Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo.

I was told Clemson had a good defense?  That's the most pathetic performance I've ever seen that didn't involve Brady Hoke.  

No wonder why Venables hasn't been offered a HC job. He just defecated on the field for 4 and a half hours. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After paying his dues, my son gets to finally officially cover Gator football. @alligatorSports: Football writer @Bfarrell727 breaks down DC Todd Grantham's two-pronged defensive strategy and how

There is also great optimism outside Michigan that the deal gets wrapped up soon. 

God Dabo is loathsome. Pour it on. 

10 minutes ago, Dez said:
4 hours ago, Jayded said:

I’d be surprised if Clemson and tOSU is even a game. 

I have to hand it to you...you sure nailed it.  It wasn't much of a game.

Prophetic lol 

4 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Between Notre Dame and Dabo today Jesus has to really be rethinking his corporate sponsorships......

Couple of seasons without Watson or Lawrence, he might get his dream job at Liberty. 

• Like 1

Finally won my "work" bowl pool. Of course, we played for no money this year because none of us actually work together any more.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2
14 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

7.5/76

I'll take the tide to win but not by more than 7.

7 hours ago, need2know said:

Bama fans loving this

Really no. 

I mean first, I grew up going to A² a few times each year, dad is a huge blue fan so seeing OSU play this well sucks. (Big blue completely falling apart doesn't help). 

But tOSU can win against the tide. It's going to be a great game. Which is good for fans and the sport. But the tide fans don't love seeing the next opponent look this good. 

Plus, Garrett kinda scares me for Jones. 

Edited by -OZ-

tOSU is the type of team that can beat Bama.  They will take away some of the Bama speed advantage.  Probably the best play is the over, always fun rooting for points.

• Like 1

Implied score will be Bama 42-35, so the team totals should  be within a half point of this.  Playing Bama roughly over 42 leaves little room for error.  The good news is they took their foot off the gas vs ND and still scored 31.  This game should be much higher pace.

On 12/11/2020 at 7:14 PM, SHIZNITTTT said:

Dabo Swinney Doesn't Think Ohio State Should Make the Playoff, Believes Clemson Should Be in Even With Two Losses

Got half his wish. I guess he should have spent less time worrying about how OSU was ranked and more time planning for the actual game.

38 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Indiana had a good season but OSU deserved to be in this game. 

The issue that is ruining college football is that the trasfer system is like free agency now and teams like OSU are the Yankees and Dodgers. We need a QB..ok get 5 star Justin Fields to transfer, we need a RB, bring Sermon in. The 2 best players on the field for OSU were transfers.

Tack that on with all the other 4-5 star players and other teams really can`t compete on the same level. In the long run it will hurt the mid level teams because if a 2-3 star players develops fast as 2 years they will say "Hey..I want a bigger spotlight and got to a Bama, OSU, Clemson on another top school and leave a Cinncinnati, or any mid major.

Read something last year that Bama, OSU, Clemson signed like 50 of the top 100 players, the other 50 were dispersed among all the other schools. Once these machines are fined tuned they run for years and years.  Of course once in awhile they will be down for a year but for the most part they will be tough to compete with.  I heard of ESPN Radio this morning the is Bama, OSU, Clemson fatigue amonng college football fans.  People say "well beat them"  much easier said than done do to the machine.

As far as in game coaches there are many that could do as good of job as Saban, Dabo and Day with the talent of those teams. What other schools can`t do is build that recruiting machine to get that talent. And get top players to transfer.

Edited by Summer Wheat
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

⁦‪@richarddeitsch‬⁩ Dream land right now for ESPN executives: Ohio State and Alabama are by far the best CFB television viewership teams nationally over the past five years. No better potential matchup for viewership in a title game.

Based on the field play, Ohio St did deserve it.  What really sucks about college is those are the rules until someone threatens the rules, then they are changed.   If we are comparing 6-win teams vs 10-win teams then the system is far broken.  Maybe it’s not Ohio st’s fault, but it’s not the other teams fault who play by the rules. Stuff like this doesn’t happen with pro sports.  College sports like to be considered pro until is comes to sharing money or balancing the field, then it’s about their money.  

Edited by FairWarning

Anyone in here still believe college football is a superior product to the NFL?

The gap has to have at least narrowed?

Edited by BassNBrew
12 hours ago, CGRdrJoe said:

Nah, that was terrible. I’ll stick to watching soccer 

Irony. Going from a sport with a controversial rule trying to keep kids safe to one where the players act like they’ve been shot with a high powered rifle if they do much as get grazed. <_<

• Like 2

Congrats to Ohio State for a masterful performance.  Clemson was outplayed and out coached all night long.  One of the most gutsy performances I can remember seeing from Fields.  Just a stellar game.  

All along I thought it was the offensive coordinator that was out due to covid protocols.  Turns out it was Venables that was missing.  I was upset with Swinney with all the extra motivation he provided the last couple of weeks.  OSU made the most of the opportunity.  Clemson would have been torched more trying to guard the Alabama wideouts.  All season the O-line has been a glaring weak spot, along with the defensive backfield vs top WR.  You can win on talent vs many weaker teams but it gets exploited in the playoff vs elite teams.  Talent is there but they are so young. 

I look forward to another strong game in the finals.  Should be high scoring for sure.  

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Indiana had a good season but OSU deserved to be in this game. 

The issue that is ruining college football is that the trasfer system is like free agency now and teams like OSU are the Yankees and Dodgers. We need a QB..ok get 5 star Justin Fields to transfer, we need a RB, bring Sermon in. The 2 best players on the field for OSU were transfers.

Tack that on with all the other 4-5 star players and other teams really can`t compete on the same level. In the long run it will hurt the mid level teams because if a 2-3 star players develops fast as 2 years they will say "Hey..I want a bigger spotlight and got to a Bama, OSU, Clemson on another top school and leave a Cinncinnati, or any mid major.

Read something last year that Bama, OSU, Clemson signed like 50 of the top 100 players, the other 50 were dispersed among all the other schools. Once these machines are fined tuned they run for years and years.  Of course once in awhile they will be down for a year but for the most part they will be tough to compete with.  I heard of ESPN Radio this morning the is Bama, OSU, Clemson fatigue amonng college football fans.  People say "well beat them"  much easier said than done do to the machine.

As far as in game coaches there are many that could do as good of job as Saban, Dabo and Day with the talent of those teams. What other schools can`t do is build that recruiting machine to get that talent. And get top players to transfer.

I do get your point, especially with Alabama and tOSU. But Clemson wasn't even a top level program until maybe 6 years ago. They were good, but no more so than at least a dozen other programs. 

If you take the view that college is meant to get kids ready for professional jobs, it's hard to argue against kids being able to attend the school of their choice.  While it's different in ways, it's not all that different than a student transferring to Harvard for his last year or two for his diploma. That makes the student more competitive for jobs they want after college.

11 hours ago, The General said:

That grandpa D coordinator for the Buckeyes calling a hell of a game here.

IIRC that’s Larry Johnson. His son played at Penn State and he coached there too. 

31 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

Irony. Going from a sport with a controversial rule trying to keep kids safe to one where the players act like they’ve been shot with a high powered rifle if they do much as get grazed. <_<

Look at me! I'm living in 2003!

6 minutes ago, The General said:

Lived in Bloomington for 20 years and went to IU, the most Hoosier Football thing ever is they lose today.

Got a bunch of Hoosier friends. None are confident.

8 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I do get your point, especially with Alabama and tOSU. But Clemson wasn't even a top level program until maybe 6 years ago. They were good, but no more so than at least a dozen other programs. 

If you take the view that college is meant to get kids ready for professional jobs, it's hard to argue against kids being able to attend the school of their choice.  While it's different in ways, it's not all that different than a student transferring to Harvard for his last year or two for his diploma. That makes the student more competitive for jobs they want after college.

The rules are the rules.  I think in the future tranfers will become even more a part of college football.  Where the top 4-5 team now have the advantage is they see a hole they can pluck a quality transfer/FA to fill it.  

1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

Anyone in here still believe college football is a superior product to the NFL?

The gap has to have at least narrowed?

I think when you are at a full stadium with the fans, atmosphere and bands it is 1000% a more fun product to watch, but it’s obviously not better. 

• Like 4
44 minutes ago, The General said:

Lived in Bloomington for 20 years and went to IU, the most Hoosier Football thing ever is they lose today.

For sure.  A long list of teams who lost when they weren’t happy with their bowl.  I would hope this isn’t the case today, but it wouldn’t surprise me.  It should be high scoring.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

The rules are the rules.  I think in the future tranfers will become even more a part of college football.  Where the top 4-5 team now have the advantage is they see a hole they can pluck a quality transfer/FA to fill it.  

Makes sense. 

25 minutes ago, Capella said:

I think when you are at a full stadium with the fans, atmosphere and bands it is 1000% a more fun product to watch, but it’s obviously not better. 

Agreed. Atmosphere wise, not much beats big time college football.

Except the tournament. That will always reign supreme (when they have it 😢 )

1 hour ago, Tom Servo said:

IIRC that’s Larry Johnson. His son played at Penn State and he coached there too. 

LJ is the defensive line coach and associate head coach. The D Coordinator this  year is Kerry Coombs. 

You are correct about LJ coaching at PSU and his son. Sad story about his son. 

Edited by Beef Ravioli
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, sho nuff said:

He dropped the crown of his helmet...nothing about doing that is perfect form.

i was more surprised that LB didn't at least have a stinger, if not temporarily loss of sensation in his legs, or worse.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Capella said:

In the past 3 or so years I have given basically nil time to watch sports on television (with the exception of pro wrestling but that's entertainment), but I will always be interested in attending an event live.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

the idea of basically holding kids hostage for 4-5 years because of a decision some of them made at 16, 17, 18 years old does seem kind of gross

2 minutes ago, need2know said:

Looks like osu used clemsons sign stealing against them. Makes sense with how bad their defense played

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2021/01/120000/osu-dominatedand-clemson-looked-human

is that why the extremely early OSU timeout after the Clemson MLB was berating his teammates for being out of position?

coaches called their guys over to say "ok, it's what we expected. they had a read on our plays because of the old signals and now we know for sure they don't.. go put up 60"

22 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

i was more surprised that LB didn't at least have a stinger, if not temporarily loss of sensation in his legs, or worse.

I agree.  I just watched the replay in slo-mo.   Given the choice I would want to be Fields not the LB on that hit.   That looked like the kind of contact that players get paralyzed from. Straight on powerful contact and the head and neck get jammed back into the spinal cord.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Sea Duck said:
11 hours ago, Steve Tasker said:

What channel is Dabo's postgame gonna be on

Channel 11.

PFF College@PFF_College

“Do you have any regrets ranking Ohio State 11th in the coaches poll?”

Dabo Swinney: “No”

• Laughing 1
5 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Implied score will be Bama 42-35, so the team totals should  be within a half point of this.  Playing Bama roughly over 42 leaves little room for error.  The good news is they took their foot off the gas vs ND and still scored 31.  This game should be much higher pace.

Should be a fun final. Particularly since Clemson isn't in it.

I don't think either Bama or OSU is particularly impressive in the secondary.

Edited by Desert_Power
1 hour ago, Christo said:

Got a bunch of Hoosier friends. None are confident.

40 years of misery is hard to overcome and being down our starting QB.

This head coach does seem to know what’s up though and they have great WR’s, a decent RB, and in the games I watched the defense (DB’s in particular) did look pretty good.

2 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Ole Miss without their top WR and RB today.

*****They didn't care alert! They didn't care alert! They didn't care alert!*****

• Thanks 1
  • Tom Servo changed the title to 2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo.