state schools.

I mean, kinda but not really?

A lot of these states flip flop from election to election and are probably more accurately labeled purple. Many are probably switching this election, but these states all voted for Trump in 2016:

Michigan, Ohio, PA, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin.

That represents 9 of the 14 teams.

The PAC-12 is obviously a different story. That’s 9-3 in favor of blue state schools.
It's the governor of the State that matters when it comes to State schools.

Yes, but again they play in December in these places and it's fine. March isn't worse than December. 
You have no idea what you're talking about. It's kinda chilly in Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota in December. I can be downright brutal from January to March and even into April or May.

Also, do you have a list of all these December games in the Midwest? B1GCG is typically the first weekend of December and that's inside. I'm not saying there aren't bad weather games these kids have to deal with but it's much milder in the October and November months.

You have no idea what you're talking about. It's kinda chilly in Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota in December. I can be downright brutal from January to March and even into April or May.

Also, do you have a list of all these December games in the Midwest? B1GCG is typically the first weekend of December and that's inside. I'm not saying there aren't bad weather games these kids have to deal with but it's much milder in the October and November months.
I do know what I'm talking about, thanks. Why are you bringing up january-march?  March would also be the start of the season. March/april/may has better weather overall than Sept/oct/nov.  In every part of the states. Look it up dude. 

I do know what I'm talking about, thanks. Why are you bringing up january-march?  March would also be the start of the season. March/april/may has better weather overall than Sept/oct/nov.  In every part of the states. Look it up dude. 
I'm bored. Picking a fight just to pick a fight because that's what the CFB threads are all about. No offense intended. I just know that it can be much worse weatherwise than you're making it out to be. I've lived in Milwaukee for 41 years.

The Badger beat writers I've seen have been talking about an early January start. I just know that a game at Camp Randall on 2/6/21 sounds awful. 

I'm bored. Picking a fight just to pick a fight because that's what the CFB threads are all about. No offense intended. I just know that it can be much worse weatherwise than you're making it out to be. I've lived in Milwaukee for 41 years.

The Badger beat writers I've seen have been talking about an early January start. I just know that a game at Camp Randall on 2/6/21 sounds awful. 
And Centre County/State College is no picnic either.  They don't call it "Happy Valley" for nothing.  The campus sets in a literal valley.  The wind starts in Altoona and doesn't so much as slow down until it gets to Scranton.

Day from Ohio State also suggested Jan-Feb season today.  Can't imagine that outdoors in B1G cities.

I get what they did and why, it's just going to get to be a hard sell to play two seasons that close together in 2021.  Especially given the players are starting to stand together for benefits and health concerns.

And Centre County/State College is no picnic either.  They don't call it "Happy Valley" for nothing.  The campus sets in a literal valley.  The wind starts in Altoona and doesn't so much as slow down until it gets to Scranton.
Do you have season tickets?  If so how did you feel about them not refunding the per seat cost of the ticket?  They are the only school out of the 40+ I deal with to take that stance.  People I know are livid and exploring legal possibilities over it.

If Ohio State plays in January (they won’t) what is the end game? Obviously tv money but what are you playing for? Just the big 10 title? There won’t be a national title at stake. Guess the rose bowl could be played in March or April? Doubt they would do that. 

Better chance of spring season for Pac 12 than fall season for SEC/ACC/BIG12
No top player will play in the Spring and risk his draft slot.

And if we’re not going to play in the fall in the name of player safety making them play two seasons in one calendar year seems just a bit hypocritical.

Users who are viewing this thread