What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump coming to Tulsa. (1 Viewer)

I have to go soon, but I'd love to stay & do some railing.

I'm not going to engage any individuals who can't have an honest discussion, but this CAN'T be your go-to defense. It just can't.

It's disingenuous at best.

It's lose and no I didn't. You could never convict any member of BLM or anyone else from a sticker placed in a store window that anyone could have put there. 
Didn’t happen unless they get convicted. Interrrrrresting.  I got a whole list of you being hypocritical to that. You ready?  

Didn’t happen unless they get convicted. Interrrrrresting.  I got a whole list of you being hypocritical to that. You ready?  
Straw Man, I did not say or suggest that. My point was that no one would ever be charged or convicted in any criminal court in this country, based on a sticker some unidentified person placed in a store window. 

So just an update...

Wanted to post before I run an errand. Talking with some people, there are growing concerns something could go wrong at the rally. Some people are oblivious, most aren't.

The theme I hear is locked & loaded (& I will be, too, but I always am). There's idiots everywhere, but Tulsa is generally made up of down-to-earth, hard-working people. We've made our mark in several industries. Fantastic town & I believe we've been on the top-10 list more than once.

That said, you can only be punched in the mouth so many times before you react. Tensions are high. Honestly, I wish the media would just drop it. It's doing nothing but fanning flames.

BLM is welcome to peacefully protest. If they do, I doubt there'll be any incidents, but one thing to remember is there'll be some white idiot outsiders who may look to start trouble. If they do, they'll quickly be stopped & told to #### (or worse). 

We tend to think worse case scenario so hopefully this is all for naught, but BLM needs to understand it's in their best interest to be on their best behavior.

So just an update...

Wanted to post before I run an errand. Talking with some people, there are growing concerns something could go wrong at the rally. Some people are oblivious, most aren't.

The theme I hear is locked & loaded (& I will be, too, but I always am). There's idiots everywhere, but Tulsa is generally made up of down-to-earth, hard-working people. We've made our mark in several industries. Fantastic town & I believe we've been on the top-10 list more than once.

That said, you can only be punched in the mouth so many times before you react. Tensions are high. Honestly, I wish the media would just drop it. It's doing nothing but fanning flames.

BLM is welcome to peacefully protest. If they do, I doubt there'll be any incidents, but one thing to remember is there'll be some white idiot outsiders who may look to start trouble. If they do, they'll quickly be stopped & told to #### (or worse). 

We tend to think worse case scenario so hopefully this is all for naught, but BLM needs to understand it's in their best interest to be on their best behavior.
Are there any Target stores nearby?  If not probably nothing to worry about. 

Straw Man, I did not say or suggest that. My point was that no one would ever be charged or convicted in any criminal court in this country, based on a sticker some unidentified person placed in a store window. 
Oof. Guy that took the photo was a witness. 

I’ll write this as respectfully as I can: the notion that CNN or other mainstream media attempt to “fan the flames” is a right wing fantasy, spoon fed to you by Fox News and right wing talk radio. It has no truth to it whatsoever. 
I addressed that a bit in the post above, but again, I wish the media would drop it.

I know where you're going, but unfortunately, there's a bunch of clowns representing your side right now. I've seen CNN's narrative. To the right people, it sounds to their ears very different than yours.

And I'll be man enough to say the same about Fox if it was the other way around in this particular instance. This isn't a time to be harping on a Trump rally. Get over it. If it's just about the virus, CNN should've been condemning the riots.

Last edited by a moderator:
CNN should've been condemning the riots.
Sorry but this just drive me nuts. THEY DID!!

CNN was generally supportive of the peaceful protests. But every time there was a riot or break in or looting, whoever the anchor or reporter was on CNN would say something like “that’s terrible. They’re hurting the cause! They’re destroying someone’s innocent business. They need to stop!” And they consistently rooted for the police in those situations. Every damn time. It was the exact same on MSNBC. What you’re suggesting a complete and total fabrication and distortion of what actually took place. 

CNN was generally supportive of the peaceful protests. But every time there was a riot or break in or looting, whoever the anchor or reporter was on CNN would say something like “that’s terrible. They’re hurting the cause! They’re destroying someone’s innocent business. They need to stop!” And they consistently rooted for the police in those situations. Every damn time. It was the exact same on MSNBC. What you’re suggesting a complete and total fabrication and distortion of what actually took place. 
And MSNBC had reporters and a camera crew at the protests in just about every major city. They were aghast at the destruction of property and looting, hardly cheerleading what was going on. 

We're arguing with a viewpoint that refuses to see any other possible narrative but their own. Every example that disproves them isn't real, or otherwise doesn't apply, but the ones that fit the narrative should be taken as Gospel.

I think we're talking about two different things.

Anyway, I'm not directly blaming CNN. ALL media outlets need to realize we are in unprecedented times.

I think things will go down ok, but you have to have your head in the sand not to believe there's potential for it to get ugly.

It's a protest not a dinner party.  Collectively, there is no doubt that neither the protesters nor the counter protesters will be on their best behavior.   

Guys, don't be so sensitive about CNN. There's not anything you could say about Fox that would interest me. Not really into that.

I catch it every once in awhile & honestly, I have to restrain myself from laughing sometimes. You guys feel the same about Fox. 

Big deal.

I think we're talking about two different things.

Anyway, I'm not directly blaming CNN. ALL media outlets need to realize we are in unprecedented times.

I think things will go down ok, but you have to have your head in the sand not to believe there's potential for it to get ugly.
You wrote “CNN should have been condemning the riots.” 
What did you mean by that? 

It's a protest not a dinner party.  Collectively, there is no doubt that neither the protesters nor the counter protesters will be on their best behavior.   
I guess we'll find out, but it's not going to be from locals (of any consequence).

What outsiders will do, I don't know.

You wrote “CNN should have been condemning the riots.” 
What did you mean by that? 
I'm simply saying if they're bashing the rally due to the virus, where was the same concern about the mass protests (edited).

That said, I don't exactly know what they're peddling right now.

I'm simply saying if they're bashing the rally due to the virus, where was the same concern about the riots?

That said, I don't exactly know what they're peddling right now.
Do you see any difference between the riots and peaceful protests? Or are they one and the same to you? 

I addressed that a bit in the post above, but again, I wish the media would drop it.

I know where you're going, but unfortunately, there's a bunch of clowns representing your side right now. I've seen CNN's narrative. To the right people, it sounds to their ears very different than yours.

And I'll be man enough to say the same about Fox if it was the other way around in this particular instance. This isn't a time to be harping on a Trump rally. Get over it. If it's just about the virus, CNN should've been condemning the riots.
Al freakin Sharpton was talking down about the riots and looting :lol:

Al freakin Sharpton was talking down about the riots and looting :lol:
I've clarified it. I should've said mass protests. Of course everyone should be condemning rioting (CNN or otherwise).

If CNN isn't condemning the mass protests, then they should #### about the rally.

You don't get to have it both ways.

Plus, this is one rally in one town, not mass protests across the country.

I've clarified it. I should've said mass protests. Of course everyone should be condemning rioting (CNN or otherwise).

If CNN isn't condemning the mass protests, then they should #### about the rally.

You don't get to have it both ways.

Plus, this is one rally in one town, not mass protests across the country.
If people want to go to the Trump pep rally have at it.

So you're equating peaceful protesters with rioters. That's disturbing and wrong.
I am? Haha.

Look at my various posts around the PF.

I bet I've mentioned the phrase 'peaceful protests' over a dozen times (probably way more).

If you want to have an honest discussion, tell me why CNN is condemning the rally & not the mass protests (if that's what they're peddling)?

I'll wait. I feel it's going to be more of the same, though. Much like BLM did no rioting, violence, & canceling. There are blinders & then there's a blind agenda. The latter is especially harmful.

I am? Haha.

Look at my various posts around the PF.

I bet I've mentioned the phrase 'peaceful protests' over a dozen times (probaly way more).

If you want to have an honest discussion, tell me why CNN is condemning the rallies & not the mass protests (if that's what they're peddling)?

I'll wait. I feel it's going to be more of the same, though. Much like BLM did no rioting, violence, & canceling. There are blinders & then there's a blind agenda. The latter is especially harmful.
I read too fast, and misread the post. My bad. Moving on.

A witness to what, someone putting a BLM sticker in storefront window? Does he have any proof that any member of BLM did this? 
Yep. Tons of other cases out there too.  BLMers looting stores. Have you been trapped in a cave the last 3 weeks?

No biggie . It's expected at this point.

To be honest, I'm disappointed. I know there's schtick & I get it, but this goes way beyond that.

Like I said, disappointing.
Hey @Football Jones been gone a while and I see you clarified what you meant. Thanks. 

So I discussed this issue in depth in another thread. At first glance this appears to be a clear double standard by CNN and the rest of the mainstream media. At closer inspection it’s a bit more complicated: 

1. CNN did have public health experts state their concern about the protests. But many of those same experts stated in a letter that the protests were so important that the health risk was worth it. They have not offered the same justification for the Trump rally. If you’re a conservative, you’re likely to assume that the the experts and the media are biased toward liberalism and pursuing a liberal agenda, thus the double standard. If you’re a liberal, you’re going to focus on the fact that the protests represented a special intense moment of change in society and this is worthy, perhaps, of ignoring health standard just this once, while a Trump rally, of which there have been and will be plenty, is not. Both of these perspectives have some validity IMO. 

2. Beyond that there are  two very significant differences between the protests and the rally. The protests were outside, and most protestors wore masks. The rally is going to be at a packed inside arena and reports are that Trump doesn’t want people to wear masks. Those reports have been challenged here but whether you believe them or not, I think we can all agree that Trump is not encouraging anyone to wear a mask. These two differences, per health experts, make the rally much riskier than the protests ever were. Now you can believe this or not; I find it pretty compelling. 

3. Finally, let’s assume that CNN and the rest did have a double standard in play; they should have warned more about the protests and they did not. Does this fact by itself make the rally any safer? To make the assumption: well they didn’t warn about the protests so why should we believe them now?  seems pretty nonsensical doesn’t it? What was reported or not reported about the protests should have no bearing on whether or not the rally is safe. 

Hey @Football Jones been gone a while and I see you clarified what you meant. Thanks. 

So I discussed this issue in depth in another thread. At first glance this appears to be a clear double standard by CNN and the rest of the mainstream media. At closer inspection it’s a bit more complicated: 

1. CNN did have public health experts state their concern about the protests. But many of those same experts stated in a letter that the protests were so important that the health risk was worth it. They have not offered the same justification for the Trump rally. If you’re a conservative, you’re likely to assume that the the experts and the media are biased toward liberalism and pursuing a liberal agenda, thus the double standard. If you’re a liberal, you’re going to focus on the fact that the protests represented a special intense moment of change in society and this is worthy, perhaps, of ignoring health standard just this once, while a Trump rally, of which there have been and will be plenty, is not. Both of these perspectives have some validity IMO. 

2. Beyond that there are  two very significant differences between the protests and the rally. The protests were outside, and most protestors wore masks. The rally is going to be at a packed inside arena and reports are that Trump doesn’t want people to wear masks. Those reports have been challenged here but whether you believe them or not, I think we can all agree that Trump is not encouraging anyone to wear a mask. These two differences, per health experts, make the rally much riskier than the protests ever were. Now you can believe this or not; I find it pretty compelling. 

3. Finally, let’s assume that CNN and the rest did have a double standard in play; they should have warned more about the protests and they did not. Does this fact by itself make the rally any safer? To make the assumption: well they didn’t warn about the protests so why should we believe them now?  seems pretty nonsensical doesn’t it? What was reported or not reported about the protests should have no bearing on whether or not the rally is safe. 
I appreciate your response.

The only thing I'll say is I highly doubt CNN is putting much thought into it (as you did). I believe they pounce on anything that could be configured negatively (especially in an election year) without any real insight.

People were going to mass protest Floyd & Trump is trying to hold a rally, both sides fighting for a cause. 

And record number of tests performed.  Duh. Their curve is so flat they could just stop testing and forget about it.  
Yeah, & I'm more concerned with the hospitalization rate which has been trending downward (in general) since early April. That's what should be the focus, IMO.

I'm in direct contact with some front-liners at a major Tulsa hospital on the COVID floor. We're easily holding our own.

Oklahoma never had official stay at home orders & opened early (May 1). If we continue to hold our own, it's a good indication we shutdown for WAY too long here in the US in all but the biggest hotspots like New York.

If you are concerned about the spread of the virus, your leanings on social injustice or political movements shouldn't have any influence. Pretty straight forward. I'm pretty sure COVID-19 doesn't care either. We can't pretend that some large gatherings are justified and others are not. Any experts of pundits putting this out there and/or ignoring COVID-19 when they agreed with the large gathering showed their own colors on this and should be ignored. This is just another reason that people don't trust what they see on TV.

There is no assumption about CNN having a double standard in play - they did. 

Trump should wear a mask and encourage others to do so. That literally goes against his own guidelines. Shameful.

Not everything is about politics or social leanings. Sometimes, it's pretty straight-forward and our news services (like CNN) are more interested in advancing an agenda than telling the truth.

It’s gettin’ real on Facebook around here.

I can tell you the enthusiasm for the trip is high. Not any talk about mask-wearing at the rally that I see. I only saw 3 or 4 people wearing masks today & all elderly except one. Didn’t go to a bunch of places, though.

The ramp that I descended after my West Point Commencement speech was very long & steep, had no handrail and, most importantly, was very slippery.

Hopefully the BOK can make sure and not make any ramps too steep. 

Brad Parscale @parscale

Just passed 800,000 tickets. Biggest data haul and rally signup of all time by 10x. ...
- Aside from the waiver something I think that is being overlooked is that people applying for tickets have to confirm by phone - this is a big data harvesting exercise. Sign away their rights once, sign it away twice, same act of applying for tickets.

Users who are viewing this thread