Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo.


Recommended Posts

The decision is being made by the school presidents and certainly very high paid lawyers. I’ll be very very surprised if they factor in player sentiment but maybe? It’s an emotional attachment for very many. I just think the overwhelming liability possibilities won’t allow them to go forward. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Pretty sure the 3* players still get scholarships though 

They do in fact yes 

I’m sure you think that’s enough because you’ve trained yourself to believe that they don’t deserve fair pay for their work, but you’re wrong. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Capella said:

They do in fact yes 

I’m sure you think that’s enough because you’ve trained yourself to believe that they don’t deserve fair pay for their work, but you’re wrong. 

How much should the girls field hockey team get paid?

id be fine with the football team getting paid in lieu of a scholarship, then they can pay their own tuition, room and board, meals and medical.  Be curious if those 3* kids come out ahead 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

How much should the girls field hockey team get paid?

id be fine with the football team getting paid in lieu of a scholarship, then they can pay their own tuition, room and board, meals and medical.  Be curious if those 3* kids come out ahead 

And they will have to pay taxes on all that income too as employees earning wages.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Capella said:

The decision is being made by the school presidents and certainly very high paid lawyers. I’ll be very very surprised if they factor in player sentiment but maybe? It’s an emotional attachment for very many. I just think the overwhelming liability possibilities won’t allow them to go forward. 

Saw a tweet yesterday that even those itching to cancel have come to the realization that they never worked out a cancelation contingency plan-

Is this total Wipeout of season or push to Spring?

What does this do for eligibility?

Do players lose football perks?

Do they honor ongoing scholarships?

What do you do about football staff?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

How much should the girls field hockey team get paid?

id be fine with the football team getting paid in lieu of a scholarship, then they can pay their own tuition, room and board, meals and medical.  Be curious if those 3* kids come out ahead 

I’m glad you’re fine with that but that’s never going to happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JaxBill said:

Saw a tweet yesterday that even those itching to cancel have come to the realization that they never worked out a cancelation contingency plan-

Is this total Wipeout of season or push to Spring?

What does this do for eligibility?

Do players lose football perks?

Do they honor ongoing scholarships?

What do you do about football staff?

Just like MLB and this country, there was no plan other than hoping it would go away. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Capella said:

They do in fact yes 

I’m sure you think that’s enough because you’ve trained yourself to believe that they don’t deserve fair pay for their work, but you’re wrong. 

Well they deserve to seek out whatever else they can get but I think for the majority of that group they'll find themselves with a little extra walking around money. Which is fine and great for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

How much should the girls field hockey team get paid?

id be fine with the football team getting paid in lieu of a scholarship, then they can pay their own tuition, room and board, meals and medical.  Be curious if those 3* kids come out ahead 

Whatever someone is willing to pay them. $10k, $200, $50...or nothing. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Oh no, taxes. Whelp can the whole plan and let’s keep ripping guys off instead. 

Let's talk this out.  How much money (cash, cars, electronics, and any other form of value) do you think a 5 star is currently getting from a football factory under the table from their bagman?   4 star?   3 star?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

Oh no, taxes. Whelp can the whole plan and let’s keep ripping guys off instead. 

Love this argument. Somehow every working student in America can figure out how to pay taxes for their college jobs. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Let's talk this out.  How much money (cash, cars, electronics, and any other form of value) do you think a 5 star is currently getting from a football factory under the table from their bagman?   4 star?   3 star?

Why do you think the under the table money would go away? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Why do you think the under the table money would go away? 

In some cases it won't where you have rich boosters who's life depends on a win loss record of their football team.   It was also a serious question I have no idea how all this works.  Do they get a couple hundred bucks a month?  50K?  six figures?

I guess maybe a better question is how much do you think division 1 schools should pay players?  Everyone paid the same?   5 stars more than 4 stars more than 3 stars? 

I have no problem with these guys getting paid, by the way.  I'm just having a discussion because I don't think it's quite as simple as Dabo makes 9 million dollars a year so there's plenty of money to pay these dudes.  A lot of that money generated pays for all the other sports that will get killed off.  I know the 5 star dude with thousands of people buying his jersey doesn't give a crap but I'm pretty sure many college Presidents are going to kill off the football program if it's not the money maker supporting other sports.  I don't know how many realistically survive long term but I'm sure there are unintended consequences here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

In some cases it won't where you have rich boosters who's life depends on a win loss record of their football team.   It was also a serious question I have no idea how all this works.  Do they get a couple hundred bucks a month?  50K?  six figures?

I guess maybe a better question is how much do you think division 1 schools should pay players?  Everyone paid the same?   5 stars more than 4 stars more than 3 stars? 

I have no problem with these guys getting paid, by the way.  I'm just having a discussion because I don't think it's quite as simple as Dabo makes 9 million dollars a year so there's plenty of money to pay these dudes.  A lot of that money generated pays for all the other sports that will get killed off.  I know the 5 star dude with thousands of people buying his jersey doesn't give a crap but I'm pretty sure many college Presidents are going to kill off the football program if it's not the money maker supporting other sports.  I don't know how many realistically survive long term but I'm sure there are unintended consequences here.

I think the schools should add a baseline comp for each player to have guaranteed spending money and then players can go get endorsement money for whatever the market determines they are worth. If some Clemson auto dealer wants to pay Trevor Lawrence 500k to peddle some cars, have at it. 
 

As for what they get now, I don’t know. When I was at FSU I saw a player driving around campus in a Ferrari that couldn’t have been 3 weeks old. I’m sure all the big football factories are giving them major money. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dan Patrick reports Big Ten had internal vote & by 12-2 margin, league members opted on not having a fall football season. Nebraska & Iowa were only schools that voted to play this fall, @dpshow said. Patrick said Big Ten & Pac-12 would cancel fall seasons Tuesday

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Capella said:

Dan Patrick reports Big Ten had internal vote & by 12-2 margin, league members opted on not having a fall football season. Nebraska & Iowa were only schools that voted to play this fall, @dpshow said. Patrick said Big Ten & Pac-12 would cancel fall seasons Tuesday

Fascinated that it was Nebraska and Iowa. Maybe just to get back to games sooner to wash away the stink of underperforming hero coach (Nebraska) or messy, racial issues (Iowa)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Capella said:

Dan Patrick reports Big Ten had internal vote & by 12-2 margin, league members opted on not having a fall football season. Nebraska & Iowa were only schools that voted to play this fall, @dpshow said. Patrick said Big Ten & Pac-12 would cancel fall seasons Tuesday

I’d be willing to take a Nebraska / Iowa best of 7 series 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ConstruxBoy said:

Fascinated that it was Nebraska and Iowa. Maybe just to get back to games sooner to wash away the stink of underperforming hero coach (Nebraska) or messy, racial issues (Iowa)?

Maybe but that is probably looking at it too deeply. They probably just had Presidents and ADs who are bit more conservative. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Or maybe  all schools didn't want to run afoul of their respective governors

Right, I am not judging here- this isn't a political thread. But just looking at how most things have gone with the country's handling of the virus, politics (or maybe a political-life philosophy) is the most obvious answer for why so many decisions are being made. Of all the schools in the Big 10 that I would imagine lean more conservative, Iowa and Nebraska would top the list. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BTW, postponing until the Spring makes no sense to me. Spring semester starts January. Even pushing it back until February is still flu season.  I guess maybe you pin hopes on a vaccine but that's a longshot. I just don't see how late January provide less liability ti schools than late September.

With NFL draft/combine around corner I could see a lot of stars opting out of Spring ball.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

BTW, postponing until the Spring makes no sense to me. Spring semester starts January. Even pushing it back until February is still flu season.  I guess maybe you pin hopes on a vaccine but that's a longshot. I just don't see how late January provide less liability ti schools than late September.

With NFL draft/combine around corner I could see a lot of stars opting out of Spring ball.

Virus aside, there's no way they can play a full spring season and then play a full fall season next year.  You can't have these kids playing two full seasons in a single calendar year, it's asking for disaster with injuries, etc.

Someone on r/cfb had a decent take on it.  If you want to play in the spring, schedule a small handful of games, maybe 3-4 games per team, no playoff, no champion, no national rankings, no conference championships.  Keep records and keep score but it's basically glorified spring ball.  Michigan can play Ohio State, Alabama can play Auburn, whatever.  Players get to play (ideally) without wrecking their bodies before the full fall season, fans get something to watch, ESPN gets something to air.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, ConstruxBoy said:

Fascinated that it was Nebraska and Iowa. Maybe just to get back to games sooner to wash away the stink of underperforming hero coach (Nebraska) or messy, racial issues (Iowa)?

Iowa high school baseball completed their season over the summer with (I think) relatively low spread. Could be coincidence, but possible Iowa's president saw the relative success there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is my proposal for 2021:

Spring season of 9 regular season games

1 Conference Championship game per conference

No Bowl games

8 team Playoff - Winners of P5 conferences, highest G5 team, 2 Wildcards

Quarterfinals on campus

Semis and Final at original sites for 2020 season, end by mid-June

 

Fall 2021 season with only 10 regular season games, starts the third weekend of September

Conference Championship game per conference

Bowl Games

Normal 4 team Playoff on normal schedules for 2021

 

 

Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Capella said:

Just dawned on me there won’t be a tournament next March either. ####. 

Honestly, I'll be surprised if there's a college basketball season.  A bunch of the low-major conferences already cancelled their non-conference play.  Only hope is that with a smaller team / smaller coaching staff etc., schools can keep some semblance of control over the virus, as opposed to a 100-player football team with, say, another 50 or so "essential" staff (coaches, trainers, equipment staff).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even if we do get a spring season it will be watered down.  Any potential draft pick wouldn't play in the spring.  They have to get ready for their NFL careers which doesn't include playing and season then trying to make a NFL club immediately afterwards.  Between injury risks and too much wear and tear on the body with not much of an offseason before the NFL starts it would be a lot of new faces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Pretty good letter from Harbaugh to try to save the season. I don't think it will matter, but he makes some good points - 

 

Link

Curious how much contact they've done with the helmets they will be using.  I mean, his points are good/valid but not sure it translates to what will happen in real practice and games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Some Louisville writer is saying the ACC is playing this fall.... for now.  The Big Ten decision does not affect them.

This would be great.  Just have Ga Tech, Wake, Clemson, FSU, L'ville, and Duke in a 6 team national championship bracket.  All other conferences just take the year off.  

Let these teams play for the national title.  What?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I need to step away from social media for a couple days until everything is settled.  Supposedly it was the medical staffs from the schools that voted 12-2 against f they were comfortable with the precautions in place.

ETA:  If my liver can survive the next week, it should be in for a nice break this fall.

Edited by WDIK2
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

And they will have to pay taxes on all that income too as employees earning wages.

 

5 hours ago, Capella said:

Oh no, taxes. Whelp can the whole plan and let’s keep ripping guys off instead. 

This back and forth reminded me of my grandmother complaining to me about her capital gains taxes.

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

seems like a good fit for ACC  Coastal

@mitchsherman: Frost: "I think our university is committed to playing football any way that we possibly can regardless of what anyone else does." If Nebraska can't play in the Big Ten, he says, they're prepared to look at different options.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

 

21 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

seems like a good fit for ACC  Coastal

@mitchsherman: Frost: "I think our university is committed to playing football any way that we possibly can regardless of what anyone else does." If Nebraska can't play in the Big Ten, he says, they're prepared to look at different options.

 

 

16 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

lol at this tweet and response

@Brett_McMurphy: Apparently, Nebraska will be playing in the NFC North this fall


@YeomansPlay: @Brett_McMurphy Great. The Bears now have the fifth best starting quarterback in the conference.

 

1 hour ago, WDIK2 said:

I think I need to step away from social media for a couple days until everything is settled.  Supposedly it was the medical staffs from the schools that voted 12-2 against f they were comfortable with the precautions in place.

ETA:  If my liver can survive the next week, it should be in for a nice break this fall.

There goes that plan.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

NFL could play on Saturday if CFB is cancelled

Quote

In order to broadcast games on Saturdays, the NFL would have to secure an exemption under the 1961 Sports Broadcasting Act. Under the act, the NFL was allowed to bundle and sell its television rights so long as it didn’t schedule games on Fridays and Saturdays during the college and high school football seasons.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

Every college president when students start asking why it’s too dangerous to play football but just fine to jam 10s of thousands of students in dorm rooms again this fall: :scared:

Alabama sororities started coming back to campus last Monday, but people are worried about athletes who have been in quite a bubble since July and being tested regularly, and any time they feel like it.

This is beyond absurd at this point. If anyone wants to opt out of playing, there should be no repercussions, but everyone who wants to play should be allowed. Soccer has been going for months. Basketball... and hockey for Christ sakes... the only big problem I know of is the issue with the Marlins, and I know it was at least rumored a lot of the team got it from a strip club.

As Nick Saban said in his release today: the players are more likely to get it on campus than on the football field, so why aren't we talking about playing football without in person classes? 

Edited by jplvr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jplvr said:

Alabama sororities started coming back to campus last Monday, but people are worried about athletes who have been in quite a bubble since July and being tested regularly, and any time they feel like it.

This is beyond absurd at this point. If anyone wants to opt out of playing, there should be no repercussions, but everyone who wants to play should be allowed. Soccer has been going for months. Basketball... and hockey for Christ sakes... the only big problem I know of is the issue with the Marlins, and I know it was at least rumored a lot of the team got it from a strip club.

As Nick Saban said in his release today: the players are more likely to get it on campus than on the football field, so why aren't we talking about playing football without in person classes? 

Those players are professional athletes. And they’ve been in a bubble. And also, I stress, they’re professional athletes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Tom Servo changed the title to 2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...