Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo.


Recommended Posts

Ian Rappaport reporting Urban Meyer "expects" to be coaching the Jags next year...and if not Urban they could go after Ryan Day. Fascinating. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After paying his dues, my son gets to finally officially cover Gator football. @alligatorSports: Football writer @Bfarrell727 breaks down DC Todd Grantham's two-pronged defensive strategy and how

There is also great optimism outside Michigan that the deal gets wrapped up soon. 

Between Notre Dame and Dabo today Jesus has to really be rethinking his corporate sponsorships......

Man if you asked me tomorrow who you’d want to lead your program...Herman or Sark, I think a lot of people would immediately say Herman? Seems like such a weird decision. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, facook said:

Ian Rappaport reporting Urban Meyer "expects" to be coaching the Jags next year...and if not Urban they could go after Ryan Day. Fascinating. 

NOOOOOOOOO!!!

  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!

A) The list of successful college coaches who have flamed out on the pro level is long.

B) Jags don't have a GM. If they hire Urbs, that GM will be a yes man personnel guy. 

C) I'd rather they hire a good GM first then let him sign the HC (with NFL coordinator experience at least).

D) If Urbs got the job and passed on Trevor Lawrence to draft Fields I'd be pissed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Capella said:

SOURCE: There is optimism inside Michigan that Jim Harbaugh's new deal will get wrapped up soon with an extension thru 2026.
 

:lmao: :lmao: 

:kicksrock:

23 minutes ago, Capella said:

There is also great optimism outside Michigan that the deal gets wrapped up soon. 

:lmao:

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, facook said:

Ian Rappaport reporting Urban Meyer "expects" to be coaching the Jags next year...and if not Urban they could go after Ryan Day. Fascinating. 

I don’t think it will happen but if Day went to the Jags, he gets his choice of Lawrence  or Fields. Would be an interesting dynamic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Capella said:

Man if you asked me tomorrow who you’d want to lead your program...Herman or Sark, I think a lot of people would immediately say Herman? Seems like such a weird decision. 

There are reports out there that Sark is a better person now than when he was an HC before. 
I don’t know if a place like Texas is the place to attempt that comeback. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

A) The list of successful college coaches who have flamed out on the pro level is long.

B) Jags don't have a GM. If they hire Urbs, that GM will be a yes man personnel guy. 

C) I'd rather they hire a good GM first then let him sign the HC (with NFL coordinator experience at least).

D) If Urbs got the job and passed on Trevor Lawrence to draft Fields I'd be pissed.

Agree with most, but D is not likely.
 

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/former-ohio-state-head-coach-urban-meyer-calls-trevor-lawrence-the-best-quarterback-ever/

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

I don’t think it will happen but if Day went to the Jags, he gets his choice of Lawrence  or Fields. Would be an interesting dynamic. 

Yeah I don't think either gets the job.  I guess a little less surprising if it's Urb.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capella said:

SOURCE: There is optimism inside Michigan that Jim Harbaugh's new deal will get wrapped up soon with an extension thru 2026.
 

:lmao: :lmao: 

I thought this was to lessen the impact of firing him next year?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who pays the bill on getting rid of guys like Herman and staff?  At a state school I mean.  $24M is a lot of coin. 

Does it come from the athletic booster fund?  So alumni?   Or state coffers thus the Texas taxpayers?  Or some other place like tuitions over the past xxx years ? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Desert_Power said:

Iowa state with over 2x1 time of possession. They should be able to just lean on this game in the 2nd half.

Don't really have to "lean"....Ducks just giving it away.  Sigh.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capella said:

Man if you asked me tomorrow who you’d want to lead your program...Herman or Sark, I think a lot of people would immediately say Herman? Seems like such a weird decision. 

I so love this. OU is controlling the narrative in Austin, so delicious. 
 

I don’t understand how Matt Campbell doesn’t get more love. He’s much better than some of these recycled coaches getting bigger jobs. His day will come. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capella said:

SOURCE: There is optimism inside Michigan that Jim Harbaugh's new deal will get wrapped up soon with an extension thru 2026.
 

:lmao: :lmao: 

AWESOME!!! :lol:

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Who pays the bill on getting rid of guys like Herman and staff?  At a state school I mean.  $24M is a lot of coin. 

Does it come from the athletic booster fund?  So alumni?   Or state coffers thus the Texas taxpayers?  Or some other place like tuitions over the past xxx years ? 

 

 

Revenue....TV, tickets, donations, etc. Texas Football pulls in $150M/year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

I so love this. OU is controlling the narrative in Austin, so delicious. 
 

I don’t understand how Matt Campbell doesn’t get more love. He’s much better than some of these recycled coaches getting bigger jobs. His day will come. 

There were rumors FSU wanted him last year but he said no thanks. Not sure if true. I am surprised Texas didn’t make a move on him. Maybe he’s truly not interested. 

Edited by Capella
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

How’s it possible that these teams haven’t scored yet in the 2nd half ?

Iowa State ran the ball and controlled the clock, that’s what they do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Commish said:

If "product" includes atmosphere, tailgating, stadiums, pre/post events, absolutely...hands down, no question.

Nope. I’m talking about kicking back on my sofa and watching the product on TV.  Four years ago I would argue with several of you that the nfl was a better product and post how 80% of the top 20 won by 20 or more. Many would fire back with decent argues why college was better. I’m still enjoying the nfl the same but college games are getting less of my eyeball time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Nope. I’m talking about kicking back on my sofa and watching the product on TV.  Four years ago I would argue with several of you that the nfl was a better product and post how 80% of the top 20 won by 20 or more. Many would fire back with decent argues why college was better. I’m still enjoying the nfl the same but college games are getting less of my eyeball time. 

The atmosphere comes through the tv too, especially for night games at iconic venues. The nfl is obviously the better league but their tv presentation is blah and every stadium is the same. *plays crazy train before kickoff*

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t get the Urban Meyer shtick. This is a guy who got too stressed out going 11-1 every year and beating teams by 35 points at Florida and Ohio State so he’s going to go coach the [checks again] ... Jacksonville Jaguars? In the freaking NFL??  He can’t sad eat Papa John’s 13 times a year. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Please let Urban go to the Jags and take Fields. Please let that be so.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I love the guy talking smack about "Norte Dame (sic)" and their academics.

Saw a tweet yesterday that said this is the worst day of Notre Dame fan’s life since they got their Ivy League denial letters. Come on that’s funny. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Please let Urban go to the Jags and take Fields. Please let that be so.

That would be a plot twist for sure. Unlikely but sure would be amazing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capella said:

The atmosphere comes through the tv too, especially for night games at iconic venues. The nfl is obviously the better league but their tv presentation is blah and every stadium is the same. *plays crazy train before kickoff*

Blaring loud train horns every 3rd downs or touchdown doesn't get you pumped? :lmao:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Capella said:

Saw a tweet yesterday that said this is the worst day of Notre Dame fan’s life since they got their Ivy League denial letters. Come on that’s funny. 

It indeed is funny.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@mortreport: Kellen Moore will remain as the Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator in 2021, bypassing an opportunity to return to his alma mater at Boise St as HC, per league sources to @WerderEdESPN and me.
Cowboys expect to sign Moore to an extension, per sources.

  • Thinking 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

Blaring loud train horns every 3rd downs or touchdown doesn't get you pumped? :lmao:

That Cincy-UGA game could’ve done without the air raid siren after any score. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

@mortreport: Kellen Moore will remain as the Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator in 2021, bypassing an opportunity to return to his alma mater at Boise St as HC, per league sources to @WerderEdESPN and me.
Cowboys expect to sign Moore to an extension, per sources.

Even for an alum, going from the Dallas Cowboys to the Mountain West is a pretty steep fall. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Capella said:

Even for an alum, going from the Dallas Cowboys to the Mountain West is a pretty steep fall. 

Despite how much people not from Texas rip on the Cowboys and Jerry Jones, it really is a marquee place to be for football. Almost an epicenter of football in Texas, which is football crazy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jayded said:

Arik Gilbert apparently leaving LSU

[GeorgeCostanzaOppositeDay]

LSU fans over at TigerDroppings posting heartfelt thanks for all of his efforts in the purple-and-gold and warm wishes for Gilbert's future.

[/GeorgeCostanzaOppositeDay]

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Nope. I’m talking about kicking back on my sofa and watching the product on TV.  Four years ago I would argue with several of you that the nfl was a better product and post how 80% of the top 20 won by 20 or more. Many would fire back with decent argues why college was better. I’m still enjoying the nfl the same but college games are getting less of my eyeball time. 

:shrug:  If that's the case, I'd hope the NFL was "better".

I'd still GO to a college game any day over an NFL game.  The superbowl is probably the most overrated in person experience I've ever been to.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Commish said:

The superbowl is probably the most overrated in person experience I've ever been to.  

too corporate an event. it's so expensive that regular people get priced out.

still on my bucket list, but i don't expect it to be an exciting fan experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

too corporate an event. it's so expensive that regular people get priced out.

still on my bucket list, but i don't expect it to be an exciting fan experience.

I’ve always wanted to go, but I’ve been to championships in the other 3 major sports and while they are series and nowhere near the spectacle of Super Bowls, once the ball is in play you kinda just sit down and watch a game. 
 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm too old and too far behind on the lingo ... but how long has "chest" been used to mean "heart", "fire", "determination", "want-to"? Been seeing that all of a sudden (to me) on some football message boards.

Is that what Antonio Brown's "Mr. Big Chest" was in reference to? That he was calling himself something like "Mr. Determination"?

Edited by Doug B
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, The Commish said:

:shrug:  If that's the case, I'd hope the NFL was "better".

I'd still GO to a college game any day over an NFL game.  The superbowl is probably the most overrated in person experience I've ever been to.  

I make a point of going to one CFB game every year--except this one. It usually involves a plane flight and a hotel stay. To get me to Bears game, you'd have to buy my ticket, drive me to Soldier Field, and pay for my food and drinks. And I'd still have to think about it long and hard before committing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Commish said:

:shrug:  If that's the case, I'd hope the NFL was "better".

I'd still GO to a college game any day over an NFL game.  The superbowl is probably the most overrated in person experience I've ever been to.  

I'm a ND season ticket holder and have no desire to go to a Bears game.  I still think the NFL is a far better product, while college is a better experience.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Tom Servo changed the title to 2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...