What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NASCAR will have BLM car in next race (1 Viewer)

i hope there wont be blow back from this decision but sadly this wont be the outcome

it will be interesting on how NASCAR will implement and handles people at the races when they bring this gear in 

because of your liberty and freedoms , you don't tell me to wear a mask so don't tell me i cant bring or wear this attitude 

Banning confederate flags?  I'm a proud liberal, and confederate flag lovin' Southern Virginians are a big reason I moved 2500 miles away, but I don't know about banning flags. 

Banning confederate flags?  I'm a proud liberal, and confederate flag lovin' Southern Virginians are a big reason I moved 2500 miles away, but I don't know about banning flags. 
If I understand they don’t want them flying in their infields or the stands. Nothing wrong with this.

The Sounders in Seattle had an issue with some flag that was showing up in the fan section (I think it was actually tied into Antifa somehow) they banned this from the stands. 

Not sure how it is enforced.

More of a symbolic thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because as General Robert E Lee said (paraphrasing)... reminders of the confederacy should be sent to oblivion. They will only make it so our country wont heal.

And he was exactly accurate.

For a struggling sport, will they gain more fans than they alienate with this move?   Or did they solve a problem that didn't exist?

Private organization.  They can ban whatever they want, and I agree that the confederate flag is a toxic presence that we would be better off without.

I grew up in southern Indiana, which isn't quite racist enough to have a lot of neo-confederate thought, but is just racist enough to have lots of proud-southern-heritage thought and therefore a lot of confederate flags on display.  I would not be in favor of the government banning this flag, but it's kind of stupid and not conducive to good mental health.

For a struggling sport, will they gain more fans than they alienate with this move?   Or did they solve a problem that didn't exist?
I live in Alabama and probably in the last 6 months I've seen 1 Confederate flag.  That was on the Interstate on I-65 coming home from the beach.  Some guy erected it on private property and put a huge flag up with fencing around it.  Now, the last time I went to Atlanta on a raceday and passed Talladega, there were flags everywhere on the campers and trucks parked out between the interstate and the raceway.  Pretty much the view here is that the NASCAR folks are the reddest of the rednecks.  And most of those people that have the flags wouldn't deem that an insult.  Some likely fly them at home or on their pickup truck in the rural areas but many I'm sure just bring them out for the races.  I really don't care one way or the other about it but it's gonna be nasty and some drunk people are going to bring them in and probably a few fights will happen.  I used to see the flag a lot more, but I live in the most suburban area of the state now and grew up in a rural one.  But even when I go back home now I don't see them.  I'm sure they are there, but when you happen to run into someone with one now, you notice it because it's not common. I think there is some disconnect though with what it means to those who have it or fly it, certainly in the past, with those who have a visceral reaction to it.

I live in Alabama and probably in the last 6 months I've seen 1 Confederate flag.  That was on the Interstate on I-65 coming home from the beach.  Some guy erected it on private property and put a huge flag up with fencing around it.  Now, the last time I went to Atlanta on a raceday and passed Talladega, there were flags everywhere on the campers and trucks parked out between the interstate and the raceway.  Pretty much the view here is that the NASCAR folks are the reddest of the rednecks.  And most of those people that have the flags wouldn't deem that an insult.  Some likely fly them at home or on their pickup truck in the rural areas but many I'm sure just bring them out for the races.  I really don't care one way or the other about it but it's gonna be nasty and some drunk people are going to bring them in and probably a few fights will happen.  I used to see the flag a lot more, but I live in the most suburban area of the state now and grew up in a rural one.  But even when I go back home now I don't see them.  I'm sure they are there, but when you happen to run into someone with one now, you notice it because it's not common. I think there is some disconnect though with what it means to those who have it or fly it, certainly in the past, with those who have a visceral reaction to it.
I have spent time on many backroads of Bama, Mississipi, Georgia and Tennessee.  This was 15 years ago at this point, I'm sure the flag was being made an issue by that point.  But I was amazed by how FEW I saw.  I expected to see just a galaxy of them.  Likewise I went to Talladega, and I don't know if I closely scanned the infield, I was in the grandstand but I'm a yankee through and through and I went through the lot looking for pictures of flags to take but I didn't see any.  One day, one race does not a sample make, but I thought it was interesting. 

I'm wondering where this comes from, was it driver driven?   Sponsors?  Full disclosure, its a loser flag to me, literally, I have no vested interest or fight in it, it just reminds me of MLB chasing fans who'll never embrace them but possibly risking their core audience in big changes.  And this is another step in trying to break out of the southern feel, but their southern thing is one of their main appeals. 

Full disclosure, one race was enough for me, I don't care if they ever run another run another race again

I have spent time on many backroads of Bama, Mississipi, Georgia and Tennessee.  This was 15 years ago at this point, I'm sure the flag was being made an issue by that point.  But I was amazed by how FEW I saw.  I expected to see just a galaxy of them.  Likewise I went to Talladega, and I don't know if I closely scanned the infield, I was in the grandstand but I'm a yankee through and through and I went through the lot looking for pictures of flags to take but I didn't see any.  One day, one race does not a sample make, but I thought it was interesting. 

I'm wondering where this comes from, was it driver driven?   Sponsors?  Full disclosure, its a loser flag to me, literally, I have no vested interest or fight in it, it just reminds me of MLB chasing fans who'll never embrace them but possibly risking their core audience in big changes.  And this is another step in trying to break out of the southern feel, but their southern thing is one of their main appeals. 

Full disclosure, one race was enough for me, I don't care if they ever run another run another race again
Personally, the flag folks are probably their most ardent fans.  There aren't exactly a lot of corporate clients hanging out at those races.  I've never watched a race, never plan to.  No interest in a bunch of cars turning left all day long.

Ftr Nascar "requested" in 2015 people stop flying the flag. Now it's an out right ban.

I love reading the Twitter thread on it :lol:

People lose their ####, then the find out Earnhardt was against the flag and they lose their #### even more :lmao:

It came from some black fans and drivers.  The most recent events in America put Bubba Wallace front and center as the only black driver

Well thats fair enough and they certainly didn't have a choice

During an April 29 show coinciding with what would have been her father’s 64th birthday, Kelley Earnhardt Miller took fans’ questions about the legend and shared a story that “will show a lot about my dad’s heart and just how he cared for people because he was very intimidating.

“On my dad’s truck, he had this sticker with a rebel flag that said ‘American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.’ At the time, we had this housekeeper named Ann, and she was the most awesome lady. She was an African-American lady, and she asked my stepmother about my dad’s rebel flag on the back of his truck.

“And so the next thing we know my dad’s out there with a knife and a razor blade, and he’s cutting the rebel flag out of the sticker. He didn’t want to offend anybody or make anybody mad in that manner. It was so sweet. It was a little kind-hearted thing. She just thought that was the best. She’s like, ‘That’s just so awesome that you would do that.’ He had a good heart, a big heart.”

I'm a big Nascar fan and I'm a firm believer in if you don't like something "don't look/turn it off".

I dont want your faux outrage.  This tv show is sexist so I'm going to watch it and complain instead of not watch.

But the flag is much bigger.  I've come to realize that.

I'm a big Nascar fan and I'm a firm believer in if you don't like something "don't look/turn it off".

I dont want your faux outrage.  This tv show is sexist so I'm going to watch it and complain instead of not watch.

But the flag is much bigger.  I've come to realize that.
As a fan could you guess how much of the current fanbase this is going to piss off? 

As a fan could you guess how much of the current fanbase this is going to piss off? 
Overall not a ton. Many of the good ole boys left when Nascar sanitized and went commercial.  Sure you still have races deep south like Talladega. Some fly that flag "as a southern thing", some get it, some are actual racists.

I'd say 10%...

I have no true numbers just a guess.  Trump was at Daytona and the drivers loved it but many don't agree with the flag. Just a weird dynamic

ETA: I mean people call Wallace the n word and wish he would die and calls him a quota online all the time. So maybe a little higher

Private organization.  They can ban whatever they want, and I agree that the confederate flag is a toxic presence that we would be better off without.

I grew up in southern Indiana, which isn't quite racist enough to have a lot of neo-confederate thought, but is just racist enough to have lots of proud-southern-heritage thought and therefore a lot of confederate flags on display.  I would not be in favor of the government banning this flag, but it's kind of stupid and not conducive to good mental health.
I grew up in Southern Indiana as well. Don’t remember the confederate flag but I would definitely say there were areas that were extremely racist, or more just anti-anyone who looked differently than they did. If you had long hair you were going to be in trouble. 

Who's the poor shlub that has to drive the BLM car?  Is the number on it "X"??
Poor slub is #43 Bubba Wallace. African-American driver. Bubba is a pretty popular driver. Drives the Richard Petty 43 car. Not sure if his individual political beliefs. 

I had no problem at all with the sponsorship until I just found out BLM is still rioting. Toppled over a statue in VA. Somebody got hurt pretty bad.

Another opportunity for goodwill wasted.

Pull the sponsorship.

I had no problem at all with the sponsorship until I just found out BLM is still rioting. Toppled over a statue in VA. Somebody got hurt pretty bad.

Pull the sponsorship.
I can't find where it was BLM....if you're talking about the Columbus statue, I'd put my money on native Americans for the win.

Ha....two second google search produces this:

Vanessa Bolin, a member of the Richmond Indigenous Society, told the crowd she did not come “to hijack” the protests against police brutality, but to “stand in solidarity” with the people. Another speaker, Joseph Rogers, declared the area “Powhatan land”, and talked about the impact of white supremacy and institutionalized racism on both groups. 

Pull the sponsorship.
I'm not going to lose sleep over crowds pulling down statues of a man best left forgotten for his crimes, who was 5 centuries late in "discovering" America, then kidnapped and did other unspeakable things to the natives.

Had a Facebook friend post a shared post that this was the end of nascar. I don’t follow that sport but then seen the news airing of no more confederate flags and figures that’s what he was “protesting”. I’m sure it will be like the NFL fans that said they weren’t watching during the kneeling controversy and 2 weeks latter they were back watching...

Had a Facebook friend post a shared post that this was the end of nascar. I don’t follow that sport but then seen the news airing of no more confederate flags and figures that’s what he was “protesting”. I’m sure it will be like the NFL fans that said they weren’t watching during the kneeling controversy and 2 weeks latter they were back watching...
Were they? That was the first ratings dip they ever took

LINK

This is great. To me this is more evidence how far on the wrong side of this issue Trump is.

Wondering how this is going to play out with fans. 

NASCAR also announced it will ban the Confederate flag at their races.
$$$$$  Love it! ...Smart business decision.   NASCAR will open up a whole new urban audience with apparel. 

Were they? That was the first ratings dip they ever took
Some were. I remember calling a couple friends out because they swore up and down they were done with it and then a couple weeks latter they were commenting on the game. They admitted they went back on what they said. I’m sure there were many that walked not to return.

As long as BLM toes the line & behaves, I don't care what they do.

NASCAR is an odd fit, haha. This is going to be interesting.

I'm sure they were attracted by the Confederate aspect of NASCAR (to try to assert themselves).

They need to try to find more goodwill options, IMO. They're up to their old tricks of canceling, silencing Brees, & calling out black conservatives by banning the Confederate flag. Like many things they do, I don't believe that's a wise long-term decision. They need to work smarter, not harder. Stop trying to show how tough they are.

Some were. I remember calling a couple friends out because they swore up and down they were done with it and then a couple weeks latter they were commenting on the game. They admitted they went back on what they said. I’m sure there were many that walked not to return.
I was astounded, had two guys leave my 20 year league over it.  I love football, I could care less what Kapernick does but I see all these as entertainment options.  So I don’t care if he can’t get a job, if the galaxy cuts that guy or nascar does what they do.  An entertainment option isn’t obligated to have anyone’s dollar.  

Poor slub is #43 Bubba Wallace. African-American driver. Bubba is a pretty popular driver. Drives the Richard Petty 43 car. Not sure if his individual political beliefs. 
The problem is anybody who side-drafts him too aggressively and wrecks him now will be accused of racism.  

He is a good driver--not a great driver so Nascar is setting themselves up for problems here. 

Users who are viewing this thread