What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (2 Viewers)

Great to start with a win.  Three starters out on defense.  Jeff Sims is freaking good.  Part of me feels like they could have won by 17 and other part feels like they could have lost by 30.  I'll settle for the W.   National Champs UCF up next. 
The kid looked great - true freshman starting on the road.  Impressive even if the crowd isn’t the usual.

@Brett_McMurphy: Coastal Carolina 21, Kansas 0 early 2nd quarter. Jayhawks fans would be already looking to hoops season - if they had any idea when it started

JaxBill said:
@Brett_McMurphy: Coastal Carolina 21, Kansas 0 early 2nd quarter. Jayhawks fans would be already looking to hoops season - if they had any idea when it started
Completely forgotten they axed the entire March madness.  Seems like forever ago. 

Not just a W-L thing:

KU paid Coastal Carolina $200,000. ISU paid Louisiana $350,000. KSU paid Arkansas State $550,00. B12 teams paid Sun Belt teams $1.1 million so they could catch these Ls.

Big XII lowlights yesterday

ULL Rajin Cajuns 31
Iowa State 14

Ark St 35 KState 31

Coastal Carolina 38
Kansas 23

Texas Tech 35
Houston Baptist 33

Tech should have lost that game.  HBU didn't have a football team when the tech players were born.  

Not the Big 12's best week.

Bottom line: Oklahoma and Texas should be the most mortified of anyone by what happened to the rest of the league, because it can only hurt their strength of schedule.

Remember that the Big 12 opted to do what the SEC did not, scheduling one non-conference game. Those expected tuneups for league play turned into a trio of hastily arranged embarrassments. For a conference that already had some credibility questions after its champion has been routed in its last two College Football Playoff appearances, these games did not help

@Brett_McMurphy

1h Nebraska President Ted Carter says this morning, not knowing he's on a hot mic, before a news conference: "We're getting ready to announce the Huskers and Big Ten football tonight” via @KETZ

From PFT:

Several college teams have had outbreaks, and today LSU coach Ed Orgeron said that most of his players have had the virus.  “Not all of our players but most of our players have caught it,” Orgeron said, via ESPN. “I think that hopefully they won’t catch it again and hopefully they’re not out for games.”  Orgeron is hoping his team has reached herd immunity.  “Hopefully that once you catch you don’t get it again,” he said. “I’m not a doctor. I think they have that 90-day window, so most of the players that have caught we do feel like they’ll be eligible games.”

We all enjoy college football.  That said, that's one alarming statement.  Are school administrators just assuming that is the case with their football teams (or will be by the end of the season)?

From PFT:

Several college teams have had outbreaks, and today LSU coach Ed Orgeron said that most of his players have had the virus.  “Not all of our players but most of our players have caught it,” Orgeron said, via ESPN. “I think that hopefully they won’t catch it again and hopefully they’re not out for games.”  Orgeron is hoping his team has reached herd immunity.  “Hopefully that once you catch you don’t get it again,” he said. “I’m not a doctor. I think they have that 90-day window, so most of the players that have caught we do feel like they’ll be eligible games.”

We all enjoy college football.  That said, that's one alarming statement.  Are school administrators just assuming that is the case with their football teams (or will be by the end of the season)?
I was kind of convinced a while back that Clemson and LSU were intentionally exposing their guys or at least not taking care to not expose them during spring/summer practices.  That's the cynical side of college sports in me but it would not surprise me one bit if they or others did that.

@PeteThamel

·9m

Sources: The Big Ten is coming back and will begin the weekend of Oct. 24. It'll include daily, rapid testing as a fixture of the plan. A statement from the league is imminent.

@RossDellenger: So, the Big Ten (1) doesn't have a built-in bye week, (2) has a 21-day suspension of play for players testing positive and (3) has a shutdown threshold of 5% positivity rate on a team.

Hang on to your butts.

@Brett_McMurphy: Big Ten will play 8 games & then title game on Dec. 19. Also teams that finish in 2nd-7th place in East & West Divisions will play a 9th game against each other on Dec. 19. 2nd place teams will face off, 3rd place, etc.

I was kind of convinced a while back that Clemson and LSU were intentionally exposing their guys or at least not taking care to not expose them during spring/summer practices.  That's the cynical side of college sports in me but it would not surprise me one bit if they or others did that.
I am about 80% sure that they did.

Kevin Warren says they are a better conference today than they were a month ago.  :lmao:

Just say my bad this was a political decision but we screwed up and realized how much money is out there that the other 3 conferences are going to get and we want our slice of the pie too

JaxBill said:
@Brett_McMurphy: Big Ten will play 8 games & then title game on Dec. 19. Also teams that finish in 2nd-7th place in East & West Divisions will play a 9th game against each other on Dec. 19. 2nd place teams will face off, 3rd place, etc.
I like the 9th week of all the teams playing the counterpart in the other division (at least for the top half...should make for some fun games to end the season).

JaxBill said:
@RossDellenger: So, the Big Ten (1) doesn't have a built-in bye week, (2) has a 21-day suspension of play for players testing positive and (3) has a shutdown threshold of 5% positivity rate on a team.

Hang on to your butts.
5%?  That seems rife for issues (or manipulation of numbers).  These kids aren't in the NFL, and it seems unlikely they will be as safe outside of their football schedule.

Ramblin Wreck said:
Kevin Warren says they are a better conference today than they were a month ago.  :lmao:

Just say my bad this was a political decision but we screwed up and realized how much money is out there that the other 3 conferences are going to get and we want our slice of the pie too
Nothing to apologize for, especially when you read a comment about LSU's entire team having COVID at some point.  ...and yes, it's all about the money.  Has been for a very long time.

5%?  That seems rife for issues (or manipulation of numbers).  These kids aren't in the NFL, and it seems unlikely they will be as safe outside of their football schedule.

Nothing to apologize for, especially when you read a comment about LSU's entire team having COVID at some point.  ...and yes, it's all about the money.  Has been for a very long time.
I thought that LSU report was flawed, due to a bad test.  Are they saying it was good info now?  

Wut is going on???

@wilnerhotline: Breaking: #USC #UCLA athletic directors join forces, get approval needed from L.A. County to begin practicing once Pac-12 signs off on return-to-play. This is big for a Halloween restart, folks.

https://bayareane.ws/2E8POmV

@Brett_McMurphy: Mountain West “aggressively exploring” options to play 8-game fall season, culminating w/Dec. 19 MW title game, sources told @Stadium. This would allow league to be eligible for NY6 bowls. Not all schools might play w/Hawaii, Fresno & Air Force biggest unknowns for full season

So are we gonna see folks who opted out try to opt back in?

(or did they already cash the agent check?)

So are we gonna see folks who opted out try to opt back in?

(or did they already cash the agent check?)
Some are about to, including a few from LSU:

@BrodyAMiller

#LSU defensive lineman Neil Farrell plans on opting back in for the 2020 season. That means LSU gets one of the better linemen in the SEC back.

Users who are viewing this thread