What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The CHAZ Thread (1 Viewer)

I haven't read much about this. What is their goal?
They've put out a list of demands, but in reality the whole thing looks and smells a lot like Occupy Wall Street (disorganized, and mostly attended by folks who are just riding the wave), and will likely be met with the same fate in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess all of these "hard working " people were given time off from their jobs to participate in this hahahaha. Hopefully they roll the military in there  and boot these idiots out along with that joke of a mayor. 

“ANTIFA Is Asking For Soy Milk, Tofu, And Vegan Cheese After Their "Autonomous Zone" In Seattle Was Robbed Of Its Food.

Free food is offered in CHAZ…or at least, I guess it was. CHAZ invited the homeless population into their autonomous zone, which resulted in their food to be stolen “

:lol:

State of Washington, city of Seattle. 1000 miles from me nothing I can do about it. Back to worrying about things where I live that I can do something about.

This is a neighborhood close to downtown Seattle. Probably closest area we have to say Brooklyn type atmosphere.

I'm about 5 miles away and was going to ride my bike over there to see what was going on but weather is pretty crap today so may not make it. Texted my friend who lives very close and he said they just blocked off the area and people are hanging out, set up stands. Sort of like hippies but millennial versions.

It's pretty wild

There's no real goal right now it sounds like and not really sure how this ends. I :think: the mayor just hopes it peters out.

Apparently something similar to this happened in one of the huge parks in the Seattle area with some Native Americans in the early 70's.

This is a neighborhood close to downtown Seattle. Probably closest area we have to say Brooklyn type atmosphere.

I'm about 5 miles away and was going to ride my bike over there to see what was going on but weather is pretty crap today so may not make it. Texted my friend who lives very close and he said they just blocked off the area and people are hanging out, set up stands. Sort of like hippies but millennial versions.

It's pretty wild

There's no real goal right now it sounds like and not really sure how this ends. I :think: the mayor just hopes it peters out.

Apparently something similar to this happened in one of the huge parks in the Seattle area with some Native Americans in the early 70's.
Are the businesses there able to operate normally? People who live there able to come and go freely, safely?

Are the businesses there able to operate normally? People who live there able to come and go freely, safely?
According to locals in the subreddit linked above (and articles I've posted in the Antifa thread), yes. They've actually seen a large increase in business due to all of the people around.

Then what is the issue? 
The language used is certainly inflammatory, so I can understand apprehension from those on the right. In typical fashion though, they're latching on to false reports from people like Andy Ngo and conspiracy/propaganda news sources about "roving gangs of armed Antifa extorting businesses" etc. As @The General said, I think the "adults in the room" are waiting for things to die out on their own. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Worst case, I think we get to see how Trump would have dealt with the Occupy movement -- and I don't think that would be pretty.

The language used is certainly inflammatory, so I can understand apprehension from those on the right. In typical fashion though, they're latching on to false reports from people like Andy Ngo and conspiracy/propaganda news sources about "roving gangs of armed Antifa extorting businesses" etc. As @The General said, I think the "adults in the room" are waiting for things to die out on their own. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Worst case, I think we get to see how Trump would have dealt with the Occupy movement -- and I don't think that would be pretty.
Exactly my take.

My wife's brother actually called to make sure we were ok which was very nice but yeah it is very overblown. The first weekend was much, much worse in Seattle as far as I can tell. 5 miles away may as well be the dark side of the moon.

I was a just a couple miles away from downtown and this CHAZ zone few days ago supporting some of the local beer places that just reopened (just doing my part :lol:  ) and you couldn't even tell that anything was going on. Looked like a normal sunny Tuesday afternoon. 

This is a fluid situation though so so who knows what will happen.

From the other thread, a list of their demands:

Given the historical moment, we’ll begin with our demands pertaining to the Justice System.

The Seattle Police Department and attached court system are beyond reform. We do not request reform, we demand abolition. We demand that the Seattle Council and the Mayor defund and abolish the Seattle Police Department and the attached Criminal Justice Apparatus. This means 100% of funding, including existing pensions for Seattle Police. At an equal level of priority we also demand that the city disallow the operations of ICE in the city of Seattle.

In the transitionary period between now and the dismantlement of the Seattle Police Department, we demand that the use of armed force be banned entirely. No guns, no batons, no riot shields, no chemical weapons, especially against those exercising their First Amendment right as Americans to protest.

We demand an end to the school-to-prison pipeline and the abolition of youth jails. Get kids out of prison, get cops out of schools. We also demand that the new youth prison being built in Seattle currently be repurposed.

We demand that not the City government, nor the State government, but that the Federal government launch a full-scale investigation into past and current cases of police brutality in Seattle and Washington, as well as the re-opening of all closed cases reported to the Office of Police Accountability. In particular, we demand that cases particular to Seattle and Washington be reopened where no justice has been served, namely the cases of Iosia Faletogo, Damarius Butts, Isaiah Obet, Tommy Le, Shaun Fuhr, and Charleena Lyles.

We demand reparations for victims of police brutality, in a form to be determined.

We demand that the City of Seattle make the names of officers involved in police brutality a matter of public record. Anonymity should not even be a privilege in public service.

We demand a retrial of all People in Color currently serving a prison sentence for violent crime, by a jury of their peers in their community.

We demand decriminalization of the acts of protest, and amnesty for protestors generally, but specifically those involved in what has been termed “The George Floyd Rebellion” against the terrorist cell that previously occupied this area known as the Seattle Police Department. This includes the immediate release of all protestors currently being held in prison after the arrests made at 11th and Pine on Sunday night and early Saturday morning June 7th and 8th, and any other protesters arrested in the past two weeks of the uprising, the name Evan Hreha in particular comes to mind who filmed Seattle police macing a young girl and is now in jail.

We demand that the City of Seattle and the State Government release any prisoner currently serving time for a marijuana-related offense and expunge the related conviction.

We demand the City of Seattle and State Government release any prisoner currently serving time just for resisting arrest if there are no other related charges, and that those convictions should also be expunged.

We demand that prisoners currently serving time be given the full and unrestricted right to vote, and for Washington State to pass legislation specifically breaking from Federal law that prevents felons from being able to vote.

We demand an end to prosecutorial immunity for police officers in the time between now and the dissolution of the SPD and extant justice system.

We demand the abolition of imprisonment, generally speaking, but especially the abolition of both youth prisons and privately-owned, for-profit prisons.

We demand in replacement of the current criminal justice system the creation of restorative/transformative accountability programs as a replacement for imprisonment.

We demand autonomy be given to the people to create localized anti-crime systems.

We demand that the Seattle Police Department, between now and the time of its abolition in the near future, empty its “lost and found” and return property owned by denizens of the city.

We demand justice for those who have been sexually harassed or abused by the Seattle Police Department or prison guards in the state of Washington.

We demand that between now and the abolition of the SPD that each and every SPD officer turn on their body cameras, and that the body camera video of all Seattle police should be a matter of easily accessible public record.

We demand that the funding previously used for Seattle Police be redirected into: A) Socialized Health and Medicine for the City of Seattle. B) Free public housing, because housing is a right, not a privilege. C) Public education, to decrease the average class size in city schools and increase teacher salary. D) Naturalization services for immigrants to the United States living here undocumented. (We demand they be called “undocumented” because no person is illegal.) E) General community development. Parks, etc.

We also have economic demands that must be addressed.

We demand the de-gentrification of Seattle, starting with rent control.

We demand the restoration of city funding for arts and culture to re-establish the once-rich local cultural identity of Seattle.

We demand free college for the people of the state of Washington, due to the overwhelming effect that education has on economic success, and the correlated overwhelming impact of poverty on people of color, as a form of reparations for the treatment of Black people in this state and country.

We demand that between now and the abolition of the SPD that Seattle Police be prohibited from performing “homeless sweeps” that displace and disturb our homeless neighbors, and on equal footing we demand an end to all evictions.

We demand a decentralized election process to give the citizens of Seattle a greater ability to select candidates for public office such that we are not forced to choose at the poll between equally undesirable options. There are multiple systems and policies in place which make it impractical at best for working-class people to run for public office, all of which must go, starting with any fees associated with applying to run for public office.

Related to economic demands, we also have demands pertaining to what we would formally call “Health and Human Services.”

We demand the hospitals and care facilities of Seattle employ black doctors and nurses specifically to help care for black patients.

We demand the people of Seattle seek out and proudly support Black-owned businesses. Your money is our power and sustainability.

We demand that the city create an entirely separate system staffed by mental health experts to respond to 911 calls pertaining to mental health crises, and insist that all involved in such a program be put through thorough, rigorous training in conflict de-escalation.

Finally, let us now address our demands regarding the education system in the City of Seattle and State of Washington.

We demand that the history of Black and Native Americans be given a significantly greater focus in the Washington State education curriculum.

We demand that thorough anti-bias training become a legal requirement for all jobs in the education system, as well as in the medical profession and in mass media.

We demand the City of Seattle and State of Washington remove any and all monuments dedicated to historical figures of the Confederacy, whose treasonous attempts to build an America with slavery as a permanent fixture were an affront to the human race.

Exactly my take.

My wife's brother actually called to make sure we were ok which was very nice but yeah it is very overblown. The first weekend was much, much worse in Seattle as far as I can tell. 5 miles away may as well be the dark side of the moon.

I was a just a couple miles away from downtown and this CHAZ zone few days ago supporting some of the local beer places that just reopened (just doing my part :lol:  ) and you couldn't even tell that anything was going on. Looked like a normal sunny Tuesday afternoon. 

Right, my friend's dad was ranting about it and he made it sound like it was the siege of Vicksburg down there lol 

30 minute interview with Mike Solan, President of the Seattle Police Officer's Guild.  LINK

This should be required reading if you want to have an honest discussion on what is going on.

Exactly my take.

The idiots come out at night.

Will do. If I don't go today I will make it next week for sure when the weather has cleared up. It sounds like it will be around for awhile.
I was looking forward in hearing your report today , our weather sucks for the next  few days so im assuming yours will be the same 

Exactly my take.

Give us your honest opinion of Mayer Durkan and the City Council members.  In general how they've handled crime, addiction and homelessness in your town.  It's relevant because that's what has allowed this situation to grow to the crap fest it is today.

The idiots come out at night.
I hadn't heard too much. Watch a bit of the local news at night (first time this is actually watchable in years honestly) and I hadn't seen anything close to what we had the first weekend downtown..

Also could see this getting really messy as "real life" situations start creeping in. Protesters weren't moving, the city felt they have some legitimate issues but yes, I don't see this ending particularly well but I am a cynic.

I was looking forward in hearing your report today , our weather sucks for the next  few days so im assuming yours will be the same 
Yeah. I'm not driving over there and with a bike I could blend in and sort of mingle. Been riding every afternoon already this is just a bit further and the hood is named "Capitol Hill" for a reason, it's kind of a ##### of a ride for my lazy ###.

I hadn't heard too much. Watch a bit of the local news at night (first time this is actually watchable in years honestly) and I hadn't seen anything close to what we had the first weekend downtown..

Also could see this getting really messy as "real life" situations start creeping in. Protesters weren't moving, the city felt they have some legitimate issues but yes, I don't see this ending particularly well but I am a cynic.
Then you've seen what the police station looks like.  "A normal Tuesday afternoon" is about as inaccurate as you could describe it, and that doesn't matter whether you are with the protesters or against them.  

Give us your honest opinion of Mayer Durkan and the City Council members.  In general how they've handled crime, addiction and homelessness in your town.  It's relevant because that's what has allowed this situation to grow to the crap fest it is today.
Durkan seems ok to me. Not great, not awful. City Council I really don't even know what they do most of the time. I really should be more focused on this, just lazy. 

In general this is a really great city. Not sure how much this has to do with our local government or if it's a factor of the beautiful setting, the jobs, the good economy, overall culture etc. I guess I'd have to give them some credit for fostering it.

Big cities have problems. I have never been to one that doesn't have issues with homelessness, crime, etc.

I used to travel all around for work pre-covid and would definitely have Seattle in my top tier. Hometown bias and all though.

Then you've seen what the police station looks like.  "A normal Tuesday afternoon" is about as inaccurate as you could describe it, and that doesn't matter whether you are with the protesters or against them.  
I was saying I was relatively close to this area and there wasn't a hint of anything going on. Grabbed beers and went to a big park to meet a buddy and where you look at downtown and the northwestern side of Cap Hill.

A couple miles doesn't seem far, I could have walked there in 45 mins.

If I didn't watch the news it would not even have existed to me and the hundreds of people that were out and about. That's not to say it's not a wild situation just saying it is very contained to a small area.

Durkan seems ok to me. Not great, not awful. City Council I really don't even know what they do most of the time. I really should be more focused on this, just lazy. 

In general this is a really great city. Not sure how much this has to do with our local government or if it's a factor of the beautiful setting, the jobs, the good economy, overall culture etc. I guess I'd have to give them some credit for fostering it.

Big cities have problems. I have never been to one that doesn't have issues with homelessness, crime, etc.

I used to travel all around for work pre-covid and would definitely have Seattle in my top tier. Hometown bias and all though.
:mellow:

Have you listened to Mike Solan then for this situation?

Then what is the issue? 
The issue is that it's all happening peacefully and without resistance.  It threatens the right's narrative that these are all 'thugs and looters' and so tantrums are being thrown from people hundreds or thousands of miles away because this isn't following their desired path.  They didn't plan for this and it bothers them.  That's the issue.  

According to locals in the subreddit linked above (and articles I've posted in the Antifa thread), yes. They've actually seen a large increase in business due to all of the people around.
And apparently there was a rumor about a cow that wasn't true...read that in one of the comments.  I mean, cooler if they had a cow as a mascot I guess.

And apparently there was a rumor about a cow that wasn't true...read that in one of the comments.  I mean, cooler if they had a cow as a mascot I guess.
A garage band
from Seattle.
Well it sure beats
raising cattle.

Users who are viewing this thread