What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (3 Viewers)

Documents are out showing that the B1G presidents voted 11-3 to postpone the fall season. 

Love how that "there was never a vote" narrative started. 

Documents are out showing that the B1G presidents voted 11-3 to postpone the fall season. 

Love how that "there was never a vote" narrative started. 
Have Michael Wilbon and Desmond Howard demanded that Nebraska, Iowa, and Ohio State be kicked out of the B1G yet?

Looking more and more like the Big Ten will start in October and be eligible for the playoff per @SirYacht (has inside source).

And then we have the Pac 12, where not one coach, player or parent has voiced any opposition to not playing. 

Wasn't SirYacht incorrect about the Big 10 vote?  Not sure why we would believe him now.

Conflicting statements today.  Dan Patrick saying an October 10 start is possible.  Then Nebraska's AD comes out and says October 10 isn't happening.

I don't really know what's happening, but whatever it is, it's a ####show and shows a perceived total lack of leadership in the conference.

Wasn't SirYacht incorrect about the Big 10 vote?  Not sure why we would believe him now.

Conflicting statements today.  Dan Patrick saying an October 10 start is possible.  Then Nebraska's AD comes out and says October 10 isn't happening.

I don't really know what's happening, but whatever it is, it's a ####show and shows a perceived total lack of leadership in the conference.
Is that better or worse than the Pac12 sitting on the sidelines with their thumbs up their butts while skajillions of dollars slip away?  

PAC 12 is going to either look very smart or very stupid.  If college football is shut down 1-3 weeks into the season due to COVID PAC 12 looks great.  If the Fall season is played as normal PAC 12 looks stupid.  I am betting on the latter.
As am I.

PAC 12 is going to either look very smart or very stupid.  If college football is shut down 1-3 weeks into the season due to COVID PAC 12 looks great.  If the Fall season is played as normal PAC 12 looks stupid.  I am betting on the latter.
I am in Oregon.  90% of our state has almost no issue with this thing....like 3 counties have a problem.  We've been WAAAAAY better than tons of other states. But our gov has shut down schools till at least November 3rd (hmmm) and says she doubts there will be in-person schooling this year.  B1G decision was political but they are coming to their senses.  CA/OR/WA will not.  They'll hold on to the bitter end and kill PAC 12 sports in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't PAC 12 players make a bunch of unrealistic demands before they shut it down?  Seems like it made it easier for the Presidents to vote to shut down.
They did.  Had zero to do with it.  As someone above said, it's presidents vs coaches and players.

What a cluster.  Reminds me of all the conference realignment talk.  Good for the news outlets I guess.

I don't think Nebraska's AD really said it isn't happening as much as he said there was nothing to the rumor [at this time].  He followed by saying, "We want to play October 3."  I stole that last part from Reddit.  ;)  

Not sure why the B1G couldn't have delayed their initial decision other than wanting to look like "Leaders".  Walking it back now (if they are actually considering it) doesn't look great for the conference leadership.

What happens now if the SEC, ACC, or Big XII get started but have to shut it down about the time the B1G is going to restart?

Is that better or worse than the Pac12 sitting on the sidelines with their thumbs up their butts while skajillions of dollars slip away?  
I think you could take it either way.  The Pac-12 will look pretty silly if these other conferences make it through without a hitch.  But at least the Pac-12 doesn't have a bunch of high-profile reports about them hemming-and-hawing about whether to play.  Whether or not someone likes their decision, they appear on the surface to have a unified front, committed to not-playing this fall.  Whereas the Big 10 looks like they can't figure out what the #### they're doing.

B1G will revote this week

Now, several websites that cover Big Ten programs are reporting that the conference’s chancellors and presidents are slated to have a re-vote this week to potentially reverse the decision and play football this Fall:

1) Dave Biddle of Bucknuts, the 247 site for Ohio State (subscription required and recommended), first reported that the Big Ten’s presidents and chancellors have “tentatively” agreed to revote on either Friday or Saturday.

2) Kevin Noon of Buckeye Grove, the Rivals site for Ohio State (subscription required and recommended), confirmed the Bucknuts report, adding: “There is no guarantee as to how this vote will go but it is thought that a vote to resume the season would mean a mid-October start, potentially October 10th.”

3) Sean Callahan of HuskerOnline, the Rivals site for Nebraska (subscription required and recommended), added the following: “A behind the scenes vote count is being taken, and if there is enough support to bring it to a vote, it will happen. If they know they won’t get the 9 votes from the Presidents/Chancellors on Friday there won’t be a revote. So if a vote does happen this week, it means they already know they have the support to overturn this. Stay tuned. If that happens, camp could open as soon as Saturday. It sounds like there are a few teams that just don’t want to play. So you could have three or four teams sit it out and not play if the vote gets overturned.”

Look, this is all convoluted. And yes, obviously these three reporters are immersed in two of the three programs (Iowa being the third) who want football season the most in the conference. They would need to flip six presidents or chancellors from Wisconsin, Penn State, Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, Rutgers, and Illinois.
I thought PSU was one of the ones that wanted to play? :confused:

If the Big 10 is aiming to play on October 10, they'd better make a decision soon.  They're cutting very short the training camp window for teams if they drag this out any further.  It sounds far off, 37 days into the future, but that's not a lot of time for teams who are presumably not practicing at full speed / in pads to ramp up their practices and do their installations.

Also, I feel bad for the players/staff who are going to potentially have a training camp during school.  Unless teams significantly scale back training camp, these players and staff are in for one hell of a month going to school full-time while trying to work a full training camp.  

B1G season will be reinstated within 48 hours, IMO.  All kinds of fake news being exposed.  I don't know how that commissioner still has his job.

Feldman tweeting about 15 minute Covid test Pac12 is using, plus working with Harvard on study on the heart issue.  Won't get them playing soon enough, but I guess I'm glad they are working on solutions.

Michigan high schools got a reversal and can now play next month, 4-5 game schedule and every team makes the playoffs.  That'll put more pressure on a couple of college presidents in Michigan.

After paying his dues, my son gets to finally officially cover Gator football.

@alligatorSports: Football writer @Bfarrell727 breaks down DC Todd Grantham's two-pronged defensive strategy and how this year's roster will deliver in that regard.
https://www.alligator.org/sports/gators-defense-starting-to-take-form/article_03f9d7d0-ebf5-11ea-a8d9-7f3308f28d11.html
That's really great.  The Alligator helped me pass time through many a lecture in Carleton Auditorium.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire

2h Friday morning update per BTM-The Source: “Larry Scott’s public remarks on his numerous phone calls to Kevin Warren in attempt to synch up PAC’s FB schedule with Big Ten’s has made Kevin Warren’s job more difficult and this has not gone unnoticed inside Big Ten”

Iowa AD: It would be "a miracle" for October start 

Iowa athletic director Gary Barta said Thursday he’s gaining optimism that the Big Ten Conference can safely resume athletic competition before the new year, but said there would need to be a “miracle” in order to start a football season next month.
Barta said Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez is leading a committee to come up with a new schedule, with various options for a winter or spring season. But there is a push, particularly from the parents of players, to start much sooner than that, with national sports-radio host Dan Patrick indicating this week that an Oct. 10 start date was under discussion.

That would require a vote by the Big Ten’s 14 presidents and chancellors, Barta pointed out, and he is not aware of any such vote being scheduled.
TLDR: Stop listening to that clown Sir Yacht.

Slim pickings tomorrow:

Eastern Kentucky at Marshall | 1 p.m. | ESPN
Middle Tennessee at Army | 1:30 p.m. | CBSSN
SMU at Texas State | 4:30 p.m. | ESPN
Houston Baptist at North Texas | 7:30 p.m. | ESPN3
Arkansas State at Memphis | 8 p.m. | ESPN
Stephen F. Austin at UTEP | 9 p.m. | ESPN3

@rickbozich: Official arrival of CFB season includes Depth Chart Drama: According to U of L, "The depth chart isn’t included. Western Kentucky has said it won’t release a depth chart so we will release ours later in the week."

Yes, we officially have a season.

gump said:
Yeah, so I don't understand this and maybe it's because I only follow Michigan football in any meaningful way.  I just assumed that the teams were practicing and working out like the Michigan football team's been doing.  Apparently, that's not the case?  Harbaugh is in full on confrontation with the President at Michigan.  If this goes the way he wants it to, he'll be there however long he wants to be.  He could have a losing record for 3-4 years and it wouldn't matter.

Yeah, so I don't understand this and maybe it's because I only follow Michigan football in any meaningful way.  I just assumed that the teams were practicing and working out like the Michigan football team's been doing.  Apparently, that's not the case?  Harbaugh is in full on confrontation with the President at Michigan.  If this goes the way he wants it to, he'll be there however long he wants to be.  He could have a losing record for 3-4 years and it wouldn't matter.
Other than a couple teams having to suspend practice temporarily due to Covid, I believe all the teams have been practicing and working out a certain number of hours per week.  I don't believe they have put on pads and started live contact yet though.  The conference delayed the start of practice with pads shortly before they postponed the season.

.  If this goes the way he wants it to, he'll be there however long he wants to be.  He could have a losing record for 3-4 years and it wouldn't matter.
Hadn’t thought about that...great point, leading a return to play will be longer lasting to fans than winning a Rose Bowl.

Other than a couple teams having to suspend practice temporarily due to Covid, I believe all the teams have been practicing and working out a certain number of hours per week.  I don't believe they have put on pads and started live contact yet though.  The conference delayed the start of practice with pads shortly before they postponed the season.
:oldunsure: Hmmm.....I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of them in pads from late spring / early summer, but maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread