Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:39 PM, JaxBill said:

Apparently he didn't want to serve his suspension for smoking the fake weed, so he quit.  Any idea if he has to sit out this year?  I haven't been able to find anything definitive.

6 minutes ago, psychobillies said:

And welcome to signing day.  Remember when signing day had it's own thread?  It used to be a pretty fun day, but I guess early signing day messed everything up.  

Can anyone explain how Bama signs 28 players every year?

Doesn’t Saban dismiss players who don’t make the cut or something?

Just now, Capella said:

Doesn’t Saban dismiss players who don’t make the cut or something?

He does all the time, but it's not supposed to free up a scholarship.  Neither is a player leaving through the portal, or quitting or anything else.  It's supposed to be a hard cap of 50 scholarships every 2 years I believe.   

13 minutes ago, psychobillies said:

He does all the time, but it's not supposed to free up a scholarship.  Neither is a player leaving through the portal, or quitting or anything else.  It's supposed to be a hard cap of 50 scholarships every 2 years I believe.   

Oh I don’t know then. I didn’t even know it was signing day until I opened this thread. That sure fizzled away as an event.

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Oh I don’t know then. I didn’t even know it was signing day until I opened this thread. That sure fizzled away as an event.

I know, it's a shame.  I don't really understand the need for an early signing day.  It just ruined everything.

4 minutes ago, Capella said:

Probably much more efficient for the bagmen to wrap it up earlier. Have to imagine a lot of booster money getting wasted on these last second decisions over the years. You need that money to buy out coaches :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Just now, Capella said:

I know, it's a shame.  I don't really understand the need for an early signing day.  It just ruined everything.

The 🐐 was the best pure recruiter and planner already, and now he’s building on the best development results. A video went public of his pitch and it’s pretty simple...you’ll win and I’ll develop you better than anyone else.

His current Senior recruiting class was Najee Harris, Tua, Jeudy, Devonta Smith, Ruggs, Mac Jones, Leatherwood, Dylan Moses, Xavier McKinney.

“People think position coaches and area coaches are critical and all this and that,” said Blake Brockermeyer, the father of Tommy and James. “Winning, program consistency and development is all that matters to those with great options. We love Flood and Scott, but the equipment manager could have recruited us as long as Saban is there.”

Edited by gump

2 hours ago, JaxBill said:

picturing Ted Lasso

@Rob__Paul: Gus Malzahn gets to go from Bo Nix to Dillon Gabriel at QB and doesn’t have to play an SEC slate? Seems like a win-win for ol’ Gus. 

It's being reported he's keeping his buyout from Auburn...win-win-win!

He struggled to develop players especially QBs, but inheriting a great QB in this conference should be a good fit to start at least.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gump said:

Barry retiring.  He’s a legend, and I’m sure will still be involved. I’ve spent a little time with McIntosh...hard to be a more impressive guy. 

Alvarez did an absolutely incredible job turning the WI athletic program around.

12 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

Alvarez did an absolutely incredible job turning the WI athletic program around.

It hurt ND a lot when he left for Wisconsin.   He was a recruiting monster in Chicago.

Thought we had a thread on paying college athletes, but I can't find it.  Yesterday began the SC case against the NCAA.  Not holding my breath, but seems like there's a shot at a successful anti-trust argument.  

• Like 2

On 2/15/2021 at 9:26 AM, JaxBill said:

picturing Ted Lasso

@Rob__Paul: Gus Malzahn gets to go from Bo Nix to Dillon Gabriel at QB and doesn’t have to play an SEC slate? Seems like a win-win for ol’ Gus. 

UCF has posted these billboards around Georgia and Florida.  I drove by the one in Tallahassee today. (Identical except for mileage)

@RedditCFB: Billboard spotted in Gainesville. 👀 (h/t /r/floridagators) https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1379548780723281920/photo/1

Edited by JaxBill
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JaxBill said:

@CAAFootball: What?!? How?!? Look at this TD Pass from @NovaFootball as they cut it to a one-score game with 3 minutes remaining. https://twitter.com/CAAFootball/status/1383510002913083398/video/1

At first I thought, "He was down,"  He was not down.  Love the celebration by 33 on defense and then the WTF reaction by him at the end of the clip.  :lmao: 

On 4/6/2021 at 7:09 PM, JaxBill said:

UCF has posted these billboards around Georgia and Florida.  I drove by the one in Tallahassee today. (Identical except for mileage)

@RedditCFB: Billboard spotted in Gainesville. 👀 (h/t /r/floridagators) https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1379548780723281920/photo/1

The future of college football is Gus Malzahn going 9-3 in the 6th-best conference?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 3:07 PM, Steve Tasker said:
On 12/8/2020 at 1:46 PM, CletiusMaximus said:

This is a fantastic story for Buffalo and for Lance Leipold.  He was the coach at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater (city where I was born) for 8 seasons, in which time he won 6 Div. III national titles with an overall record of 109 wins and 6 defeats.  An absolutely incredible run in a very competitive division. He was also a high school quarterback and multi-sport star at Jefferson high school. I played against him once in a non-conference game.  He's still pretty young for a head coach.  I would hope he sticks around at Buffalo a couple years, but I'll bet some offers will be coming in after this season.

Expand  

It's very clear that he is a great football coach.  He has taken a middling, average-at-best MAC team and has now put together 4 straight very solid seasons.  Considering the program's history, the idea that they haven't had a losing season since 2016 is a pretty big deal.  If you would've told me 10 years ago that the team would be consistently in the mix for the MAC title, consistently making bowl games, and cracked the top 25 - even if it only lasts a week - I'd have said you're crazy.

What has really sold me on Leipold are 2 points in particular.  One - a keen eye for recruiting, and two - the willingness to innovate.  The unconfirmed rumblings around UB recruiting these days is that other schools in the region - P5s or G5s - pay attention when UB offers a recruit.  They have a very strong reputation among G5s now for being able to identify talent.  Jaret Patterson was an unknown recruit, and Buffalo was the only FBS school to offer him.  Starting QB Kyle Vantrease (one of the better QBs in the country per PFF, for whatever that's worth) was an unheralded 3-star from Ohio, and Buffalo scooped him up despite him playing HS ball like 5 miles from Kent State.  One of the knocks on Leipold when he got here was a lack of recruiting pipeline - the story was that the recruits just fell right into his lap at Whitewater.  Leipold made the extremely shrewd move of bringing on Rob Ianello (former HC at Akron and former RC at Notre Dame and Kansas) as AHC and recruiting coordinator from day 1.

From the innovation side, the team has gone from a throw-first spread offense to a run-heavy zone running scheme basically overnight.  They had a 6'6" gunslinger - let's throw the ball all day.  You have two extremely talented RBs and a powerful OL - let's run the ball all day.  There has been no force-fitting players into a scheme that doesn't make sense.  The way they have remolded the entire offensive side of the ball in 3 years while continuing to win the entire time has been astounding.

I think he's certainly on the radar for bigger schools.  Selfishly I'm hoping that UB can come up with the money to keep him happy and that his age (56) keeps some of the other bigger programs away.  Programs are looking for that hot young coach to setup for 25 years of success, I think Leipold is past that point.  Like, we all knew Nate Oats was going to have bigtime offers - he was never going to stay.  Leipold, there's at least a fleeting hope.  UB has poured a ton of money into football - despite having more success in basketball - with a brand new fieldhouse and brand new locker room in just the past 3 years.  The program is night-and-day compared to when I was a student manager.  It'd be a dream to have Leipold for another 10 years and handoff to his hand-picked successor.  But who knows.

Kansas hires Buffalo's Lance Leipold as football coach

Bummer for the Bulls, but it seems he's leaving Buffalo in a much better place than when he joined and hopefully they can build on that.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Kansas hires Buffalo's Lance Leipold as football coach

Bummer for the Bulls, but it seems he's leaving Buffalo in a much better place than when he joined and hopefully they can build on that.

Was only a matter of time.  Really sucks to have it happen in late April....kinda leaves the team in a lurch.

I'm also a bit surprised he chose Kansas.  Buffalo looks to be in a very good spot this year, should be a MAC title contender, bowl contender.....Leipold's stock would still be high come January 2022, and he would have options for much better programs than Kansas.  But perhaps he likes a challenge, or perhaps he thinks this is the best he could get and he wants to secure the bag.  Can't blame him for that.

Edited by Steve Tasker
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Profiting off of likeness will be here soon. 

I both think that it’s a good and fair thing for the student athletes and that it’ll completely change the game for the worse moving forward. The gap between have and have nots is already high, I can only imagine what kind of endorsements you get from being a QB at a top program. 

7 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

So what do we think about a high school junior, 4 star RB who is committed to Texas, deciding to voluntarily sit out his senior year in high school?

https://twitter.com/JaydonBlue/status/1395500979995488259/photo/1

Do you want this kid on your team?

Business decision. Good for him. Kids who are guaranteed high nfl draft spots should sit out college too. 

• Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

So what do we think about a high school junior, 4 star RB who is committed to Texas, deciding to voluntarily sit out his senior year in high school?

This is getting weird.  If he gets hurt, they probably still sign him.  Medical redshirt, great rehab facilities.  I would think that missing a whole developmental year to avoid potential injury might be counter productive.  He's still growing. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Ideally, I would want players that really want to play the game. But I also realize that these players are exploited by the current college system, so I try not to judge them for business decisions. :shrug: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desert_Power said:

Ideally, I would want players that really want to play the game. But I also realize that these players are exploited by the current college system, so I try not to judge them for business decisions. :shrug: 

I don't disagree, I'm just not sure it's a good business decision.   

14 minutes ago, psychobillies said:

On a semi-related note, it was interesting that Chase still went first off the board at WR despite sitting out/going up against a Heisman. Quite a few players still went relatively high. Not sure any conclusions will be drawn, but will be one to follow.

1 hour ago, Capella said:

Business decision. Good for him. Kids who are guaranteed high nfl draft spots should sit out college too. 

I guess we have to assume Texas approved this, right? I don’t pretend to understand this stuff, but my impression is it’s a huge loss to miss an entire season at that age. Also, the romantic in me says you want kids who want to play football and are passionate about it. A kid sitting out his senior year strikes me as a huge red flag. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Desert_Power said:

On a semi-related note, it was interesting that Chase still went first off the board at WR despite sitting out/going up against a Heisman. Quite a few players still went relatively high. Not sure any conclusions will be drawn, but will be one to follow.

It seems like it hurt some players and had little to no effect on others.  Chase was smart because he was elite and NFL ready after his So. year.  If Devonte had opted out, would he have been a 1st round pick?   I doubt it.  Several players did not go as high as they hoped after opting out.  

I just can't imagine a 17/18 year old kid missing a key developmental year is a good idea.  His muscles are still growing, he's still learning how to play at this point.  I wish him the best, but if it was my kid, I'd tell him to play.

9 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I guess we have to assume Texas approved this, right? I don’t pretend to understand this stuff, but my impression is it’s a huge loss to miss an entire season at that age. Also, the romantic in me says you want kids who want to play football and are passionate about it. A kid sitting out his senior year strikes me as a huge red flag. 

I don’t think you can expect kids to be romantic and passionate about football while the admins and executives are using it to pump money into their wallets while the kids go unpaid. That’s not fair imo. 

I assumed Texas approved it or he’s take a huge gamble. If they didn’t, then yes he should play but if Texas already took him I doubt he has any shortage of suitors. 

46 minutes ago, Capella said:

I don’t think you can expect kids to be romantic and passionate about football while the admins and executives are using it to pump money into their wallets while the kids go unpaid. That’s not fair imo. 

I assumed Texas approved it or he’s take a huge gamble. If they didn’t, then yes he should play but if Texas already took him I doubt he has any shortage of suitors. 

The Longhorn Network can show him doing homework next fall. 

Maybe high school sponsors should pay kids to play too.  I understand his reasoning and his desire to avoid injury, but I do feel for his teammates and school.  I mean, I suppose they want to win and all.  

His decision and while I'm sure he'll have lots of supporters, I imagine he'll also catch some flack in the HS social media circles about bailing on the team or some such as that.  

58 minutes ago, Capella said:

He is .9788 on the 247 composite. I'm sure he plenty of colleges would take him if Texas dropped him. 

51 minutes ago, Capella said:

I get that it’s not fair that he does all the work and assumes all the risk for no pay. In my perfect world, sports and school are completely separate institutions, as is the case almost everywhere else in the world.  If he were a soccer player in S.America or Europe, he’d have a relationship with a club and not have to put up with the charade of school, grades, eligibility and the corrupt NCAA boondoggle.

As a HS junior, he’s an extreme long shot to ever collect a paycheck playing football. It’s not about the decision he’s made being right or wrong, but more what is says about his motivations. 

• Like 1

I have no idea if it's true, but someone on the LSU board suggested that he's had issues fighting with teammates and coaches.  Maybe it has more to do with that than anything else.  Kid may just be off a little.

25 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I get that it’s not fair that he does all the work and assumes all the risk for no pay. In my perfect world, sports and school are completely separate institutions, as is the case almost everywhere else in the world.  If he were a soccer player in S.America or Europe, he’d have a relationship with a club and not have to put up with the charade of school, grades, eligibility and the corrupt NCAA boondoggle.

As a HS junior, he’s an extreme long shot to ever collect a paycheck playing football. It’s not about the decision he’s made being right or wrong, but more what is says about his motivations. 

Without knowing anything about him, he plays a position where players get hurt constantly. If he suffered some severe concussion or tore an ACL would Texas respect his scholarship? I don’t think we can answer that but schools pull them all the time. 

It’s definitely an odd decision for us since he hasn’t proven himself but as desert power said he’s a very highly rankled recruit so it’ll work out for him. Honestly, Texas is probably thrilled knowing he won’t get hurt before he gets to them. 

12 hours ago, psychobillies said:

We won't really know for a few years I guess. My comp in this situation is always Adrian Peterson, for you it's probably Fournette. I think they both would have been fine had they skipped their senior year of HS, and I think they were both NFL-ready their freshman year of college. This kid is on their level, one of the best RBs in the class. It's for sure a gamble on his part, but not one I can begrudge him for taking. The way we do this sucks so hard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

In my perfect world, sports and school are completely separate institutions, as is the case almost everywhere else in the world.  If he were a soccer player in S.America or Europe, he’d have a relationship with a club and not have to put up with the charade of school, grades, eligibility and the corrupt NCAA boondoggle.

1000x this.

Rutgers is up to #6 overall in the recruiting rankings after landing the #1 player in NJ, a 4* OL. 

And to think, once again, that if the fanbase stayed quiet our AD would've hired Addazio instead of Schiano. 

• Like 1