Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo.

Azusa Pacific ends its football program after 55 years.

This decision reflects the decline of California football over the past 30 years. During this time, 14 California four-year colleges have dropped football from their intercollegiate rosters, while only 1 (Chapman in 1994) has added the sport. From a high of 37 football-playing schools in California in 1975, only 17 still have the sport. Azusa Pacific was the only NCAA Division II or NAIA school in California with football, and while that status created a unique recruiting proposition for the university, it eventually became an expensive one as well.

With fewer in-state opponents, APU had to stretch its vision for contests. Since 2005, Cougar football has averaged three airplane flights per season, and over the past four years, that average climbed to five, including 2019 when all six road games required air travel, making Azusa Pacific the only NCAA Division II or III school in the nation forced to fly to all of its road games. Between 2006-09, Azusa Pacific played games in Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, and Montana, along with its routine contests in Oregon and Washington. In 2007 alone, APU football traveled more than 17,000 miles to fulfill its 11-game schedule. The move to the NCAA temporarily offset the burden of extraordinary travel costs.

• Sad 1

Points to Michigan; if it was a fake out to avoid OSU, they've kept up the pretense.

The University of Michigan Athletic Department announced Tuesday (Dec. 15) that the football program is canceling its game at Iowa on Saturday (Dec. 19) as part of the Big Ten's Champions Week. The decision was made after conversations with medical experts, health advisors and university administration.

"In accordance with the Big Ten COVID-19 medical policies and health guidelines, we are without a significant number of players for this week's game," said Warde Manuel, the Donald R. Shepherd Director of Athletics. "Couple that with the normal attrition due to injury, and we do not have enough available players at multiple position groups to field a team at Iowa. We have more student-athletes out this week compared to last week and the week prior.

"The number of positive tests over the past three weeks, which require a 21-day unavailability period, and the contact tracing requirements associated with those numbers has pushed our current list of unavailable student-athletes to over 50. This is a very unfortunate situation, and we are disappointed that our program will not be able to finish the season against the Hawkeyes.

15 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

Guess they shouldn't have had that "Spirited practice" on Sunday. What a joke.  :lol:

This after we were all told that their protocols were the absolute best in the country and that they would fight off Covid with an unbridled enthusiasm hitherto unknown to mankind.

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3
  • Laughing 2

Why are the Buffaloes staging a truck in Utah?

BrianHowell33

Colorado sent its equipment truck to the halfway point between Boulder and Los Angeles so that it's ready to either finish the drive (if needed) or come back. We're told the truck is somewhere around St. George, Utah.

"I never thought I’d say this but if this continues, let’s bring back the BCS and the computers. Because it would be a fairer system than what I’m seeing now." -AAC commissioner Mike Aresco feels the CFP deck is stacked against his teams

https://twitter.com/i/status/1339324055753777152

Edited by SHIZNITTTT

5 hours ago, psychobillies said:

Big day today in recruiting.  LSU still holding on to a pretty strong class despite the horrible season.  The Florida win could not have come at a better time.  

Saban enjoyed that late flip I’m sure.

17 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

"I never thought I’d say this but if this continues, let’s bring back the BCS and the computers. Because it would be a fairer system than what I’m seeing now." -AAC commissioner Mike Aresco feels the CFP deck is stacked against his teams

https://twitter.com/i/status/1339324055753777152

He's not wrong

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

Why are the Buffaloes staging a truck in Utah?

BrianHowell33

pac 12 told them to be ready to play in the conference championship if either Oregon or USC can't.

the original plan was to play Oregon in LA and one of them could play up to the varsity level if UW or USC couldn't go.

once UW bowed out and Oregon moved up a weight class, the next plan was for CU to potentially schedule an opponent either in Boulder or LA, but they would have to dump that opponent if USC or Oregon couldn't go. because they would have to play in the conference title game.

apparently the current plan, as of sometime today and maybe subject to change, is for CU to leave an equipment trailer halfway between Boulder and LA in case they have to pack their stuff and play this weekend--for a conference championship, of course.

this is Larry's Scott's pac 12.

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

4 hours ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

I looked at this and saw OU signed 16--which seems light. So I went and looked at Rivals and saw UF 26, ND 25, Bama 24, LSU 22, OSU, UO & Miami 21, UGA, UM & USC 20.  

I'm a simple son of a #####. Can someone explain why the Sooners are leaving so much talent on the table?

Edited by Christo

13 minutes ago, Christo said:

I looked at this and saw OU signed 16--which seems light. So I went and looked at Rivals and saw UF 26, ND 25, Bama 24, LSU 22, OSU, UO & Miami 21, UGA, UM & USC 20.  

I'm a simple son of a #####. Can someone explain why the Sooners are leaving so much talent on the table?

There is still another Signing Day in early Feb. I think the average is 80% sign early but some schools push to get them all in but 1-2. The rankings won’t be final until after the next and final Signing Day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Christo said:

Some have said opening up roster spots for "portal transfers and juco picks."

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ConstruxBoy said:

Tom Allen!!

Just read a few things on this. Allen has a 21 million buyout if he leaves IU according to a couple of tweets I read - crazy $!! After paying Gus all that $ to leave, this can’t imagine would be willing to pay that much for Allen.

Perhaps Allen is using this for a pay raise but I did not picture him leaving IU. He’s from Indiana. They gave him his first big time shot. He’s building something special  there. I’ll be surprised if he ends up leaving. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, gump said:

Allen did interview with Auburn for DC, when they hired Steele...and he worked at Ole Miss under Freeze with the current AU AD. So there is a relationship anyway.

Seeing another possibility that it might have been Auburn assistant Wesley McGriff interviewing for IU's DC opening (Kane Wommack took the HC job at South Alabama).  McGriff was on the Ole Miss staff when Allen was there.

link

21 hours ago, Beef Ravioli said:

Just read a few things on this. Allen has a 21 million buyout if he leaves IU according to a couple of tweets I read - crazy $!! After paying Gus all that $ to leave, this can’t imagine would be willing to pay that much for Allen.

Perhaps Allen is using this for a pay raise but I did not picture him leaving IU. He’s from Indiana. They gave him his first big time shot. He’s building something special  there. I’ll be surprised if he ends up leaving. 

Per my link above, it's more than that:

According to the Indianapolis Star, Allen’s contract has a buyout of more than $23 million today, and that figure should swell to more than $27 million after IU is awarded a bowl game this weekend.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Someone lawyery explain why School A has to pay a buyout to School B for Coach A?  I sort of get the School A pays Coach A to go away buyout.

I'm guessing it's more that Coach A actually owes the money to get out of his contract early, but School A pays it in order to get the guy they want.

3 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly says Irish may not play in College Football Playoff if families can't attend  https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/notre-dame-coach-brian-kelly-says-irish-may-not-play-in-college-football-playoff-if-families-cant-attend/

Wait, is it this Notre Dame?

2 hours ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly says Irish may not play in College Football Playoff if families can't attend  https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/notre-dame-coach-brian-kelly-says-irish-may-not-play-in-college-football-playoff-if-families-cant-attend/

Well, of all of the stupid stuff that's bandied about in CFB this might be the stupidest.

• Like 2

People must forget Kelly is the son of a Massachusetts politician - Do you really think ND would sit out?

He's painting the CFP committee into a corner - If ND wins and goes to the Rose Bowl they have this pressure to figure it out. If they lose close and don't make the top 4, it looks like retribution for these comments.

------------------------

Dabo also agrees with Kelly by the way

“I don’t think there’s any question that there’s plenty of venues if, for whatever reason, it doesn’t work. … There’s plenty of stadiums where you could have fans. You certainly can have families.”

“It makes no sense to me to put a bunch of kids on a plane and fly them all the way to California to play in an empty stadium,” Swinney added. “That makes zero sense.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/[...all]?all=sports&all=2020&all=12&all=18&all=brian-kelly-notre-dame-cfp-boycott

If they can make moving to a different venue work for all stakeholders I'm all for it.  I don't care where they play, but don't be an idiot and threaten to sit out the playoffs.  He isn't painting anyone into a corner.  Nobody believes they will actually boycott the playoffs.

• Like 2

They “may not play”. 🤣

Ok Kelly, sure. I understand that you may not agree with the rules individual states have about attendance. I understand that you may be frustrated and think it’s stupid. I don’t understand why you would come out and make the lamest threat anyone has ever heard. Notre Dame has zero leverage and everybody knows it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RUSF18 said:

Christian Izien has struggled for Rutgers a lot this season but he just pulled off a ridiculous pick for his 3rd takeaway of the first half against Nebraska. 

https://twitter.com/briannnnf/status/1340111559276847104?s=21

Added a second pick/4th takeaway in the loss. 

Just got absolutely murdered in the run game. 

• Tom Servo changed the title to 2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo.