What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump coming to Tulsa. (1 Viewer)

So, I wonder if this is a huge turning point. If the Republican party notices the anchor and realizes it's time to abandon ship before they go down with the boat. 

Given their self preservation interests, wouldn't surprise me in the least. 
at least in 2008 they saw it coming and had 2010 to plan for (redistricting, census, etc.).  

i have a feeling this time they're going down with the ship and hope somehow they keep the senate

So, I wonder if this is a huge turning point. If the Republican party notices the anchor and realizes it's time to abandon ship before they go down with the boat. 

Given their self preservation interests, wouldn't surprise me in the least. 
I think this could be the turning point, now that the end game is in sight in November.  There’s just no way Trump will turn people in his favor.  It’s clear he’s no longer invincible, so who would be jumping ON his bandwagon now?  

How so?

This reminds me of when Howard Stern listeners made Hank the angry drunken dwarf the winner of every online poll.
Trump legitimately being unable to fill a venue to 50% capacity in OK is the kind of enthusiasm killer that could snowball into something big. I think Trump getting trolled is the kind of thing that increases enthusiasm and gives him an easy out.

tiktok groups taking responsibility for the low turnout kind of ruins the moment.
That's how my daughter was led to register for the rally.  Tik-Tok 1 - Brad Parscale 0, although it may be more more complicated than that.  In any event, such acts of political activism by a 51-year old grandmother and many thousands of younger people may have saved lives. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrymagid/2020/06/21/how-a-51-year-old-grandmother-and-thousands-of-teens-used-tiktok-to-derail-a-trump-rally--maybe-save-lives/#4bfee2d31a9b

Trump legitimately being unable to fill a venue to 50% capacity in OK is the kind of enthusiasm killer that could snowball into something big. I think Trump getting trolled is the kind of thing that increases enthusiasm and gives him an easy out.
Gotcha. Why would people taking free tickets effect that though?

A couple of years ago there was an article or a few articles about message board posting on reddit I think it was. The “new to politics, need to research things, have to go but just going to make one more point, but have come to the conclusion that libs are wrong on everything, etc”. This was circa 2016 and 2017 but the playbook was laid out.

”Heading out to the gym but I’ll continue my research since I’m just getting into politics now.  I did notice though that Hillary is into (insert lunacy here) so it will be interesting to see about Joe Biden whose son Hunter should be investigated too.”
Just want this to stay on each page for a while

Gotcha. Why would people taking free tickets effect that though?
Inflating the numbers gave the trump campaign the impression turnout would be huge. They had to set up, then break down, an overflow area when people weren't showing. This must have been a crushing blow to someone whose ego is driven by the notion of "big crowds" being an indicator of his self-worth.

Those in Tulsa and the surrounding areas may have thought, well with the attendance being so high they might not get a seat, have a higher chance of being exposed to the virus, or may have decided dealing with crowds, traffic, etc wasn't worth it.

Having grossly misjudged the attendance numbers was a huge blow to the trump campaign. I almost wonder if he's thinking this isn't worth it and bowing out.

Inflating the numbers gave the trump campaign the impression turnout would be huge. They had to set up, then break down, an overflow area when people weren't showing. This must have been a crushing blow to someone whose ego is driven by the notion of "big crowds" being an indicator of his self-worth.

Those in Tulsa and the surrounding areas may have thought, well with the attendance being so high they might not get a seat, have a higher chance of being exposed to the virus, or may have decided dealing with crowds, traffic, etc wasn't worth it.

Having grossly misjudged the attendance numbers was a huge blow to the trump campaign. I almost wonder if he's thinking this isn't worth it and bowing out.
I could definitely see this being a scenario. 

Not really a question for you but  why is this an easy out for Trump. If this were what happened just makes Trump and his pep rally planners look more dumb to me.

JamieMurphy said:

This is a good point. It actually reminds me of the mindset of many Democrats who stayed home in 2016. Why deal with the hassle of traffic and crowds when you know turnout is gonna be huge anyway, amirite??

I was talking about this earlier today. I think the rally crowd stroking his ego is the only thing he gets out of being president. I think fear of an independent DOJ will keep him in the race, but I think he will want to quit. 

I'm just going to caution all my friends on the left that underestimating or thinking that Donald Trump is ever "done" is a huge mistake.

This feels like a repeat of 2016 where everything that was supposed to be "the end" never was.

I mean, many people think the reason that Clinton lost is because many voters thought we "had this in the bag" and didn't show up to vote election. Meanwhile, all the people the guy charged up for the latter part of the year showed up big election day.

Another thing to caution about 2016 is that Hilary Clinton's platform was less about issues and more about how evil Donald Trump was.

Trump overestimating his rally size is one to of the biggest wins the left has seen this election cycle. But if we learned anything from 2016:

1.) Donald Trump thrives as the underdog.

2.) Unless Trump doesn't have a pulse, he always has a punchers chance of the silent majority showing up.

If you're serious about getting this guy out of the White House, you go for the throat now. Don't let him do this fake news, underdog bull#### that gets his people out in numbers.

Furthermore, if you look at the results from 2016 you can argue that the 40 to 65 year old vote won the election for him. Check the stats for yourself:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/631231/voter-turnout-of-the-exit-polls-of-the-2016-elections-by-age

These people are now 4 years older with doctors likely telling them NOT to leave the house, let alone attend a political rally.

Are you comfortable getting on an airplane? Are you comfortable attending an event of 500+ people? If the answer is anything else but an instant yes, then it's likely a big portion of Trump's base feels the same way.

Compound that with people aged 40 to 65 not wanting to deal with BLM / ANTIFA protests and yes, the son of a ##### does have a good chance of a silent majority coming in election day to screw us all again.

We act like 6,000 people is a small amount of people. I could be wrong but I don't think Joe Biden had support like that even before Coronavirus.

So we're pounding on our chests about how his campaign is over, when he's still drawing bigger crowds than our guy...

Everyone knows this.
Republicans have won three elections (23%) while losing the votes in the past thirteen.

*but did you also caution the Trump people that have been repeating "landslide!"?????????  :banned:
We need to focus on our side. I don't think we can win if Trump continues to dominate 90% of all news coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:

I read an interesting thread on twitter today from a guy who used to be a GOP campaign manager / strategist listing a number of ways the over-estimation of attendees hurt team Trump (sorry, too lazy tonight to search it out). 

He mentioned your point above about people potentially being scared off by the huge projected crowds - with even 100k people for a 19k capacity stadium, let alone 800k or more, people would think they wouldn’t get in, it would be hard to even get near the stadium, and especially the health risks with that big of a crowd would drive alot of people away. 

He also mentioned a number of other efforts that would normally happen before a rally - coordination with local GOP chapters to help with outreach, setting up contests to meet Trump/Pence backstage, and actually reaching out to registered people beforehand - that probably didn’t happen since they weren’t thought to be needed with such a big registrant list. 

It was an interesting look at how their overconfidence probably helped lead to the disappointing turnout. 

I'm still pleasantly surprised that a rally in a state he carried so well failed so hard. Whether it was because of teens, potential protesters, deciding to actually socially distance for a change, I think it showed that the American people are not quite as behind Trump as he'd like to believe they are.
I'm glad it was a flop. The last thing we need at this time is a MASSIVE COVID-19 and explosion. Every once in a while, the general public covers their end of the bargain.

We've seen a lot of stupid things the past few weeks, so hats off to the people who did stay home to prevent COVID spread.

When you do the right thing, sometimes people don't know you've done anything at all.

I could definitely see this being a scenario. 

Not really a question for you but  why is this an easy out for Trump. If this were what happened just makes Trump and his pep rally planners look more dumb to me.
I think that realizing your base is leaving you and having everyone in the country see it happen live would be significantly worse than everyone seeing you get punked. Now instead of having to explain why his support has tanked to embarrassing lows he just points to the left and says this was their fault im just as popular and loved as ever.

I'm glad it was a flop. The last thing we need at this time is a MASSIVE COVID-19 and explosion. Every once in a while, the general public covers their end of the bargain.

We've seen a lot of stupid things the past few weeks, so hats off to the people who did stay home to prevent COVID spread.

When you do the right thing, sometimes people don't know you've done anything at all.
I heartily agree, though I do wish the public hadn't decided that 4 weeks of quarantine was enough, when pandemics of this size will usually take much longer to burn out.

Pisses me off to hear this clown show play Petty.
I'm sure I'm late to this party, but thought you would enjoy this.  I sure did.

Tom Petty's family has issued a cease and desist notice against the Trump campaign after the late singer's 1989 hit "I Won't Back Down" was played at the president's Tulsa rally on Saturday. "Trump was in no way authorized to use this song to further a campaign that leaves too many Americans and common sense behind," the Petty family said in a statement posted to social media later that night.

The statement was issued by Adria, Annakim, Dana and Jane Petty, the musician's children, widow, and first wife.

Benmont Tench III, a founding member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, echoed their sentiment. "I in no way approve of Trump even whistling any piece of music associated with our band. I hope that's clear enough," he wrote in an Instagram post.

"I Won't Back Down" held a special place in Petty's heart, the Petty family noted: "Tom wrote this song for the underdog, for the common man and for EVERYONE." According to NPR, the song was considered an inspiration to many fans, who wrote to Petty about its impact on their lives.

How to apply for tickets to President Trump's Phoenix 'Students for Trump' event

President Donald Trump is expected to visit the Valley for a June 23 event, his second of multiple planned campaign stops in the coming weeks.

Last week, Trump announced that he would resume attending events across the nation, including the upcoming visit to Phoenix. His first stop will be on Saturday, June 20, in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

This is the third time Trump has visited the Valley so far this year -- in February he held a rally in downtown Phoenix, and, most recently, visited a local Honeywell mask facility on May 5.

As Arizona continues to see a rapid increase in coronavirus cases, health experts have discouraged gatherings of 10 or more people and recommended wearing masks if you cannot properly follow social distancing guidelines. Many experts worry that large gatherings like protests and rallies will continue to worsen the spread of the virus. ...
Ch. 15, Phoenix

Current covid case trend graph for AZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://ktar.com/story/3320997/phoenix-mayor-gallego-mask-policy-wont-be-enforced-at-trump-event/

Phoenix Mayor Gallego: Mask policy won't be enforced at Trump event

PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego said on Sunday that the city’s policy requiring face masks to be worn in public will not be enforced during President Donald Trump’s upcoming event at a Valley megachurch. 

“We are not going to be focused on enforcement during the rally,” Gallego said during an appearance on CNN. 

She added that she is hopeful Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey — who will attend the event — will take the opportunity to set an example regarding mask usage. 

“We would hope that our governor … can send a strong message,” she said. 

“He believes in masks and he could be a great spokesman for telling the young people who are there to wear masks. But the best spokesman would be the president — if he told everyone at that rally it was important to wear masks, I believe they would do it.” 

By a 7-2 vote, the Phoenix City Council issued a declaration Friday requiring those within city limits to wear a face covering when they are in public to curb further spreading of the coronavirus.

Gallego also asked Trump to reconsider whether the scheduled event is appropriate given Arizona’s current surge in confirmed coronavirus cases. 

The event is scheduled for June 23 at Dream City’s auditorium on Cave Creek Road north of Thunderbird Road. A person who answered the church’s phone Friday told KTAR News 92.3 FM that the venue has 3,000 seats.

The convention starts at 1:30 p.m. and concludes after Trump’s appearance, which is expected to begin at 3:40 p.m., according to a Students for Trump spokesperson. 

Students for Trump is a project of Turning Point Action, which is a sister group to Charlie Kirk’s Turning Point USA organization.

Prior to his appearance at the church, Trump will spend time in Yuma to survey the border wall and take part in a roundtable discussion with the local leaders and community members on border security.

Users who are viewing this thread